Australia Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
besides blitz attacks, if you're wondering why 3 sane women would get into a car with a supposed stranger, read this webpage...[h=1]Top 10 Reasons Not to Go With Your Gut[/h]
  1. Crime victims never see it coming. I’ve yet to interview a crime victim who tells me, “I absolutely saw it coming ahead of time.” They may have a bad feeling, but they choose to ignore it. Or they had other sensations that told them everything would be okay. At best, their messages were mixed. At the worst, they completely misread the situations based on their feelings or lack of insight into people who posed a threat to them

http://maryellenotoole.com/2011/09/top-10-reasons-not-to-go-with-your-gut/
written by a FBI profiler

I think that’s a myth fostered by thrillers on tv.

They are definitely psychopaths, but I don’t see why they are intelligent.

BRE on its face looks like a pretty mediocre person, to me.

If you look at wikipedia, they say something about the ‘intelligence’ thing

Pretty sure Joe Detective noted this earlier, but I'm not sure why people seem to be keen to label BRE as either unintelligent or mediocre. Intelligence is measured across a number of domains, and while there is considered a 'general measure of intelligence', the different domains can certainly be mutually exclusive. It's not uncommon for people to be less strong in one area but particularly strong, even gifted in another. I think we've all met or known people who appear poor at basic every day things, self-care or commonsense, but are quite brilliant at other things, maybe music, art, maths etc. Some intelligent people can of course also be lazy, whether they're bored or things come easily to them, or they simply don't care about some areas of life as their attentions are taken by other things. I think it is misguided to assume any measure of intelligence based on BRE's modest home and yard, or longstanding employment alone, as it risks veering towards judgement. More generally, if we consider there are multiple domains of intelligence, so too are there different types of psychopathy. Psychopathy is essentially a particularly extreme end of the personality continuum within the Antisocial Personality domain, to be diagnosed with APD people usually have to meet the criteria for Conduct Disorder as a youth. These people are generally speaking risk takers, opportunistic, narcissistic, self-entitled and self-serving, and may seem to almost lack a fundamental moral centre, at the more extreme end they may even enjoy taking advantage of others and seek to do so. But they aren't necessarily violent, for instance they may be consistently fraudulent, although many are prone to anger or what has been described as a 'narcissistic rage' when challenged or denied what they want or feel entitled to. There's been research done into APD and psychopathy and it's been suggested that it may arise due to a fundamental absence or significant breach in attachment to a primary caregiver. When a child becomes upset and the mother picks it up and says 'there, there little one' and smiles lovingly into the child's eyes, the child feels safe and regulates its distress in accordance with the mother - they are 'attached'. We all have attachment styles, an internal model of our fundamental internalised rules and understanding about human interpersonal relationships, ranging anywhere from secure to insecure, based on our initial attachments to our primary caregivers. People with APD, or psychopaths, are thought to have not been attuned to well by their primary caregivers; left in the cot crying and having to soothe themselves rather than attuning and regulating through a loving mother and learning how to healthily self-regulate over time. As the brain is going through its key developmental stages these kinds of experiences and ruptures in attachment can leave people developing a 'flat affect' or lack of feeling, and a fundamental lack of empathy from others as they are unable to attune to the emotional states of others. This is why they often say 'monsters are not born, they are made', although there is bound to be genetic predispositions to this too. It is also noted that head injuries can be linked to antisocial behaviour, but that would likely be due to damage done to the prefrontal cortex where our reasoning and higher decision making is performed and would obviously be impaired. Needless to say, if you were to pair a fundamental lack of empathy with a tendency towards risk-taking behaviour, with an aberrant sexual development around sexual pleasure (*advertiser censored* at a young age, peeping, stealing underwear, groping etc.), where those neural pathways could be firmly patterned and continually reinforced into the brain and its cognitive processing, that's a fairly dangerous psychopathology right there.

And we are in a window cleaning frenzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Joe Detective noted this earlier, but I'm not sure why people seem to be keen to label BRE as either unintelligent or mediocre. Intelligence is measured across a number of domains, and while there is considered a 'general measure of intelligence', the different domains can certainly be mutually exclusive. It's not uncommon for people to be less strong in one area but particularly strong, even gifted in another. I think we've all met or known people who appear poor at basic every day things, self-care or commonsense, but are quite brilliant at other things, maybe music, art, maths etc. Some intelligent people can of course also be lazy, whether they're bored or things come easily to them, or they simply don't care about some areas of life as their attentions are taken by other things. I think it is misguided to assume any measure of intelligence based on BRE's modest home and yard, or longstanding employment alone, as it risks veering towards judgement. More generally, if we consider there are multiple domains of intelligence, so too are there different types of psychopathy. Psychopathy is essentially a particularly extreme end of the personality continuum within the Antisocial Personality domain, to be diagnosed with APD people usually have to meet the criteria for Conduct Disorder as a youth. These people are generally speaking risk takers, opportunistic, narcissistic, self-entitled and self-serving, and may seem to almost lack a fundamental moral centre, at the more extreme end they may even enjoy taking advantage of others and seek to do so. But they aren't necessarily violent, for instance they may be consistently fraudulent, although many are prone to anger or what has been described as a 'narcissistic rage' when challenged or denied what they want or feel entitled to. There's been research done into APD and psychopathy and it's been suggested that it may arise due to a fundamental absence or significant breach in attachment to a primary caregiver. When a child becomes upset and the mother picks it up and says 'there, there little one' and smiles lovingly into the child's eyes, the child feels safe and regulates its distress in accordance with the mother - they are 'attached'. We all have attachment styles, an internal model of our fundamental internalised rules and understanding about human interpersonal relationships, ranging anywhere from secure to insecure, based on our initial attachments to our primary caregivers. People with APD, or psychopaths, are thought to have not been attuned to well by their primary caregivers; left in the cot crying and having to soothe themselves rather than attuning and regulating through a loving mother and learning how to healthily self-regulate over time. As the brain is going through its key developmental stages these kinds of experiences and ruptures in attachment can leave people developing a 'flat affect' or lack of feeling, and a fundamental lack of empathy from others as they are unable to attune to the emotional states of others. This is why they often say 'monsters are not born, they are made', although there is bound to be genetic predispositions to this too. It is also noted that head injuries can be linked to antisocial behaviour, but that would likely be due to damage done to the prefrontal cortex where our reasoning and higher decision making is performed and would obviously be impaired. Needless to say, if you were to pair a fundamental lack of empathy with a tendency towards risk-taking behaviour, with an aberrant sexual development around sexual pleasure (*advertiser censored* at a young age, peeping, stealing underwear, groping etc.), where those neural pathways could be firmly patterned and continually reinforced into the brain and its cognitive processing, that's a fairly dangerous psychopathology right there.

Brilliant post! Thank you.

:goodpost:

You seem to know a lot about this, so how would you stop your children from developing psychopathic traits if there was a genetic factor involved? Is it enough to play the part of the perfect mother or is there more you could do?

Just a note on previous conversations in regards to BRE being English. It could be because his father,around the time of BREs birth stated on documents he was; "Nationality" British. Which was commonly used on documents circa ww11 so I presume 1968 the identifier was still being used. Possibly people confused this with his place of birth.

BRE was born in Australia. 7 Dec in Merriden (source WS poster confirmed) His mother is from a country town in WA and his father locally.

EDIT I should add: presuming if someone declares they are "from" this usually means place of birth on documents if the residential address is different. ie: From Albany and residing Perth. BRE's birthplace is spot on though.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/g...ional-plea-to-her-killer-20170131-gu21pf.html

What an honourable, strong man.
I hope for the family's sake the police have their man and i hope he let's them have closure.

IMO despite that BRE is not required to enter a plea at this point, the fact that he hasn't might say something. May want to see what evidence they present before he decides whether there's a way to defend or negotiate better conditions for himself.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/g...ional-plea-to-her-killer-20170131-gu21pf.html

What an honourable, strong man.
I hope for the family's sake the police have their man and i hope he let's them have closure.

IMO despite that BRE is not required to enter a plea at this point, the fact that he hasn't might say something. May want to see what evidence they present before he decides whether there's a way to defend or negotiate better conditions for himself.

Poor bloke. I shudder to think what he's been through in the last 21 years. Also, I think it must be said that I've never heard him say a bad word about the police and he's in the best situation to make judgement on that aspect of things. While I don't doubt that mistakes have been made in what has been a very long and complex investigation his kind words about the police are worth keeping in mind.

So tell us what about BRE makes you think is anything bit ordinary, even a but dull?

He plays computer games at 48 years old, he doesn’t have any particular education, he’s spent 30+ years with the same employer, he’s into ‘footy’ in a big way, etc.

John said Labor will introduce "no body no parole" laws should Labor get in at the next State election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Quigley_(politician)

Degree of political opportunism there. BRE would have to be convicted of SS murder first before that would apply to him anyway. If he ever does get done for SS one would assume he would have already gone down for CG and JR, so no chance of parole in any case.

Sorry for the delayed topic post but I have seen mention of BREs Facebook and his SD no longer being his "friend". Could someone please provide the link to his page?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note on previous conversations in regards to BRE being English. It could be because his father,around the time of BREs birth stated on documents he was; "Nationality" British. Which was commonly used on documents circa ww11 so I presume 1968 the identifier was still being used. Possibly people confused this with his place of birth.

BRE was born in Australia. 7 Dec in Merriden (source WS poster confirmed) His mother is from a country town in WA and his father locally.

EDIT I should add: presuming if someone declares they are "from" this usually means place of birth on documents if the residential address is different. ie: From Albany and residing Perth. BRE's birthplace is spot on though.

i think you mean "Merredin"
http://www.merredin.wa.gov.au/

SD only deleted him as a friend on FB in the last few days :thinking: I know because I have been checking regularly.
Really curious about that

Telstra declined to comment about its long-term employee yesterday, but The Weekend Australian has learned his skills made him useful in the field for the company’s contracts with resources giants Rio Tinto and BHP in Perth and in the state’s north.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...d/news-story/f34913420ecf0edf1a4b991994f8254d

Early news after his arrest stated Rio Tinto in his work
He also had friends with Rio Tinto as job on his list

Definitely not the Curtin Uni guy though. Probably more than one BE at Rio Tinto too.
Not an uncommon name

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members