AUS - Khandalyce Kiara Pearce (Wynarka) and mum Karlie Pearce-Stevenson (Belanglo) #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone wants to go back to re-read exactly what Professor Austin said about the DNA testing he was conducting - what is possible, and what is not possible in the Wynarka bones forensic examination - I recommend reading this interview with him.
As it is primary source material, it carries a much greater weight of credibility than secondary reporting.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2015/s4306466.htm

Before my current career I used to work in media analysis, but you can believe I'm making this up if it doesn't fit with your beliefs ;)

A vast majority of the time, journalists are privy to information the public does not have access to. Remember when Jill Meagher's body was found? At a press conference police asked journalists not to publish certain things, but they still went ahead and told the journalists. None of that information was released by the media at that time. Most of the time the police and journalists work side by side but there are times, of course, when the police need to tell the media to back off.

Sometimes journalists slip up and accidentally allude to things the public don't know the details of. That is an unfortunate fact of life. When the parties involved become aware of this, the article is changed or pulled, usually willingly because of legal requirements. Other times an injunction needs to be sought (for a very trivial example, see DM with the Bachelorette spoiler photos).

Then there are the trashy gossip columns that deliberately make things up (Daily Mail is the best example). There was an excellent example of this last week when DM published a photo of the Bachelorette runner up with a 'mystery brunette', even though they explicitly knew their content was incorrect. The mystery brunette was a journalist who informed DM of her identity but they went ahead and published her photo while alluding to a romance between the two. She had been interviewing him as part of her job. When called on it by her company, DM changed their article to reflect that.

Most of the time, news articles are updated constantly and they are changed to reflect the information given to them as deemed appropriate for the public. Usually, this is the straight out truth. Other times the information has to be censored for legal reasons.

While investigative journalism has changed a lot over the past years, it is - by nature - bound to publish information that then needs to be edited, either to reflect updated information or to comply with legal requirements. Journalists are bound by a strict code of ethics and while there are definitely those who do not comply, most do.

Anyone armchair detective who wastes their time 'researching' current cases such as this one (in order to point out factual inaccuracies) is going to end up with nothing but a pile of outdated information very quickly. And since you do not have access to a lot of the information, it is a useless endeavour. Journalists already know that their articles change. They report what is known at the time - and while some definitely jump the gun in hour race to be first or to get an exclusive, you can't just accuse them of being factually incorrect without proof.

This is why you should keep your social media profiles set to private but I agree they didn't need to show her face, could have even blurred it out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Why did they raid her home when she lived somewhere completely different with DH? Seems a bit heavy handed.
I'm guessing some kind of forensic evidence. Possibly a location where a body was decomposing. Evidence would be in the soil.

“He advised police that she was an ex-girlfriend. Police allege that the accused is using this keycard as another form of identification. The keycard is expired and the bank has since changed names,” court documents read. “The owner resides in another state, and so police destroyed the card.”

How can you say you are using a card in your ex-girlfriend's name as a form of identification for yourself?

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...d-mums-bank-card/story-fnii5yv4-1227588875707

Sorry for quoting myself, I'm just running scenarios where it's likely he would be able to say her card is used for his ID...

If you have a business can you get a bank card with something like "Joe Blogs, t/a ABC Business"? I'm thinking that with all of the different ABNs out there could there have been a joint ABN or business in both names? I assume no because I haven't come across any but who knows. Could he have had documentation linking him to Karlie in a business relationship so if he went to the bank or whatever and was questioned about using a card in her name he could pull something out and say "oh she's my business partner and I grabbed her card by mistake"? My husband uses a corporate credit card for work and it doesn't have his name on it; if he's questioned about something with the transaction he can pull out a work order or his work ID to show he works there.

This is pretty basic. I don't understand what the significant others in the accused's life understood that he was doing when he was driving all over the place, state to state.

Did anyone have the last time line of events posted in this thread bookmarked? Id like to add a few things to it.

The house raid on the 21st October HP'S house
Link provided http://tenplay.com.au/news/adelaide/2015/10/28/frightening-parallels

999 calls made to crime stoppers regarding the case Published on Aug 23, 2015 By SA police
Link provided [video=youtube;TESTFYI2HFE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TESTFYI2HFE[/video]

call number 1267 On Oct 8th provided a breakthrough but linked the two investigations in the most tragic way.
Link provided http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-call-...ng-murder-investigations-20151021-gkf1q7.html

12th October a 2nd call to crime stoppers - someone provided a photograph showing Khandalyce in a stroller with the quilt that was found in the suitcase with her bones. Then a later photograph showed Khandalyce wearing a pink dress found in the suitcase.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-call-...ng-murder-investigations-20151021-gkf1q7.html

Regarding the "raids". How do we define a "raid"?
Maybe it's just me, but a raid sounds like a swarm of police in flak jackets yelling "hup, hup, hup" as they bash down the door and enter with a search warrant.

The police statement refers to "searches", not "raids".
Is here a difference? Or is this just another unnecessary sensationalism by the reporting media?

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-pol...l-service-area/task-force-mallee#.VjQm3bcrKUk

Sorry for quoting myself, I'm just running scenarios where it's likely he would be able to say her card is used for his ID...

If you have a business can you get a bank card with something like "Joe Blogs, t/a ABC Business"? I'm thinking that with all of the different ABNs out there could there have been a joint ABN or business in both names? I assume no because I haven't come across any but who knows. Could he have had documentation linking him to Karlie in a business relationship so if he went to the bank or whatever and was questioned about using a card in her name he could pull something out and say "oh she's my business partner and I grabbed her card by mistake"? My husband uses a corporate credit card for work and it doesn't have his name on it; if he's questioned about something with the transaction he can pull out a work order or his work ID to show he works there.

All of the ABN's that I've seen so far have been Sole Traders/Individuals - IMO from that there would not be a business relationship linking them together.

If there was a partnership or business name that we haven't seen, it's possible. I would think unlikely though.

Regarding the "raids". How do we define a "raid"?
My it's just me, but a raid sounds like a swarm of police in flak jackets yelling "hup, hup, hup" as they bash down the door and enter with a search warrant.

The police statement refers to "searches", not "raids".
Is here a difference? Or is this just another unnecessary sensationalism by the reporting media?

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-pol...l-service-area/task-force-mallee#.VjQm3bcrKUk

Ive watched a MSM link on a current affair i think it was and an eye witness being interviewed mentions they watched the police (a large number of them) pull up at a property in devon park, they stayed for hours with a large trailer and removed items from the house. I will get you a link

I agree with you raid to me seems like the police busting through the doors with the squat team and sniffer dogs ect

pretty sure her mental state was not good for these reasons and could explain why she said nothing for so many years:

* man she was in a relationship with was driving the car that killed her kids and injured herself
* man left her high and dry recouperating in rehab (for whatever reason) and was travelling around Oz with a friend who was their friend before said accident.
* man and friend now romantically involved
* friend (probably now ex friend) romantically involved with her ex boyfriend - still has a kid (everything she lost).

So not only did this man have involvement in taking 2 of her kids, her mobility/lifestyle forever more, he ran off with her friend leaving her in hospital.

Pretty sure I wouldn't care too much if either of them fell off the face of the earth if I was her.

Just sayin'

I wonder if HP will be returning to her home?
I drove past there this morning and it is still teaming with press crews but the house and driveway are empty.
Nobody seems to have seen her since yesterday.

The link to the timeline should be on page one of this thread.

pretty sure her mental state was not good for these reasons and could explain why she said nothing for so many years:

* man she was in a relationship with was driving the car that killed her kids and injured herself
* man left her high and dry recouperating in rehab (for whatever reason) and was travelling around Oz with a friend who was their friend before said accident.
* man and friend now romantically involved
* friend (probably now ex friend) romantically involved with her ex boyfriend - still has a kid (everything she lost).

So not only did this man have involvement in taking 2 of her kids, her mobility/lifestyle forever more, he ran off with her friend leaving her in hospital.

Pretty sure I wouldn't care too much if either of them fell off the face of the earth if I was her.

Just sayin'

I agree with you.
And if she turns out to be entirely innocent then I am appalled at the public scrutiny she has been placed under, including her dead children's faces published in the media (they haven't all pixelated them) in connection with such horrific crimes.

Maybe they thought he might sometime present himself as Karlie? I mean it isn't impossible a guy would use the diminutive version of the name if he got used to it as a nickname.

What is far more likely is they found him sketchy as hell, did the obvious and easy checks like whether the card had been reported stolen or belonged to a person known to be missing, didn't have a lot of time to go fishing into details of it all (maybe they got a call to attend an accident or something?) and thought destroying the card was a darn good compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member