Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the mushrooms. It's more likely that it's just a terrible mistake.

Anyway LE have said the cause of death hasn't been attributed to mushrooms yet.

I saw a video awhile ago, but couldn't bring myself to post it here.

It was the daughter in law and the press went after her like a pack of ravenous dogs :(

She was all alone, I felt so sorry for her.

Again re mushrooms. This wild harvesting has really become a thing. It's become trendy to forage for edible stuff.

I actually got very sick once from supermarket bought mushrooms.

I had a night from hell.

I haven't been game to eat them since then.

'

For everyone saying it is widely known not to eat wild mushrooms I can vividly remember a well known regional restaurant proclaiming they serve freshly picked wild mushrooms!.
Most of the "specialty" restaurants offer wild-picked mushrooms that are sourced from well-known pickers/providers... "experts" if you will.

Morel mushrooms are one variety that are only available in the wild, for instance.

People all over the world have been picking wild mushrooms, for centuries.
Those people have become expert in knowing which ones are safe to eat.

It's rare that you hear about people eating the wrong ones.

There was a case a couple of years ago here of some people from Asia who picked what they thought were the same ones back home that were safe to eat.

It turned out it was our death cap poisonous ones. :(

Picking wild mushrooms is safe if you know what you're doing.

Is this correct? I heard this on TV today.

There were seven people at the lunch. Three are dead and the fourth (who is a Minister) is struggling for his life. They were two married couples related to the cook - the in-laws and the mother-in-law's sister and her husband.

The other three people are the host/cook and her two children. The host is divorced from their son but they remain on friendly terms. So why wasn't their son at the lunch?

Police added that mushrooms may not have been the cause of death. So was something added to the food that the two couples ate? IMO it seems strange that she and her children are still alive and the others aren't even though they are younger. Did the host and her children also go to hospital? Were the mushrooms supposed to be blamed for the cause of death but, in fact, it was something else?

All IMO

There were seven people at the lunch. Three are dead and the fourth (who is a Minister) is struggling for his life. They were two married couples related to the cook - the in-laws and the mother-in-law's sister and her husband.

The other three people are the host/cook and her two children. The host is divorced from their son but they remain on friendly terms. So why wasn't their son at the lunch?

Police added that mushrooms may not have been the cause of death. So was something added to the food that the two couples ate? IMO it seems strange that she and her children are still alive and the others aren't even though they are younger. Did the host and her children also go to hospital? Were the mushrooms supposed to be blamed for the cause of death but, in fact, it was something else?

All IMO
The mushrooms might have been in the form of a sauce which some diners added to their steak (for example) and others didn't. I don't know, has it been said that the mushrooms were the main part of the meal?

All IMO
Very strange indeed that the host apparently didn’t ingest the poisoned food, hence the police, probe I’d say.

The toxins in those mushrooms (if that is the source, which I’d say it is since they are very specific to mushrooms) are extremely potent, so she must not have had any at all. Which is weird. Wouldn’t you taste your own cooking to make sure it tastes okay? Even if it’s in a sauce that you don’t personally like, you’d give it a bit of a taste.

All IMO
I took it to mean that the ex-daughterinlaw remained on friendly terms with her ex-inlaws, not necessarily with her ex-husband. So I'm not surprised that he wasn't there. And I don't find it surprising that she maintains a friendly relationship with the ex-inlaws, as they presumably are her children's grandparents, and it is the right thing to do, IMO.

My take on mushrooms as being part of the meal is that it is unlikely that they were a dish on their own, but were included in a casserole, a quiche, or a salad. So it seems that the victims probably didn't eat a great deal of the mushrooms, and yet the effect was horrendous. If it wasn't the mushrooms to blame, it is difficult (for me, anyway) to understand what else it could have been - any unusual ingredients would have been easily noticed, you would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper