Found Deceased Australia - Gary Tweddle, 23, Blue Mountains NSW, 16 July 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So Isabel, do you think that could be why he was in the bush? He was on the road and thought hey I could get there quicker if I went through the bush?

I totally get that, alcohol can make you feel upto a challenge you wouldn't consider in the cold light of day. Feeling fab and bulletproof, saying hell yeah I can get back if I just jog through here.

Just catching up.
Gotta remember Gary was aiming for lights on a hill, in whatever state he was in - which we presume was altered somehow through alcohol or something else. In the way he was thinking, not rationally, he sees that light, pushes through the bush and starts to slide.
Honestly, the last thing that occurs to you is that you're going to go off the edge of a cliff! You might think you're just sliding down a slope and you'll find something to hold onto.

It's me who runs this area a few times a week btw. I can totally see how he could see that light and not think that there was a huge valley in between him and it because of lack of rational thought . Starts sliding and bingo, just slips off the edge. It's pitch black - and you're gone.

RSBM

Thanks Isabellnecessary. There are a couple of local runners here then, because this is the post (from Thread Two) that I was referring to about the poster who said there was a light on a hill right on Sublime Point Road.

09-05-2013, 11:40 PM
akaracquel

Quote:
Felt like relaying some numbers in light that it might assist others with getting a feel for distance & time. Running the entire length of Sublime Point Rd (from Watkins Rd cnr to the carpark, 1.74km?) takes me about 13min, maybe 11min if I push hard. I'm not an athlete / don't sprint, running speed ranges 7.5-10km/hr.

The route along the main road is predominantly plateau. There's only one noticeable hill on Sublime Point Rd, which starts shortly after Willoughby Rd (heading towards the lookout). There's bush/scrub on either side of it and there is a street light towards the peak of this hill, which did look like an isolated beacon to my eye at night. I could picture myself describing it as "lost in the bush but near a main road" there. Running from Watkins Rd cnr to the beginning of this hill would take me 6 minutes.

Created my routes for hill workouts specifically in that area - but all the other road-based inclines I can think of surrounding the resort are residential areas.

Totally.

Plus you might think you're going to get drugs (what if there was no drugs, no meet up, just some random idea in his head?) and then ten minutes later, depending on substance, you have another 'great' idea...
And then you're lost because you have no idea about the passage of time... you call your friends and tell them you're lost but you're aiming for lights on a hill...

It happens to us all when we're completely sober. I regularly go from one room to another and forgot just why the heck I'm there and what it is I want. :S

I can imagine that sort of hyper thing happening with Gary. He was running and the friends thought he was 'jumping over things' ... so obviously he's mentally going faster than he should be...
Perhaps he forgot why he'd originally gone out. Suddenly he's in the bush and he's thinking Bear Grylls and all his outdoor training...
And then he's just up the road from the North Face run because the bush there is the start of it, marked with yellow ribbons on the trees and bushes. Perhaps he saw one of those and felt he knew where he was...

Next minute there's some lights. Rational thought, aim for the lights.
Irrational to us, to someone in an altered state, completely reasonable.

Folks we do not do family members facebook.

It's fine if you want to go there & read it but we're not going to post about it or discuss it on WS. Please leave all that out of the threads here.

Just wanted to let you know -
I have now taken the WS tribute at Sublime Point Road down from the tree where it was placed. It still looked bright and colourful, and I thought that's the best time to do this, I didn't want it to be a sad reminder of what had passed. People had lovingly and respectfully added messages to the ribbon, and I have them all safely kept. A deep and heartfelt Thank-you to everyone who contributed and added their beautiful thoughts and appreciation to the tribute and to the thread.
A chapter has closed now and a new day begins.
:heart:

Thank you, FigTree, a perfectly appropriate length of time for the tribute to be there in all its beautiful glory. And how wonderful that others added to the tribute and were enabled a place to express their kind thoughts for Gary and his loved ones.

Sublime Point needs to completely return to a place of outstanding beauty for all to view, without any shadows. And this fine young man will be remembered lovingly in their hearts by all who care.

yes it sounds like he was in a dark mood at the meal, maybe heard something earlier which upset him, needed to take something to numb him through the formalities at the restaurant.

Note as well that it was mentioned, that he was the second youngest employee and belongs to the top 1% of the high achievers. So this means that his colleagues maybe outside his "age range" and possibly some of them he may have just met or just work acquaintances.

This might explain why he is somewhat reserved. Then again, this does not justify him being "wobbly" (as described by Silks employees, or "wasted" as described by the taxi driver.

We need to consider, though, that these definitions vary from person to person and subject to interpretation.

Note as well that it was mentioned, that he was the second youngest employee and belongs to the top 1% of the high achievers. So this means that his colleagues maybe outside his "age range" and possibly some of them he may have just met or just work acquaintances.

This might explain why he is somewhat reserved. Then again, this does not justify him being "wobbly" (as described by Silks employees, or "wasted" as described by the taxi driver.

We need to consider, though, that these definitions vary from person to person and subject to interpretation.

2nd youngest doesn't mean much, 6 months to 3yrs older in age could make up half of the group and it's not a big age difference.

HAL in the first thread you mentioned the 'supermoon', full moons are well known to make people a tad crazy, how bout a super moon???

Hundreds Of Oracle's Most Experienced Salespeople Have Quit — Or Want To

For the past two years, experienced salespeople have been leaving Oracle in droves, unhappy with tough sales quotas that stem, in part, from Oracle’s acquisition of Sun Microsystems, current and former Oracle employees have told Business Insider.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/oracle-loses-experienced-salespeople-2013-7

Meet The Woman Charged With Transforming Oracle's Sales Force

Her first task is to educate the 440 college grads Oracle just hired to sell its cloud.
This week, they completed Week 1 of an immersive, 10-week training program. They live on campus and learn everything from business fundamentals to advanced sales techniques.
After that, they’ll be handed a bonus for graduating, and a quota, and be sent off into the world to find new cloud customers. They’ll officially be part of Oracle’s direct sales team, she said.
This is different from how Oracle used to treated entry-level salespeople. College grads worked on lead generation and handed off leads to more experienced salespeople to close deals.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/j...-with-transforming-oracles-sales-force-2013-7

A bit of a different way to look at things …

How happy was Gary in his job? Did he want to move on? Did he feel pressured to stay? He was at a work conference. Did he even want to be there? Is this why he was 'quiet' and 'wobbly'?

The above two articles are very telling about the current vibe at Oracle worldwide.

A bit of a different way to look at things …

How happy was Gary in his job? Did he want to move on? Did he feel pressured to stay? He was at a work conference. Did he even want to be there? Is this why he was 'quiet' and 'wobbly'?

The above two articles are very telling about the current vibe at Oracle worldwide.

This is JMO, but I do get the impression that Gary enjoyed his work and was a valued employee. The turn out at his funeral attests to that. I'm sure Gary was very enthusiastic in his job but I wouldnt be surprised if being so young (and brilliant at the same time) wrought a different kind of challenge upon him: he was self assured and very personable, but when clients actually met him in person, they may well have been taken aback by how young the confident sounding person over the phone is, in person. Perhaps that was a source of some kind of 'pressure' for him...

2nd youngest doesn't mean much, 6 months to 3yrs older in age could make up half of the group and it's not a big age difference.

HAL in the first thread you mentioned the 'supermoon', full moons are well known to make people a tad crazy, how bout a super moon???

Do agree with this, though, too. Gary would surely not have been second youngest by far. So many young looking colleagues at his funeral, he would not have stood out wildly from most of them. And the IT arena is well known for employing, even preferring, young people!

This is JMO, but I do get the impression that Gary enjoyed his work and was a valued employee. The turn out at his funeral attests to that. I'm sure Gary was very enthusiastic in his job but I wouldnt be surprised if being so young (and brilliant at the same time) wrought a different kind of challenge upon him: he was self assured and very personable, but when clients actually met him in person, they may well have been taken aback by how young the confident sounding person over the phone is, in person. Perhaps that was a source of some kind of 'pressure' for him...

I haven't actually read anything that shows that he enjoyed his job. He was popular, yes, but enjoy his job ... questionable IMO. Achieving in the top 1% of a dismal company sales result may not be that much of a personal achievement. And it is difficult to work in a company that is struggling for market share and has many unhappy employees (as the articles state).

With his father's position, and others in the family also employed by Oracle in the UK, he may have felt pressure to soldier on, but I wonder if that was what a vibrant 23-year old with his whole life ahead of him wanted to do. Lot of potential pressure for a young man IMO.

Hey Humdinger, the "Supermoon" was on June 23- so a bit over 3 weeks before Gary was last seen.

Not sure about the lunacy factor, and it wasn't a full moon at the time. I made mention of it just as an indication of what kind of ambient light there may have been when he was out there wandering about lost. The moon was somewhere between a quarter to a third that night, but I thought it would still be larger than usual (and because of that reflecting more light).

I think the full moon in June was something like 10 percent larger than it is generally.

My guess on the physics was that the moon must take some time to wane from its closest orbit, so would've still been a bit bigger in the sky and therefore reflecting more light than normal. I might have it wrong though. The next "Supermoon" is in August 2014.

I think it was FigTree who commented that the moon was particularly bright up there in the days after Gary went missing.

