Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM Bolded By Me

I fear the defence may seize on this as evidence it must have been a frame up (not your words Dodo, but the chances you describe)

Because being an almost QC, LR could not possibly be that much of a klutz etc etc...could he???

:maddening:

JMO MOO

Agree there are many similarities between the two alleged perps Dodo

BTW I wish somebody would add a barfing emoticon to the available list!

I think it demonstrates that it just takes one little thing to go wrong to set off a chain of events, which then destroy a perfectly executed plan. Thank heavens for that bollard !!

Latest update

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/first-witnesses-take-to-the-stand-in-rayney-murder-trial-20120724-22m43.html

3.10pm: Professor John Roberts, the father of Benjamin Roberts who committed suicide in Kings Park prior to Corryn Rayney's disappearance, has given evidence in the murder trial of Lloyd Rayney.

Prof Roberts was searching for his son's outstanding remains on August 11, 2007, and discovered a dinner place card bearing Mr Rayney's name near the entrance to the wattle track on Lovekin Drive.

He took a photo of the place, card along with several lighters found near it.
Mr Roberts said he'd been to the park "numerous times" searching for his son's missing bones.

3.00pm: A number of police officers were within metres of Corryn Rayney's gravesite two days after her disappearance, the murder trial of Lloyd Rayney has heard.
The officers were looking for outstanding remains of Benjamin Roberts, who committed suicide on the wattle track, on August 9, 2007.
The police noted damage to the middle bollard leading into the track.
CCTV footage gathered from a Red Rooster restaurant on the the night of Mrs Rayney's disappearance was also tendered.
The footage shows Mrs Rayney in Red Rooster before going home to Como and heading to her Bently bootscooting class.

I read a report today that was a little bit different.

He said that LR had phoned him and left a message and that it was the first time he'd ever left a message.

Actually on the first day in court the prosecutor used the "hansel and gretel" analogy and was rapped on the knuckles by the Judge - it did not go down well with him. I agree there are many similarities between GBC and LR. I think a few more on the GBC forum should come over to read how this is played out once it gets to court because all those questions start to get answered.

http://www.thestarfish.com.au/rayney-australias-most-riveting-murder-trial/
Mr Agius was chastised by Justice Martin when at one stage, he compared the trail of oil leaking from the car that took Corryn Rayney to her grave to a “Hansel and Gretel” trail of breadcrumbs. “That’s a very inappropriate comment,” said the judge, and counsel apologized, saying he was trying to find an analogy.

Hehe, now I'm wondering if I read the hansel and gretal thing In the msm. Don't think so though!! Maybe just a similar vintage to the prosecutor (lol). Inappropriate though, I don't think so, it just begged to be mentioned as far as I can see! Must have been like a detective's dream scenario - the victims car literally leading the police to the scene of the victim's burial site!! Once again, like a few aspects of allison's case, just seems to be a 'little bit' of help from unknown, unexplained quarters that have made things more than a little awkward for the perpetrator. and the place name card added on top of it, must have caused a few heart stopping moments for the perp!!! Lol.

New Link

http://www.news.com.au/national/first-witness-to-stand-at-rayney-trial/story-fncynjr2-1226433157800?from=public_rss

He said Mr Rayney called him early in 2007 and told him he was concerned his wife did not love him any more and he wanted advice about what he should do for the sake of his daughters.

"I said he should do whatever it takes to make sure he continued living there and bringing up those girls,'' he said.

Mr Da Silva told the court Mr Rayney telephoned him for the first time in 17 years and left a message on August 8 2007, the day after Corryn was allegedly killed.

He said Mr Rayney told him Corryn was not at home or her office.

Mr Da Silva, who at first did not think anything was wrong, told him: "She must be somewhere. I don't think she wants to see you.''

Either bad reporting or her father contradicted himself. Mmmm I wonder if he took his father in laws advice and did whatever he had to do to ensure he continued to live in the house and bring up his daughters??

If the father had contradicted himself the Defence would have picked it up today. They challenged him about his memory of LR saying "someone made her do this".

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/first-witnesses-take-to-the-stand-in-rayney-murder-trial-20120724-22m43.html

See 11.30am entry.

It is possible to speak to a person on the phone several times but never leave a message. So..LR could have called Mr Da Silva and Mr Da Silva could have picked up every time. LR could also have called Mr Da Silva and if he did not answer, he could choose to hang up and not leave a message.

Mr Da Silva was not saying that he had never had phone contact with LR in 17 years: he was just saying that LR had never left a phone message for him in 17 years.

I was listening to the radio this evening (can't remember what station it was) and Emmy Kubainski, who is a reporter for Seven News in Perth was giving a wrap up of the day's events. The way she was talking, it sounded like she was in court.

She said that originally that there were going to be 200 witnesses called across the entire trial but she expects that this number will reduce considerably as the trial progresses.

She said that today there were meant to be 11 witnesses but this number had almost halved as the Prosecution and Defence had agreed to accept statements from some witnesses, eliminating the need for them to appear in court.

Would have been interesting to know who the witnesses were and what their statements said.

She said that today there were meant to be 11 witnesses but this number had almost halved as the Prosecution and Defence had agreed to accept statements from some witnesses, eliminating the need for them to appear in court.

Would have been interesting to know who the witnesses were and what their statements said.

Very interesting indeed!

Does anyone happen to know where Corryn Rayney's mother is? I have never seen her picture or heard her mentioned and was wondering if she had passed away. It's hard to imagine that she wouldn't attend the trial if she was alive.

I notice that Aussie Criminals now has a thread about the LR trial.

One of the posters on the Aussie Criminals LR trial thread had an interesting comment about the digging of the grave. They suggested that the grave may have been dug in advance and that the grave could have been prepared on the night of the dinner that the "celebrity head" place card came from (which was held on 28 July 2007).

It's certainly possible that the grave was dug in advance to save time on the night of the murder. Because it was more deep than wide, it would have been pretty easy to conceal it with branches. If someone found it, they would not automatically think that it was a grave due to its non grave-like shape.

Although, if someone dug a grave in advance that was not filled in, what would they do with the dirt that was removed between the time of digging the grave and burying and covering the body?

As far as I know there was no digging implement found near the grave or in the back of the car. Was this because it was dug in advance and the implement discarded on another night? But, presumably you would need a shovel to cover the body on the night of the murder. If the grave was dug on the night of the murder, what happened to the shovel?

Will be interesting to hear the Prosecutor's theory about the digging of the grave and the absence of a shovel. If they don't come up with a plausible story about that, it could be a bit of a hole in their case.

I wonder mouse if he was suggesting that Corryn's father made her take action to challenge him on hiding things, and on future arrangements for their daughters, and that (implied) he had therefore had no alternative but to defend himself in some way (as he would probably see it)

Perhaps my imagination is running away with me here lol.

Very freudian twist to those few words IMO

JMO MOO

Hmm, very clever thinking, Gemini Girl and I think it's highly possible you are correct!

If this is true...if LR said those words, 'Someone made her do this,' purposely to Corinne's father at the police station as a cryptic way of putting the blame for Corinne's 'disappearance' onto Mr Da Silva, then he (LR) is a very sick puppy.

Yes, I'm sure you know what I'm thinking here.

IMO

:jail:

Hi Daisy, am deeply concerned at the length of time LR has had to "school" his daughters in seeing this his way. I suspect (MOO) this is why the rift with their mother's family occured.

Does anybody in the west know, has LR been able to keep practising law while on bail?

:maddening:

JMO MOO

Totally agree - the girls were only 10 and 13 when they lost their mum and would totally believe what their father told them IMO. Also agree with rift. Am hopeful the girls will one day reconcile with their mums family.

I have heard from a couple of people that LR has spent the last few years working for Australia's richest person, Gina Rinehart of Hancock Prospecting. I didn't make the connection til I read the article below that she was previously a client of his. IMO. Interesting!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/fu...324492/rayney-was-a-high-flyer-with-rinehart/

Thanks YN, I'd also be interested to know, was LR charged with "interfering with a corpse" as GBC in Brisbane was (presumably because he moved Allison's body to another location) or does that charge not apply in WA?

Any Sandgroper legal eagles able to clarify one or both of these issues? (ie is LR still practising law, was he charged with interfering with a corpse).

Thanks in advance

:rocker:

JMO MOO

Highly likely he is practicing law as he is holding a current practice certificate...just checked on Legal Practice Board WA website.

The "b" stands for Barrister btw.
http://renewals.lpbwa.com/CertPracList.aspx

Hmm, very clever thinking, Gemini Girl and I think it's highly possible you are correct!

If this is true...if LR said those words, 'Someone made her do this,' purposely to Corinne's father at the police station as a cryptic way of putting the blame for Corinne's 'disappearance' onto Mr Da Silva, then he (LR) is a very sick puppy.

Yes, I'm sure you know what I'm thinking here.

IMO

Oh, I thought it read that the dad said somebody made her do it?

Hehe, now I'm wondering if I read the hansel and gretal thing In the msm. Don't think so though!! Maybe just a similar vintage to the prosecutor (lol). Inappropriate though, I don't think so, it just begged to be mentioned as far as I can see! Must have been like a detective's dream scenario - the victims car literally leading the police to the scene of the victim's burial site!! Once again, like a few aspects of allison's case, just seems to be a 'little bit' of help from unknown, unexplained quarters that have made things more than a little awkward for the perpetrator. and the place name card added on top of it, must have caused a few heart stopping moments for the perp!!! Lol.

Would have been good to be a fly on the wall in those moments!

JMO MOO

Does anyone happen to know where Corryn Rayney's mother is? I have never seen her picture or heard her mentioned and was wondering if she had passed away. It's hard to imagine that she wouldn't attend the trial if she was alive.

Agree Solaris. I did a bit of a Google search, did not reveal anything

My feeling is she is no longer with us, but really don't know.

Can any Sandgropers clarify this point?

:waitasec:

JMO MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member