***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming that is his truck in Texas, how did he manage to get back to the Lafayette area?

I'm leaning towards his girlfriend may have came and picked him up - you know, the girlfriend who had a brother-in-law writing on another site that he was so worried that she was head-over-heels for BSL? Maybe he told her his truck had been stolen while he was in Texas for work or some BS and she believed it for a while....then kept putting the pieces together and realized something was very hinky and she went to LE?

I agree to an extent in theory, but in practice, where do you draw the line? Is it certain types of sexual crimes that get locked up and we throw away the key, or all? Would this only apply to the Tier 3's?

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the Tiers of sexual offenders. What Tier would statutory rape fall into? Does it vary, case by case? I ask because there's a big difference between an adult raping a 13 year old, and the unfortunate 19 year old whose 17 year old girl friend's parents call the cops and press charges (my ages mgith be wrong, so let's say 18 and 16).

And then there are those who are labeled as sex offenders and forced to register for the rest of their lives because they were caught urinating in public at Mardi Gras.

For someone like BSL? Yeah, he deserves to be locked up forever from that first crime alone. But is it easy, in law practice, to make a black and white distinction between someone like him and another criminal? That's a true question, I don't know enough about it to make a declaration, and welcome everyone's opinions on this.

ITA, big difference, and many labeled "sex offenders" should not be labeled as such.

Sorry if someone has already asked this but... Is this the same área Where they found that white truck a couple weeks ago in the hotel parking lot for the offshore guy from LA with no door handleS inside? TIA

I do remember someone mentioning an abandoned white truck in Texas, but I believe it was more along I-10, near Beaumont? I'll try to find the post.

San Jacinto county, honestly, would be an easy place to hide something. A large majority of it (80%?) is right in the middle of the Sam Houston National Forest. I've been up in that forest and in other areas of that county quite a bit in the last 2 months and, let me tell you, it's woodsy and sparsely populated. Small towns scattered about, and then lots of expansive (and I mean expansive) farms and ranches. It'd be quite easy to burn out a truck and not have anyone notice it immediately. There's a lot of trash burning up there, so a fire in and of itself wouldn't be suspicious and unless someone came upon the burning truck while it was burning, it would go unnoticed for a while.

All that being said, it would be really hard to get back to Houston, where you could take a bus or a train back to Lafayette from that area. Anyone know if he had a motorcycle or something he could have brought with him and used that to get back? And there's always the real possibility that someone he knew helped him. If the truck was right off of the 59 portion of San Jacinto County, I could see the hitchhiking theory, maybe. But if in the middle of the forest (there are farms/ranches in there, it's not just an undeveloped forest)? It'd be pretty difficult to pull off, and going out there with no definitive way to get back would be pretty risky.

Yes something wrong. Very wrong. If we look at Ronald Cummings who gets 25 years for dealing and this guy is out in 8? Not condoning drug dealing but sheesh :banghead:

What the diff if they have a drug dealer in jail i mean really for every one they put in prison there are 1,000 to take his place!.

Personally id rather have the drug dealers on the streets than the sex offender!

Maybe his girl friend picked him up from TX, that would seem logical if he was saying his truck was stolen.

The whole "lock 'em up and throw away the key" was a favorite of politicians trying to make points with voters. It does not work and is prohibitively expensive. Those same governors who won office by towing that line are now releasing prisoners early to relieve pressure on overcrowded jails.

If you truly believe in this, then you have to back it up with money. A lot of money. And that means taxes.

IMO we should use the option that doesn't require housing or feeding them and doesn't overcrowd the jails. If you have concrete dna evidence, I believe strike one and you are out...

Yes something wrong. Very wrong. If we look at Ronald Cummings who gets 25 years for dealing and this guy is out in 8? Not condoning drug dealing but sheesh :banghead:

Word.

Assuming that is his truck in Texas, how did he manage to get back to the Lafayette area?

If indeed this is his truck, and it appears to be, it wasn't exactly a secret. People have been speculating about it for several days. He obviously told someone. Maybe that person/s gave him a ride.

As well, if LE has had the truck since June 14th, they have known who the truck belonged to. A fire does not destroy the VIN that is engraved into various metal parts. Sounds like they ave been putting pieces of this puzzle together from the beginning.

I always try to keep an open mind until I know all of the facts. Does anyone know more details about his prior offense? I see that the victim was a teenager. Tying up and all sounds really bad but it didn't say he raped or sodomized her which happens so often in these cases.

I am NOT defending him in any way!

Years ago I had a friend that was arrested for playing a sex game with his girlfriend that was a teenager. He was about 20 she was 16 I think. Her parents read her diary and really pushed hard for charges of rape. He was convicted and spent a few years in prison. Now everyone thinks he is a horrible monster and he's actually a very nice attractive responsible person. Made a bad decision based on the laws with minors but in my opinion, not a serious offense. I mean, my grandmother married a 30 yr old man when she turned 15. The way it was back with the pioneers.

that's the only thing that keeps me from jumping on the bandwagon about locking them away forever. yes if they are serious perverts that actually do this then yes i believe that. but what if they are wrongly convicted?? it's just not that easy

I'm now reading that BSL spent some time in the mental institution in Pineville, possibly dealing with PTSD after his time in the military.

I wish him luck with that element of a possible defense.
(^ I'm lying ^)

Confusion Cleared Up!

Having looked at the ABC link a few pages back, I now see how BL used to look (overweight, creepy-looking, wearing a dark blue t-shirt)and how he "morphed into" a reasonable looking, well dressed young man of today. There was some confusion earlier on about what he actually looks like today. The slimmer, present-day BL in the polo shirt could fit in just about anywhere (IMO), while the older version would not.

I'll try to get back on here to post the link to watch, because the "morphing" ABC does of the two photos of BL is definitely worth watching!

Do you think Charlie and/or the rest of the family will be at the press conference? I haven't seen that many live pressers when an arrest is made- is the family usually there with LE?

If indeed this is his truck, and it appears to be, it wasn't exactly a secret. People have been speculating about it for several days. He obviously told someone. Maybe that person/s gave him a ride.

As well, if LE has had the truck since June 14th, they have known who the truck belonged to. A fire does not destroy the VIN that is engraved into various metal parts. Sounds like they ave been putting pieces of this puzzle together from the beginning.

It was another website that said the San Jacinto authorities ran the VIN and it was registered to BSL.

that's the only thing that keeps me from jumping on the bandwagon about locking them away forever. yes if they are serious perverts that actually do this then yes i believe that. but what if they are wrongly convicted?? it's just not that easy

There are degrees of offense and there is irrefutable proof. Offspring, let's say.

There are ways to avoid throwing out the baby with the bath water.

That having been said - locking someone up forever is reversible, making it a better answer than a patchily applied death penalty, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne