Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t even say the reporting style is “suggestive” or “insinuating” anything, the reporter has done some background research and laid out facts around that.
I do think they are suggesting, likely they have "off the record information" (information given by a source but not able to be stated in a story absent another official source) that is more pointed. And for certain they are withholding anything direct due to legal concerns. The UK and Australia libel and slander laws have much much lower thresholds for a plaintiff to establish than the US. It is why you don't see as much "on background" (stated but not attributed) in UK and Aus press on criminals and potential criminal cases. so Daily Mail and any Aus press is going to be careful with anything they say despite what they may believe or have been told off the record.

I do think they are suggesting, likely they have "off the record information" (information given by a source but not able to be stated in a story absent another official source) that is more pointed. And for certain they are withholding anything direct due to legal concerns. The UK and Australia libel and slander laws have much much lower thresholds for a plaintiff to establish than the US. It is why you don't see as much "on background" (stated but not attributed) in UK and Aus press on criminals and potential criminal cases. so Daily Mail and any Aus press is going to be careful with anything they say despite what they may believe or have been told off the record.
Yes am familiar with what OTR is, and I agree with all of your post.

Thank you for posting.

maybe a bit o/t, but am I the only fan of DM's crime reporting here?
Their celebrity section is a whole different business, and some local (UK) stuff too, but in general, I think they are doing a good job with that bit.
No, you’re not the only fan! Their crime reporting is top-notch. I often go to their crime reporting first, then check out the other mastheads when I am interested in learning about a case.

Their celebrity reporting is ok too - I’m just not much into that topic as a whole.

Cup of coffee doesn't countain mushrooms. And why would EP show up in the hospital claming to be sick? As far asI can tell, she went in, got send home, and then returned again. So she is either actually sick, or is claiming to be sick because she knows she cooked a very special meal there.
Hi!! I've been following along and there is actually mushroom coffee! Just google it and it's promoted as a HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE
to regular coffee!! Just one more thing to ponder. JMO MOO

No, you’re not the only fan! Their crime reporting is top-notch. I often go to their crime reporting first, then check out the other mastheads when I am interested in learning about a case.

Their celebrity reporting is ok too - I’m just not much into that topic as a whole.
Apparently EP qualifies as a celebrity now. There's a biography page for her on a site called celebsweek.

Hi!! I've been following along and there is actually mushroom coffee! Just google it and it's promoted as a HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE
Well mushrooms are fungus which entire biological kingdom just like plant kingdom and animal kingdom. There are three to four million specifies of fungus and thousands of species of mushrooms.

Mushroom positioning is extremely rare. From what I have read among the most common poisoning scenarios are amateurs collectors, where one has immigrants who are used to collecting a specific species that they can readily identify as safe., move from one region of the planet move to another. They then end up collecting something in their new home that looks virtually identical to the safe one from their old home, but in fact is different and highly toxic.

In the US insurers insist that food stores only sell commercial grown mushrooms so it is near impossible to get toxic mushrooms when buying from a market.

Let’s not forget

The eerie last words of one of the victims of the poisonous mushroom lunch are said to have made paramedics call police immediately.

News.com.au reported that one of the ambulance workers who responded to the tragedy alerted police after hearing the dying words of one victim. They reported the guest’s last whispers were so alarming that they felt obliged to pass them on to investigators. However their exact words have not been made public.
So if this is true makes me wonder if she had been acting strange at lunch that day.

Let’s not forget

The eerie last words of one of the victims of the poisonous mushroom lunch are said to have made paramedics call police immediately.

News.com.au reported that one of the ambulance workers who responded to the tragedy alerted police after hearing the dying words of one victim. They reported the guest’s last whispers were so alarming that they felt obliged to pass them on to investigators. However their exact words have not been made public.

So if this is true makes me wonder if she had been acting strange at lunch that day.
<modsnip: off topic> How would an ambulance worker know whether a patient would speak again before dying a week later?

An ambulance worker who responded to the apparent mushroom poisoning incident reported to police something one of the patients said. We don't know what it was. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
It has to be delivered within 4 hours of eating the mushrooms. They likely didn't even have symptoms yet within 4 hours of eating the mushrooms.

It is very interesting that a dye is used as an antidote for poisonous fungi.

Another toxin, another dye:

Prussian blue (Radiogardase™, potassium ferric hexacyanoferrate) was approved by the FDA in 2003 for use in non-radioactive thallium poisoning.

It would be intersecting to discuss what dyes do in the body to be used as antidotes.

Yes, they were used during wars and hunger. Acorn coffee and mushroom coffee.

However, mushrooms are not the greatest source of nutrients because they are poorly absorbed by a human body. Even a champignon julienne, lovely food, is rapidly excreted. The most nutritious thing in it is mayonnaise. (Just thinking about the fact that mushrooms, while very tasty, might not be the greatest food for humans to start with).

And then, they all contain some alkaloids, and the amount might differ from one year to another. Some years, even edible ones are not great.

Well mushrooms are fungus which entire biological kingdom just like plant kingdom and animal kingdom. There are three to four million specifies of fungus and thousands of species of mushrooms.

Mushroom positioning is extremely rare. From what I have read among the most common poisoning scenarios are amateurs collectors, where one has immigrants who are used to collecting a specific species that they can readily identify as safe., move from one region of the planet move to another. They then end up collecting something in their new home that looks virtually identical to the safe one from their old home, but in fact is different and highly toxic.

In the US insurers insist that food stores only sell commercial grown mushrooms so it is near impossible to get toxic mushrooms when buying from a market.

Speaking about cultural attitude to mushroom. In a mushroom year at Cape Cod, you'd hear mostly Russian and Polish speech in the forests. ))

Here in Washington. A friend of mine posts on my FB "time to go mushrooming, Charlotte". And suddenly the post gets hundreds of likes and even hearts.

(The locals, you see. They fourage for "other" mushrooms ;) )

Yes, I’m sure LE will investigate a possible connection, and until they reach a conclusion it’s not unreasonable to suspend judgement.
IIRC, it was stated early on that there was some pressure on EP to take on the caring duties of SP during his recovery. (They were already separated, and she wasn't keen, but reluctantly agreed.)

If, this is true, and she was indeed carIng for him, I imagine that EP wasn't suspected of poisoning by SP at that time. IMO

IIRC, it was stated early on that there was some pressure on EP to take on the caring duties of SP during his recovery. (They were already separated, and she wasn't keen, but reluctantly agreed.)

If, this is true, and she was indeed carIng for him, I imagine that EP wasn't suspected of poisoning by SP at that time. IMO
I agree. I think his apparent suspicions re his own 2022 illness, if he has made statements to that effect to others as reported via anonymous source in select Msm, are recently made statements. Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876