Arizona girl, 2, left in car by father on 109-degree day and is found dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have been thinking, every year 40-50 kids are left in hot cars. Is there a way to change a car/car seat configuration so that a siren starts if you leave the kid in the car alone? Something like it? Because obviously, we can’t rely on humans?
I agree. People are fallible and exercise different degrees of neglect and distraction and such. Vulnerable children deserve protection. Engineers and regulators work on this.

Not too far in the future I could imagine a parent and child (any dependent) wearing shared bracelets that transmits feeling of physical or emotional stress from dependent to caregiver. (just for example) It could be sharing physical pain, discomfort like temperature, even rapid heartbeat or unusual breathing patterns. I feel like 90% of these cases would be avoided if the parent knew what their child was experiencing.

The vast majority of these parents are not monsters and just need help being better and more attentive parents when distracted or overwhelmed by their own issues. Tech can help.

I think there is a real need for a backseat camera type of device to have that sends you regular images of the back seat with a chime or alert system until you turn it off.

However, in CS's case, he deliberately and customarily left the helpless child in the back seat so he would likely disable it or put it on ignore. I would be suspect that he usually left her there for more than the "30 minutes" the engine ran and the A/C was on.

It can't be like the passenger seat seat belt chime that only lets you know if there is a weight in the front seat and the seat belt isn't buckled. Children in these back seat disasters are usually seat belted in and an alarm that just senses weight on a seat is going to drive you nuts if you regularly have things in the back seat.

I think Honda does a good job in their manual on children's safety, but I agree that a simple idiot light on the control panel is not enough notice that you actually have left a child in the back and is very easy to overlook, ignore, or disable.

Last edited:
I think there is a real need for a backseat camera type of device to have that sends you regular images of the back seat with a chime or alert system until you turn it off.

However, in CS's case, he deliberately and customarily left the helpless child in the back seat so he would likely disable it or put it on ignore. I would be suspect that he usually left her there for more than the "30 minutes" the engine ran and the A/C was on.

"It can't be like the passenger seat seat belt chime that only lets you know if there is a weight in the front seat and the seat belt isn't buckled. Children in these back seat disasters are usually seat belted in and an alarm that just senses weight on a seat is going to drive you nuts if you regularly have things in the back seat.

I think Honda does a good job in their manual on children's safety, but I agree that a simple idiot light on the control panel is not enough notice that you actually have left a child in the back and is very easy to overlook, ignore, or disable.

We had a rental car with a "back seat" minder in it. I found it very annoying and wished I could have turned it off. We had no kids in the back, just luggage, my husband's oxygen stuff, walker, wheelchair..that triggered it. I don't remember what car it was...maybe a Chrysler Pacifica..

We had a rental car with a "back seat" minder in it. I found it very annoying and wished I could have turned it off. We had no kids in the back, just luggage, my husband's oxygen stuff, walker, wheelchair..that triggered it. I don't remember what car it was...maybe a Chrysler Pacifica..

Yes, there is some type of technology available, but unless you really want notifications, it can easily be bypassed.

I really don't think CS liked being bothered with alarms when he was inside the nice cool house playing with his PlayStation. That's the problem. He just wanted alone time, he didn't want to be bothered with a fussy 2 year old either inside the car or inside the house.

I find this article interesting, it states that CS "tore" through the house "searching" for the victim. When his wife came home and inquired where the two year old toddler was...

Who has ever left a toddler for hours in a house with checking on them? Or them bothering you for something every two minutes? I just can't believe that CS was so into his PlayStation that he had no clue of time. Isn't his court date tomorrow?

I find this article interesting, it states that CS "tore" through the house "searching" for the victim. When his wife came home and inquired where the two year old toddler was...

Who has ever left a toddler for hours in a house with checking on them? Or them bothering you for something every two minutes? I just can't believe that CS was so into his PlayStation that he had no clue of time. Isn't his court date tomorrow?

I assume they have a pool. With little kids, I would be terrified they had made their way into the pool without me knowing and would be watching them all like a hawk, maybe even have them all within a sight line.

Please note that the news outlet did not name the girl:

The News 4 Tucson Investigators discovered that Scholtes has a 16-year-old daughter from a previous relationship.

"It makes plenty of sense, actually I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner," she said. "{Once} I had to go sit out in the car for four to five hours and continuously had to restart the car and had only eaten once that day."

She has Type 1 diabetes so that proved dangerous for her.

She said eventually, against her wishes, Scholtes was able to get custody of her and she spent four years living with him and his wife Erika.

She described that period as a nightmare.

Much more at the link, including a statement from Marana police indicating they have now spoken to the girl and were unaware of the DCS reports that resulted in her being removed from Chris’ custody.

I’m just going to say it: It appears that the father’s behavior regarding using his car as a babysitter was well known to the family for a number of years and yet it continued with no action taken to stop him.

IMO children deserve to feel safe and protected in their family. It’s their RIGHT not a privilege.
All MOO

They took a VR headset and half full glass from the coffee table, may have been out of sight/hearing, virtually speaking.

Yes, there is some type of technology available, but unless you really want notifications, it can easily be bypassed.

I really don't think CS liked being bothered with alarms when he was inside the nice cool house playing with his PlayStation. That's the problem. He just wanted alone time, he didn't want to be bothered with a fussy 2 year old either inside the car or inside the house.
LE seized a VR headset, he would not necessarily see or hear a notification.

They took a VR headset and half full glass from the coffee table, may have been out of sight/hearing, virtually speaking.

I hope that they perform a full autopsy, including a toxicology panel for substances. The fact that CS did not find it odd that a toddler did not bother him for hours...makes me wonder why...

The News 4 Tucson Investigators discovered that Scholtes has a 16-year-old daughter from a previous relationship.

"It makes plenty of sense, actually I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner," she said. "{Once} I had to go sit out in the car for four to five hours and continuously had to restart the car and had only eaten once that day."

She said eventually, against her wishes, Scholtes was able to get custody of her and she spent four years living with him and his wife Erika.

Much more at the link, including a statement from Marana police indicating they have now spoken to the girl and were unaware of the DCS reports that resulted in her being removed from Chris’ custody.

This guy never should have been released from jail. He should never have had a child in his "care" either. JMO

I hope that they perform a full autopsy, including a toxicology panel for substances. The fact that CS did not find it odd that a toddler did not bother him for hours...makes me wonder why...
He knew she was restrained in the car where he left her. With an iPad, father of the year. JMOO.

His poor older daughter, my heart goes out to her. She has been through so much.

As per the new article it seems like dad has been checked out for years. And yeah it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s been drinking or drugging while caring for his children.

That’s why IMO blood should be drawn in every single hot car case. It’s important to sort out legitimate “Swiss cheese memory” occurrences from deliberate neglect.
JMO

ETA link:

WHAT? Her account of his treatment of her is terrible. Juvenile Type 1 diabetes is nothing to mess with or treat casually by neglecting it.

If this is true- WOW.

poor girl
glad she has her Mom's friend now to help her heal

WHAT? Her account of his treatment of her is terrible. Juvenile Type 1 diabetes is nothing to mess with or treat casually by neglecting it.

If this is true- WOW.

Wow, is right. Did she live with CS and his current wife? Seriously, I wonder if he had "Xanny the Nanny" for his toddler. That is why I am hoping that there is a full blood screen done.

Wow, is right. Did she live with CS and his current wife? Seriously, I wonder if he had "Xanny the Nanny" for his toddler. That is why I am hoping that there is a full blood screen done.
Yes, she lived with them for 4 years until she tried to take her life. Child Protective Services removed her from the home.

Crazy, CS fought for custody then proceeded to behave in his usual manner and stuck her in the car for hours on end. It makes me ask if he fought for custody in order to dodge child support.
MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove