Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the impression that despite all the circumstantial evidence, the police lack a smoking gun and were hoping that this latest search of the house would uncover something.

I wonder if they've been pre-emptive in arresting and charging her because they're going to *need* those sniffer dogs to find something IMO

If she really did there would be a whole community of sick people.

Not if there was a one off incident. Obviously would be a rare and unusual thing, almost unbelievable, but then again so is deliberately poisoning 4 or 5 people, quite unbelievable. The judge and jury need to see evidence not speculation or debates about the likelihood of which is least likely.

If she really did there would be a whole community of sick people.
A small supermarket might not sell mushrooms everyday, like the large supermarkets. They could have seen the headlines and threw out the batch just in case, leaving one or maybe two purchases of mushrooms on their best days.
She seems intelligent enough to commit the crime, but the plot itself isn't very smart. This may be still an accident with coincidence and why it really doesn't make sense. It would be interesting to see evidence from her computer. Reports from people who claim to know her seems a little spiteful for their own misgivings with her. Country communities can be vicious and people tend to pile on the same way that they do on social media. It's why hard evidence is really important.

Not if there was a one off incident. Obviously would be a rare and unusual thing, almost unbelievable, but then again so is deliberately poisoning 4 or 5 people, quite unbelievable. The judge and jury need to see evidence not speculation or debates about the likelihood of which is least likely.
Depends on the stores suppliers

Considering she has been charged with multiple attempts on her ex husband let alone that fateful lunch what makes you believe there isn’t Evidence that won’t be presented at trial?

I'm really late to this macabre dinner party, but do we have any sense of the actual evidence against her? Internet searches, purchases?

History is obviously going to be a factor here.
JMO
If you just look at the big picture, it seems very suspicious.

She is going through an upcoming divorce after a long separation. She has to square away a few legal issues with her ex----

One being the legal custody arrangements of their 2 children.

And the other being the potential division of properties as she owns a few homes. She received an inheritance but it will still have to be sorted out which is hers and which is community property.

Her in-laws were coming to her home to mediate and negotiate some of the divorce issues with her. Her ex decided at the last minute not to attend the lunch meeting. So some might think the toxins were originally intended for him, as the Beef Wellington would have been prepared before he cancelled his visit.

She and her 4 victims were very different in terms of their beliefs. She was a proud atheist and thought that religious people were not very intelligent. Her victims were devoutly religious and probably wanted to convince her to allow the children to spend more time with them. And their father, probably.

There is often a lot of deep seated anger and resentment from a divorce. We don't know if there was in this case or not. But there could have been. Especially because her ex immediately accused her of killing his family and also accused her of poisoning him previously.

So it does seem to set up some possible motives because of the divorce situation.

The other suspicious factor is that there were 8 potential victims of the death cap meal----and only 4 of them were deathly ill

The cook, her 2 children and the family dog escaped any dire results. But her 4 guests were not so lucky. That is pretty suspicious right there. And her excuses make no sense.

She said that she fed her kids some of the beef wellington but she scraped the mushrooms off first. THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE---all reports have said that even if you took off the mushrooms, the rest of the meal would be highly toxic because it pervades all of the meal during cooking.

So that seems to be untrue, as her kids would have been very ill if not dead if it was a true statement. And I also believe she would have fed her big beautiful Labrador some beef scrapings from the meal. Unless of course she knew it was tainted.

So IMO< she had some possible motives because of the pending divorce.
And it was suspicious that the only victims from the cooked meal were her guests, who were siding with her ex-husband.

But some of the most suspicious things were the way she acted afterwards and her statements. Her videos remind me of people like Chris Watts, where you watch their initial statements about their missing spouse and you immediately have hair standing up on back of your neck.

And then the later statement, awkwardly released by her attorney, where she gives a weird explanation of how she acquired the mushrooms she used, and why she lied to police about when and why she tossed out the dehydrator. Big red flags there.

When you just look at the big picture, lots of red flags waving all around, IMO. I don't know what evidence they have at this point, in terms of autopsies, test results, interviews, call logs, computers, etc.

Just an idea but what if she insists she really did purchase some mushrooms at an 'asian store' and they must have been toxic somehow? Can LE prove beyond all reasonable doubt that something didn't go wrong somehow?
It's hard to believe that she happened to buy some deadly mushrooms in an Asian market and no one else ever reported being sick from them.

And she supposedly bought them months earlier, just happened to use them when her in-laws were coming to eat, and no one else in the home but them suffered the consequences.

