ARREST!!! Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 -#23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I noticed it too.

"Asked if anyone else could be charged in connection with Mrs Baden-Clay's death, Detective Superintendent Mark Ainsworth said he could not comment.

"All I can say is the major incident room is still running. There is probably in excess of 15 detectives still in there," Supt Ainsworth said.

SO MAYBE MORE ARRESTS THEN?

I believe in general, people now-a-days are less respectful of other people than say 100 years ago. It would be interesting to know what the stats say about murder percentages of now and then.
I thought that was an interesting question too, so I looked it up:
In 1915 in Australia, the homicide rate was 1.8 per 100,000 population. In 1998 it was 1.6 per 100,000.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4524A092E30E4486CA2569DE00256331

From earlier in the same paper ("Crime in twentieth century Australia" by Adam Graycar):
Australia was a less violent society at the end of the twentieth century than it was at the end of the nineteenth or eighteenth centuries.
But it does also say that it's a difficult to make comparisons. Crimes have been defined and measured differently over the years.

Thanks for the alert CIB , I had googled about ten minutes ago and not found anything new. Article seems to contradict what was said in news bulletins last night . The news bulletins said police were not making more arrests, but this arcticle alludes to the possibility of more arrests.

An auctioneer i know that works for the government has a saying when he sees people shaking their heads in relation to a bid ..."yes means no and no means yes" I'm tending to apply that here. Ainsworth isn't about to give the game up here IMO

I also found it interesting in the forensic testing article they say this:

"In terms of a murder, we would be seeking to give police information to aid their investigation along the lines of . . . if a suspect's DNA profile appears in any of the samples taken from the crime scene," Mr Shaw said.

DNA processing has a routine turnaround of five to 10 days, the quickest in the country.

But it can be put into overdrive for a murder.

"The advantage of that (not having a backlog) is a lot of evidence in policing says if you can get a result within 48 to 72 hours, you've got a much higher chance of getting an offender," Mr Shaw said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...sting-laboratory/story-e6freoof-1226397632135

Thankyou. :) Interesting that the answer is now 'can not comment' in regards to there being further arrests. Maybe there will be??

Yes, like the 'no comment' regarding GBC being a POI.

I hope all who had knowledge or were involved in any aspect of the murder are arrested and convicted.

I was always of the belief that more people would be charged , based on what Paul Tully had alluded to , and the talk of there being 2 cars allegedly seen near Anstead.

Thankyou. :) Interesting that the answer is now 'can not comment' in regards to there being further arrests. Maybe there will be??

hmm.. As I said last night..stay tuned.. I thought there was something to be read into the 'understanding there will be no more arrests'. Just like they(media) understood no foul play evident and like they(police) could not comment on whether GBC was a POI..

I thought that was an interesting question too, so I looked it up:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4524A092E30E4486CA2569DE00256331

From earlier in the same paper ("Crime in twentieth century Australia" by Adam Graycar):

Quote:
Australia was a less violent society at the end of the twentieth century than it was at the end of the nineteenth or eighteenth centuries.

But it does also say that it's a difficult to make comparisons. Crimes have been defined and measured differently over the years.

This aligns to what i have read in different reports.

I believe that the media and politicians contribute heavily to the beliefs of the public about the prevalence of crime. For example conservative Governments in particular have campaigned on "Law and Order' issues, using fear as a motivator, particularly among older people. As we are an aging population, the proportion of older voters is much higher. The media is complicit with this, reporting more heavily on violent crime against old people and contributing to the impression that aged people should not feel safe in their own homes and that the situation is getting worse. What most people don't realise is that, (the last time I read stats which was a couple of years ago), the most likely demographic of people to experience violent crime is young people under the age of 25.

[...] I believe that the media and politicians contribute heavily to the beliefs of the public about the prevalence of crime. [...]
I agree, and the media contribute heavily to the beliefs of the public about this case, too. Everything** we know about it comes from news reports (I mean, those of us who don't know the family and aren't involved in investigating the case). That's a lot of power, so I hope they're using it wisely... :)

... Editing this to add that I'm learning a lot about all sorts of things from reading the posts in this forum, so by "everything we know" I meant only the supposedly-official news about the case.

This is the part I find telling.

Some of the key evidence against him may be revealed during the bail hearing if prosecutors seek to keep Baden-Clay behind bars.

This reeks of the sound of premeditation.

I always hope that in spousal murder cases, it was a spur of the moment issue where a huge fight occurred and while emotions were at their peek, so happened the murder. It doesn't make the killer innocent, but it does seem to take the bite off a little for me.

In the case of premeditation, it chills me to the bone! Could it be because the thought of someone thinking about murdering for days and days - the one they promised to love and honor, the mother of their children - is too evil to imagine?

This reeks of the sound of premeditation.

I always hope that in spousal murder cases, it was a spur of the moment issue where a huge fight occurred and while emotions were at their peek, so happened the murder. It doesn't make the killer innocent, but it does seem to take the bite off a little for me.

In the case of premeditation, it chills me to the bone! Could it be because the thought of someone thinking about murdering for days and days - the one they promised to love and honor, the mother of their children - is too evil to imagine?

I understand what you mean, but i also wonder how many so-called spur of the moment murders were committed by people who had wanted to murder form some time, maybe dreamed about it and imagined how they would do it - then suddenly an opportunity arises and ....

I also wonder how many people have planned a murder but the opportunity has never arisen where they feel they could get away with it. Some people are very calculating and looking after number one is a huge driver, so wouldnt take the risk if they weren't sure they would not be found out.

Yes, like the 'no comment' regarding GBC being a POI.

I hope all who had knowledge or were involved in any aspect of the murder are arrested and convicted.

To me No comment means Maybe lol.

This is the part I find telling.

Some of the key evidence against him may be revealed during the bail hearing if prosecutors seek to keep Baden-Clay behind bars.

Why is this particularly telling? Surely that would occur in the normal course of a bail hearing - prosecutors are naturally trying to keep him behind bars, and they would need to produce some evidence to do so. It sounds like normal article filler to me.

I'm interested in the whole 'premeditation' part of this case as it pertains to murder. I'm not sure of the legal definition of premeditation, but murder is the intent to kill and as a result of this, someone dies. But intent to kill can still be a spur of the moment thing can't it? In other words, a rage that ensues as a consequence of some dispute, and in that rage the person means to kill the victim i.e. you can't be convicted of murder if you just push someone over and they fall and hit their head on the coffee table and die. That would be manslaughter would it not?

So in order to successfully bring a murder charge, the police and prosecutors must be very sure that the perp did intend to kill the victim, not just injure them, when committing the crime. Where the premeditation part comes in I am not sure - if it means the crime was planned, or whether the perp just said to themselves, I'm going to kill this person now, and did. And the prosecutors can prove it, e.g. cutting someones throat is murder, because you would know that that is going to kill your victim.

He avoided giving it for 2 months. He had to be arrested to get the sample. He didnt volunteer it when she went missing, or when she was found dead. He had retained a barrister by then.

so when he said.. ' I've given the police everything I can' to that reporter, he was lying, was he not?

Perhaps he wasn't asked for a DNA sample at that time.

Re the grandparents rights debate and I really don't want to get involved, but often in custody cases etc it is noted in newspaper articles that the grandparents have not been allowed by the custodial parent, to see or visit with the child involved. These then often highlight the need for grand parents to have some rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties