ARRESTED- Luka Rocco Magnotta:1st deg murder charge #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know why last couple of days i might be (inadvertently) double posting?

And sorry for the annoyance.

1. You might be hitting the 'post' button more than once.

2. You know you are able to go back and delete any double-triple posts.

HTH

We weren't talking about contempt of court as it relates to what is published (which can happen whether there is a ban in place or not). But thank you anyway.

What happened in the Karla Homolka trial was a publication ban. It was imposed to ensure that Paul Bernardo, whose trial was scheduled at a later date, received a fair trial. After both trials, most of the information was made available to the public, excluding video of the assualts and murder. The latter evidence was destroyed.

By law, there is a pretrial publication ban for all accused and trials in Canada, but trial information can be released during. At this time, Canadian media cannot publish pretrial information they learn in court. They can publish information that is released by police in a press release.

I don't believe he was a victim. He started that web of deceit when he realized the animal rights activists were getting close IMO.

they do it to avoid consequences IMO and the more serious the consequences, the more elaborate and ridiculous their stories will be

he took situations in which he was a paid prostitute and pretended they were something else IMHO

personal anecdote:

someone I once dated made up a whole story about being hit by a car just because he was late getting to my house ... neither the cops nor the hospital believed him (I can imagine how many liars & hypochondriacs they have to deal with daily)

years later, you can imagine my reaction when an employee came to work with the exact same story (& she wasn't even that late) ... it was interesting when she lifted her pantleg to show me her non-existent swelling & bruising but the really funny part was seeing the look on her face when I told her that there's CCTV at that corner so she'll have evidence for her courtcase

in my experience, these people have parents & siblings who enable them and by the time they're adults it's gone on far too long for anyone else to call B.S. and actually help the person

right...but is it a possible slant that his defense will use...

im not even basing it on my thoughts or my own opinion of him. i am trying to get a sense of how his defense will go....and if there is any chance he will be on the streets eventually...

Re: "Manny"

Remember the Greek Canadian guy he was "co-accused" with for fraud? His last name lends itself perfectly to having the nickname of "Manny". ;)

And from what I read about the guy last night, I think there's more to be learned about that angle.

Re; the name Manny. I've heard that name before in connection with a snuff movie allegedly made in the Netherlands. I would dismiss it as irrelevant only I read it in The Guardian, which is usually a reliable source and definitely not a sensationalist tabloid.

I'll see if I can find the article and post it before I say any more on the subject.

the true scary moment will be if there IS police reports and hospital records.. BUT there is no manny.. its all part of LRM's delusions..

or atleast thats how it would play out in hollywood..

So you're saying we're all just imagining reading all these news reports? C'mon Otto. :floorlaugh:

I'm talking about Canadian law. There are restrictions regarding pretrial publications. When a suspect is being pursued, there is information about that suspect. After an arrest, the public no longer needs information about the suspect. There have been press releases regarding what information police want the public to have.

The businessinsider link is to US based media, not Canadian. We know from the Joran v.d. Sloot case that US media adheres only to it's own laws even if the case and crime occurred in a foreign country.

I thought it was also interesting that he makes a point of saying he was not on any meds despite the bankrupcy stating he had ~$200 worth of medical expenses a month. According to his emails there should also be the hospital admission info, police reports filed, etc. Wonder if any will come to light (if any of it was real to begin with - psych holds usually happen for a reason after all), or if not being on meds exacerbated any underlying mental issues during his escalation.

Interesting to compare this account with his account on the Psych forum under his cutelittlenemo1 profile here:

http://answers.psychcentral.com/Depression/i-hate-my-mother-and-i-dont-care-enough-to-change-it-/

Only proceedings that could compromise the jury pool or this or another upcoming trial are subject to publication bans, from what I've seen.

"The framework of Canadian legal principles dealing with pretrial publicity is the English common law doctrine of criminal contempt of court.That doctrine is interpreted by the Honourable Chief Justice McRuer, of Ontario, in the following terms:

Criminal contempt of court may be defined as any act done or any thing published tending to obstruct, impair, or interfere with the fair administration of justice or to bring the courts or judge into contempt; or any act done or writing published tending to obstruct or interfere with the due course of justice or lawful process of the courts."

http://bccla.org/our_work/pretrial-publicity-report-draft-statute-comments/

From what I'm reading and hearing, German authorities now have enough evidence to hold him until the extradition paperwork is processed. But maybe we're not going to know what that evidence is until the trial.

Germany would be violating Canadian law if this pretrial evidence was published. I don't think that will happen, as Canadian law has more similarities to European law than US law.

"The framework of Canadian legal principles dealing with pretrial publicity is the English common law doctrine of criminal contempt of court.That doctrine is interpreted by the Honourable Chief Justice McRuer, of Ontario, in the following terms:

Criminal contempt of court may be defined as any act done or any thing published tending to obstruct, impair, or interfere with the fair administration of justice or to bring the courts or judge into contempt; or any act done or writing published tending to obstruct or interfere with the due course of justice or lawful process of the courts."

http://bccla.org/our_work/pretrial-publicity-report-draft-statute-comments/
Otto, please read your own references.

Contempt of court charges can be brought for the reasons you mention above with regards to publicity, not for just ANY publicity, and whether there's a publication ban in place or not.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Otto, please read your own references.

Contempt of court charges can be brought for the reasons you mention above with regards to publicity, not for just ANY publicity, and whether there's a publication ban in place or not.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not talking about a publication ban ... I'm only discussing the law as it relates to pretrial publication. A publication ban relates to trial proceedings.

Bottom line is that people can create rumour and gossip about this case as much as they want, but evidence and fact related to the case will not be released until the trial starts ... except that police may have another press release announcing that Eric is in Montreal, or a lawyer may step forward to state that he/she is representing Eric.

I don't believe he was a victim. He started that web of deceit when he realized the animal rights activists were getting close IMO.

they do it to avoid consequences IMO and the more serious the consequences, the more elaborate and ridiculous their stories will be

he took situations in which he was a paid prostitute and pretended they were something else IMHO

personal anecdote:

someone I once dated made up a whole story about being hit by a car just because he was late getting to my house ... neither the cops nor the hospital believed him (I can imagine how many liars & hypochondriacs they have to deal with daily)

years later, you can imagine my reaction when an employee came to work with the exact same story (& she wasn't even that late) ... it was interesting when she lifted her pantleg to show me her non-existent swelling & bruising but the really funny part was seeing the look on her face when I told her that there's CCTV at that corner so she'll have evidence for her courtcase

in my experience, these people have parents & siblings who enable them and by the time they're adults it's gone on far too long for anyone else to call B.S. and actually help the person

He "plays" the victim well. He goes out of his way to set up his stories.
That will probably be the way the court proceedings will go--LM playing the role of victim.

I'm not talking about a publication ban ... I'm only discussing the law as it relates to pretrial publication. A publication ban relates to trial proceedings.

Bottom line is that people can create rumour and gossip about this case as much as they want, but evidence and fact related to the case will not be released until the trial starts ... except that police may have another press release announcing that Eric is in Montreal, or a lawyer may step forward to state that he/she is representing Eric.

yup, or if additional charges are brought, or if they need information from the public for something else that could come up.. well find out results of hearings, and further dates(e.i., what his plea is, when bail is refused, when the judge says theres enough to go to trial, and when things are going to start)

wont get more then that until trial

CBC News Alerts‏@CBCAlerts

DNA tests confirm remains in Vancouver belong to Jun Lin . Montreal police say Lin's remains sent to 2 schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mili