Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gunfight At The QC Corral

Another article. Not sure if it's been posted yet but it is quite interesting in that it talks about one of the high-profile legal cases LR was previously involved with.

Oh, it also says that Judge Brian Martin presided over the Snowtown barrel murders case as well as the Bradley Murdoch trial.

http://m.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/gunfight-at-the-qc-corral-20120721-22gse.html

Some excerpts from the article relating to LR and this trial:-

"In his eulogy at his wife's funeral, he wiped a tear as he recalled ''love at first sight'' when he spotted Corryn at the Australian Government Solicitor's Office in the late 1980s. Three weeks later, police broke down his door in Como, executing a search warrant for evidence that Rayney was illegally taping his late wife's telephone calls."

"He was charged with wire tampering under the Surveillance Services Act. Detective Jack Lee named Rayney as the prime suspect in killing his own wife. Rayney's lawyers issued stinging denials. Lee was transferred to the Pilbara town of Karratha. Rayney went public with his anguish: ''It took more than 20 years to build my career and reputation and less than 20 minutes to destroy it.''

He sued the police over the statements alleging he was the prime and only suspect."

"Rayney was described as an expert in forensic evidence, an accomplished card player who knew every trick in the book. He will need to play every card perfectly against wily prosecutor John Agius. He has a perfect poker face."

"The Crown case is a circumstantial case: they must prove it beyond reasonable doubt. The pattern of coincidences must point reliably to guilt and no other hypothesis. As I have said before, coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.

The defamation cases have been delayed until after the trial."

Hi Gemini Girl - I'm not sure if Lloyd Rayney has been suspened from practising law. I've done an online search (as you probably also have) but can't find any reference to this being the case.

The only reference I have found to him 'working' is in this recent rather gossipy piece about him being at a pub a month ago. But it doesn't say what kind of work he's doing. Maybe he's just working on his own case?

I do tend to think, however, that seeing as the judge was so kind to grant LR bail - out of particular consideration for the children - that LR is still working as a lawyer in some capacity at least - so that he can provide financially for himself and his daughters.

Just my thoughts only and it would be great if someone who knows for sure, would clue us in!

http://www.optuszoo.com.au/news/top/perth-now/lloyd-rayneys-early-exit/704598

"Mr Rayney's lawyer Laura Timpano, pictured left, told The Sunday Times her client had gone to the pub to "wind down" after working all Saturday and Sunday."

Thanks YN, I'd also be interested to know, was LR charged with "interfering with a corpse" as GBC in Brisbane was (presumably because he moved Allison's body to another location) or does that charge not apply in WA?

Any Sandgroper legal eagles able to clarify one or both of these issues? (ie is LR still practising law, was he charged with interfering with a corpse).

Thanks in advance

:rocker:

JMO MOO

Thanks YN, I'd also be interested to know, was LR charged with "interfering with a corpse" as GBC in Brisbane was (presumably because he moved Allison's body to another location) or does that charge not apply in WA?

Any Sandgroper legal eagles able to clarify one or both of these issues? (ie is LR still practising law, was he charged with interfering with a corpse).

Thanks in advance

:rocker:

JMO MOO

Hi Gemini Girl,

I can't find any reference to LR being charged with anything other than 'Wilful Murder'. I imagine 'interfering with a corpse' charge does exist here but couldn't say for certain as am not a lawyer or police officer.

The following press article with tv news video was released at the time of his arrest in December 2010.

I hope the QPS have learnt alot from this investigation. It seems they have as they seem to have handled the Allison Baden Clay investigation really cleverly. The 'interfering with a corpse' charge in Allison's case is probably an example of this - as if GBC is found not guilty of murder then he can be found guilty of the second charge and still sent to prison.

Not sure I can say the same for the WA Police Service (not sure they've been as clever as QPSI mean) ...although they did have the fact that LR is a legal 'name' to contend with.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/l...er-after-innercity-arrest-20101208-18pax.html

Yes, any WA lawyer-folk reading. We'd appreciate any insight you have to offer!

Good thinking, mouse detective.

I think you could be right, regarding the place card having fallen out of his jacket pocket.

Since he didn't drive to the dinner in Corryn's car (as witnesses will testify) then it's not likely the card would have been in her car.

I wonder if he threw the digging implement into the Swan River as he made his way back over the Narrows Bridge back to his house at Como? I wonder if the police ever dredged or sent divers into the river? (They could have cleaned it up while they were at it lol...there is that much junk in there).

As for Corryn's boots...yes a big mistake to leave them in the car. Why didn't he dispose of them also? Why didn't he bury them with the body?

Good question, mouse detective regarding whether the alleged murderer scouted the burial site beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if he had.

He knew the pressure was being applied to him by his wife (he set up recording devices to listen to her phone conversations and even recorded face to face conversations with her, so it was clear he felt threatened.) All his hopes and dreams of securing the Queen's Counsel position would go up in smoke if his reputation as a serial womaniser and chronic gambler were exposed.

I wouldn't be surprised if his thoughts had turned to planning murder, long before the actual crime took place.

If only Corryn had left him and found a safe place from which to expose the one she described as 'a snake and wicked man'.

http://www.news.com.au/was-trial-of-the-century/story-e6frg12l-1226427536395
(Best article, in my opinion, of the trial revelations to date. Contains many details, photos and an aerial view of burial site).

In My Opinion Only

I don’t know much about this case at all, as I live in Brisbane; however I wanted to start following it. The attached article gives a great summation and the evidence against him seems pretty strong, but stranger things have happened. However when I saw his photo (for the first time) I just said to myself, oh yeah he did it. I can’t really tell you why, just a gut feeling and something to do with the sleazy look about him. I would have thought they would have had 3 judges instead of 1, as it will be a huge burden on just 1 to sit through all of this evidence and then be the one to convict him…
Just saying and just my opinion.

Hi Gemini Girl,

I can't find any reference to LR being charged with anything other than 'Wilful Murder'. I imagine 'interfering with a corpse' charge does exist here but couldn't say for certain as am not a lawyer or police officer.

The following press article with tv news video was released at the time of his arrest in December 2010.

I hope the QPS have learnt alot from this investigation. It seems they have as they seem to have handled the Allison Baden Clay investigation really cleverly. The 'interfering with a corpse' charge in Allison's case is probably an example of this - as if GBC is found not guilty of murder then he can be found guilty of the second charge and still sent to prison.

Not sure I can say the same for the WA Police Service (not sure they've been as clever as QPSI mean) ...although they did have the fact that LR is a legal 'name' to contend with.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/l...er-after-innercity-arrest-20101208-18pax.html

Yes, any WA lawyer-folk reading. We'd appreciate any insight you have to offer!

Morning YN, yes, I think you are correct that QPS have learned from this case and been quite clever in some ways as a result, lol.

(No disparagement meant to the QPS or WA Police at all BTW).

I also suspect they will be continually monitoring this case as it unfolds, looking for further useful lessons!!

:jail:

JMO MOO

I don’t know much about this case at all, as I live in Brisbane; however I wanted to start following it. The attached article gives a great summation and the evidence against him seems pretty strong, but stranger things have happened. However when I saw his photo (for the first time) I just said to myself, oh yeah he did it. I can’t really tell you why, just a gut feeling and something to do with the sleazy look about him. I would have thought they would have had 3 judges instead of 1, as it will be a huge burden on just 1 to sit through all of this evidence and then be the one to convict him…

Welcome Big Apple and agree with your thoughts 100%

Thanks for the great link too.

:welcome:

JMO MOO

This article just states that the WA DPP's image has been tarnished because of LR's alleged affairs with female members of the DPP and the allegation that a member of the WA DPP helped to organise the phone tap on Corinne.

It also explains that the trial is being managed by the NSW Department of Public Prosecutions and that the judge, Brian Martin, normally works in South Australia.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...smear-dpp-office/story-fndo486p-1226433149898

"The case against Mr Rayney is being handled by the New South Wales DPP because Mr Rayney once worked as a criminal prosecutor in WA.

The trial judge, Justice Brian Martin, has also been brought in from outside. He is South Australian and a former Northern Territory chief justice."

The trial resumes today (Tuesday 24th July) and will hear the testimonies of about 190 witnesses.

Hi BigApple...Welcome :)

Yes, Justice Brian Martin would probably have appreciated some other legal minds to talk to about this case, as he makes a decision.

It will certainly be a lot of material for one person to process, I think.

JMO

The Trial Resumes Today (Tuesday 24th July) before The Hon. Justice Brian Martin Court 7-2, District Court Building, 500 Hay Street, Perth 10:00The State of Western Australia v. Lloyd Patrick Rayney (INS 83/2011)

http://www.supremecourt.wa.gov.au/_apps/courtlist/Default.aspx?uid=4990-4252-1751-3372

I can't attend today but might be able to go tomorrow.

:gavel:

Look forward to any personal updates you can manage to bring us YN.

