Arkansas Executes First Person In More Than a Decade

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And I also can't help but wonder if rushing to execute people because of an expiring drug without exhausting all evidence is prudent.
Rushing? It's been over two decades.
Yes - the only time I have read/heard of one using the term 'one in thousands, billion, trillions' is in relation to DNA profiles.

Lee was asking for DNA testing since his conviction - seems it did not come up at trial. Questioning if there was any evidence collected to test. Find it hard to believe there wasn't anything to test - regardless of what the outcome would be.

Lee was arrested the same day - his clothing should have been covered in the victims blood. He apparently stopped and talked to a 'witness' right after the murder - he should have been covered in blood. The 'witness' that 'followed' him should have seen him covered in blood. No mention of that.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

More than likely our justice system. I don't pretend to know the law but I would think appeals and new testing etc takes time especially for someone already convicted.
I'm very much aware of the appeals process for convicted inmates facing the death sentence. That said, I would not call waiting over two decades to carry out an execution as 'rushing'. Appeals have run their course.

Reactions: abr
Rushing? It's been over two decades.

They are rushing to execute 8 before the expiration of drugs they use.

Picking a time to execute because of expiring drugs is rushing to me in my opinion.

I don't think anyone gets a choice on when their cases are heard, but I do know that they were trying to get DNA testing done to prove his innocence.

Honestly I have no dog in this fight except that I think every bit of evidence should be combed over before putting a human to death. If his DNA was never tested and there is something to test then yes I would like it to be tested before he was put to death.

I mean no disrespect to the family of the victim, in fact I'm thinking of them when I say it will mess them up forever if it turned out this man was innocent.

What do I think about planning eight executions in a row? These murderers have lived twenty plus years longer than they allowed their victims. I say "What took so long?"

I will tell you what I believe, Lonetraveler, first off, convicts are tried in court and the law gives justice. I respect that and believe everyone deserves a fair and impartial trial.
That said, before the execution takes place there should be no doubt at all this prisoner is guilty as charged. I also believe, as human beings that whoever is to be executed, is put to death in the fairest way possible because we are not the murderers who kill in evil cold blood, but are just carrying out the state law.
This waiting 20 years crap, is just that, crap. JMHO

Marcel Williams and Jack Jones are guilty, no doubt bout it and Jones is meeting his maker and probably wishing he would have been a much better person. JMO :devil:

I do feel real bad and my heart breaks for these two murderers families as they did not deserve this. And as always, I'm thinking about, Stacy Errickson, her family, friends and loved ones as well as Mary Phillips, her daughter Lacy and their family, friends and loved ones.

Arkansas executes two inmates in one night, first state to do so since 2000

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/2...ne-night-first-state-to-do-so-since-2000.html

Williams was sent to death row for the 1994 rape and killing of 22-year-old Stacy Errickson, whom he kidnapped from a gas station in central Arkansas.
Authorities said Williams abducted and raped two other women in the days before he was arrested in Errickson's death. Williams admitted responsibility to the state Parole Board last month.
Jones was sent to death row for the 1995 rape and killing of Mary Phillips. He strangled her with the cord to a coffee pot.
He was also convicted of attempting to kill Phillips' 11-year-old daughter and was convicted in another rape and killing in Florida.

Kenneth Williams has been executed. Earlier a federal district judge declined further stays and the circuit court of appeals agreed. Even though there were no stays, the State of Arkansas held off on the execution until the Supreme Court likewise declined to intervene.

She wasn't so much complaining, but was stating that it takes a toll on the prison staff, the doctor present, the executioner, etc. and it was her position that doing 8 in a row would be too much for everyone to handle.

This is not to say that these executions should not happen. I don't know anything about these cases. I'm saying 8 in a row is a bit much.

And yet Albert Pierrepoint hanged 11 Nazi war criminals in one day at half hour intervals without apparently suffering any psychological ill effects from the experience. In total he hanged over 400 people during the course of his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Pierrepoint

Kenneth Williams has been executed. Earlier a federal district judge declined further stays and the circuit court of appeals agreed. Even though there were no stays, the State of Arkansas held off on the execution until the Supreme Court likewise declined to intervene.
I'm sorry, but the only sympathy I can muster up is "too bad so sad". As you can tell my sympathies lie totally with the victim and their families.

Question.

These guys were on Deathrow for a decade or more. So why couldn't they all be executed?

So why are lawyers acting like more time was needed for guys sitting on Deathrow for 15 years or so?

Question.

These guys were on Deathrow for a decade or more. So why couldn't they all be executed?

So why are lawyers acting like more time was needed for guys sitting on Deathrow for 15 years or so?
That's my question exactly. IMO there is absolutely no viable reason these murderers should not have been executed. Doesn't really matter if they were all executed closely together, all the executions were past due and fully warranted.

Not speaking of these cases in particular but just in general...

It takes a long time to execute most inmates because there are a lot of options available for them to prove their "innocence" in our justice system, add to that they are inmates and they are usually not a high priority until a date of execution is set.

DNA and forensic testing has come along way and some of the latest and greatest testing wasn't available to some of these folks. But again they aren't a high priority so it takes time and usually a lot of letter writing, begging on the part of the inmate and family to get someone to take their case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2021/05/04/ledell-lee-dna-execution/

Four years after a man’s execution, lawyers say DNA from the murder weapon points to someone else

Ledell Lee was executed for murder in a flurry of lethal injections that divided the Supreme Court and proceeded despite lawyers’ calls for DNA testing.

“No one should be executed when there is a possibility that person is innocent,” attorney Nina Morrison said in April 2017, just after Lee — convicted in the 1990s — became the first person put to death in Arkansas in more than a decade. The state drew national scrutiny for moving aggressively through capital cases before one of its drugs used in executions expired.

Four years later, attorneys say genetic material from the murder weapon in Lee’s case points to someone else.

New testing found DNA from an unknown man on the handle of the bloody club apparently used to bludgeon Debra Reese to death, according to lawyers who sued the city of Jacksonville, Ark., to have old evidence analyzed. The Innocence Project, the American Civil Liberties Union and Lee’s family sought the testing last year in an unusual effort to exonerate someone with DNA testing even after the person’s execution.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polkaroo9
Back