Australia Australia - Claremont SK, 1996-97, Perth, WA - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing MsAnais with the hood, I don't know much about the psychological aspect of course, unlike yourself, but I have read a lot about SKs and watched a lot of docos. (Yes we women do that, and I think it is to be forewarned and to protect others by having that knowledge, the nurturing in us, and the wanting to know why?) Is there a shame aspect too to covering the face so the perp. doesn't have to look into the eyes of the victim? I know this happens with some killers during/after they have raped and killed, the covering of the face is important to hide what they're doing/ have done, not "own up to it" somehow? I realise it also affords the attacker protection from being recognised of course. And the non verbal interaction, could it also be that some, and I stress some, of the girls had met him somewhere, seen him around and he was making sure they couldn't identify him if one got away, as a couple had done previously? Just thoughts, feel free to correct me.

Yes - totally agree with what you're saying Lamp :seeya:

Yes I wonder if he would have risked infidelity to satisfy any kinky desires with willing consenting participants...or.....maybe the ex-wives were actually "into" this fetish as well? Perhaps this gave him his release and satisfied his kink without the need to kill during this period?

My mind can't just fathom....how can they go from violent, sadistic rape and power trip....to "normal" sex..as in part of a relationship...does a rapist / killer get these urges when they're with the spouse? How do they hold back the urge to kill if they do experience these urges....I am interested to understand more.

May sound bizarre..but...would love to have an insight into what his sex life/desire was like...there's so many angles to get an idea how these peoples brains tick...I believe this is just another...

I recall another member posting about this.....

There's a phenomenon called MADONNA-*advertiser censored* COMPLEX. This is where men perceive women in two distinct categories:
Madonna category: wholesome 'virginal' woman, capable only of simple sexual activities like missionary position etc; is not seen as sexual being, just viewed as a wife type and possibly mother of their children . The woman they marry.
*advertiser censored* Category: extremely sexual woman who could never be seen as a wife, who partakes in more extreme or risky sexual practices . The woman at centre of their fantasies or affairs.

Edit: quote and link

"In psychoanalytic literature, a Madonna–*advertiser censored* complex is the inability to maintain sexual arousal within a committed, loving relationship."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna–whore_complex

Yes I wonder if he would have risked infidelity to satisfy any kinky desires with willing consenting participants...or.....maybe the ex-wives were actually "into" this fetish as well? Perhaps this gave him his release and satisfied his kink without the need to kill during this period?

My mind can't just fathom....how can they go from violent, sadistic rape and power trip....to "normal" sex..as in part of a relationship...does a rapist / killer get these urges when they're with the spouse? How do they hold back the urge to kill if they do experience these urges....I am interested to understand more.

May sound bizarre..but...would love to have an insight into what his sex life/desire was like...there's so many angles to get an idea how these peoples brains tick...I believe this is just another...

BBM

I wonder that too. It's not my area of expertise but I found this online info which supports other stuff I have read suggesting that these guys often have a higher than average sex drive but that they don't necessarily act out 'deviantly' with the spouse.

I assume they are fantasising big-time the whole time they are having 'normal' sex with their wives.

This is what it says about Gary Ridgeway, The Green River Killer -

'Although his wives were unaware that they had married a prolific killer, the women in Ridgeway’s life described his relentless sexual appetite, noting that he would demand sex multiple times a day.'

http://crimefeed.com/2015/12/serial-killer-sex-lives-depraved-traits-notorious-murderers/

ps. most of the article isn't relevant to spousal sex....just the Gary Ridgeway bit really

pps. I have ads blocked on my computer so I'm not sure if there are creepy ads on that page - there may well be. It's all a bit sensationalist so it wouldn't surprise me.

Regarding the accused BRE's sex life. Are we assuming that BRE was 'faithful' to both of his ex-wives EE and CGE ??? (apologies to both women for raising this point)
Sleuthers have surmised that the majority of the accused crimes that we know about seem to have occurred during a relationship breakdown.

Is it possible the accused had 'normal' affairs (eg: normal meaning minus the rape, bashing, and murder) with other women during his marriages???

Was the accused into infidelity as well as rape, violence and murder?

Could the accused have been into BDSM?

Playing the good hubby whilst out playing the field and having affairs with women who had BDSM fetishes and fantasies?

Edit: BDSM would definitely provide the accused with opportunity to practice, experiment, and refine the best, most effective bondage techniques to restrain, tie up, or tie down a woman.

No big stretch to then transfer his rope and bondage skills from willing recipients to unwilling victims.

Nothing more than speculation, but I am inclined to believe that the accused would likely be very drawn to fantasies based around BDSM. However, I see him as having a highly emotionally avoidant attachment style, with a significant hostility towards women, probably as a result of feeling very remote from females as he was going through his adolescent development and becoming sexualised, feeling like he was entirely unable to relate to girls despite being highly attracted to them, and feeling highly inadequate as a result. I think that peeping and stealing clothing off lines would have been a means to feel a sense of sexual closeness to women, to whom he felt quite alienated. I suspect the accused would likely have also had a very precious collection of *advertiser censored* at the time which helped him feel sexually satisfied, but also shaped his internalised ideas and expectations around sex (and the dominant role of men in sex), as well as playing a strong role in the neural wiring of his brain relating to sexual pleasure and the need for increasingly strong sexual stimuli to create satisfaction. I think it's likely he would have 'graduated' towards BDSM *advertiser censored* due to the increased 'strength' of sexual content and stimulation, but also because of the theme of power and control as a way to sexually express his hatred towards women for his feelings of inadequacy and rejection. But I suspect that given his emotionally avoidant constitution and highly private nature, that it would likely have remained a strongly private pursuit, and while he might have deeply wanted to 'experiment' in these areas, that he was unable to manage this and that his desires lay deeply embedded in him without any opportunity to externalise them in a context other than his sexual violence. I suspect that even if at some point his own consenting relationships might have had the opportunity to explore these themes, that he would have felt exposed, shameful and inadequate, and much more comfortable leaving them to be his own private delights. I also expect that it would not be the least bit surprising to discover the accused to have been domestically abusive, i.e. controlling and domineering, overly black and white and punitive, emotionally cold and distant, and at times verbally, emotionally, psychologically, and even physically and sexually abusive, all the while appearing to be an upstanding family man to even those closest around him. I also expect him to have continued his engagement with extreme *advertiser censored* to satisfy his sexual fantasies.

I will say that although I believe his behaviour has been an expression of his private inner world, I am troubled by the earlier incident noted in Debi Marshall's book involving the attempted abduction of a women in Claremont from a taxi, whereby a man crouching in the back tried to pull her in, and she was able to escape with a broken ankle or similar. Clearly, this was the reason for the suspicion of Peter Weygers and Steven Ross, but it strikes me as such a brazen and sinister attempt at abduction with highly nefarious motives, that I have found myself questioning if it might be possible that some of the attacks could have involved an accomplice, whom shared a history of having been sexualised in an aberrant way.

Nothing more than speculation, but I am inclined to believe that the accused would likely be very drawn to fantasies based around BDSM. However, I see him as having a highly emotionally avoidant attachment style, with a significant hostility towards women, probably as a result of feeling very remote from females as he was going through his adolescent development and becoming sexualised, feeling like he was entirely unable to relate to girls despite being highly attracted to them, and feeling highly inadequate as a result. I think that peeping and stealing clothing off lines would have been a means to feel a sense of sexual closeness to women, to whom he felt quite alienated. I suspect the accused would likely have also had a very precious collection of *advertiser censored* at the time which helped him feel sexually satisfied, but also shaped his internalised ideas and expectations around sex (and the dominant role of men in sex), as well as playing a strong role in the neural wiring of his brain relating to sexual pleasure and the need for increasingly strong sexual stimuli to create satisfaction. I think it's likely he would have 'graduated' towards BDSM *advertiser censored* due to the increased 'strength' of sexual content and stimulation, but also because of the theme of power and control. But I suspect that given his emotionally avoidant constitution and highly private nature, that it would likely have remained a strongly private pursuit, and while he might have deeply wanted to 'experiment' in these areas, that he was unable to manage this and that his desires lay deeply embedded in him without any opportunity to externalise them in any context other than his sexual violence. I suspect that even if at some point his own consenting relationships might have had the opportunity to explore these themes, that he would have felt exposed, shameful and inadequate. I also expect that it would not be the least bit surprising to discover the accused to have been domestically abusive, i.e. controlling and domineering, overly black and white and punitive, emotionally cold and distant, and at times verbally, emotionally, psychologically, and even physically and sexually abusive. I also expect him to have continued his engagement with extreme *advertiser censored* to satisfy his sexual fantasies.

I will say that although I believe his behaviour has been an expression of his private inner world, I am troubled by the earlier incident noted in Debi Marshall's book involving the attempted abduction of a women in Claremont from a taxi, whereby a man crouching in the back tried to pull her in, and she was able to escape with a broken ankle or similar. Clearly, this was the reason for the suspicion of Peter Weygers and Steven Ross, but it strikes me as such a brazen and sinister attempt at abduction with highly nefarious motives, that I have found myself questioning if it might be possible that some of the attacks could have involved an accomplice, whom shared a history of having been sexualised in an aberrant way.

Brilliant post! Thank you!

BBM

I've been wondering the exact same thing recently.

There is also that other killer who wouldn't kill when he was in a relationship, someone mentioned it here before. Was it the BTK guy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BBM

I wonder that too. It's not my area of expertise but I found this online info which supports other stuff I have read suggesting that these guys often have a higher than average sex drive but that they don't necessarily act out 'deviantly' with the spouse.

I assume they are fantasising big-time the whole time they are having 'normal' sex with their wives.

This is what it says about Gary Ridgeway, The Green River Killer -

'Although his wives were unaware that they had married a prolific killer, the women in Ridgeway’s life described his relentless sexual appetite, noting that he would demand sex multiple times a day.'

http://crimefeed.com/2015/12/serial-killer-sex-lives-depraved-traits-notorious-murderers/

ps. most of the article isn't relevant to spousal sex....just the Gary Ridgeway bit really

pps. I have ads blocked on my computer so I'm not sure if there are creepy ads on that page - there may well be. It's all a bit sensationalist so it wouldn't surprise me.

Have heard this too about David Birnie and his sexual appetite being, let's just say, way above average. I've read that this was one of the reasons why Catherine Birnie helped him, to virtually get him off her. This insatiable appetite for sex, I would think, has nothing to do with being exceptionally virile, perhaps quite the opposite? Feelings of inadequacy when it comes to women so the need to have sex all the time to prove themselves somehow. Very low self esteem, self worth, terribly neglected as babies/children, needs not met, the need to pacify and pleasure themselves for comfort? No excuse for anything these vile "humans" do, but we've seen this in very neglected foster children we have cared for over the years, very sad, and VERY frightening the rage in some!

Nothing more than speculation, but I am inclined to believe that the accused would likely be very drawn to fantasies based around BDSM. However, I see him as having a highly emotionally avoidant attachment style, with a significant hostility towards women, probably as a result of feeling very remote from females as he was going through his adolescent development and becoming sexualised, feeling like he was entirely unable to relate to girls despite being highly attracted to them, and feeling highly inadequate as a result. I think that peeping and stealing clothing off lines would have been a means to feel a sense of sexual closeness to women, to whom he felt quite alienated. I suspect the accused would likely have also had a very precious collection of *advertiser censored* at the time which helped him feel sexually satisfied, but also shaped his internalised ideas and expectations around sex (and the dominant role of men in sex), as well as playing a strong role in the neural wiring of his brain relating to sexual pleasure and the need for increasingly strong sexual stimuli to create satisfaction. I think it's likely he would have 'graduated' towards BDSM *advertiser censored* due to the increased 'strength' of sexual content and stimulation, but also because of the theme of power and control as a way to sexually express his hatred towards women for his feelings of inadequacy and rejection. But I suspect that given his emotionally avoidant constitution and highly private nature, that it would likely have remained a strongly private pursuit, and while he might have deeply wanted to 'experiment' in these areas, that he was unable to manage this and that his desires lay deeply embedded in him without any opportunity to externalise them in a context other than his sexual violence. I suspect that even if at some point his own consenting relationships might have had the opportunity to explore these themes, that he would have felt exposed, shameful and inadequate, and much more comfortable leaving them to be his own private delights. I also expect that it would not be the least bit surprising to discover the accused to have been domestically abusive, i.e. controlling and domineering, overly black and white and punitive, emotionally cold and distant, and at times verbally, emotionally, psychologically, and even physically and sexually abusive, all the while appearing to be an upstanding family man to even those closest around him. I also expect him to have continued his engagement with extreme *advertiser censored* to satisfy his sexual fantasies.

Whoooaaaa! Thank you so much Perpendicular, think that says it all really! Can see someone I worked with once who is now in jail for over 10 years, in these comments, and I have said all along that his capture could have saved someone's life and reading your post I think I just may have been right as he was exactly like your description! Very informative and intuitive post, feel I should print and frame it and watch as it is revealed in court!!

Just one more thing, if you will humour me please Perpendicular, that sort of rang a few bells was your last statement about the accomplice. I'm wondering, if just for the 3 Claremont girls perhaps, the CSK did have an accomplice who hid in the back and restrained the girls once they got in the car, and who shared the dreadful sexual/murderous rampage, as you have suggested. This technique having tried and failed with the girl in the taxi, and now perfected somehow, maybe by the killing of poor prostitutes who disappeared around that time? Then that person disposed of the girls at the D sites as this person had more "experience" with disposals/? perhaps older? And another thing that's just raced through my brain, could there have been a *advertiser censored*/erotic bond between an accomplice and the accused, or "the promise/teasing" of one by the accused? This relationship dissolved when needs weren't met and the accused went back to solo blitz/rape and occasional murder with the knowledge he had gained from the older accomplice?

Thanks for this great post Perpendicular! Re the potential accomplice, agree it may be possible, perhaps a submissive type of person??

In March 2016 there was a Telstra POI which was mentioned on WS (link below). It is possible that BRE was on the radar at this point, however it was mentioned that the person was divorced and lived in Mandurah. Perhaps someone who BRE worked with helped him, just a thought and all IMO.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...er-1996-1997-Perth-Western-Australia-4/page72

Thanks for this great post Perpendicular! Re the potential accomplice, agree it may be possible, perhaps a submissive type of person??

In March 2016 there was a Telstra POI which was mentioned on WS (link below). It is possible that BRE was on the radar at this point, however it was mentioned that the person was divorced and lived in Mandurah. Perhaps someone who BRE worked with helped him, just a thought and all IMO.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...er-1996-1997-Perth-Western-Australia-4/page72
Maybe a 'father' figure?

Thanks DRT for all this, not my forte, but trying to help as best I can. What if we take JC as first victim as per information below (Bolded by me):
"Possible related cases[edit]

It has also been suggested by Liam Bartlett, a journalist, that Sarah Spiers was not the first victim.[SUP][3][/SUP] He wrote that police have told the father of a fourth missing woman, 22-year-old Julie Cutler, that his daughter was probably a victim of the Claremont killer.
Ms. Cutler, a university student, from Fremantle, vanished after leaving a staff function at the Parmelia Hilton Hotel in Perth at 9pm, one night in 1988. Her car was found in the surf near the groyne at Cottesloe Beach two days later. Her fate is also unknown."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont_serial_murders

This would mean that the CSK waited another 8 years after this murder to kill again, I don't really think so, but who knows. Of course this would be the West part of the straight line theory, very close by, but he was younger and perhaps new at this macabre "game", or maybe he didn't plan it at all, just started with this one and then thought he'd better go in different directions after this and head opposite of West and so on? And perhaps there are more victims at each point of the compass that haven't been found? Strange that police would tell JCs father that his daughter was "probably" a victim of CSK even though there was such a big time lapse between this and the Claremont killings? Why would they relate this one and not one of the other many missing women?
Just a guess but after BRE was nearly caught with the cemetary rape he may have committed the rape/murder on JC and SS and made sure the bodies were never found,He then got more confident and left the bodies of GR and CG in a more findable location.

Just a guess but after BRE was nearly caught with the cemetary rape he may have committed the rape/murder on JC and SS and made sure the bodies were never found,He then got more confident and left the bodies of GR and CG in a more findable location.

If by JC you mean Julie Cutler, she disappeared in 1988. 7 years before the cemetery rape.

Further to the above - the Telstra POI was discussed in early 2016, a number of months before BRE was arrested. As stated above Mandurah was also mentioned - one could consider that Madora Bay could effectively be considered in Mandurah region.

If by JC you mean Julie Cutler, she disappeared in 1988. 7 years before the cemetery rape.

If it was a father figure showing the ropes scenario, partnership for the 3 CSK cases, it could be that JC was the work of the "father". Alternatively, it doesn't sound like BRE has a criminal record or left the state for long as I think that probably would have been in the news (did I miss anything like that?)... but if it's a partnership maybe that happened to the partner.

Possible that BRE took wife/girlfriend to undisclosed D sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or took daughter or others near undisclosed D sites? Not necessarily for sexual arousal - but for quiet little secrets-for-one self pride moments that he wanted to 'share' but not really share share!???

Not sure if i can say this next comment because my stomach is churning.......but.....

Does anyone suspect the accused/alleged CSK of having inappropriate (sexual) relations with minor/s? or inappropriate sexual thoughts and desires involving minors?

Just one more thing, if you will humour me please Perpendicular, that sort of rang a few bells was your last statement about the accomplice. I'm wondering, if just for the 3 Claremont girls perhaps, the CSK did have an accomplice who hid in the back and restrained the girls once they got in the car, and who shared the dreadful sexual/murderous rampage, as you have suggested. This technique having tried and failed with the girl in the taxi, and now perfected somehow, maybe by the killing of poor prostitutes who disappeared around that time? Then that person disposed of the girls at the D sites as this person had more "experience" with disposals/? perhaps older? And another thing that's just raced through my brain, could there have been a *advertiser censored*/erotic bond between an accomplice and the accused, or "the promise/teasing" of one by the accused? This relationship dissolved when needs weren't met and the accused went back to solo blitz/rape and occasional murder with the knowledge he had gained from the older accomplice?

Hi LFMP,
Your point re: different attacks as a 'duo act' and as a 'solo artist' is an interesting one, I have spent the last week wondering about this also. There's been a number of other posters who have suggested the CSK may not have acted alone so it's by no means an original idea, but that particular failed abduction seems highly sinister, and possibly even involved a 'fake taxi' scheme. It was likely even enough to inform WAPOL's own investigation into PW and SR as a possible MO, although in hindsight we now see how absurd those particular inquiries were. Nevertheless, that doesn't diminish the implications of that failed attack. In watching the Birnie's doco the surviving escapee described the feeling of safety of there being a 'married couple' offering a lift, from memory I recall SS had 'split a cab' the night before, which was more common practice at that time; I wonder if an 'already occupied' taxi with a 'concerned paying customer' might also offer a sense safety to a young woman looking to get home, or allow for a fortified blitz attack. When entertaining this line of thought, I know who most readily comes to mind for myself, I would be highly surprised if WAPOL had not at least considered this possibility. This is nothing more than speculation and the DNA evidence only implicates one individual - the current accused - so I certainly don't want for this to derail discussion in any way, as I still lean towards an individual perpetrator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member