ARUBA - Robyn Gardner, 35, Maryland woman missing in Aruba, 2 Aug 2011 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT.... For those who were asking, the Amy Bradley thread is back up. :)

They were swimming right next to Baby Beach, so I would think Stein was familiar with that general area and the conditions that day.

If Robyn was in an impaired or intoxicated state (from the mixture of Ambien and alcohol,) I don't believe she would have gotten that far away from shore to drift away with a supposed current.

GG claims they were in 10 to 15 foot of water. At that time of the evening I would say if he could see the bottom is was probably less (if you are believe his story). So according to GG they were not out that far and close enough LE believes they should have been able to find her body easily. Afterall whether or not you are an expert on tides, currents, etc. you have to believe that those who make their living on such a small island surrounded by water would know what would be normal. I had asked one time awhile ago about drownings in the ocean and was told it happens a couple of times a year. Usually on the backside of the island where tourists are told not to swim because of the strong currents. jmo

I too am sure that Stein is familiar with currents etc.
Problem is, he only has GGs word on if and when and where they entered the water.
So, yeah, I believe authorities would have a pretty good idea of what would be normal, but its all based on info given to them as there were no witnesses to either of them entering the water
We don't know that they were swimming right next to baby beach
That has come from Gary

They were not swimming at Baby Beach
I also question Steins remark, "the few times" . IMO there have been far more than a few drownings at Baby Beach

As far as the body coming ashore, I simply don't know what the statistics are.
How many people have drowned, How many bodies came to shore
I can't wrap my head around the currents and rip tides etc

There are no records of people that have drowned in that area? Why not? I guess that is bad for business . People don't want information on drownings when they are on vacation and want to snorkel in the area. They really don't want to know that currents can sweep you out to sea never to be found again. I see.

There are no records of people that have drowned in that area? Why not? I guess that is bad for business . People don't want information on drownings when they are on vacation and want to snorkel in the area. They really don't want to know that currents can sweep you out to sea never to be found again. I see.

There have been many drownings at Baby beach and they are well documented. The bodies have come back to shore. That is just one of the reasons people do not believe GGs story
Who is saying there have been no drownings?
I am sorry, but I seem to be missing your point

You have to keep in mind, the area where GG said they went in the water is not a tourist snorkelling area according to most reports on here
Had they mentioned their plans, if snorkelling was part of their plans, I assume that someone may have mentioned that there are good and bad places

According to GG, they went in the water at Nanki Beach
I have no idea of the statistics for Nanki Beach, or even if anyone would snorkel there given the rough coastline

The dangers at Baby Beach are known , its no secret that people are told to stay within certain areas for their own safety
The only thing you can do is warn people.
The rest is up to them.

But we will point out that, once you get beyond Baby Beach, beyond that break wall, if you were to venture out where you might see the waves breaking behind me, the locals say that`s actually a very dangerous area, that there is a strong current beyond the break wall. Excuse me. And it will suck you down. So that`s what they point our here as far as the lay of the land. Baby Beach for the most part, beautiful. But does have dangers in the distance.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1108/11/ddhln.01.html

JMO

And yet GG claims to have been able to swim back to shore in those "rough" waters with his hairpiece still in perfectly intact and still wearing a pair of heavy water laden sneakers. Amazing. Even more so that he was so fearful for his life he left RG behind but it never occurred to him to remove his shoes. His guilt must be overwhelming......oh, wait he filed a suit against AmEx for the insurance money. So I guess his guilt is not so much. I think GG is what he is. jmo

I think one needs to be aware to experience guilt of any kind, whether its guilt from murder or guilt from not preventing an accident, or at least, doing all you could to prevent an accident

When I watch him, all i can see is one who feels above it all
That may not be fair as everyone experiences things differently, but that is honestly what i see

I do not feel that theirs was a warm and fuzzy relationship, but my Gawd, a woman is missing

I think one needs to be aware to experience guilt of any kind, whether its guilt from murder or guilt from not preventing an accident, or at least, doing all you could to prevent an accident

When I watch him, all i can see is one who feels above it all
That may not be fair as everyone experiences things differently, but that is honestly what i see

I do not feel that theirs was a warm and fuzzy relationship, but my Gawd, a woman is missing

From what we have seen of GG, he does not feel guilt of any kind, nor does he care that RG is missing. His only concern seems to be getting his hands on that money. So much so that he filed his lawsuit prematurely. Insurance companies won't consider a missing person's case for at least a year after they are reported missing and then in most cases it's investigated. jmo

From what we have seen of GG, he does not feel guilt of any kind, nor does he care that RG is missing. His only concern seems to be getting his hands on that money. So much so that he filed his lawsuit prematurely. Insurance companies won't consider a missing person's case for at least a year after they are reported missing and then in most cases it's investigated. jmo

I would expect that there will certainly be an investigation before Amex pays out that sum of money. Especially under these circumstances.

Gary is pushing it and I find that curious.
Is he that certain that nothing of value to the insurance company will be uncovered?

I know nothing about this type of insurance, but maybe someone else???
Does Amex have to prove he is at fault?
If so, wouldn't his statements about ambien and vodka be enough ?
If they never find Robyn, all they have is a police investigation that has not uncovered enough to bring charges, regardless of the personal beliefs of LE.

