Australia Australia - Chantelle, 27, and Leela McDougall, 6, Toni Popic, 40, Nannup, 13 July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://twitter.com/liamphillips/status/938946629712744448
Extract
Cult leader's multiple relationships

Mr Kadwell's former girlfriend Justine Smith testified on Wednesday that she lived in a house in Perth's western suburbs in the early 2000s with Mr Kadwell, Ms McDougall and another woman.

She said Mr Kadwell had intimate relationships with all three women before he and Ms McDougall moved out when she fell pregnant with Leela.

"Even when I was there I thought of it as a cult at times," Ms Smith said.

"We were discouraged to make contact with our own families."

Ms Smith said when she decided to leave the group, Mr Kadwell physically abused her.

"He came to my door when it was dark — he almost stalked me in a way — and forced his way in and held my arms above my head," she said.

"It didn't cause me harm but it showed me the potential he had for physical force."

She reported the incident to police but there was not enough evidence to proceed any further.

The inquest heard Mr Kadwell later emailed Ms Smith to apologise for his treatment of her, saying "dark forces" had been interfering with his mind.

She said she had to see a psychologist after the ordeal.

Ms Smith also provided insight into Mr Kadwell's beliefs.

"I know it's been referred to as a death cult, but it's not like you would force yourself to die," she said.

"A day would arrive where a sort of catharsis would happen and you'd be caught up in that and your soul would rise up to another dimension."

Brazil note a decoy

Ms Smith said she believes the "Gone to Brazil" note left behind at the couple's Nannup farmhouse was a decoy.

A cult mystery and a decade of dead ends

Expand

"I think it's more likely they would be hiding, based on how I knew them," she said.

"The only inkling I would have is that maybe they would go where there's someone from their group, or a place with positive spiritual energy."

She suggested Mr Kadwell may have feared somebody had discovered his true identity. He was born Gary Felton, but later adopted the identity of Simon Kadwell.

Ms Smith also recalled being surprised when Mr Kadwell's parents referred to him as "Gary" during a one-off dinner together.

"He had told me [after] that he had a friend at school, Simon, that had been adopted and he had taken on that name," she said.

Brainwashing claim

The inquest also heard from Elanor McKie, who had become friends with Ms McDougall at their daughters' playgroup in Nannup.

She believed Mr Kadwell had brainwashed Ms McDougall.

"It seemed like she would do anything he said," Ms McKie said.

"I just don't think they ever felt like they belonged in modern society. They couldn't wait not to be here."

Source (from the tweet above)>
Cult leader Simon Kadwell abused ex-girlfriend as she tried to leave, Nannup inquest hears http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-...-girlfriend-inquest-hears/9240016?pfmredir=sm via @abcnews

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

https://twitter.com/liamphillips/status/938946629712744448
Extract

Source (from the tweet above)>
Cult leader Simon Kadwell abused ex-girlfriend as she tried to leave, Nannup inquest hears http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-...-girlfriend-inquest-hears/9240016?pfmredir=sm via @abcnews

Ex- gf's testimony: That's when GarySimon and Chantelle were living in Floreat with his ex-wife Deborah (who must be the other woman), and Chantelle got pregnant with Leela. Tony moved in with them when they were at that house, before they moved to Nannup.

That shines some light on the aggressive phone call to the pet shop woman who bought the dogs. I wonder who the other woman was in 2007? Someone who liked to partake in his ayahuasca?

It would seem obvious that the WA Police investigation had either;
1) not given any consideration to any possibility beyond suicide or going into hiding,
Or
2) have completely discounted investigating the possibility of foul play.

However, until the police report to the coroner is released in full, it would be difficult to tell from the limited reports in MSM of the Coroner's proceedings if any serious investigation of other suspicious evidence looked at by websleuths community members upon this forum did actually occur or not. (Considering that a number of these were sent to WA crime stoppers).

Anyone got a reddit account?
Someone just posted in the last few minutes that they were at the Underground Backpackers on the days Popic was supposedly there.
I'd posted a link to a picture of Sir_Laughs_a_Lot to see if he saw him there.
Watching for response....
https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...en_years_ago_four_people_who_were_part_of_an/
ab53e4f9f299bf396c689915f925c2b3.jpg

This Mindcorrupt seems to of gone to some of the same places as Sir_Laughs_a_Lot in his history. I wonder if he knew him as soon as he saw the picture? Apparently Mindcorrupt never saw Popic nor Felton, so who was using Popic's name at the Underground Backpackers? Was it the bloke who's enemies become shark bait?

No word upon this :(

"Court documents reveal Walsh believed he had discovered something that gave him greater insight, spirituality and enlightenment while travelling in South America."

"Witness statements suggest Walsh tried the hallucinogen Ayahuasca, which is brewed as a bitter tea, while abroad and also regularly used it in Australia.
"There is a sense that Ayahuasca can be an experience that can deliver some sort of transcendental truth or some deeper sense of meaning, can put them in touch with a divine spirit."

"Those powerful emotions combined with this sort of visionary experiences could be interpreted as thinking about killing someone but that's in a visionary space, that's in a very altered state of consciousness."

"There are people around Australia who organise ceremonies in which up to 50 people might attend and drink Ayahuasca over the course of a night."

"These ceremonies are interpreted or run differently by different facilitators, some of whom have been working for decades in Australia and who draw influences from the churches as well as neoshamanic practices in indigenous traditions in South America."
"It's not a drug that lends itself to parties, you're sort of laid out physically at one level and often times not able to talk although you might be able to articulate sounds you might not be able to carry on a conversation so it really doesn't lend itself to social settings or parties."

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-28/what-is-hallucinogen-ayahuasca/7442714

So why is this POI who is a prolific forum user and banned multiple times on different sites never contributed to the Leela thread? That strikes me as extremely suspicious behavior given he lives at Nannup and had run ins with the missing person. I think clearly this is an issue for WAPOL. I hope they don't role their eyes when they hear his name. They need to kick him out of the tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not called at the inquest hearing :(

The note in the door said "gone to Brazil" but are they sure Chantelle wrote it ?
The mention of this drug Kadwell was dabbling with, to what extent im unsure,
Seems to fit in with this spiritual, off the planet guru and suicidal theme .
The family friend Popic may have been possibly connected or dabbled with Kadwell in the drugs use, ayahuasca, dmt, magic mushrooms etc ..Who knows?

Quotes from the article below :

"In some religious ceremonies including in Brazil, ayahuasca is taken by everyone who participates in the ceremony, and they sing and chant as they drift into a trance."

"First, it’s important to understand that ayahuasca vine on its own doesn’t necessarily have psychoactive characteristics, but when it’s combined with the Psychotria Viridis plant to create a tea, there is a psychedelic effect. This tea contains DMT, which is something with a structure similar to serotonin....Snip..

"People who have used it don’t feel like it’s the same as a trip they might get with LSD, however, and they describe it as more emotional and spiritual, as opposed to being recreational. Snip..

"For example, in the mid-1980s the religious use of ayahuasca was legalized in Brazil.

"People who visit ayahuasca retreats in the Amazon rainforest often go for the healing of both mental and physical illnesses, and there is a bit of information showing it may improve health.

"The use of ayahuasca tea has become so popular that an entire tourism industry has developed around it in South America, since one of the critical ingredients, DMT, is a Schedule I substance in the U.S. and is illegal in many other countries.

"Some people say they felt intense anxiety, paranoia, and fear, and it could bring up past traumas and be very unsettling for many people."

"The psychological ayahuasca side effects can stick around for up to weeks following someone taking the drug.

"Other side effects can include agitation, an increase in blood pressure, dilated pupils, chest pain, rapid movements of the eyes, and dizziness.

"Symptoms of serotonin syndrome can lead to headache, disorientation, agitation and high blood pressure. It can potentially be fatal as well.

"Other potentially deadly risks associated with ayahuasca and DMT include seizures, respiratory arrest, and coma. In people who have pre-existing mental disorders like schizophrenia, there can also be severe side effects when using ayahuasca."

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/ayahuasca-addiction/

Where are Kadwell's parents now?

I'm not for a suicide pact between them all. It's hard to hide your own body. I'm more for either they are living somewhere off the grid with unassuming names or the 3 were killed by Kadwell and he's off living with an unassuming name doing the same things over and over again.

It would seem obvious that the WA Police investigation had either;
1) not given any consideration to any possibility beyond suicide or going into hiding,
Or
2) have completely discounted investigating the possibility of foul play.

However, until the police report to the coroner is released in full, it would be difficult to tell from the limited reports in MSM of the Coroner's proceedings if any serious investigation of other suspicious evidence looked at by websleuths community members upon this forum did actually occur or not. (Considering that a number of these were sent to WA crime stoppers).

Like missing kids or adults who have 'runaway' before or gone missing a 3-day bender and returned, that label it can certainly be a kiss of death to investigation. In terms of high LE workload, i think those cases get put in the 'we can come back to this one when we have some extra time' file. MOO

Any other big cases were going on in WA in 2007? Just curious. Haley? Any blond-haired blue-eyed pretty young ladies? They certainly get lots of attention in the US. MOO

Thanks PD,
Great links.

Quote from the article :

"She believes Mr Kadwell was running from something in his past, possibly involving stealing money and the stolen UK identity, and he had a previous minor fraud conviction."
"She believed a note left at the Nannup farmhouse they disappeared from, which said they were moving to Brazil, was a deliberate "misdirection".

Video clip also here :
https://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/12/08/03/34/missing-cult-leader-alive-inquest-hears

Quote of the article linked below :

"My inclination at this stage is that there is simply insufficient evidence to find beyond reasonable doubt that everyone is dead," he said.

"It is difficult to exclude the possibility that somehow all of these people are living somewhere else under assumed names."

"He came to my door when it was dark — he almost stalked me in a way — and forced his way in and held my arms above my head," she said.

"It didn't cause me harm but it showed me the potential he had for physical force."

She reported the incident to police but there was not enough evidence to proceed any further.

The inquest heard Mr Kadwell later emailed Ms Smith to apologise for his treatment of her, saying "dark forces" had been interfering with his mind.
She said she had to see a psychologist after the ordeal.

"I think it's more likely they would be hiding, based on how I knew them," she said.
"The only inkling I would have is that maybe they would go where there's someone from their group, or a place with positive spiritual energy."

Police clinical psychologist Kris Giesen analysed the behaviour and personalities of each of the missing persons and told the inquest she believes they are all deceased.

Detective Senior Sergeant Gieson said it is most likely the trio followed through with a suicide pact of sorts in line with Simon Kadwell's spiritual beliefs to 'ascend' to the next dimension.

"I believe they did not travel far from Nannup and did not stay alive for very long," she said.

"Although police have done an extensive search, I just can't help but wonder that we've missed it.
"It seemed like she would do anything he said," Ms McKie said.

"I just don't think they ever felt like they belonged in modern society. They couldn't wait not to be here."

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9240016?__twitter_impression=true

Segments of the article in link below :

"The inquest presented Simon Kadwell, the self-styled cult leader with a following online, as a strange and controlling man who was on anti-psychotic medication.
In May 2007, traffic officers pulled him over and questioned his drivers licence identification after receiving a tip off that he was an imposter.
Police believe that may have caused him to panic and could have been the catalyst for the family's disappearance two months later.
Police also questioned why both Mr Kadwell and Ms McDougall would sell their cars if they were planning a suicide pact.
Mr Kadwell sold his car for $1500 without negotiation. Ms McDougall sold hers on the July 13, the day before she was last seen, and cashed the cheque at the bank.
She testified that she arranged with Ms McDougall to drive from Perth to Nannup on Sunday July 15 to pick up the dogs, but when she rang Ms McDougall the day before to get directions, Ms McDougall said, "No, you must come today."
Ms French drove down that afternoon and said Ms McDougall appeared anxious and eager to hurry her out.
Days later, the landlords of the farmhouse found two notes — one written by Mr Popic and one by Ms McDougall — saying the family had gone to Brazil.
The house was left spotless, the family had taken their clothing and personal belongings and the only food that was left behind was half a bowl of rice."

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9242376?__twitter_impression=true

From the same article :

The man on the train

"When police started wading through evidence to find potential clues into the family's disappearance they discovered a call was made from their Nannup home to TransWA on July 12 to book a bus ticket from Bridgetown to Northcliffe under the name "Jay Roberts."

The ticket was never used.

However, two train tickets booked under that name were redeemed on the morning of July 16 — one going from East Perth to Kalgoorlie, the other from Perth to Northcliffe.

It was established that a passenger under that name got off at Northcliffe, and someone boarded the train to Kalgoorlie, but there's no evidence they got to the final destination.

Mr Popic's mobile phone was traced to Perth on July 15. It was used to call backpackers accommodation, Dominos Pizza and gay bar the Court Hotel.

His drivers licence was also used to check in to a hostel in Northbridge.

Police have not ruled anything out, but say it is likely they were Mr Popic's movements, because the Dominos delivery driver later identified him as the one he delivered a pizza to in Kings Park.

Mr Popic was also gay, so the phone call to the Court Hotel provided a vital clue.

On July 16, his phone was used to call TransWA.

To this day, it has not been established why Mr Popic would try to conceal his identity to catch public transport, or what happened to him after July 16."

ABC news :

The caravan park and the smell of death

"Senior Sergeant Gregory Balfour told the inquest there were several reported sightings of the family after July 2007 that were not followed up during the initial investigation.

Three months after Ms McDougall disappeared, prison workers also reported finding a woman's T-shirt along with the smell of "dead flesh" in bushland near Northcliffe.

However the report was not fully investigated until 2015, by which time bushfires had swept through the area.

In February 2011, someone by the name of Gary Felton checked into a caravan park in King River, near Albany.

Police attempted to locate every Gary Felton in the country, but none of the men said they had stayed there."

From the same article :

The man on the train

"When police started wading through evidence to find potential clues into the family's disappearance they discovered a call was made from their Nannup home to TransWA on July 12 to book a bus ticket from Bridgetown to Northcliffe under the name "Jay Roberts."

The ticket was never used.

However, two train tickets booked under that name were redeemed on the morning of July 16 — one going from East Perth to Kalgoorlie, the other from Perth to Northcliffe.

It was established that a passenger under that name got off at Northcliffe, and someone boarded the train to Kalgoorlie, but there's no evidence they got to the final destination.

Mr Popic's mobile phone was traced to Perth on July 15. It was used to call backpackers accommodation, Dominos Pizza and gay bar the Court Hotel.

His drivers licence was also used to check in to a hostel in Northbridge.

Police have not ruled anything out, but say it is likely they were Mr Popic's movements, because the Dominos delivery driver later identified him as the one he delivered a pizza to in Kings Park.

Mr Popic was also gay, so the phone call to the Court Hotel provided a vital clue.

On July 16, his phone was used to call TransWA.

To this day, it has not been established why Mr Popic would try to conceal his identity to catch public transport, or what happened to him after July 16."

The Pizza Guy has a vital clue IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member