Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A uniformed officer and a black dog on the porch of a house.

A police officer investigating with a dog at the property of Erin Patterson in Leongatha, Australia, on Thursday

“Today’s charges are just the next step in what has been an incredibly complex, methodical and thorough investigation by homicide squad detectives,” said Detective Inspector Dean Thomas, from the homicide squad.

Patterson, 49, was remanded in custody to appear at Morwell Magistrates’ Court on Friday morning.

Patterson’s lawyer, Ophelia Hollway, left the police station about 7.20pm after five hours of questioning.

An armchair on the back deck and bushes close to the house received particularly close attention from the canines
"Patterson’s lawyer, Ophelia Hollway, left the police station about 7.20pm after five hours of questioning."

Five hours? So they were serious and going at her. I am surprised her attorney let them question her for so long.

I don't think he would have gone to the police even before the lunch but he certainly had made the connection before he went to the hospital but possibly as soon as he knew his parents were ill.

But I can't help wondering about why he didn't share his suspicions about Erin to his parents and warn them not to have lunch at Erin's that day. .
I don't think he believed she was after his parents or his aunt and uncle. He probably assumed she was just after him, as they were divorcing. It probably never occurred to him that she would try to poison his family.

So, she plates 4 servings, and then asks each person to pick one....
I think she either had two Beef Wellingtons---one tainted and one not----

OR she had some toxic mushroom sauce/gravy. So people picked their own plate but she was in charge of what was on the plates. Very EASY to serve yourself from the toxic free platter once the others 'choose' their own serving.

If SP’s illness really wasn’t able to be diagnosed then IMO it would be likely that the hospital retained at least one specimen for possible future testing. If so then LE probably asked for further tests.

In one of the early msm articles it was suggested that his illness could have been caused by something in the nightshade family. So I wonder if he was ever exposed to solanine poisoning?

Edited to add a link.

Didn't he have surgery to have part of his intestines removed if I recall correctly?

If so, that would have been sent for biopsy / histology and they will have recorded the scanning, testing, and imagery. This could now be reviewed in terms of intentional poisoning, I reckon.

There are two aspects since the beginning of this case that I am mystified about:

1. On what basis were the Pattersons and Wilkinsons invited to the lunch?

2. What was Erin's motive for murdering them?
Originally it was said that the 4 guests were supposed to 'mediate' for SP and EP. And the subject of mediation was the children.

Then after SP cancelled, it was said they were going to 'negotiate' with EP about the children. So I think it was about custody arrangements after the upcoming divorce. And possibly also about child rearing advice---wanting the kids to have more tie with the grandparents and more time at church, and with their father, etc

"Patterson’s lawyer, Ophelia Hollway, left the police station about 7.20pm after five hours of questioning."

Five hours? So they were serious and going at her. I am surprised her attorney let them question her for so long.

That is a long time. I wonder if she talked or stayed 'no comment' or 'don't know'. I wonder how far down the line they were before she realised she wasn't going back home.

Hmmm 7.20pm. That suggests some overtime for the lawyer - EP’s financial situation becoming more precarious by the hour! :D

How long before her first court date?

I have little knowledge on Australia law and how it works.
Article on ABC said she will be in Leongatha magistrates court Friday. But major action
won’t be till next year given Christmas and summer holidays etc. Court date of something else recently on the news here and they were already talking 2024, so I’m betting on like Feb or March at earliest.

Last edited:
Great post, @imstilla.grandma

So if convicted, that’s potentially 25 years multiplied by 3, so that’s 75 years max plus the 5 attempted murder charges added into the mix, if she gets convicted on those charges. But as you said, 25 years per murder conviction is a maximum sentence, and it’s not a minimum sentence.

I think there may be a possibility that police have already thought this sentencing mathematical equation through, and potentially they’ve laid all of the 8 charges to attempt to put her away for life because, possibly she’s a risk to community safety and to her loved ones. Allegedly. And of course, because it’s their job and the courts job to uphold the laws of the land.

All imho

Erin has always claimed her innocence of any wrongdoing.
If she was out on bail, I'd be very worried for her children. EP seems like someone who might go the murder/suicide route. JMO

She was arrested on Thursday morning and taken to Wonthaggi Police Station for questioning in the afternoon after police searched her Leongatha home, where the family lunch was served.

Patterson was ushered into the back of a police vehicle and driven away through a roller door on one side of the police station about 8.15pm.

Patterson’s lawyer, Ophelia Hollway, left the police station about 7.20pm after five hours of questioning. Hollway refused to comment as she rushed past journalists, TV cameras and photographers to get to her car.

That’s a biiiggggg day for Ophelia!

Erin Patterson charged with murder over Leongatha mushroom deaths
Imagine having a name like Ophelia in this mess: Hamlet, "something rotten in Denmark". Death, poison, intrigue, graveyard, madness....

*Oh my. I’m so surprised. I was not expecting this!

“A 49-year-old Leongatha woman was arrested at her home address shortly after 8am on 2 November,” police said.

“A search warrant has been executed at the Gibson Street address, with assistance from the AFP’s [Australian federal police’s] technology detector dogs.

“The woman will now be interviewed by police and the investigation remains ongoing.”
Wild that she poisoned her husband too, and got away with it til now...

Is there a FBI criminal psychological profile out there of these women who poison family members? I feel like we see more and more of it.

Police said the attempted murder charges are related to three separate incidents that took place in Victoria in 2021 and 2022.

“It’s alleged a 48-year-old Korumburra man became ill following meals on these dates,” police said.

Patterson’s husband, Simon Patterson, posted on social media last year that he was in an induced coma for 16 days and required three emergency operations on his small intestine after falling ill and nearly dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member