Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, does this mean that the computers may have evidence, but the cars don't because they've been released?

Not necessarily. though as has been stated Believe there was relevant info on the computers. Have no idea on the cars. But its interesting. They would not necessarily have to keep the cars. But I guess we'll find out eventually.

My understanding is that IT forensics is a very slow process compared to analysing the cars.

No it's not but, I'm sure you'll find words to dispute that.

Believe me, I know - if it's worth anything ;)

I agree: Reporters usually have ample opportunity to interview other sources. But in this case, we haven't seen those stories - yet. That's not, of course, to say those interviews have not taken place, as you would know. I made an earlier post in Thread 12 about how the pressure is always enormous in situations where no one has yet done the bolt from the pack (what with all those itchy trigger fingers :D), but the stamina has been admirable.

I find the forums that discuss cases such as this to be equally fascinating and concerning. There are a whole range of issues that arise, from legal issues relevant to Australia, ethical issues regarding the role of ordinary people who now have capacity to publish, and the roles and responsibilities of media when the public are completely absorbed by a case and demanding new information, constantly.

Cheers (IMO)

Yes, there have been a few discussions about defamation in previous threads but I feel that's not a priority for some. Perhaps a little more knowledge about the law wouldn't go astray... Actually, I'm quite interested to see what will happen when/if charges are laid and criminal proceedings have officially commenced. It seems we have learned nothing from the warnings about online discussion in the Morcombe case. A few of us are also closely examining the very public online element of a case such as this, as I think "Trial by Social Media" is becoming a huge challenge, both legally and ethically. Still, it's an interesting time to be at the coalface ;)

Professionally, I really believe that people working on such cases should not discuss them with their spouses/ partners...and if they happen to leak something by mistake the spouse/ partner should respect the confidential nature of the work and not repeat it. Again....should all be part of basic police training and who knows police may even have oaths they make about such things.

Glad to hear Unfolding Truth that you honored the work of your special person by not repeating what they let slip. In doing that, you honored not only your partner/ spouse but also Allison and the work for justice in this case.

I agree with you about the treatment of info that has come through friends of friends and local gossip. The only info that I take much notice of like this is when someone is giving a first hand account...eg.. " I saw GBC at.... " etc.

These are just my opinions and feelings about this issue.

Thank you. I have to clarify it is not my partner/husband, I was referring to. WHile it is true that it is imperitive to a case like this that info is not leaked to the general public, it is also almost impossible to think that a detective or investigating officer would never ever in the course of their career confide anything about their work to a spouse. As Someone else here mentioned(stupidtree?), it is necessary sometimes for them to have an outlet when they deal with what they do. i am certainly not saying they would just discuss all the nitty gritty or 'blab' about anything and everything or to anyone. But they are human and at times are dealing with some pretty unimaginable stuff that can eat them up sometimes. One would think most if not all partners have enough respect and honour for their spouse that they would not be blabbing to the whole world what they have been told in confidence.

Another thing I would like to add and I apologise if it's already been mentioned. Allison apparently had her hair coloured on Thursday night, 19th April. Prior to her death strands of her hair would most likely have been in her car and elsewhere. But after having it coloured (as was mentioned) those hair strands would be a different colour and if these newly coloured strands of hair turned up in unexplained places (accomplices clothing, car etc.) it would be very telling and of great help to the investigation. MOO.

Another thing I would like to add and I apologise if it's already been mentioned. Allison apparently had her hair coloured on Thursday night, 19th April. Prior to her death strands of her hair would most likely have been in her car and elsewhere. But after having it coloured (as was mentioned) those hair strands would be a different colour and if these newly coloured strands of hair turned up in unexplained places (accomplices clothing, car etc.) it would be very telling and of great help to the investigation. MOO.

Is it certain she had her hair coloured? Just asking as I saw someone mention previously, but did not hear that officially or from the person who knows the hairdresser.

I usually know which case it is because I see him on TV lol. The reason I am silent on these matters is his job security and our families safety. (Some ppl can be very dangerous) also alot of what I am told is quiet unsavoury. Names aren't usually involved in our conversations and alot of his work is done prior to the case becoming high profile. Most cases. (excepting murder) become high profile at the time of arrest. I think it is normal for the police to talk to their families about work. I can see your point about info being leaked though and it would be terrible if it caused issues in the investigation or trial.

I do agree again. :) There can definitely be safety issues.

Allison Baden-Clay murder investigation hampered by lengthy delays in forensic testing

LENGTHY delays in forensic test results are compromising police investigations, prompting a push for better resources and a cut in red tape.
As family and friends of Allison Baden-Clay still await details of her murder and the cause of death, the State Government says it will look at ways of fast-tracking the process.

Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said yesterday they were yet to receive toxicology results following the post-mortem examination of the 43-year-old mother of three.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/all...ng/story-e6frfkwr-1226367500066#ixzz1vtRlP5he

So it all boils down to the God Almighty dollar??

Aerial view indicates that it would have underground or undercover parking. Also no residential ppty nearby.

Less chance of being seen loading a body in your underground carpark than near stickybeak neighbours at home.

You can easily see in all the carparks from Sylvan Road (well half of it driving past) and the places on York street would have a nice view of all the car parks across the railway lines. It's all open and those railway lines are maybe 10 metres lower than the buildings.

Yes, there have been a few discussions about defamation in previous threads but I feel that's not a priority for some. Perhaps a little more knowledge about the law wouldn't go astray... Actually, I'm quite interested to see what will happen when/if charges are laid and criminal proceedings have officially commenced. It seems we have learned nothing from the warnings about online discussion in the Morcombe case. A few of us are also closely examining the very public online element of a case such as this, as I think "Trial by Social Media" is becoming a huge challenge, both legally and ethically. Still, it's an interesting time to be at the coalface ;)

I did notice what some might consider a cavalier approach to the discussions about defamation specific to this case - as you say, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm interested you raised the reaction to social media involvement in the Morcombe case. I've been castigated for not providing links (and IMOs) regarding posts so will put this one out there - the topic is specific, but the spirit of it covers what we're talking about here: http://journlaw.com/2011/08/16/why-...facebook-and-twitter-about-the-morcombe-case/

I'm trying to find the link to the story about jury pools diminishing due to the scope of modern media, but I can't locate it at the moment (will post it when I find it)! Because this murder case is now so high-profile, it's going to interesting to watch how this aspect is managed.

Like you, I'll be fascinated to watch this case (and the reporting of it) unfold once the sub judice period starts. I think, however, we're set for a long wait, especially considering the CM's most recent story, which was kindly provided by other users.

Cheers (IMO)

I don't know about bruises on the chest (any truly factual info on this???) - but there sure have been a lot of postings about scratches / red welts on the arms / right cheek / red marks above the wrists, etc. I wonder if anyone has ever considered that GBC might suffer from allergies?! Or perhaps from a case of extreme anxiety??

Twitter-
Baden-Clay forensics held up by backlog: LENGTHY delays in forensic test results are stunting police investigation. : (

Another thing I'm wondering about is bruising on his chest.
I've heard it stated a LOT here. Does anyone have a link handy from a news report where it is stated as fact?

Sorry I had a quick look, couldn't find anything, but people trying to blow up photos of GBC to find injuries.

The reason I'm wondering is because I was thinking about someone leaning over that guardrail on the bridge. That guardrail looks high enough to hit your chest if you're leaning over it, I also imagine a slip while leaning over would leave a nasty graze, as well as a bruise. Those things are nasty, motorcyclists are often lose limbs and sometimes heads hitting them.

I dont know for sure he has bruises, injuries to his chest, this is just my opinion until it's proven as fact he does. I'm working on the assumption I've seen a lot of postings about it (but am yet to see a news link)

A good reason to run into a pole at low speed in a pathetic attempt to cover up injuries. As well as an excuse not to attend the police station for an interview.

I'd also like links on the severed hand and chains if anyone has them handy, because I can't find it stated as fact ANYWHERE.
Ditto the 'red welts" on arms / above wrists, etc. Might just be allergies!

