***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolded by me. I have also thought for a while this is a distinct possibility as well.
That exit either needs to be closed or have better lighting & several security cameras.

The murder charge is in Lafayette, though, makes me think the police have reason to think the murder happened in Lafayette Parish, rather than WB (which is either Iberville Parish or St. Martin Parish; I forget which, or his home in St. Landry Parish). Or maybe they really don't know where the murder happened yet...but it seems you'd have to have an idea before a parish could charge someone with murder one.

one of DTL's murder victim's mother has already begged for a camera to be placed there. if only...

You see this?

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/louisiana_is_the_worlds_prison.html

Where would you put them all? Particularly with shrinking state budgets and no desire to increase tax revenues.

Thank-you for an interesting article!

IMO Louisiana needs to be spending more money on rehabilitating people and not just incarcerating.

Society in general needs to be spending more money on mental health research as it pertains to criminals. Studies have been done that show there are physical differences in the brains of people with antisocial personality disorder as well as how social interventions as a child may affect how the person may act as an adult. We spend all sorts of money treating cancer and other physical disorders and searching for cures, while at the same time often ignoring that many of our criminals are mentally ill or have a brain abnormality and have been given a death sentence or life in prison because they were born with a physical disorder in their brain. Just as people don't choose to be born with a physical disability or developmental one, science is just discovering that many criminals have been born with brains that are not the same as that of a "normal" person. Usually the area that controls emotion is different than that of a "normal" person.

I don't condone criminal activity. I just think that as a society we owe it to other human beings to help discover why they may act differently, or show no remorse, or have committed some of the crimes that they did. I doubt that most of them would have wished to be born in to a life where they were deemed a freak and a wild animal who needed to be caged the rest of their lives. After all, it could have been any one of us born with the same brain abnormality.

Here is a link to an interesting article on brain scans and includes a case where a brain scan of an individual was used in court.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4189638...rain-scans-reveal-criminal-mind/#.T_cTZJHwkg-

Maybe they found Mickey's dna in his truck. Wonder if the suspect has a separate hunting property or cabin, or barn or shed on his property.

also interested in how he said his truck had been stolen. did he ditch it, burn it? and interested in what evidence was found. how long do you guys think it will be before this guy goes to trial and we will find out all this info?

I always try to keep an open mind until I know all of the facts. Does anyone know more details about his prior offense? I see that the victim was a teenager. Tying up and all sounds really bad but it didn't say he raped or sodomized her which happens so often in these cases.

I am NOT defending him in any way!

Years ago I had a friend that was arrested for playing a sex game with his girlfriend that was a teenager. He was about 20 she was 16 I think. Her parents read her diary and really pushed hard for charges of rape. He was convicted and spent a few years in prison. Now everyone thinks he is a horrible monster and he's actually a very nice attractive responsible person. Made a bad decision based on the laws with minors but in my opinion, not a serious offense. I mean, my grandmother married a 30 yr old man when she turned 15. The way it was back with the pioneers.

Edited**I feel awful for even exploring any options that make this guy sound less like the monster he likely is but in an investigation I think you cannot let emotions replace facts. :(

also interested in how he said his truck had been stolen. did he ditch it, burn it? and interested in what evidence was found. how long do you guys think it will be before this guy goes to trial and we will find out all this info?

My personal hope is that this won't go to trial because there will be a plea. I would really prefer to see Mickey's family spared the pain of a trial.

Again, I am not making light of what BSL did to this woman in 2000. Just wish I had more facts. And wondering what the possibilities are.

My instincts tell me that he's a bad guy and there are probably other victims out there.

I always try to keep an open mind until I know all of the facts. Does anyone know more details about his prior offense? I see that the victim was a teenager. Tying up and all sounds really bad but it didn't say he raped or sodomized her which happens so often in these cases.

I am NOT defending him in any way!

Years ago I had a friend that was arrested for playing a sex game with his girlfriend that was a teenager. He was about 20 she was 16 I think. Her parents read her diary and really pushed hard for charges of rape. He was convicted and spent a few years in prison. Now everyone thinks he is a horrible monster and he's actually a very nice attractive responsible person. Made a bad decision based on the laws with minors but in my opinion, not a serious offense. I mean, my grandmother married a 30 yr old man when she turned 15. The way it was back with the pioneers.

Scene on another site the charges were pled down, and it tying up blinfolding and rape, who knows how true that is, will try to find info

My bolding: I think with these type of offenders that the only answer is to lock them up and throw away the key, no parole, period. They just can not control themselves and shouldn't be allowed back out into society. jmo

The whole "lock 'em up and throw away the key" was a favorite of politicians trying to make points with voters. It does not work and is prohibitively expensive. Those same governors who won office by towing that line are now releasing prisoners early to relieve pressure on overcrowded jails.

If you truly believe in this, then you have to back it up with money. A lot of money. And that means taxes.

I just started following this case again when I heard the news this morning. I did not realize this suspect claimed his truck was stolen. Do we know if it was reported stolen to LE? If so, could that be true and he's actually innocent? :dunno:

Thank-you for an interesting article!

IMO Louisiana needs to be spending more money on rehabilitating people and not just incarcerating.

Society in general needs to be spending more money on mental health research as it pertains to criminals. Studies have been done that show there are physical differences in the brains of people with antisocial personality disorder as well as how social interventions as a child may affect how the person may act as an adult. We spend all sorts of money treating cancer and other physical disorders and searching for cures, while at the same time often ignoring that many of our criminals are mentally ill or have a brain abnormality and have been given a death sentence or life in prison because they were born with a physical disorder in their brain. Just as people don't choose to be born with a physical disability or developmental one, science is just discovering that many criminals have been born with brains that are not the same as that or a "normal" person. Usually the area that controls emotion is different than that of a "normal" person.

I don't condone criminal activity. I just think that as a society we owe it to other human beings to help discover why they may act differently, or show no remorse, or have committed some of the crimes that they did. I doubt that most of them would have wished to be born in to a life where they were deemed a freak and a wild animal who needed to be caged the rest of their lives. After all, it could have been any one of us born with the same brain abnormality.

Here is a link to an interesting article on brain scans and includes a case where a brain scan of an individual was used in court.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4189638...rain-scans-reveal-criminal-mind/#.T_cTZJHwkg-

Personally I dont believe you can rhabilitate a sex offender!
They got caught once because they let the child or woman live the next time they do it they kill....How many of these men are walking around that have killed and were never caught for the crime? I hate to think!

i just started following this case again when i heard the news this morning. I did not realize this suspect claimed his truck was stolen. Could that be true and he's actually innocent? :dunno:

nope!

My bolding: I think with these type of offenders that the only answer is to lock them up and throw away the key, no parole, period. They just can not control themselves and shouldn't be allowed back out into society. jmo

I agree to an extent in theory, but in practice, where do you draw the line? Is it certain types of sexual crimes that get locked up and we throw away the key, or all? Would this only apply to the Tier 3's?

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the Tiers of sexual offenders. What Tier would statutory rape fall into? Does it vary, case by case? I ask because there's a big difference between an adult raping a 13 year old, and the unfortunate 19 year old whose 17 year old girl friend's parents call the cops and press charges (my ages mgith be wrong, so let's say 18 and 16).

And then there are those who are labeled as sex offenders and forced to register for the rest of their lives because they were caught urinating in public at Mardi Gras.

For someone like BSL? Yeah, he deserves to be locked up forever from that first crime alone. But is it easy, in law practice, to make a black and white distinction between someone like him and another criminal? That's a true question, I don't know enough about it to make a declaration, and welcome everyone's opinions on this.

My personal hope is that this won't go to trial because there will be a plea. I would really prefer to see Mickey's family spared the pain of a trial.

I would doubt there will be any plea that involves the death penalty then. So if its a plea do you offer life without parole and agree not to seek the death penalty in exchange for providing information on where Mickey is? (assuming he hasn't already done so)

In response to the question:

What kind of "look" would one need to be a part of the Artmosphere crowd?

Young, attractive, looks like the "good old boy" from next door...

Is the creepy-looking guy in the dark blue T-shirt really the Artmosphere type? I find it hard to believe that Mickey and he would frequent the same type of night club. . . .

Can anyone explain? Is it just my bias?

JMO. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members