It seems to me, the most damning evidence is the evidence GG gave about drugs and booze. It would be hard to deny this, they are his words. The only witness to what happened, AFAIK

all JMO

One more question...
Is there some kind of timeline that Amex would have to follow or can they drag this on in hopes of new information?

Oh, and my book arrived today
I plan on spending the weekend with it
Can't get into FSG no matter what!!!

Neesaki, have you finished it?
Your thoughts?

Oh, and my book arrived today
I plan on spending the weekend with it
Can't get into FSG no matter what!!!

Neesaki, have you finished it?
Your thoughts?

Yes, I finished mine some time ago. It is quite different from the actual case. The author was quite successful at being careful not to bring on libel or slander suits, imo, yet wove an intriguing tale. There are a few things that those who are familiar with the case and circumstances might connect to the real thing, but really, you kind of have to try to do that. I of course, had no problem, :rolleyes:.

BTW, it's almost a year since Robyn disappeared. I so really, really thought, hoped that LE would come forth with something, anything to get GG on. It's really quite discouraging. Well, maybe there's still time?

Link to the first article posted on Robyn Gardner thread #1, alerting Websleuthers to Robyn's disappearance:

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/08/robyn-gardner-frederick-woman-missing-in-aruba-64854.html

B&SBM:
Robyn Gardner, Bethesda woman missing in Aruba
"A week has passed since Robyn Gardner of Frederick was last heard from after she went missing in Aruba, and on Tuesday, several women say that the man she was last seen with caused other women to fear for their safety.
Gardner went missing on the Caribbean island about 16 miles off the coast of Venezuela..."....
"A woman tells ABC7 that she ran into Giordano a few days before he left for Aruba and told him to stay away from her.
"He was following me, stalking me," she said. "It freaked me out."
The woman also says she doesn't believe that Gardner was swept out to sea."
I didn't realize that the woman ran into GG only a few days before he left for Aruba, so he was stalking her right before he and Robyn left? That's even creepier, imo.

BTW, Dushi, I noticed you were on this case from the very beginning, and are one of the few who are still here. :cheers: to a truly dedicated Sleuther!

Unfortunately for me, I came in later, but better late than never I guess. It is kind of sad that many of the early posters who followed this case early on, have fallen by the wayside. :(

I would expect that there will certainly be an investigation before Amex pays out that sum of money. Especially under these circumstances.

Gary is pushing it and I find that curious.
Is he that certain that nothing of value to the insurance company will be uncovered?

I know nothing about this type of insurance, but maybe someone else???
Does Amex have to prove he is at fault?
If so, wouldn't his statements about ambien and vodka be enough ?
If they never find Robyn, all they have is a police investigation that has not uncovered enough to bring charges, regardless of the personal beliefs of LE.

It seems to me, the most damning evidence is the evidence GG gave about drugs and booze. It would be hard to deny this, they are his words. The only witness to what happened, AFAIK

all JMO

One more question...
Is there some kind of timeline that Amex would have to follow or can they drag this on in hopes of new information?

I would be very surprised if GG was able to get any money from AmEx because of statements he made to LE about them drinking and that RG had taken an Ambien before leaving the hotel.

Plus he has opened himself up to an investigation now in the US ,IMI, if he pursues trying to put a claim in for the insurance. I also think the insurance company can hold him up long enough for the US to do their own investigation and charge him. In the US you don't need a video or a body to bring charges. For RG's sake I hope it gets done. If nothing else it will clear up a lot of questions we might have. jmo

Just a reminder Gary's court date for indecent exposure is coming up soon.

Court Scheduling Information

Trial Date: 08/10/2012 Trial Time:01:15 PM Room:004
Trial Type:
Trial Location:251 ROWE BOULEVARD ANNAPOLIS 21401-1518

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.u...l.jis?caseId=5A00250409&loc=27&detailLoc=DSCR

Curious as to Maryland laws requiring Indecent Exposure and came across this:

SBM: Quotes taken from: http://www.marylandsexcrimedefenselawyer.com/indecent-exposure.html
Punishment for Indecent Exposure Convictions

Usually, indecent exposure is classified as a simple misdemeanor, but it can also be a felony in some instances. A lot depends on what the court decides was the intention behind the act. The location where the incident occurred is also important. Committing indecent exposure in playgrounds, school yards and other places where there are typically a lot of children will usually be viewed as quite a serious offense and will result in harsher punishments. Also, those who have been convicted of indecent exposure in the past will normally receive harsher penalties. Punishments for this crime can include fines, jail time or psychiatric treatment.

Consequences of Indecent Exposure Convictions

Aside from the punishments mentioned above, an indecent exposure conviction usually results in lasting and detrimental consequences, largely because convicted individuals are required to register as sex offenders. This can make finding a job difficult, and the conviction itself will likely disrupt or destroy your family life and close friendships. These long-term consequences can often be much more devastating than the punishment handed down by the courts.

Very true! But as far as I know the only people that were swepped out to sea never to be found again were just the missing americans like Robyn and Max De Vries. Of course both cases have very suspicious circumstances and foul play is suspected.

In the last seven years there has been lots of drownings both up on the northern shore(Conchi) and down south at Baby Beach but in each and every case the body has been recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member