***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is the smoking gun:

>>Early Thursday, Lafayette police officer Kyle Manceaux obtained surveillance video footage from The Daily Advertiser. The footage included views of Bertrand Drive between the hours of midnight and 4 a.m. on May 19. The police department would not confirm whether the footage was related to the arrest.<<
http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...S04/120705038/Arrest-made-Mickey-Shunick-case

huh? All the complaining we've done about Mickey not in the news enough, and The Advertiser Newspaper had video taken from their cameras on their building on Bertrand? That's what finally breaks the case?

wow

Wonder if this would be his first murder and abduction...

Anyone know how far his home is from the place Mickey was last seen?

His credit card receipts should be interesting and hopefuly helpful in locating Mickey.

He was indicted 2/18/00 for 1st sexual assault.
He was questioned 4 years ago in regards to remains that we're found in Acadia Parish - no conviction.

House burned down a year or so ago, don't remember the cause of fire

He never smiled always had the same exact look on his face.... Mad! :banghead::jail:

Here is one possibility on how this came down. Back on June 8th the PI stated he had a suspect. I think it was BSL. After that we did not hear much more from the PI. I think that is because the police also felt BSL was a strong suspect and probably told the PI not to say anymore so as to not spook the guy. BSL was a no brainer suspect for them: registered sex offender that drives a white pickup and lives in the area. But LE probably did not have enough on BSL to execute a search warrant. They were probably watching him like a hawk the past few weeks. Then something happened that triggered the legality to get a search warrant. Maybe forensics from the bike. While conducting the search they found something to obtain a murder charge. Clothing? Jewelry? Photos? Body parts?

Bertrand is the side street leading to Mel's Diner though. ???

Bertrand is the right hand side border of the parking lot and Mel's Diner is on the other side- Maurice.

Open Google Maps and type this in the search space:
Mel's Diner, Johnston Street, Lafayette, LA

yes. z71s are silverados. from what i understand, a z71 is an added upgrade to a silverado.

Trying to catch up so I apologize if this has been answered. z71 is an off road package that can be added to many different makes and models of trucks.

I still have never seen the z71 logo on any of the pics. Doesn't mean it isn't there of course!

100 Block of St Landry (where Mickey was last seen by the Circle K) and 1100 Bertrand The Advertiser. This may give some perspective on the distance between these two locations.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=100+St+Landry+Lafayette,+LA&daddr=1100+Bertrand+Dr,+Lafayette,+LA+70506&hl=en&sll=30.220954,-92.032664&sspn=0.008047,0.016544&geocode=FZYhzQEd_9SD-imFUl4RiZwkhjFnGthF3teUoA%3BFYsbzQEdym6D-ikbG0WZE5wkhjFqM5D4X8VxBA&t=h&gl=us&mra=ltm&z=15"]http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=100+St+Landry+Lafayette,+LA&daddr=1100+Bertrand+Dr,+Lafayette,+LA+70506&hl=en&sll=30.220954,-92.032664&sspn=0.008047,0.016544&geocode=FZYhzQEd_9SD-imFUl4RiZwkhjFnGthF3teUoA%3BFYsbzQEdym6D-ikbG0WZE5wkhjFqM5D4X8VxBA&t=h&gl=us&mra=ltm&z=15[/ame]

For those of you not from the area, I thought I would do a little informative explanation of the locations here:

GquH1.png

MS Was last seen roughly where that red dot is. The line is Johnston St, where there are a string of car dealerships. I'd LOVE to know what one he went to, because as I mentioned before, I sold a car to the father of a guy that looks like him whose last name was Lavergne, and had to drive them both back north to Opelousas, then 6 miles or so west... Pretty much exactly where this guy lives. I am almost 100% positive that I was in the car with this guy for an hour getting him back to his house with his father.

That big red circle is the Atchafalaya river basin. The bridge of I-10, crossing through that circle, is the 14th longest in the world. Its literally 35 miles of swamp that you are crossing over. There are a few exits, where people like to fish all the time. You pass there when you want to go to Baton Rouge. Whiskey Bay seems a likely "First thought" place to hide something that you dont want found. Quite surprised the bike was even found, dude must not have done a good job of hiding it.

The area where he lives? West of Opelousas... Honestly, its territory that nobody really knows what goes on. Everyone sticks to themselves, extremely rural, very dirt road back country area... wouldnt surprise me to think that he could have brought her there and nobody would have even had a clue.

Excellent map. When they first found her bicycle, we "locals" (those living along the I-10 corridor) assumed the guy knew the area because going into the swamp isn't for the faint of heart. We assumed the person was very familiar with the ins and outs of the area. Now we find the alleged perp lives not far from Opelousas, an easy drive to Whiskey Bay. I know I wouldn't go there unless I were in a desperate state of mind, very desperate. I wonder if he was a hunter or fisher?

Excellent map. When they first found her bicycle, we "locals" (those living along the I-10 corridor) assumed the guy knew the area because going into the swamp isn't for the faint of heart. We assumed the person was very familiar with the ins and outs of the area. Now we find the alleged perp lives not far from Opelousas, an easy drive to Whiskey Bay. I know I wouldn't go there unless I were in a desperate state of mind, very desperate. I wonder if he was a hunter or fisher?

Dude, I cant even IMAGINE going into Whiskey Bay at night. Just the thought gives me the shudders.

I will say this. If he was going offshore, he probably went through I-10 to get to one of the many ports in Southeast Louisiana. Its pretty much the only way. There's a chance he dropped off the bike on the way to going offshore.

I posted a long time ago that my good friend works as the IT guy for LCG and he pulled the video of Mickey. Mods tell me if I'm not allowed to say this ... But he said the truck in question was the one headed to university. Not headed down St Landry.

What a small world, life works in mysterious ways on how conincodences happens. Who knows mickey may have seen him herself a few times. Oh poor mivkey. I'm suppose to go out tonight and I just don't know how I'm going to be social at all! I'm devastated, everyone thinks I'm silly for being so called "obsessed" with the case but it's just human compassion, if I went missing I'd want people to care, to help find me. Hmm just don't know what to say first I was excited someone was arrested, the interested, then went to sadness, then to shock and now I just want to stay home and not talk to anyone. Mickey may u RIP there are many people touched by your life.

Understanding how you are feeling! My family has been patient with me everyday while I would read WS from day 1 but not concerned with every little detail like I have. When I heard the news earlier today I ran to my computer to log onto WS & have been here non stop. Through the disagreements and DWT conversations the one thing that is TRULY CLEAR is how everyone here cares so much about people they don't even know. I really appreciate the efforts put in by all. It has been a comfort to "be with" Websleuthers throughout the evening. Prayers are with the Shunick family tonight. :heartbeat:

Here is one possibility on how this came down. Back on June 8th the PI stated he had a suspect. I think it was BSL. After that we did not hear much more from the PI. I think that is because the police also felt BSL was a strong suspect and probably told the PI not to say anymore so as to not spook the guy. BSL was a no brainer suspect for them: registered sex offender that drives a white pickup and lives in the area. But LE probably did not have enough on BSL to execute a search warrant. They were probably watching him like a hawk the past few weeks. Then something happened that triggered the legality to get a search warrant. Maybe forensics from the bike. While conducting the search they found something to obtain a murder charge. Clothing? Jewelry? Photos? Body parts?

maybe just the new video they were talking about, might just had to tie up the time-line since there is no body. (iidrc they did confirm they had the bike forensics back the day before yesterday?) Just some loose ends to tie up I'm sure....it said he was verified (on the sexual offender registry) on May 28th...I'm assuming they talked to him that day and he gave his story and where the truck was (B/c there is all kinds of hearsay on where the truck came/went/is).

Trying to catch up so I apologize if this has been answered. z71 is an off road package that can be added to many different makes and models of trucks.

I still have never seen the z71 logo on any of the pics. Doesn't mean it isn't there of course!

Experts could have mistaken red logo lettering for a red Z? I never could make out any lettering on any truck pic..

I will say this. If he was going offshore, he probably went through I-10 to get to one of the many ports in Southeast Louisiana. Its pretty much the only way. There's a chance he dropped off the bike on the way to going offshore.

that's what i think

:furious::furious::furious::furious:
I'm SICK and TIRED and FURIOUS of these FREAKS being allowed to roam among us after it has been established that they are dangerous threat! I am SO TICKED OFF that after this FREAK hurt and destroyed this young lady's life, he was set free to live among us. I am TICKED OFF that he was a known threat and should have been caged like the wild animal he is, but instead was sent off to live among the decent and destroy the innocent. I am FURIOUS that they knew how dangerous and harmful he was and let him run free anyway and Mickey had to pay for it. Not the people who set him free, but Mickey. An innocent person living life in a positive way, minding her own business and never hurting a fly. If I am this angry, I can't imagine how angry the Shunick's will be when they learn of his past and the fact that even though it was known that he would violently harm women he was let out anyway, and because of that, they will never see Mickey again.

Something has GOT to change with the way these predators are dealt with. I have followed many cases and many end like this. The perp has a history. And they keep escalating and getting worse. WHEN will we start putting these SOBs away for life because they obviously are capable of awful horrendous things? Why do the rest of us have to pay because these FREAKS are always let out? What does that say about us innocents? That we're not even worth protecting from these monsters who have no regard for decent human beings? Something has GOT to change because I am about to lose my Sh*1! I feel like if the law isn't gonna take care of the $!@#^ then the rest of us have to! Do I think that's a good idea? NO. What other choice do we have? The law will not protect us and our children. Are we supposed to continue to let these *&^$# kill us and our KIDS?

I haven't been this mad in a long time.

In my opinion.....when there is some type of monetary gain from their imprisonment. Or they kill enough people. Sad way our justice system has evolved.

I am not against those that work within the justice system but the system itself.

That being said, he hasn't been convicted yet. There are a lot of factors to come I am sure.

With most of you I have read this thread from it's first date posted...the only great ending would have been Mickey coming home and hugging her family. Anticipating tomorrow rattles my brain and strains my heart beyond words...

I thank all of the great sleuthers here from the bottom of my heart, you never cease to amaze me. A most grateful nod to the locals for making us familiar with Lafayette. Thank you for your devotion in the searches. Amazing. Thank you to the Mods for your unending patience and hard work. Thank you to Tricia for creating such an incredible home for us all.

What may feel like an ending to some of us is only the beginning for the Shunicks. God's Light, peace and strength be with them. There are no words. As hard as any of us may cry this night, it will pale in the Shunicks upcoming journey. Keep them in your prayers, wishes, thoughts and your heart.

Much Light to all,
CG

:goodpost: :heartbeat:

Ditto Foxfire. As I don't know any of my fellow sleuthers, it feels as though we have come to know each others personalities and have shared a lot of ups and downs-this definitely being the worst.. Oddly enough, I am going to miss logging on and seeing the same members that were here day in and day out.
Somewhere in my fantasyland I pictured Mickey coming home and the community having a huge welcome home party for her and all of us sleuthers would be right there in the middle of it all!!
Praying for Mickey....

I did too. But when our time comes she will be waiting for all of us with open arms. We will meet her some day! Someone posted a comment on another site and asked "what has Mickey ever accomplished" my response was .. Mickey has accomplished way more than I ever will she has brought so many of us from all over the world together in love, prayer and an amazing attempt to find her. Now, hopefully laws will change regarding plea bargins in cases like this. I don't know Mickey but I know she would be so proud of her family for their strength and endurance especially Charlie. Charlie you are one fine person and I wish you peace any woman would be proud to have you as a sister, keep the faith and hold your head up high.

watching the video of poor Charlie is heart wrenching. poor little doll. why why why can't they keep these guys off the streets after their first offense!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sodapop99