GUILTY Australia - Aiia Masarwe, 21, Israeli exchange student, murdered, Melbourne, Jan 2019 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Statistically there has only been 3 rape/murder crimes in Vic in the past 6 or so years, and 3 terror related incidents. African gang related crime has been almost a weekly occurrence, sometimes they will hit many houses in a single night. But yes, let's pretend it's insignificant until it happens to you and your family. I'm done with this convo, can we please get back on topic?

Sorry to sound stupid but stats for what in particular?
I have to say, I never felt unsafe when I was travelling around and working in London.
It's been a surprise to me reading on this site about how unsafe people feel in Australia. It's just not how I imagined it to be there and I think it would surprise a lot of people.

Yep, like my post says I never felt unsafe in London... By stats I mean there would probably be more creeps/rapes/murders etc.(and I haven't researched it, this is just a generalisation based on population).

Part of the problem with feeling unsafe here in Australia is probably because the lower population equates to quieter, darker streets, less people around. I always felt like I was near a house or shop in London, always felt like safety was nearby. And partly because the courts are ridiculous and generally put the rights of the criminal above the victim.

I don't know the statistics for rape/murder, but in Victoria in 2017 alone there were recorded 6,024 sexual assaults compared to 2,081 robberies. 4510.0 - Recorded Crime - Victims, Australia, 2017

I do think it's on topic, up to a point--public safety and our perceptions thereof.

These days it's much easier to recover stolen items. Plus there's insurance to cover your home contents. You can't become un-sexually assaulted or un-killed. It's still a violation of your space and psychologically it messes with you, but yeah ... the two can't really be compared.

The thought of being robbed doesn't really make me feel unsafe. I don't know if the thought of being robbed makes people feel terribly unsafe. It's the threat of violent i'm guessing most people fear?

I don't know the statistics for rape/murder, but in Victoria in 2017 alone there were recorded 6,024 sexual assaults compared to 2,081 robberies. 4510.0 - Recorded Crime - Victims, Australia, 2017

I do think it's on topic, up to a point--public safety and our perceptions thereof.

And that’s just the reported sexual assaults, the majority go unreported.

For those who haven't had, and may never have the experience of the 86 tram, this video is a record of a typical ride out from Docklands to Bundoora, where this crime took place.

Naturally, it comes complete with it's own residential idiot , who attempts to run the tram at high volume for quite a considerable time, underlining the endless tolerance of the general public, in Melbourne.

At 20.58 is where she got on the tram, and at 1.28.10 is , I think, where she got off.

Last edited:
For those who haven't had, and may never have the experience of the 86 tram, this video is a record of a typical ride out from Docklands to Bundoora, where this crime took place.

RSBM O/T but I am surprised at how everytime I skipped forward, the tram was stopped either because of jaywalkers or a red light until it seems to leave downtown. Thanks for digging these up - it helps to see how the area she got off is much more open and "suburban" than I originally envisioned.

Victoria’s Police Minister has announced changes to the way officers patrol public transport at night in the wake of Aiia Maasarwe’s murder.
Police Minister Lisa Neville confirmed 100 Protective Services Officers will be deployed across Melbourne trams to ensure commuters can travel safely at all hours of the day and night.

The change follows the murder of Ms Maasarwe, who was killed after leaving the no. 86 tram from Docklands to Bundoora, in Melbourne’s north, last Wednesday.

Public transport gets security increase after Aiia Maasarwe’s death

The problem is when people get off the tram.

The Age reports that PSO’s will continue patrolling trams after their two-week rollout to coincide with the Australian Open tennis tournament.

“They will look at those high-use trams, where they’ve got intelligence on issues on particular trams … to deploy when and where they need them,” Ms Neville said.

Victoria Police’s Crime Prevention and Community Safety page recommends people travelling on public transport, particularly at night, should plan their journey, make sure they’re seen and choose a clear, well lit walking path to and from the station or tram stop.
Public transport gets security increase after Aiia Maasarwe’s death

These days it's much easier to recover stolen items. Plus there's insurance to cover your home contents. You can't become un-sexually assaulted or un-killed. It's still a violation of your space and psychologically it messes with you, but yeah ... the two can't really be compared.

The thought of being robbed doesn't really make me feel unsafe. I don't know if the thought of being robbed makes people feel terribly unsafe. It's the threat of violent i'm guessing most people fear?
A robbery is a theft involving violence or threat of violence; not the same as a burglary. I've been burgled, my bedroom window was forced, but I wasn't home and it seemed the thief waited to be sure no one was home. That didn't make me feel unsafe. But a break-in while I was home, that would scare me.

RSBM O/T but I am surprised at how everytime I skipped forward, the tram was stopped either because of jaywalkers or a red light until it seems to leave downtown. Thanks for digging these up - it helps to see how the area she got off is much more open and "suburban" than I originally envisioned.
Trams can't brake suddenly--or veer off course. One doesn't jaywalk immediately in front of a moving tram. I think you saw the tram stopping at traffic lights and people crossing on the walk signal. They would have been boarding and unboarding at those stops too--the boarding places are quite close together. Depending on the time of day and how far you are going, it can be quicker to walk. Trams feel safer than trains for several reasons, one of them being that the routes are down the middle of main roads.

A robbery is a theft involving violence or threat of violence; not the same as a burglary. I've been burgled, my bedroom window was forced, but I wasn't home and it seemed the thief waited to be sure no one was home. That didn't make me feel unsafe. But a break-in while I was home, that would scare me.

Yep, these people don't wait til the occupants go out, they break in violently while the people are home, brandishing machetes, baseball bats and sometimes even a gun and beat the people up to near death just to take their phones and whatever cash they can get.

Trams can't brake suddenly--or veer off course. One doesn't jaywalk immediately in front of a moving tram. I think you saw the tram stopping at traffic lights and people crossing on the walk signal. They would have been boarding and unboarding at those stops too--the boarding places are quite close together. Depending on the time of day and how far you are going, it can be quicker to walk. Trams feel safer than trains for several reasons, one of them being that the routes are down the middle of main roads.

And the driver is much more accessible

For anyone in Melbourne I went to a self defence class in Thomastown (near Bundoora) it is called Pro Active Self Defence they offer free classes and paid courses in self defence it was very helpful.

One thing he mentioned was our body language when out. Predators look for "vulnerable" people to attack. And regardless of how aware you are, if the're on drugs, alcohol there is not going to be a lot you can do to stop what they have planned unless you are able to escape by running away.
Unfortunately if you're consumed in your phone, not much chance of noticing someone stalking you or about to pounce.

I recommend these classes for anyone wanting to educate themselves or their sons/daughters in their own safety in public places or for people suffering domestic violence in the home.

For anyone in Melbourne I went to a self defence class in Thomastown (near Bundoora) it is called Pro Active Self Defence they offer free classes and paid courses in self defence it was very helpful.

One thing he mentioned was our body language when out. Predators look for "vulnerable" people to attack. And regardless of how aware you are, if the're on drugs, alcohol there is not going to be a lot you can do to stop what they have planned unless you are able to escape by running away.
Unfortunately if you're consumed in your phone, not much chance of noticing someone stalking you or about to pounce.

I recommend these classes for anyone wanting to educate themselves or their sons/daughters in their own safety in public places or for people suffering domestic violence in the home.

Absolutely! I think a really good exercise for women is to watch other women when they're out, especially at night, and you can see the difference body language and how they act in public. When you watch women and see them the way a predator may seem them it's really startling. It's a bit of a wake up call actually because we're so used to see other women from our own perspective, not how a rapist or murderer would see them: as targets.

I've done a lot of defence training and boxing and i still think there's no way i'd be able to defend myself if a guy wanted to do harm to me (unless i managed to break free and make a run for it, which is the ideal and most recommended thing to do) but i have definitely noticed a change in my demeanor, body language and vibe i give out.

Yep, these people don't wait til the occupants go out, they break in violently while the people are home, brandishing machetes, baseball bats and sometimes even a gun and beat the people up to near death just to take their phones and whatever cash they can get.

....and do that to an 86 year old in a heartbeat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw
Back