Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
different newspapers have different reasons for the lunch ....

it was supposed to be a family meal where differences could be reconciled and future plans made for the sake of the estranged couple’s children

I'm seeing no hostility between her guests and herself.
There is no evidence of this is there apart from that tall tale told by the dm suggesting it was a mediation?
I do hope the police interview the person that made those statements.
I'm sure, yes, they will be looking to interview the friend of Simon who has been so forthcoming to the press. Moo

Last edited:
“Erin Patterson had a collection of books about mushrooms which she kept at her home where her fatal beef wellington lunch took place, Daily Mail Australia has been told.

A friend claimed the shelves of her family home at Leongatha included books about delicious yet potentially deadly fungi.

Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday reported Ms Patterson, 48, was an 'experienced forager' who - like many families in the area - picked mushrooms when they were in season”.

Story by Wayne Flower, Melbourne Correspondent and Candace Sutton For Daily Mail •

MSN

A tradesman apparently took the picture. He's been paid for it by the media. Frankly, its an invasion of privacy in my opinion.
Nor has it anything to do with the deaths of 3 people.
Gutter journalism.
see I disagree 100%

I find it extremely relevant.
Showing the normal going on behind the scenes helps alot.
As long as he went to the cops first I am all good with what he did.

No pass from me the 'scribbles' on the wall.
Take the time to really study it and it is the mind of an extremely disturbed unhinged individual.

I for one, find it ludicrous blaming 10 and 12 year olds for the deranged babble.

The totality of poisoning people in a mass serial killing way plays along perfectly with the vulgar death projections and doom on the wall. Including the insinuation of family member deaths.

So so glad that painter had the foresight to take photos of it.

Past behaviour predicts future behaviour.

see I disagree 100%

Take the time to really study it and it is the mind of an extremely disturbed unhinged individual.

I for one, find it ludicrous blaming 10 and 12 year olds for the deranged babble.

The totality of poisoning people in a mass serial killing way plays along perfectly with the vulgar death projections and doom on the wall. Including the insinuation of family member deaths.

Drawing on your own interior wall isn't against the law so I don't think he would have gone to the cops - either when he took the photos or a year later when he sold them to the press. It will be interesting to see whether the wall drawings form any part of a potential future criminal case regarding mushroom poisoning. The only way Imo that might happen would be if there was a picture of a mushroom on the wall labelled death cap - didn't see anything like that. Jmo.

see I disagree 100%

I see it that way as well.

I would be agitated in front of a group of relatives saying if they thought I was good enough or worthy.

But then I would never agree to a situation like that.
EP stated to the media these people were only ever loving and kind to her.

That doesn't sound judgey to me and she has not implied this scenario at all.

Hearsay from a friend of the ex who refused to put his name to it.
Got legs and became part of the 'facts.'

Victim bashing to suggest these people were there in some kind of confrontational manner.

Last edited:
Drawing on your own interior wall isn't against the law so I don't think he would have gone to the cops - either when he took the photos or a year later when he sold them to the press. It will be interesting to see whether the wall drawings form any part of a potential future criminal case regarding mushroom poisoning. The only way Imo that might happen would be if there was a picture of a mushroom on the wall labelled death cap - didn't see anything like that. Jmo.
Agree
I am glad he was disturbed enough to document it and saved it.

Am wondering if maybe she enjoys magic mushrooms??
That would make sense to the weird babble onthe wall.

only speculating though.

<modsnip>. I can't find any wording about worthiness and not being good enough in any of the mainstream media. I'm hoping someone can link an article.
I'll try to find. I think the phrasing from the source was "not good enough" rather than unworthy. I remember it well so will have a squizz.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>I can't find any wording about worthiness and not being good enough in any of the mainstream media. I'm hoping someone can link an article.

"Simon's friend said he didn't want to reconcile with Erin.
"She was basically petitioning to get back with him and the family didn't think that was a good move," he said.
"They basically didn't think she was good enough for him.""

I'm sure there were others who reported this also. This was just the first I found with search terms "mushroom poisoning simon's friend not good enough"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to find. I think the phrasing from the source was "not good enough" rather than unworthy. I remember it well so will have a squizz.
Whether Erin was "good enough" and "worthy" were quotes early on from "a friend".

Now that they've got that in people's minds it's progressed to being an expert on mushrooms.

Invisible friend or friends who don't seem to like Erin one bit, seem to have the ears of the media.

I have books on mushrooms :eek: Plus I have picked them in the past Oh No! :eek:

I don't think it would take too much if it was me to go to "ooh suspicious" Must be guilty.

