Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You're welcome, GG. I appreciate your input too!

Well, before we were let into the court room (I arrived about 15 minutes early) I was sitting outside on waiting benches and saw LR arrive. He looked very relaxed, as if he was attending an ordinary business meeting, rather than a trial where he was the accused.

His facial expression was very similar to the one you've seen him wearing in his recent press photos.

Once the trial began, his expression became impassive. He kept his eyes on the witness but didn't appear to be glaring or malevolent in any way.

The only time I saw him look down for about thirty seconds was when a police officer was testifying about how he (the police officer) came to be shown the place card at Kings Park.

Other than this I didn't see LR flinch, fidget, smile or yawn. He is a very 'cool customer'.

Yes, I hope to be able to attend again when I get another day off. Not sure when that will be though.

IMO

P.S Lol re: Mr Rabbit

I wonder what a body language expert would have made of that last moment you described YN?

His coolness, and the truly bizarre smiles, (in my opinion) of LR and his daughters, give the impression they are in posession of some vastly amusing secret knowledge that they have to wait to share. GRRRR

:maddening:

Thanks for your comprehensive reports

JMO MOO

Very funny GG - of course it did not escape my attention that the digging implement the police were seeking could have been Mr Trowell!

Indeed, mouse :floorlaugh:

I wonder what it is about WS that attracts people with twisted (in the nicest possible way of course) senses of humour?

But, not about the offences themselves of course.

:jail::jail:

JMO MOO

I wonder what a body language expert would have made of that last moment you described YN?

His coolness, and the truly bizarre smiles, (in my opinion) of LR and his daughters, give the impression they are in posession of some vastly amusing secret knowledge that they have to wait to share. GRRRR

:maddening:

Thanks for your comprehensive reports

JMO MOO

Yes it's almost as though he has this big card up his sleeve - like a dirt file on the one person who will decide his fate or some star witnesses who will confirm his wonderful character.

I guess the juicier evidence hasn't come out yet about the phone taps, the forensics at the home, the affair, his business dealings, the gambling and the communications Corryn had with friends, her sister and her colleagues.

So far the prosecutions case seems a bit "light on" - does anyone else agree?

That's weird that they didn't make it clear. Doesn't make sense to just assume the judge knows why they are making a point without spelling it out.

The problem with making an argument about LR using the vacant house as part of a murder plan is that the car was only left in Kershaw St because that is where it broke down. If LR planned this murder, it would make more sense to park the car a longer distance from the grave so that the police would be looking in the wrong area for a body (a bit like Allison Baden Clay's missing phone being placed a long way from her body).

There's no reason to assume that anything in Kershaw St was part of a grand murder plan. If it was, then he was very lucky that the car made it there. Also, if he knew that there were that many members of the legal fraternity living in that St, you'd think it would be the last place that he would choose to engage in any type of dubious activity (including driving a very noisy damaged car, breaking into the back yard of a vacant house etc.).

Hi Solaris, my sense is that LR very probably chewed over the idea of murder as a possible way out of his problems as he saw them, for some time, but did not plan anything in detail and that the events of that night were opportunistic for want of a better word.

As a barrister he would be used to thinking on his feet under pressure and I suspect even the burial in Kings Park would have been a decision made on the hop so to speak (sorry, can't seem to get away from rabbits somehow lol)

:twocents:

JMO MOO

Yes it's almost as though he has this big card up his sleeve - like a dirt file on the one person who will decide his fate or some star witnesses who will confirm his wonderful character.

I guess the juicier evidence hasn't come out yet about the phone taps, the forensics at the home, the affair, his business dealings, the gambling and the communications Corryn had with friends, her sister and her colleagues.

So far the prosecutions case seems a bit "light on" - does anyone else agree?

Not sure mouse, I'm sure hoping not. Hopefully they too have a lot up their sleeve.