Great to have local sleuthers on the case lol

JMO MOO

LR's Law Suits
Below are links to some articles on the law suits LR is conducting. One suit is against the WA Police for saying he was 'the prime and only suspect' in his wife's murder. I think the QPS learnt much from this 'mistake' and made sure they kept their thoughts close to their chest, with regard to Gerard Baden-Clay.

The articles also suggest that LR has had to cease working as a barrister.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...tion-over-police/story-e6frg6nf-1111117510812

Excerpt:
"Mr Rayney is suing the government, which is responsible for civil wrongs committed by police, for general damages, capped at $250,000 in WA, and for special damages for the loss of income as a barrister.
There is no set limit to special damages, and Mr Bennett said it was a “fair inference” the figure could run into the millions of dollars.

“We're talking about the potential destruction of an earning capacity for life,” he said.

Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan has previously said Sergeant Lee named Mr Rayney under media pressure."

Other articles regarding LRlaw suits:http://netk.net.au/Rayney/Rayney43.asp

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/7165746/rayney-sues-over-murder-book/

BBM

LR's Law Suits
Below are links to some articles on the law suits LR is conducting. One suit is against the WA Police for saying he was 'the prime and only suspect' in his wife's murder. I think the QPS learnt much from this 'mistake' and made sure they kept their thoughts close to their chest, with regard to Gerard Baden-Clay.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...tion-over-police/story-e6frg6nf-1111117510812

Excerpt:
"Mr Rayney is suing the government, which is responsible for civil wrongs committed by police, for general damages, capped at $250,000 in WA, and for special damages for the loss of income as a barrister.
There is no set limit to special damages, and Mr Bennett said it was a “fair inference” the figure could run into the millions of dollars.

“We're talking about the potential destruction of an earning capacity for life,” he said.

Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan has previously said Sergeant Lee named Mr Rayney under media pressure."

BBM

Haven't read all those links yet but I wonder if LR still can work as a barrister, but just nobody wants to hire him any more?

Morning YN, yes, I think you are correct that QPS have learned from this case and been quite clever in some ways as a result, lol.

(No disparagement meant to the QPS or WA Police at all BTW).

I also suspect they will be continually monitoring this case as it unfolds, looking for further useful lessons!!

JMO MOO

I agree with you Gemini Girl - this kind of crime seems to happen on a weekly basis in Australia now and too many 'wife killers' have been allowed to go free or have been released on appeal later, in my opinion.

Like you, I'm pretty sure the various states' police and lawyers are as sick of this occurring as most of the general public are and are learning from each other ways of perfecting their techniques of evidence collection and analysis so that when it comes to court they have water-tight cases.

I hope that GBC is shaking in his boots...thanks in part to the experience and knowledge police will have gained from this LR case.

JMO

Great link YN, and yes, you are quite correct, Perth soil is sandy, how could I forget that, after many times stepping onto "lawns" and being startled by the momentary feeling that I was about to fall down a hole :blushing:

And yes, such goat tracks in the park are very dark and eerie at night.

Speaking of tracks, Lovekin Drive, I wasn't far off the mark re the location perhaps.

What must have been going through his mind as those legal teams visited these sites? It makes my skin crawl to look at pictures of him.

:maddening:

Hi all, just discovered this site! Don't know if you saw pictures of LR, or may have been on television while the judiciary were inspecting the burial site in king's park. If a body language expert were to study him - in my amateur's opinion, he looked extremely uncomfortable and dare I say, guilty!! Just my opinion of course.

JMO MOO

Haven't read all those links yet but I wonder if LR still can work as a barrister, but just nobody wants to hire him any more?

I wonder, too, Nads. I'm hoping his licence to go to court for people was suspended, pending the outcome of the trial (since murder is a serious charge)...but I just can't find anything that states this categorically.

Wish we had a law expert sign on here!

If I get to the trial tomorrow I might ask someone, if I get an opportunity.

LR's Law Suits

Excerpt:

BBM

Thanks YN. Gives the impression of a clear belief in his own untouchability due to the nature of his career (if in fact he did it).

JMO MOO

Welcome Dodo :welcome4:

I'm really surprised LR got out of the car at Kings Park (and stood under the only liquid amber tree in the park) knowing there would be cameras on him.

Perhaps he enjoys the attention? From what I've seen of him in photos he appears to be almost smirking whenever the camera is on him.

GBC had the same kind of semi-smiling expression in many of his pre-arrest photos,in my opinion.

IMO

Thanks YN. Gives the impression of a clear belief in his own untouchability due to the nature of his career (if in fact he did it).

JMO MOO

Yes, I have a pretty sensitive 'arrogance-meter'...and it really rings alarm bells with this fellow!

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back