On Divorce in OZ, Who is Entitled to Retain Inherited Property?

@jjleroche Good question. I don't have a solid answer, but from what I've skimmed re OZ. laws, a couple may enter pre-nuptial or ante-nuptial agreements re property division/settlement, or at time of separation or divorce, per OZ Family Law Act.
"Part VIII—Property, spousal maintenance and maintenance agreements 306" *

Did they (their attys?) reach a property agreement, authorized by ^ statute? IDK.

Or did the court direct property division for them? IDK, but if so, here's info from a Victoria law firm discussing FACTORS OZ COURTS CONSIDER:
"In most cases, Australian courts will consider the totality of the property available for division between the parties. How and when the property was acquired and each party's contributions to property may ultimately have a substantial impact on what each party keeps as their final property settlement outcome.

"Can I protect particular assets from a property settlement in the event of a separation?
"As demonstrated above, property is defined broadly for the purposes of Australian family law proceedings. Al66pine
The only way parties can quarantine or protect particular assets or financial interests from a property settlement claim is to address the division of assets (and exclude the jurisdiction of court) by entering into a financial agreement at the commencement of, during or after a relationship/marriage, pursuant to the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth)."

Same law firm:
"Ultimately, unless a financial agreement has been properly prepared and entered into, a former partner may be entitled to property that one party intended to quarantine from a property settlement upon separation – notwithstanding any private understandings or any other agreements that the parties may have had during their relationship."
What is "property" in Australian family law? | Lander & Rogers

^^^ imo ^^^
If any of our verified legal professionals (esp'ly from OZ) has rung in on this topic, I've missed it.
Great post al66pine.
IANAL but have experential personal knowledge of the Australian Family Law Act.

IIRC EP and SP had been living apart for some time (even though not divorced) prior to the passing of EP's mother. (ICBW - haven't been able to locate the relevant posts yet.)

If so, IMO it is unlikely that SP would have a valid claim to the inheritance unless other factors exist(ed).

I get the impression that EP is quite astute financially (ICBW). If so, IMO financial settlements etc may have been addressed some time ago.

JMO

"Simon's friend said he didn't want to reconcile with Erin.
"She was basically petitioning to get back with him and the family didn't think that was a good move," he said.
"They basically didn't think she was good enough for him.""

I'm sure there were others who reported this also. This was just the first I found with search terms "mushroom poisoning simon's friend not good enough"

We don't know anything more from this article on who Simons 'friend' is.

It is still an unsubstantiated statement by an unnamed source.

EP stated on record all the people who died were nothing but kind and lovely to her.

smh :oops:
facts matter

Whether Erin was "good enough" and "worthy" were quotes early on from "a friend".

Now that they've got that in people's minds it's progressed to being an expert on mushrooms.

Invisible friend or friends who don't seem to like Erin one bit, seem to have the ears of the media.

I have books on mushrooms :eek: Plus I have picked them in the past Oh No! :eek:

I don't think it would take too much if it was me to go to "ooh suspicious" Must be guilty.
The almost sole early source was reported as Simon's friend I think. Maybe some outlets re-reported using the term 'a friend' instead, Idk.Moo.

Not that it probably matters much, but lately info reported has been attributed to 'a friend' or some outlets prefer 'family friend' it seems. Both terms refer to the same information - so it would seem to depend on the outlet. Usually there is the outlet that has actually gathered/'researched' the story, then the others just re-report Imo.

I’m still open to it being an accident.

I think if in fact she was an experienced regular forager, in my mind that makes an accidental poisoning more likely rather than less. They probably often had dehydrated mushrooms in the house and cooked with them often.

I can’t explain why she is still alive. Maybe she really did get sick but her portion had a much lower dose of the poison by chance, and the medicine had she claims was given really was and that saved her. Her behaviour and lies are odd but maybe she panicked realising her error and has handled the situation truly terribly. You can be awkward and a compulsive liar and also not a murderer.

I am leaning towards it being deliberate rather than an accident but there is so much unknown still.

If it was an accident, I can’t imagine what Erin would be grappling with.

Last edited:
If they separated years ago, was it like being separated, but not either of them moving on with anyone else.

It seems to me if we are to believe that Erin wanted to get back together, there must be a reason why she thought it might be possible after all that time.

Maybe she did keep doing things for Simon, like housekeeping things, looking after him, because she didn't want to give up on the marriage.

Maybe she thought there was still a chance.

She may have been lead to believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member