Still Missing Australia - Amber Haigh, 19, still missing, NSW, 5 June 2002 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Morrisa

Reaction score
Couple charged with murder 20 years after young mum Amber Haigh vanished

A married couple has been charged with murdering young mother Amber Haigh, who disappeared from regional New South Wales 20 years ago and whose body has never been found.

The couple, Robert Samuel Geeves and Anne Margaret Geeves, both aged 61, were arrested at a property at Harden, in Central West NSW, this morning.

This is the same man as is accused of murdering Amber Haigh.
===========================================

12 Dec, 2003 08:23 AM - Cowra Guardian

A Harden man accused of murdering his pregnant girlfriend a decade ago was released on bail at Cowra Local Court on Wednesday after reinvestigations resulted in a fresh murder charge.

Forty-three-year-old Robert Samuel Geeves of Huntleigh Rd, Harden was first charged with murder after Janelle Goodwin received a fatal gun shot wound to the head on June 20, 1993 at his property near Wombat.

He was discharged at the committal hearing stage in 1993, however a police reinvestigation occurred in which new evidence from experts and witnesses came to light.
=================================

August 18, 2007 - 11:44AM - The Age

NSW police are hoping a $100,000 reward will help solve a five-year-old mystery surrounding the disappearance and suspected death of a young woman.

NSW Police Minister David Campbell said the reward could lead to finding or solving the case surrounding Amber Haigh who disappeared when she was 19.

================================

Author: Eamonn Duff eduff@fairfaxmedia.com.au
Date: 06/12/2009

One woman is dead and one woman is missing.

Something bad - something awful - has happened here.

Even the police are predicting "a story to unfold like no other".

The story involves Janelle Goodwin, a pregnant 29-year-old who was shot in the head.

Another central character is orchard worker Robert Geeves, who admits dumping her naked body in a wheelbarrow.

Amber never knew Janelle Goodwin. They met their fates almost a decade apart, but they do have place and one person in common - the bed of Harden shire orchard worker Robert Geeves.

Ms Goodwin was first. At the age of 29, and pregnant to Mr Geeves, her body was discovered in a barrow beneath a tarp inside a shearing shed behind his Kingsvale farmhouse on June 21, 1993.

She was naked, tied from ankles to throat, wrapped in bed sheets with a shopping bag over her head. She had been shot through the nose at close range with a .22 rifle.

Police were called a day after the shooting. Mr Geeves confessed to putting her body in the shed. They had been drinking. They argued, then struggled. The gun went off. He panicked. He cleaned the scene.

It was a terrible accident.

Mr Geeves was charged with murder, pleading not guilty. A magistrate discharged him in Cootamundra Local Court due to insufficient evidence. The ruling meant the case could be prosecuted in the future.

And it was. Police reapplied the heat after Mr Geeves and wife Anne contacted police on June 19, 2002, to report that Amber Haigh - another of his live-in lovers - had vanished in the night.

The resurrected investigation led to Mr Geeves being tried in the NSW Supreme Court over Ms Goodwin's death. Prosecutors were confident: they had ballistics advice and fresh witness statements. The trial took more than three years. Mr Geeves was found not guilty of murder. The jury members agreed: it was a terrible accident.

Ms Goodwin's death was not the first time Mr Geeves, now 49, had been acquitted of serious charges.

In 1986, two 13-year-old girls from nearby Young failed to return home from school. They were missing for more than a fortnight.

When they finally resurfaced, one filed a police statement alleging she had been kept prisoner in a wheat silo and was sexually assaulted by Mr Geeves. The other teenager contradicted the claims.

Again, he was cleared.

Amber has not touched her bank accounts since she went missing. She has never contacted relatives or friends. Not her parents. Not her baby boy.

Turns out Amber had also fallen pregnant to Mr Geeves. Royce was his son, although the boy is now in the custody of Amber's relatives.

==============================

Posted Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13pm AEDT

An inquest into the disappearance of a woman who was living near Young, in south-west New South Wales, is to be held almost eight years after she vanished.

============================

MEG PIGRAM - The Young Witness

14 Jul, 2010 10:32 AM

THE inquest into the disappearance of missing local girl Amber Michelle Haigh was heard in Glebe’s Coroners Court last Friday.

Cootamundra Local Area Command, crime co-ordinator Sergeant David Cockram said police applied for adjournment for a further four to six weeks to allow for the investigation to continue.

============================

Posted Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00pm AEST - ABC

An inquest has been set down for five days at Parramatta starting on June 20 next year before deputy state coroner Scott Mitchell.

===============================

Posted June 16, 2011 09:32:00 - ABC

A 9000 page brief will be presented to a coroner to next week to investigate the disappearance of a Kingsvale woman.

===============================

June 19, 2011 - SMH

Twice Robert Geeves moved young lovers into the farmhouse he shares with his wife. The first was found dead on his property. The second is missing, presumed dead. Tomorrow a coronial inquest into her disappearance aims to unravel the truth, writes Eamonn Duff.

AMBER HAIGH was a fun-loving 19-year-old who, because of an intellectual disability, witnessed life through the eyes of a child.

How she became the live-in lover of an orchard worker while his own wife lived alongside them is a mystery. How she vanished after giving birth to his child is another.

Today marks the ninth anniversary of Ms Haigh's disappearance and sets the stage for an emotionally charged coronial inquiry, which begins at Parramatta Local Court tomorrow.
Mr Geeves and his wife tried to retain custody of the son that Ms Haigh left behind. That bid was thwarted and the boy is being raised by Ms Haigh's relatives.

Her mother, Ms Wright, chooses not to dwell on Mr Geeves because, emotionally, she cannot afford to. But she does not believe her daughter ever made it to Campbelltown station.

''This is a very difficult time for myself and my family,'' she said in a statement. ''It will never be over for me until they find my daughter.''

by: Mitchell Nadin From: The Australian June 22, 2011

THE body of 19-year-old Amber Haigh was buried under a lemon tree somewhere in Kingsvale in southern NSW after she was murdered by her 40-year-old lover in June 2002, an inquest has heard.

Cindy Brown yesterday told Parramatta Local Court her nephew, Joel McCorkindale, had told her of rumours that Robert Geeves disposed of the woman's body only six months after she gave birth to his child.

Ms Brown also told the court Haigh confided in her and said she was "scared" of Mr Geeves in the months before her disappearance after he "tied her up with handcuffs and filmed himself having sex with her".
Paul Harding, who was Haigh's third cousin and ex-lover, told the court Mr Geeves "often had sex" with Haigh, and made a recording of it before watching the footage with his wife.

Mr Harding also said the conditions his cousin lived in on the farm were appalling and the Geeveses treated her badly.

"They wouldn't let her out of the house," Mr Harding said.

"She said that he had video cameras on her. When they finished, him and Anne used to watch the video."

Mr Harding said he had also impregnated Haigh but the pregnancy had been terminated.

by: Jodie Minus From: The Australian July 08, 2011
AMBER Haigh was most likely murdered and her body was possibly disposed of down a disused mine shaft by, a NSW coroner has found.

Robert Samuel Geeves and his wife Anne Margaret Geeves, both 51, refused to give evidence at an inquest into Ms Haigh's death at Young Court House, in the state's southwest.

Prior to delivering his findings today, Deputy State Coroner Scott Mitchell lifted a statutory prohibition order, which prevented the media from reporting on the couple's refusal to give evidence.

The couple had exercised their right to remain silent on the basis that their evidence could incriminate them, and they told the court they did not care if the media reported this fact.

==============================

The above are all from the same link, and there is more... what a tangled web!

Amber Michelle HAIGH

Do you know what happened to Amber? $1million reward for information about Aussie mum who mysteriously disappeared on a trip to the city to see her sick father in hospital

Published: 25 April 2022

Nearly 20 years after a young NSW mother went missing, police are offering a $1million reward for useful information about her suspicious disappearance.

Amber Haigh and her six-month-old son had been living in Kingsvale, a town in the South West Slopes region, with a married couple when she vanished on June 5, 2002.

$1 million reward for information to help find missing NSW young mum Amber Haigh | Daily Mail Online

It's hard to believe he has been able to get away with multiple accusations over the years.
God knows what else will surface.
A woman bound and gagged, bag over the head and shot up her nose was an ACCIDENT? :eek:

I followed this case back in 2017. I am sure I followed it here on WS. I don’t know where the old thread is. I can’t believe it has taken this long. I sincerely hope she receives justice. Janelle can’t receive justice, but how could they honestly believe she shot herself when she was bound the way she was?!!

Last edited:
Missing teen didn't want to give up baby

ONLY months before she disappeared without a trace, Amber Haigh told her family the father of her childwanted to use her as a surrogate mother, an inquest heard yesterday.

June 20, 2011 - 11:30PM
DailyTelegraph

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad...y/news-story/a6f1a69d216c44d98ac6a864a1b2f8ad

Included in this article ...

Amber had epilepsy and a slight intellectual disability that placed her mental age at between 10 and 13.

Amber's aunt said Amber told her she was being sexually abused, videotaped, tied to the bed, and that the couple wanted to take her baby away from her. The aunt said that before she disappeared, Amber made a will saying she wanted her aunt to care for her baby if anything happened to Amber.

In 2002, police found blood on a doona and patches on a carpet that were identified as blood by tracing chemicals - the blood was tested and the DNA showed it could have come from 'a descendent of RW (Amber's mother)'.

Amber's son was born in late 2001 ... so he would be 20 years old now. Was just a babe in arms when Amber disappeared.

Last edited:
This blows my mind - it's soooo disturbing.

I don't know what out rages me more the audacity of this guy/ couple or the fact that there has been no traction in building a case against him/them??

I struggle to believe that he has not done anything to anyone since 2002 ?? He seems to have a pattern.

This blows my mind - it's soooo disturbing.

I don't know what out rages me more the audacity of this guy/ couple or the fact that there has been no traction in building a case against him/them??

I struggle to believe that he has not done anything to anyone since 2002 ?? He seems to have a pattern.

I think you are right. At least about him having 'relationships' other than his wife since 2002.

At the end of this article from December 2009, locals told Eamonn Duff (the journo who wrote the article) that he should "go chat with a youngish lady in town about him".
When the journo approached the lady, she said ''He's a good man … what's it got to do with you?''

From the land of fear, loss and dark secrets

New article ......

The couple charged with murder over the 2002 disappearance of 19-year old Amber Haigh from regional New South Wales have been refused bail as the court hears of telephone intercepts referring to how the body would be hidden.

Other telephone intercepts referred to in court allegedly include Mr Geeves asking the co-accused not to "roll" on him and him saying that he did not want to go to jail.

Wire tap caught cold case murder accused discussing young mum's remains, court told

New article ......

The couple charged with murder over the 2002 disappearance of 19-year old Amber Haigh from regional New South Wales have been refused bail as the court hears of telephone intercepts referring to how the body would be hidden.

Other telephone intercepts referred to in court allegedly include Mr Geeves asking the co-accused not to "roll" on him and him saying that he did not want to go to jail.

Wire tap caught cold case murder accused discussing young mum's remains, court told
OMG! He purchased a chainsaw..from your article

The court heard police would tender evidence that Mr Geeves purchased a chainsaw shortly after the alleged offence, as well as telephone intercepts that included the words, "have you taken the rest of her up there?"

OMG! He purchased a chainsaw..from your article

The court heard police would tender evidence that Mr Geeves purchased a chainsaw shortly after the alleged offence, as well as telephone intercepts that included the words, "have you taken the rest of her up there?"
While I was reading that article I was thinking gosh, even with that evidence it has taken 20 years .......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back