:moo:

What disturbs me also, is the thought that perhaps LR has admitted his guilt to the girls but convinced them their mother "deserved it" for some reason? Has there ever been a time when the girls have asked anybody to come forward to help find the "real killer"?

:waitasec:

jmo moo

But speaking of facial expressions - one of the witnesses yesterday became rather red in the face and a bit stressed, when speaking about his wife (Webb's wife's name is Lisa Black)and LR's relationship.

Michael John Webb lived in Kershaw Street (I was actually in lift with him on way up to the court room and exchanged a few words with him but didn't know he was a witness until he walked to the stand lol. My impression of him at the time was that he seemed like a pleasant enough guy and mild-mannered. When I compare him to the other lawyers appearing yesterday, Webb seemed like the nicest one.)

Webb was a colleague of LR's and LR had apparently visited Webb's house in Kershaw Street. Webb was the one who was asked about possible gate access to his property. In August 2007 Webb's Kershaw St house was unoccupied.

Anyway, Lisa Black (also a lawyer, surprise surprise!) and Michael Webb's wife, was LR's bridge partner. They used to have a third member in their bridge group but the third member, a man and I can't remember his name, dropped out of the team so LR and Lisa Black used to go to bridge night's together. Corinne didn't go.

I noticed that when Webb spoke of his wife and LR he grew very pink in the face and seemed to have a bit of trouble keeping his composure.

However, neither the prosecution nor the defence probed the relationship between LR and Lisa Black any further than their being bridge partners.

Still, I will be keeping an ear out for more info regarding Lisa Black.

A Max Crisp (another barrister living in Kershaw Street in 2007) was also mentioned several times during yesterday's proceedings and I think he might be another name to listen out for.

JMO

But speaking of facial expressions - one of the witnesses yesterday became rather red in the face and a bit stressed, when speaking about his wife (Webb's wife's name is Lisa Black)and LR's relationship.

Michael John Webb lived in Kershaw Street (I was actually in lift with him on way up to the court room and exchanged a few words with him but didn't know he was a witness until he walked to the stand lol. My impression of him at the time was that he seemed like a pleasant enough guy and mild-mannered. When I compare him to the other lawyers appearing yesterday, Webb seemed like the nicest one.)

Webb was a colleague of LR's and LR had apparently visited Webb's house in Kershaw Street. Webb was the one who was asked about possible gate access to his property. In August 2007 Webb's Kershaw St house was unoccupied.

Anyway, Lisa Black (also a lawyer, surprise surprise!) and Michael Webb's wife, was LR's bridge partner. They used to have a third member in their bridge group but the third member, a man and I can't remember his name, dropped out of the team so LR and Lisa Black used to go to bridge night's together. Corinne didn't go.

I noticed that when Webb spoke of his wife and LR he grew very pink in the face and seemed to have a bit of trouble keeping his composure.

However, neither the prosecution nor the defence probed the relationship between LR and Lisa Black any further than their being bridge partners.

A Max Crisp (another barrister living in Kershaw Street in 2007) was also mentioned several times during yesterday's proceedings and I think he might be another name to listen out for.

JMO

Sorry YN, I must be having a particularly twisted sense of humour day here, but the names in this case just keep getting better and better

Rabbitt, Trowell, Black, Crisp,Webb. Oh dear

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

JMO MOO

Let me reiterate, there is NOTHING funny about Corryn's murder

Sorry YN, I must be having a particularly twisted sense of humour day here, but the names in this case just keep getting better and better

JMO MOO

LOL, yes, just waiting for a Professor Plum to walk in hehe

A couple of comments I found interesting from yesterday's proceedings:

Elizabeth Needham (first barrister, the blond one who was 'The Queen' in Celeb Heads game) said LR took her under his wing, when she first became a barrister. She said something to the effect that the bar was a very competitive or intimidating place when you're new.

Michael Webb also said that LR had taken care of his wife (not his exact words) when Lisa had first entered the bar. As I recall, Webb also said that the bar was a competitive environment.

I wonder if LR was as 'caring' of the new male barristers as he was of these two women?

IMO

A couple of comments I found interesting from yesterday's proceedings:

Elizabeth Needham (first barrister, the blond one who was 'The Queen' in Celeb Heads game) said LR took her under his wing, when she first became a barrister. She said something to the effect that the bar was a very competitive or intimidating place when you're new.

Michael Webb also said that LR had taken care of his wife (not his exact words) when Lisa had first entered the bar. As I recall, Webb also said that the bar was a competitive environment.

I wonder if LR was as 'caring' of the new male barristers as he was of these two women?

IMO

Somehow I suspect not. How cynical of me

The parallels with the GBC case (superficially at least) are amazing

JMO MOO

JMO

Any guesses as to why he may have lost his composure YN?

Also not wanting to be pedantic but I think her name may be Linda Black - just checked the role of certified legal council.

JMO MOO

Let me reiterate, there is NOTHING funny about Corryn's murder

Actually, to be precise it was 'Ranger Rabbitt'. And was the first thing I noticed - how inane I am! Fit in well round here. Lol. Just wondering your nicked if it is easy to get a seat in the public gallery?

Thanks for the inside info, fascinating!!!

YN - I just read this comment on twitter - do you remember what the reference to the waterbed was?

Courtney Bembridge ‏@courtbembridge
a water bed, a game of celebrity heads & a subiaco garbo... second day of evidence in #rayneytrial #perthnews

Actually, to be precise it was 'Ranger Rabbitt'. And was the first thing I noticed - how inane I am! Fit in well round here. Lol. Just wondering your nicked if it is easy to get a seat in the public gallery?

Wonder if there is a Police officer named Keystone?

At least his parents didn't call him Peter, thank heavens (the Ranger)

sorry, I'm a disgrace today, better give myself a time out I think!!

:truce:

JMO MOO

The mind boggles lol

LOL the waterbed reference was not as titillating as it sounds.

Mr Agius, when establishing from Ms Durrant how she came to hear and see the car 'struggling' to get along Thomas Street from her bedroom window, asked her about the position of her bedroom, the position of the windows in the bedroom, the position of the bed and the type of bed she had.

Mr Agius said something like, 'I apologise for getting personal but what kind of bed do you have?'

Ms Durrant replied, unabashed, something like, 'A waterbed. King size.'

Sorry I can't quote verbatim but I couldn't write quickly enough and they don't allow recording devices in the courtroom.

LOL the waterbed reference was not as titillating as it sounds.

Mr Agius, when establishing from Ms Durrant how she came to hear and see the car 'struggling' to get along Thomas Street from her bedroom window, asked her about the position of her bedroom, the position of the windows in the bedroom, the position of the bed and the type of bed she had.

Mr Agius said something like, 'I apologise for getting personal but what kind of bed do you have?'

Ms Durrant replied, unabashed, something like, 'A waterbed. King size.'

Sorry I can't quote verbatim but I couldn't write quickly enough and they don't allow recording devices in the courtroom.

I would love to know the relevance of asking the questions about the type of bed this woman sleeps in!!

Any guesses as to why he may have lost his composure YN?

Also not wanting to be pedantic but I think her name may be Linda Black - just checked the role of certified legal council.

Yes, I'm sure you're correct re: the names, mousedetective! The volume in that room wasn't too loud and I was just writing what I heard at the time.

Whatever the names are in the press reports will be correct!

As for Webb and his loss of composure...I'm wondering about LR's alleged affairs..

Am waiting to see if more is revealed about Linda Black and LR.

I do recall reading something in press today about LR having visited Webb & Black's Kershaw St residence 'numerous times'. I have to go out now though so no time to get the link. Will do later, if nobody else has found it :)

Just speculation on my part, is all...as her name was mentioned several times yesterday yet she wasn't called as a witness.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back