Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Defence:-

The defence tried to focus attention a couple of times on the state of inebriation of Paul Bevilacqua and his female companion on the night of the dinner at the Bluewater Bar and Grill. It wasn't stated definitively today but I suspect these were the two people whom are alleged to have caught a lift home with LR that night.

Neither of the witnesses who attended the dinner and who testified today could state that LR picked up his name card from the table at the conclusion of the 'Celebrity Heads' game.

I had always assumed that LR's place card was used by him during the game - but apparently the cards were mixed up on the table and given to other people. Elizabeth Needham who testified said that she received the card that read 'The Queen' but that she didn't look on the other side to see whose name was written there. She did say that there was only one 'The Queen' in the game so we can assume that she had LR's card.

She said LR sat to her right at the table but that she'd placed the card back down on the table at the conclusion of the game with her left hand.

I found the fact that she remembered which hand she'd placed the card down on the table with, to be very fishy indeed. I mean, how would anyone ever remember such a thing...and as I recall, she said she was right handed.

Elizabeth said she didn't see who picked up the cards at the end of the game.

It does seem strange that you would even bother to put your own nametag in your pocket at the end of it all. I wouldn't.

Hi YoureNicked

Do you have any thoughts, or was it made clear why the Prosecution was asking Mr Webb about his vacant house on Kershaw St and whether or not there was any access to the backyard?

Please see 1pm entry on the following link for context.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/the-rayney-trial--second-day-of-evidence-20120725-22p1i.html

I thought it was because maybe the prosecution were wondering whether LR had dropped the car outside and used the vacant house as maybe a 'safe place' to catch his breath or clean himself up.

It wasn't made clear though, what the point of the questioning was.

And I'll have to say, that this is the big difference between a judge-only trial and a trial-by-jury (having been to both now).

Things are far less dramatic in a judge-only trial...and the lawyers don't have to 'spell out' what they are trying to get at, in quite as big letters, as they do when they have a jury of laymen and women to instruct.

It was all handled very quietly, calmly and, I'll have to say, almost blandly, by both the prosecution and defence teams.

I felt I could see the motive behind some of the defence's questions...more than some of the other members of the public who were watching/listening.

And I think the judge knew where the defence was trying to go with his questioning as he, (Justice Martin) stopped him on a couple of occasions from proceeding with a line of questioning and also clarified some of the more technical points with regard to the failing vehicle.

And that's a good thing (that Justice Martin understands) isn't it? lol

MOO

It does seem strange that you would even bother to put your own nametag in your pocket at the end of it all. I wouldn't.

I would have left my name tag on the table...unless I was totally 'into myself'...loved seeing my name in print lol...or thinking to make it look like I'd been framed, at a later date.

Interesting indeed.

I would keep nametags as a memory of the night.
I keep all my nametags, I've even kept ones of a close friend who was leaving it behind.

...Neither of the witnesses who attended the dinner and who testified today could state that LR picked up his name card from the table at the conclusion of the 'Celebrity Heads' game.

This fact is not good for the Prosecution.

I had always assumed that LR's place card was used by him during the game - but apparently the cards were mixed up on the table and given to other people. Elizabeth Needham who testified said that she received the card that read 'The Queen' but that she didn't look on the other side to see whose name was written there. She did say that there was only one 'The Queen' in the game so we can assume that she had LR's card.

Very interesting! So...he did not even have the card with his name on it during the game. Much harder to make the argument that after the game he kept the card or popped it into his jacket pocket.

She said LR sat to her right at the table but that she'd placed the card back down on the table at the conclusion of the game with her left hand.

I found the fact that she remembered which hand she'd placed the card down on the table with, to be very fishy indeed. I mean, how would anyone ever remember such a thing...and as I recall, she said she was right handed.

Agreed. The specificity of what she said also does not help the Prosecution's case. If she put the card down on the table with her left hand it would be located further away from LR (who was on her right hand side) than it would be if she had placed it down with your right hand.

Elizabeth said she didn't see who picked up the cards at the end of the game.

I have inserted my comments in bold and italics.

I thought it was because maybe the prosecution were wondering whether LR had dropped the car outside and used the vacant house as maybe a 'safe place' to catch his breath or clean himself up.

It wasn't made clear though, what the point of the questioning was.

That's weird that they didn't make it clear. Doesn't make sense to just assume the judge knows why they are making a point without spelling it out.

The problem with making an argument about LR using the vacant house as part of a murder plan is that the car was only left in Kershaw St because that is where it broke down. If LR planned this murder, it would make more sense to park the car a longer distance from the grave so that the police would be looking in the wrong area for a body (a bit like Allison Baden Clay's missing phone being placed a long way from her body).

There's no reason to assume that anything in Kershaw St was part of a grand murder plan. If it was, then he was very lucky that the car made it there. Also, if he knew that there were that many members of the legal fraternity living in that St, you'd think it would be the last place that he would choose to engage in any type of dubious activity (including driving a very noisy damaged car, breaking into the back yard of a vacant house etc.).

I would keep nametags as a memory of the night.
I keep all my nametags, I've even kept ones of a close friend who was leaving it behind.

I can see how some people might like to keep a name card as a memento of a lovely evening out or for sentimental reasons.

The problem is that the way that LR has been presented by the Prosecution, he does not seem to be that type of person. Hard to imagine that a man who is alleged to have cold-bloodedly planned and killed his wife (and the mother of his children) would keep a name tag for sentimental reasons.

The Defence:-

The defence tried to focus attention a couple of times on the state of inebriation of Paul Bevilacqua and his female companion on the night of the dinner at the Bluewater Bar and Grill. It wasn't stated definitively today but I suspect these were the two people whom are alleged to have caught a lift home with LR that night.

Neither of the witnesses who attended the dinner and who testified today could state that LR picked up his name card from the table at the conclusion of the 'Celebrity Heads' game.

So if LR didn't take it who else at that dinner had a motive for killing Corryn?

Interested in the inebriation suggestions - suggestive they were unable to remember which car they went home in.

MOO

i wonder if LR knew the place was empty it would have been a good place for him to hide a spade!! JMO

Corrine's Car:-

Mrs K. Durrant who lives in Thomas Street Subiaco, heard a car struggling to gain power at 2.25-2.26am on the morning of Wednesday August 8, 2007. The car was driving past her house, heading north, towards Loftus Street. She knew it was this time because she looked at her clock, which has a clear digital readout and is accurate. Mrs Durrant said the car sounded like it was in first gear but struggling to gain power. The car was loud and travelling slowly.

Mr Wayne Zanetti who was a mechanic at Centreford back in August 2007 testified that he tested the car for police.

Two error codes came up when the car's computer was analysed.

The first fault message (P0735) indicated the car was travelling on a flat road or downhill. It was travelling at 32 kms an hour and going forward. Engine revs were at 1400 RPM.

The time that had elapsed since the engine was started and the first fault message was logged on the car's computer was approximately two and a half minutes.

The second fault was logged (P0731) and it meant 'transmission gear 1 incorrect ratio.' Mr Zanetti said that the car was in first gear but there was 'slippage'. 'Slippage' was explained as what happens if sufficient oil has leaked out of the transmission box that there is not enough pressure to put the car into second gear.

When the car was put up on a hoist Mr Zanetti said that there was a big crack to the bottom of the car. There were scrape marks along the undercarriage and the exhaust was badly damaged. There was also damage to the cross-member. He agreed with the prosecution that fluid leaks out of the transmission when there is damage like this.

He said that leaking oil could flow backwards if the car was travelling at speed and it could end up on the exhaust and would smell strongly because it would get very hot.

The defence asked if there would be a lot of smoke but the witness said there would be more smell than smoke.

The 'Transmission Expert', a Mr Freeman, was not available at the time of the trial...not sure why...so Mr Zanetti could not specifically talk with regard to transmission problems.

I hope this Mr Freeman can be obtained to give his testimony of what happened to Corinne's car that horrible night!

IMO

Ranger Describes Kings Park 'Oil Trail'

To me, this report makes it sound like the vehicle ran over the bollard on the way in to the track, going forward, then reversed back over it, when it came out. Makes more sense than one report I read which made it sound like the car only ran over the bollard as it was reversing.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/14351813/ranger-describes-kings-park-oil-trail/

"Ranger Jason Rabbitt said he noticed the bollard had been damaged on the morning on August 8, 2007 – a day after Mrs Rayney was allegedly murdered.

“You could see tyre tracks that went up the track,” Mr Rabbitt told the WA Supreme Court trial.

“It looked like a vehicle had driven over it, everything was covered in oil,” he said. “The oil trail went up the track, stopped and you could see where it had reversed (and gone) back out.”"

So if LR didn't take it who else at that dinner had a motive for killing Corryn?

Interested in the inebriation suggestions - suggestive they were unable to remember which car they went home in.

Even if they picked up the card it might not mean they killed her. But the card was found before the body was it? If it was found after then it could be someone making sure LR gets convicted. IMO.

So far, nobody else has been shown to have a motive for killing Corinne - and, in my opinion, it would have to be a very callous individual who would kill an innocent woman because he had a grudge against the victim's husband.

It's not out of the question of course as there are some very sick people in the world - however, at this point in time I still find it more likely to believe that Corinne's husband is the killer.

IMO

Ranger Describes Kings Park 'Oil Trail'

To me, this report makes it sound like the vehicle ran over the bollard on the way in to the track, going forward, then reversed back over it, when it came out. Makes more sense than one report I read which made it sound like the car only ran over the bollard as it was reversing.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/14351813/ranger-describes-kings-park-oil-trail/

"Ranger Jason Rabbitt said he noticed the bollard had been damaged on the morning on August 8, 2007 – a day after Mrs Rayney was allegedly murdered.

“You could see tyre tracks that went up the track,” Mr Rabbitt told the WA Supreme Court trial.

“It looked like a vehicle had driven over it, everything was covered in oil,” he said. “The oil trail went up the track, stopped and you could see where it had reversed (and gone) back out.”"

Thanks so much for all your posts YN, all gets curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say. Yes, the slight build of LR will not help the prosecutions case re dragging her single handedly or digging the grave and burying her single handedly, or even having the strength to murder her possibly. And the business of the place card is certainly odd.

What was LR's demeanour during the deliberations, in your view?

Are you planning on attending any more days in court YN?

Mr Rabbitt, oh dear, we just need a looking glass now lol (sick attempt at humour)

Rest in peace Corryn, you did not deserve this,, whatever happened exactly

:twocents:

JMO MOO

So far, nobody else has been shown to have a motive for killing Corinne - and, in my opinion, it would have to be a very callous individual who would kill an innocent woman because he had a grudge against the victim's husband.

It's not out of the question of course as there are some very sick people in the world - however, at this point in time I still find it more likely to believe that Corinne's husband is the killer.

IMO

Agree entirely YN.

:jail:

JMO MOO

Thanks so much for all your posts YN, all gets curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say. Yes, the slight build of LR will not help the prosecutions case re dragging her single handedly or digging the grave and burying her single handedly, or even having the strength to murder her possibly. And the business of the place card is certainly odd.

What was LR's demeanour during the deliberations, in your view?

Are you planning on attending any more days in court YN?

Mr Rabbitt, oh dear, we just need a looking glass now lol (sick attempt at humour)

Rest in peace Corryn, you did not deserve this,, whatever happened exactly

:twocents:

JMO MOO

You're welcome, GG. I appreciate your input too!

Well, before we were let into the court room (I arrived about 15 minutes early) I was sitting outside on waiting benches and saw LR arrive. He looked very relaxed, as if he was attending an ordinary business meeting, rather than a trial where he was the accused.

His facial expression was very similar to the one you've seen him wearing in his recent press photos.

Once the trial began, his expression became impassive. He kept his eyes on the witness but didn't appear to be glaring or malevolent in any way.

The only time I saw him look down for about thirty seconds was when a police officer was testifying about how he (the police officer) came to be shown the place card at Kings Park.

Other than this I didn't see LR flinch, fidget, smile or yawn. He is a very 'cool customer'.

Yes, I hope to be able to attend again when I get another day off. Not sure when that will be though.

IMO

P.S Lol re: Mr Rabbit

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egladva