ARREST!!! Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 -#23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not really sure to be honest. Just read that he was very good at what he does and has been involved in some high profile cases in the past.

I guess I'm asking in a more general sense. Whether it is him that represents the accused or someone else and due to a technicality they are acquitted rather than lack of guilt (imo) iykwim.

It always made me sick to my stomach when people get away with serious crimes for something like that.

It does make one wonder what direction their moral compass is heading, when they know they are helping some very nasty pieces of work. :banghead:

Hi guys,
Marly, when I went to look for the 543 posts you linked it came up with nothing found?
I had to run out earlier but did find another interesting one.
We can post it but not comment on the poster right?

Originally Posted by 543 View Post
I think that the husband is innocent....I would just like to understand how and why people think that he's not. The phone ... it's obvious....he would turn it off!! Maybe I'm missing something here....that's why I asked.

I really believe that the phone has nothing of significance on it....because she had no time to react...she was probably dead by the time she hit the ground...and the phone went flying...hence no one can find the phone!!

The significance of finding the phone is exactly where poor Allison passed away and will proove how she died...eg...the phone is 3 to 5 meters from the road in bush with possibly some disturbance of gravel. Sigh...it's been a while...so the disturbance has gone already by other people pulling over, etc.

The phone is of great significance.

Added Marly, my apolgies. Yes if you click on the posters name they come up. I was doing a search by member.

The phone ... it's obvious....he would turn it off!!......Sigh.....

and the phone went flying...hence no one can find the phone!!.....Sigh....

and then she got crash tackled by the stalker....Sigh...

then the random DUI driver hit her.....Sigh...

The police are too arrogant to listen to me.....Sigh...

then I got committed......Sigh.....

Would he immediately be mixed with convicted criminals?
One would think those awaiting trial don't get to play with the convicted ones until they have been to trial. Especially if he is awaiting a bail decision.

I would hate to see something happen before it has been proven that he did what they are saying. I want to see the right person convicted, but mistakes do happen from time to time and I am of the opinion that he is just a suspect and not the perpetrator at the moment.

Wakesksate, I agree about seeing the "right person convicted" and that sometimes they do make mistakes in this area. It is probably inevitable over the course of many convictions that sometimes the innocent are pronounced guilty and also that the guilty get off.

However, I don't believe that someone would have been arrested if they were only a suspect. I believe that the police would only arrest and charge someone who they strongly believe, as a result of their investigations, was the perpetrator. I am obviously no expert and could be wrong in my understanding of the system though. In one of the media reports......and I don't know how to link.....they said that there have been a few occasions that they have planned to arrest him but they delayed the process to gather more evidence to just make double sure to try and avoid the possibility of charging an innocent man with murder (and to avoid the serious ramifications that has, not only to the man himself, but also to his dear children and the wider family).

Having said all of this, over the course of time new evidence could potentially emerge that demonstrated that someone was innocent or proved a different person to be the perpetrator which would obviously change things.

I was heartened to hear that the police where trying to make double sure before they made an arrest. The thought of an innocent man being charged with murdering his wife is quite distressing to me...especially for the sake of the children and the family as well. In saying this I am not assuming that an arrested man is definitely guilty......that is for the courts to determine....and as Hawkins said many threads ago...........no one is ever likely to know the whole TRUTH anyway except the actual perpetrator!

One question that I do have though is:

Early in the piece Mr Ainsworth said that GBC wasn't a person of interest anymore and then it changed to no comment. If that is the case why is the indication now that they have known for a long time who did it and were going to arrest him a few times but then delayed it? Did they initially not think that it was him? How long have they known for sure that it was him?

Obviously these thoughts are just my own opinions and questions as we wait for the workings of justice for Allison.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this or not but after some research I came across this and it made me wonder.....Maybe it is possible that hair has been found at either crime scene or car and it is suspected to belong to a relative of GBC?

Maybe this relative (we all suspect who) has refused to give DNA sample so they are trying to match GBC's to verify that the hair belonged to a relative of his?

OR maybe a hair belonging to someone else was found on the clothes Allison's body was found in??

Jury only trials. Murder trial will require a decision on intention. Judge will require a jury be present. Common law requirement, regardless of statutory ammends.

I just wanted some more info about the cost of all this if possible. Person A is accused of murder, can't get legal aid and has to engage barrister and lawyer. Witnesses need to be called (I assume that travel costs have to be paid), testing, experts etc. Are we talking hundreds of thousands, a million. What if the person can't pay , how do lawyers get their money.

I can offer this tidbit. When my ex and I went to family court his costs with a lawyer and barrister were over $300,000. The barrister alone was $10,000 a day! This is for family court tho, criminal court might be different. Luckily for me we paid our own costs.

The following info posted by HAWKINS post no: 78 on a previous thread is informative:

One the trial starts the media will report on each day's proceedings. The judge is unlikely to issue a non publication direction because of the strong public interest element. Papers will disable the reader comment function for fear of sub judice contempt charges. What the owners of Internet fora do is their call. Posters make their comments but the owners will know that a trial is under way and have obligations. The sub judice period generally commences with the drawing if the indictment (charge). The rationale is to limit influence on proceedings outside of the admissible evidence. I suspect forum owners will advise about posting policies based on advice from their legal advisors.

My understanding is that any evidence they wish to use in court must be provided to the defence team in Discovery so that they can do their own testing refuting etc. A list of witness's each side are intending to call must also be provided to the defence and vis versa.
The real trick is when and how questions are phrased in order to trap witness's. These are not part of Discovery procedures.

Thanks for your post pugsandfrogs. What exactly do you mean by "Discovery"? Thanks....just curious!

Committals. Most open. This one almost certainly orders to contrary. IMO. MOO. Wait and see.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this or not but after some research I came across this and it made me wonder.....Maybe it is possible that hair has been found at either crime scene or car and it is suspected to belong to a relative of GBC?

Maybe this relative (we all suspect who) has refused to give DNA sample so they are trying to match GBC's to verify that the hair belonged to a relative of his?

I know it could be a long shot but who knows it might be a possibility:waitasec:...Really interested to find out why hair sample is all they wanted and not blood or saliva?

It is making me Crazy with curiosity?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/hair-analysis

Hair analysis can be used to check if people are blood relatives. Forensic hair analysis can be done to help identify a criminal by evaluating hair structure and DNA. Hair samples are tested with specific chemicals and looked at under a microscope. Hair analysis can also be used to check for poisoning caused by metals such as lead or mercury. But hair analysis alone usually is not used for this type of testing.

good thinking....but Greg out thunk you and thought of that last night :D

May be some comments on Ch10 tonite re these procedural issues.

I can offer this tidbit. When my ex and I went to family court his costs with a lawyer and barrister were over $300,000. The barrister alone was $10,000 a day! This is for family court tho, criminal court might be different. Luckily for me we paid our own costs.

Thanks , I just had a look at the Lacey Brother's case. Their multimillionaire father has declared bankrupt after battling legal costs.

http://http://www.news.com.au/laceys-cry-poor-after-riches-sour/story-e6freoof-1226296476999

OR maybe a hair belonging to someone else was found on the clothes Allison's body was found in??

the hair could also have come off the cape she would have worn at the hair salon to protect her clothes, probably unlikely though if she had changed clothes or showered etc. and if she had her hair coloured it would make it a little easier for forensics if they found the newly coloured hair in inappropriate places, like the back of the car etc.

This information was posted by HAWKINS post no: 212. Someone was asking about differences between murder and manslaughter trials and the consequences. A manslaughter charge is usually chosen where there is strong evidence that the accused caused the other person's death but there is not enough admissible evidence to ensure good prospects of success. There are basically two forms of murder recognised in Qld.

The first is where the accused intended to inflcit serious or fatal injuries on some other person, and as a result of that intention somebody in fact died. That's the usual form you see reported, whete the accused set out to attack someone. That's provided for in s302(1)(a) of the Criminal Code.

The other form of murder is where the accused was involved in carrying out some other sort of crime, such as a burglary, rape or armed robbery and while doing that they do something which causes another person's death. They might, for example, be carrying out a servo robbery and fire a warning shot which ricochets off a wall and hits the attendant in the head, killing him. You can find that in s.302(1)(b) of the Criminal Code. Another example could be an assailant who drugs a woman to overcome resistance so that he can rape her, and she dies as a result of the drug (by interacting with a prescription she is taking say). In that latter situation he didn't intend any serious injury but he was committing a crime (rape) did something dangerous and as a result she died.

Lots of different scenarios posters have suggested on the forum could ground any of the above charges.

Sometimes the DPP will negotiate with the defence for a plea of guilty to manslaughter in exchange for not pursuing the murder charge. Even if a murder trial goes ahead the accused can be acquitted of the murder but convicted of manslaughter by the jury, after the judge sums up for them.

Murder is the more serious charge, but manslaughter can actually result in as many years behind bars. The Corrective Services Act says that a prisoner convicted of murder is eligible to apply for parole after serving 15 years of their 'mandatory' life sentence. Many such people do in fact get parole at that time.

There is a maximum (non mandatory) sentence of life imprisonment for manslaughter. But, crucially, it is classified as a Serious Violent Offence in the Penalties and Sentences Act, which means that the prisoner must serve at least 80% of their sentence or 15 years before being eligible to apply for parole (whichever is the shorter). So a 20 year sentence for manslaughter has almost the same effect. The court can also specify a later parole eligibility date.

Sentences for non murder offences that severe are rare, but not unheard of. It's also possible for the court to impose an indefinite sentence in which the offender has no parole eligibility date, but is assessed by a tribunal as to the risk they pose to the community at various stages. We have a few such prisoners in Qld. They are usually violent, serial rapists.

Many manslaughter convictions grounded in DV contexts seem to attract a maximum of about 10 years. If that were the sentence, the offender would be eligible to apply for parole after 8 years, with the serious violent offender declaration. It would be tempting to think that where a person is also convicted of additional offences arising from the same events, such as interfering with a corpse etc, that a conviction for those offences would increase the overall sentence. But virtually all prosecutions which result in convictions for multiple offences lead to sentences which are served concurrently, meaning that the offender serves the time for the most serious offence and is deemed to be also serving the other sentences at the same time.

There's a photo that comes up on here periodically. Gee it reminds me of something......
:)

The phone ... it's obvious....he would turn it off!!......Sigh.....

and the phone went flying...hence no one can find the phone!!.....Sigh....

and then she got crash tackled by the stalker....Sigh...

then the random DUI driver hit her.....Sigh...

The police are too arrogant to listen to me.....Sigh...

then I got committed......Sigh.....

The thought (post) just sickened me :anguish:

This was posted by HAWKINS post no: 214.Investigators and defence lawyers have a lot to work on apart from trial considerations. They need to collect all sorts of material relevant to sentencing if there is to be a manslaughter trial or conviction in addition to all the trial preparation. If there is an arrest I would not expect a trial for at least a year, probably more. If the accused is on remand for that period and is convicted of manslaughter, that year would be considered part of their eventual sentence if convicted. A bail application hearing in this matter woud be a big deal and would involve some high powered legal and evidentiary argument.

I know it could be a long shot but who knows it might be a possibility:waitasec:...Really interested to find out why hair sample is all they wanted and not blood or saliva?

It is making me Crazy with curiosity?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/hair-analysis

Hair analysis can be used to check if people are blood relatives. Forensic hair analysis can be done to help identify a criminal by evaluating hair structure and DNA. Hair samples are tested with specific chemicals and looked at under a microscope. Hair analysis can also be used to check for poisoning caused by metals such as lead or mercury. But hair analysis alone usually is not used for this type of testing.

I am by no means an expert on DNA, but I don't think they need hair samples in particular to match relatives DNA. That can be done with any method of DNA retrieval.

I do not know why it was ordered to be DNA from a non intimate(no body orifice) source.. there is obviously a reason, but I am thinking it has more to do with procedure and something to do with accused liberty??(although mouth should not cause and issue with this)..I am guessing on this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marytb