I get the impression that despite all the circumstantial evidence, the police lack a smoking gun and were hoping that this latest search of the house would uncover something.
I get the impression that they waited this long for an arrest because it took this long to get the necessary evidence, which they now have. They went pretty heavy on the charges, adding in her previous attempted poisonings on SP as well. JMO

From the SMH -- not pay-walled at the moment:

The court heard that police would need extra time to prepare their case because they needed to analyse computer material seized during a search of Patterson’s Leongatha home on Thursday.

. . .

Patterson was remanded to reappear in court in May.

[Magistrate] Walsh noted the large media contingent in his courtroom, before reminding Patterson that he did not have the power to hear bail hearings for people accused of murder. The Supreme Court would need to hear such an application at a later date.

MAY? Wooooowwwww!

The police stayed in her Leongatha home for six hours before taking her to the police station at nearby Wonthaggi.

Patterson did not sign the statement she gave to police and which was released to the media in August. Investigators will have to corroborate its contents nevertheless.
The township of Korumburra southeast of Melbourne. Picture: Ian Currie

The township of Korumburra southeast of Melbourne.

Poisonings hold a ghastly fascination that date back to Ancient Greece.

Deliciously diabolical, they command a unique gallows humour that can seem so at odds with their murderous intent.

Victims boast no clues to the doom that they themselves, unwittingly, propel by the most automatic of functions. Sipping a cup of tea. Nibbling on a biscuit.

Many observers are poised to add beef wellington, a darling go-to concoction of the 1970s, to the list of lethal weapons. For this case, if prosecuted, invites the mystery of Azaria Chamberlain and the bald claims of innocence from Mary Mallon, known for posterity as Typhoid Mary.
Cute town, and look at those beautiful hills beyond.

I'd like to know how they know it was hidden.
I have stuff packed away in all kinds of places, all kinds of technology, old phones, laptops, drives etc.
Just because they're not out on a desk or shelf doesn't automatically mean they are hidden.
Some of my old stuff even used to be in a shed, and an old house.
Good point. The news coverage of the raid on her property mentions a great deal of attention being directed towards searching an old couch/recliner on the back veranda and some bushes nearby. If these were altered on by the technology detection dogs as one article stated and were used to conceal electronic devices, then this clearly crosses the line between ‘put away somewhere out of the way’ and ‘hidden’.

Unfortunately our media are often so careless or imprecise in their reporting so it is impossible to draw firm conclusions until the evidence is aired in court, should Erin not take an early plea deal.

Last edited:
Just an idea but what if she insists she really did purchase some mushrooms at an 'asian store' and they must have been toxic somehow? Can LE prove beyond all reasonable doubt that something didn't go wrong somehow?
JMO I’m just guessing that the results of the tests on the dehydrator have come back with a positive for death cap spores. The timing of EP’s arrest may very well have coincided with those results.

That would strongly point to EP foraging the mushrooms and even more damaging, evaporating them and storing them until she was ready to use them to poison her relatives. Well, at least her former in laws as sadly, I believe that Ian and Heather were simply collateral damage because they attended the lunch.

Of course a jury will have to weigh the evidence and decide if she’s telling the truth but IMO LE also has additional evidence that flies in the face of her claims. IOW more than just spores.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything is uncovered from the tech search.

In any case it’s hard to lose sight of the horrific death caused by ingesting the mushrooms. How could this have been done to a woman who EP said was like a second mother to her? She herself said these people never did anything to her.

All MOO

Is it possible she was doing dumb things on purpose so it seemed more genuine or she'd look like a poor ( but innocent) bumbling idiot to wider australia.....
Hmm. IMO I don't think it can necessarily be assumed that EP is "dumb" or did "dumb things". Maybe - maybe not. The trial has not even commenced yet. Time will tell. (Just sayin'). MOO

I am not surprised EP was arrested. I'm surprised it happened so soon following the last presser. Perhaps anything they find at the resident's property will only serve to augment the evidence against EP.

One of the articles posted yesterday stated SP is concentrating on his children and their stability. I am thrilled they are able to see their father even though he's apparently left his home. I wish them the best and hope they can recover adequately from this terrible trauma. It'll be a while, maybe even a lifetime of counseling. Criminals don't think about the trail of tears they leave when committing unspeakable crimes.

Innocent guests attended a meal where they thought the hostess wanted them. She did. She wanted to allegedly kill them. Since SP did not attend, if he was an intended target, she could have called the others and said she ruined the beef wellington so a meal couldn't be served but that didn't happen. Evidently, she was so deep into an evil plan, she refused to turn away from allegedly poisoning them.

3 counts of murder and 5 counts of attempted murder -- Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966