Sorry, I disagree. I'm married to a detective. Cases like these that he has worked on are really distrubing. My hubby doesn't come home and blurt everything about his day but he does tell me things. He, like alot of his mates I know need an outlet. I don't repeat anything he tells me though because it's not worth his job or the safety of our family (in some cases). Police are human too, they're not robots or in a secret division of the govt where they lead secret double lives. They don't have 24/7 coinselling available if the want to just chat about their day. They don't undergo rigorous psychological training to hold everything in and have no emotion. Personally I could not do his job. Dealing with the absolute scum of the earth and helping their traumatized victims.

Moo, IMHO, IMO whatever.

I'm so with you here. My husband is a retired senior sergeant (in another state) and during his 20 year career he would discuss many things with me. He needed that outlet and knew that I would never repeat anything that he told me in confidence. There were also things that he could not discuss with me and I respected that. I could write a book or two on what he's told me but out of respect for him I would never divulge a word. A colleague of my husband could not tell his wife anything because she would blab to all who would listen, mainly just to big note herself and what she knew. No respect for her husband whatsoever. I always felt very sad for him.

I love your posts WI...look forward to them.

I've watched a lot of reporters interview and I find that they don't really become pushy until they strike a nerve with their subject. The interview between Matt Lauer and Tom Cruise comes to mind. The one on Scientology.

I watched an interview done by another American reporter last night about a woman who shot her husband. The woman and interviewer seemed quite normal until the woman (accused murder) reacted badly to approx the fifth question. Then the interviewer become condescending, arguementive and accusing. You could tell they had then gone back and edited the whole interview to make it look like she was guilty from the start.

Sorry True, I had missed this post until now. In light of the discussions about journalists and interviewing techniques on this forum tonight, I think you (and other users) closely watching the media may also be interested to see the dynamic of another interview with Tom Cruise, done by Australian "60 Minutes". http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/stories/peteroverton/259294/cruise-control

I hope this is not too off-topic for the mods; my apologies if this is so.

Cheers (IMO)

Two things aren't measuring up regarding the possibility that GBC crashed the car on purpose. Firstly and I have said this before, WHY Indooroopilly of all places?? He could just do this closer to home especially considering he was already in the lime light! The ONLY reason I can think of that he would do this deliberately is so that he gets a little public sympathy, maybe he was hoping for a bigger injury or will later claim compo for an injured back or knees?? Secondly, if he crashed it to cover up any bruises or marks then they would have been shown to be inconsistent with the car crash injuries. Something doesn't add up for me...

Also I've been thinking of THAT interview with Olivia and his strange demeanor. Let's say he was a man totally out of love with his wife, maybe he had even progressed to disliking her.... WHO KNOWS?? Could that possibly be a reason to come across as such a terrible actor?? Knowing that he has to somehow challenge his inner soft side but struggling to feel genuinely sad?? THis doesn't necessarily point to being guilty IYKWIM and I'm not saying he isn't guilty but just trying to offer a different perspective. MOO!
Brave you! I too have attempted to offer a different scenario (for the sake of balance), only to be shot down by someone totally INDIGNANT that ANYONE might 'rush to the defence of GBD"!!

I think with any kind of media that the journalist, like any person, will make an interpretation based on their interview or observation and then write or speak in response to their interpretation. In the end, it may come out differently to what the person interviewed thought it would.......and also the people responding to the journalism may understand it in a different way again. With each transaction (interviewee - journalist - public) the interpretation of the story can change slightly like Chinese Whispers.

I completely respect your viewpoint, but would also point out that journalists have usually experienced years of having objectivity, fairness and balance, the right of reply, and the like drummed into them.

This is a link from the Victims of Crime website, which helps provide grieving and vulnerable people with information on how to deal with the media. Right at the end of the page, you will see the Australian Journalism Association's Code of Ethics (yes! there is actually one, believe it or not :) ). http://www.qhvsg.org.au/handling_the_media.php

Just thought it may be of interest.

Cheers
IMO (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads