Ariel Castro pleads not guilty - 6/12/2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in our justice system and think everyone deserves a fair trial...but honestly, the first words that came to my head were: "Just kill him now."

Unless a major bombshell occurs during trial - like a victim changing her statement or evidence tampering - I see him being convicted on all counts except perhaps the 2 counts of aggravated murder, since the only evidence to those crimes are anecdotal.

It makes me sick, but there was really no reason for him to plead otherwise. What "incentive" did he have to plead guilty? Somehow I didn't expect a sudden sense of morality to come over him.

I really hope that whatever happens the prosecutors/court can work it so that these 3 don't have to testify, unless they want to. I also hope they're each given the choice to testify or not, if possible. They've had their freedoms and choices taken away for far, far too long.

Unless a major bombshell occurs during trial - like a victim changing her statement or evidence tampering - I see him being convicted on all counts except perhaps the 2 counts of aggravated murder, since the only evidence to those crimes are anecdotal.

This got me wondering: I know it's possible for a doctor to tell if a woman has ever given birth, but is there a way to tell if she's ever been pregnant and miscarried?

I'd think the women would be witness for each other if there was a baby killed and expelled from the womb. Surely doctors can tell if there was a pregancy of at least a few months. It wouldn't suprise me to eventually hear that a recognizeable baby ( that the women knew was baby) was lost at some point after a beating. I had a doctor once that diagnosed early miscarriage just from symptoms described over the phone. I hope they get medical experts and nail his arse for murder instead of letting it go.

The Not Guilty plea is a way for the defense attorneys to start negotiations toward a plea deal. Castro's attorneys are trying to get the death penalty off the table.

If it comes to a trial, the defense may be something like "they stayed in the house voluntarily." Or it may be the Crazy Card-Castro was insane, or some variant thereof.

The final result could be Castro pleads guilty and is sentenced to life, no trial.

If it comes to a trial, the defense may be something like "they stayed in the house voluntarily."

I think that defense would be somewhat laughable since we all know the story about how bystanders had to break down the front door to help them escape.

The boarded up windows and locked doors would be a pretty good indication that they were not staying in the house voluntarily.

I think that defense would be somewhat laughable since we all know the story about how bystanders had to break down the front door to help them escape.

The boarded up windows and locked doors would be a pretty good indication that they were not staying in the house voluntarily.

My FIL believes the women must have liked being there or they would have found a way to escape. I'm sure there are other fools who think the same way. The defense only needs one of them to hang the jury or even sway the other jury members into voting not guilty. I know it seems impossible but if Casey Anthony, who was so obviously guilty, can walk away scott free, why not Castro? I lost all faith in our court system after the OJ trial.

My FIL believes the women must have liked being there or they would have found a way to escape. I'm sure there are other fools who think the same way. The defense only needs one of them to hang the jury or even sway the other jury members into voting not guilty. I know it seems impossible but if Casey Anthony, who was so obviously guilty, can walk away scott free, why not Castro? I lost all faith in our court system after the OJ trial.

OJ and Anthony are always there as reminders to us that you never know what will happen in court. But I still pretty much have faith in our justice system.

But it is good to keep those in mind. And they also give some understanding as to why sometimes prosecutors even take pleas to lesser deals.

He is facing 329 counts.... so in with a chance of several convictions even on the most serious charges.

My guess is a plea deal... to avoid DP.

Ariel Castro, 52, appeared in court for a brief hearing as Cuyahoga County Judge Michael Russo said he was aiming to begin the trial by Aug. 4, meeting a 90-day speedy trial requirement. Castro was arrested May 6, and the speedy trial requirement could be waived to allow more preparation time.

snip...More charges are possible. McGinty told the judge that additional evidence would be presented to a grand jury over the next few weeks.
http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/crime/hearing-for-ohio-man-accused-of-kidnapping-3-women/nYPQ6/

Usually defendants will waive that speedy trial and go for a later trial date to allow more time for the attorneys to prepare their case.

The big question seems to be whether or not the prosecution will seek the death penalty. In order to do that the prosecution will have to provide evidence that Michelle was pregnant, and that Castro did cause the miscarriages. Defense says so far they haven't seen any evidence that shows that.

Ariel Castro, 52, appeared in court for a brief hearing as Cuyahoga County Judge Michael Russo said he was aiming to begin the trial by Aug. 4, meeting a 90-day speedy trial requirement. Castro was arrested May 6, and the speedy trial requirement could be waived to allow more preparation time.

snip...More charges are possible. McGinty told the judge that additional evidence would be presented to a grand jury over the next few weeks.
http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/crime/hearing-for-ohio-man-accused-of-kidnapping-3-women/nYPQ6/

Usually defendants will waive that speedy trial and go for a later trial date to allow more time for the attorneys to prepare their case.

The big question seems to be whether or not the prosecution will seek the death penalty. In order to do that the prosecution will have to provide evidence that Michelle was pregnant, and that Castro did cause the miscarriages. Defense says so far they haven't seen any evidence that shows that.

From that article:

Outside court, Castro attorney Craig Weintraub said the defense was focused on whether the prosecution had enough evidence to get an aggravated murder conviction for an allegedly forced miscarriage involving one of the women. The prosecutor hasn't said whether he would pursue the death penalty.

Isn't this (bold) basically an admission of guilt by the defense? They aren't saying Castro didn't cause Michele to miscarry, they're wondering if the prosecution can prove that he did. Why would they even wonder that if it never happened?

Ariel Castro speaks for the first time since his arrest

Castro has already been indicted on 329 charges in connection with the kidnappings of 32-year-old Michelle Knight, 27-year-old Amanda Berry, and 23-year-old Gina DeJesus. Now, prosecutors say they plan to present new evidence to the grand jury over the next two weeks that could lead to additional charges being filed.
http://www.examiner.com/article/ariel-castro-speaks-for-the-first-time-since-his-arrest

Castro's lawyers have filed a speedy-trial motion, which would mean the case would have to be tried by August 4. However, that deadline could change if Castro's attorneys change course and ask for more time to prepare for the case.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/justice/ohio-castro-hearing

Well this is different. Usually they try to delay it as much as possible. Sounds like they want the trial before the results of all the evidence comes in.

Judge limits calls for Ariel Castro

Judge Michael Russo says defendant Ariel Castro is allowed to write or call only his mother and sister, and that calls will be monitored by an officer.

The judge says three-way calls aren't allowed and calls will be terminated if anyone besides Castro's mother or sister is heard on the call.
http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/304956/45/Judge-limits-calls-for-Ariel-Castro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member