Aruba - Natalee Holloway, 18, Oranjestad, 30 May 2005 *AL extortion trial* *Guilty* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know why it's not obvious to me, but what is the downside for him to come to the U.S; why would he try to fight it? If found guilty, would he definitely spend more time overall behind bars, or not necessarily? Would the U.S. prison conditions really be significantly different than what he has in Peru?

I don't know why it's not obvious to me, but what is the downside for him to come to the U.S; why would he try to fight it? If found guilty, would he definitely spend more time overall behind bars, or not necessarily? Would the U.S. prison conditions really be significantly different than what he has in Peru?
Since he is being tried for federal crimes, any time he served would be in federal prison which is much better than state prison or Peruvian prison. The crimes for which he is charged also would not likely require maximum security (although that is required at present).

I suspect he is fearful that the US may try to add on additional charges (although I have read that the extradition treaty does not allow that).

So just to give you an idea - in Peruvian prison he was able to have sex with women, get one pregnant, marry them, moved to a different prison where he was able to obtain a girlfriend who helped him smuggle and deal drugs from prison.

Down side: a United States Federal prison will not be letting this dude have sex, have kids, have girlfriends helping him out with drug smuggling.
Downside: He knows he’s facing 40+ years in the US, meaning we will be the one’s closing his casket and he won’t get a chance to run amuck after finishing his 28 year sentence in Peru.

Joran van der Sloot, a man connected to the 2005 disappearance of the American teenager Natalee Holloway, was being temporarily extradited to the U.S. on Thursday to face federal charges of wire fraud and extortion related to her disappearance.

6/8/2023

Why it matters: He faces charges in the U.S.​

Mr. van der Sloot was being extradited to face federal charges of wire fraud and extortion in Alabama related to Ms. Holloway’s disappearance. Prosecutors say he tried to demand a $250,000 payment from Ms. Holloway’s mother, Beth Holloway, claiming to have knowledge of the missing girl’s remains. He received $25,000 from Beth Holloway after providing false information, according to prosecutors. The United States has not charged Mr. van der Sloot with Ms. Holloway’s death or disappearance.

The Peruvian authorities announced last month that they would allow Mr. van der Sloot to be temporarily extradited to the United States. This week, he tried to appeal the extradition, after saying he wouldn’t.

Maximo Altez, Mr. van der Sloot’s lawyer, said his client, who is a citizen of the Netherlands, had changed his mind after meeting with Dutch diplomats in Peru, The Associated Press reported.

The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs declined to comment on the specifics of the case and did not confirm whether diplomats in Peru had visited Mr. van der Sloot.

“The Netherlands can’t get involved in the local due process in another country,” Casper Soetekouw, a spokesman, said. But he added that Dutch citizens in foreign detention could receive help from local diplomats. “That includes visiting a prisoner,” he said.

Since he is being tried for federal crimes, any time he served would be in federal prison which is much better than state prison or Peruvian prison. The crimes for which he is charged also would not likely require maximum security (although that is required at present).

I suspect he is fearful that the US may try to add on additional charges (although I have read that the extradition treaty does not allow that).
For cases brought before the US District Court, the sentencing guidelines provide for the Court to consider the defendants prior criminal history as well as the defendant's security status, assessed per the presentence investigation report by the court's probation officer. In other words, the sentence imposed for wire fraud/extortion is expected to be severe -- beyond his lifetime.

It's my understanding that Van der Sloot is here only temporarily and will be returned to Peru at the conclusion of his federal trial to finish his current sentence before being extradited back to the US where it's believed he will be in federal prison for the remainder of his life.

IMO, knowing Van der Sloot will die in federal custody-- far away from his family and friends in Peru, has to bring comfort to Natalie's family and friends.

ETA: Court TV places Van der Sloot at Category V for sentencing in US District Court.

He continued, “He will stay here until he is tried, and once he is convicted, which I believe he will be, he will stay here until he is sentenced. The moment he is sentenced though, he is sent back to Peru to serve out the remainder of his murder sentence down there, which if he is not paroled or released early, that is 2040. When he is released from the Peruvian prison, he is then extradited back to the United States, to a Bureau of Prisons facility.”

If convicted of both charges, van der Sloot faces a maximum sentence of 50 years.

“He’s going to be an old man when he leaves Peru and then he still has federal US time to face. So, any sentence he could get, is going to be a very close to a life sentence for Joran van der Sloot,” said Town, adding that after serving time in the United States, van der Sloot, “still has Hell to look forward to.”

Town calls this extradition “so important” because it shows justice can be served, even if it takes 18 years.

“This is about one, a mother, to a daughter who was lost, who never gave up, and really it’s about the hope of every crime victim’s family that justice, whether it’s tomorrow, or 18 years after the homicide, that justice can still be served. Whether it’s the state of Alabama or the Department of Justice, that we don’t leave our fight in the dressing room and we will continue to seek justice.

[..]

So it’s important for victims of crime, and the family members of victims of crime understand that yes, the process, it takes longer times sometimes, but it doesn’t have to end with an empty phone call, it can end with the perpetrator in court for something, in this case its extortion and wire fraud, but they are in court and they are facing the federal justice system where there is no sanctuary of parole.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back