Hey Humdinger, the "Supermoon" was on June 23- so a bit over 3 weeks before Gary was last seen.

Not sure about the lunacy factor, and it wasn't a full moon at the time. I made mention of it just as an indication of what kind of ambient light there may have been when he was out there wandering about lost. The moon was somewhere between a quarter to a third that night, but I thought it would still be larger than usual (and because of that reflecting more light).

I think the full moon in June was something like 10 percent larger than it is generally.

My guess on the physics was that the moon must take some time to wane from its closest orbit, so would've still been a bit bigger in the sky and therefore reflecting more light than normal. I might have it wrong though. The next "Supermoon" is in August 2014.

I think it was FigTree who commented that the moon was particularly bright up there in the days after Gary went missing.

The gravitational changes continue for some weeks following a supermoon/perigee-syzygy, according to scientists.

http://www.moonconnection.com/apogee_perigee.phtml

With his father's position, and others in the family also employed by Oracle in the UK, he may have felt pressure to soldier on, but I wonder if that was what a vibrant 23-year old with his whole life ahead of him wanted to do. Lot of potential pressure for a young man IMO.

Good point SouthAussie...many young people often take on employment in their younger years because it's a means to an end at that particular time of their life.I wonder how many of us are still in the same field by choice as we were in during our early 20's.The lure of the $$$ is also very strong in younger generations-many want it all... and now!!Great car, nice residence, cool clothes, fabulous holidays, money to "party" on weekends etc.So many get caught up in maintaining a "lifestyle" but are they really doing what they yearn to??? I believe so many people feel genuinely "trapped" in their lives which in turn can lead to depressive illnesses & the like.The "pressure" in any sales role involving quotas is extreme,even more so for the "topguns" because it becomes an expectation.

The gravitational changes continue for some weeks following a supermoon/perigee-syzygy, according to scientists.

http://www.moonconnection.com/apogee_perigee.phtml

For anyone else interested there were actually three supermoon cycles in 2013 (May/June/July). The moon was closest in June, but still bigger and brighter for the full moon on July 22.

For June's full moon, the moon was at the closest point to earth for the year. Two weeks later the moon had swung away to its furthest point away from the earth for the year. By the July full moon it had swung back again to the next closest point for 2013.

Due to the moon being closer to earth and its alignment with the sun, there are larger than normal tides at these times. There is plenty of information out there on how this may also affect or influence living creatures.

For anyone else interested there were actually three supermoon cycles in 2013 (May/June/July). The moon was closest in June, but still bigger and brighter for the full moon on July 22.

For June's full moon, the moon was at the closest point to earth for the year. Two weeks later the moon had swung away to its furthest point away from the earth for the year. By the July full moon it had swung back again to the next closest point for 2013.

Due to the moon being closer to earth and its alignment with the sun, there are larger than normal tides at these times. There is plenty of information out there on how this may also affect or influence living creatures.

I dunno, a super moon doesn't seem to mean too much, apart from affecting tides, in effect. I found a few wives-tales (& husband's tales) about it's effects on humans but nothing substantial, no greater effects of lunacy than normal moons eg apparent time that parasites hatch in humans and animals so causing agitation.

Re brightness. I don't know how the increase in brightness would have impacted on visibility on July 16? Seems like prob nil:-

"That made the moon about 14 percent wider and 30 percent brighter than it would be if the full moon came at the farthest point in its orbit.

The effect itself isn't necessarily that super-duper, which led some experts to scoff at the phenomenon. "The perennially hyped name 'Super Moon' insults the legacy of Superman, Super Volcanoes, Supernovae, and even Super Mario," Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of New York's Hayden Planetarium, complained in a tweet. He noted that calling this weekend's full moon "super" would be like calling a 13-inch pizza super in comparison with a 12-inch pizza."
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/look-back-supermoon-look-forward-future-sky-wonders-6C10431639

But this one differs "I did the calculation and found that it was 25.9 percent brighter. Not quite 30 percent......................That, incidentally, corresponds to a ridiculously small increase of just 0.25 of a magnitude......And yet, a friend of mine told me that she was expecting the June supermoon to look radically brighter: "Like with those 3-way light bulbs," she said. "I thought it was going to be like turning the moonlight up a notch."

I wouldn't be surprised if that was what many were expecting to see last month. But so far, as full moons are concerned, an increase of 0.25 magnitude is hardly perceptible to the eye if at all."
http://www.space.com/22025-supermoon-2013-full-moon-myths.html

I kept a weather report happening on thread one in the beginning
I do remember the moons brightness at the time he went missing. It was LED bright. And I didn't need my outdoor sensor light to see what I was doing. I'm not sure why it was so dazzling - but the mountains does get to see some amazing night time skys. So good we have an Observatory up here on the ridge where the telephone tower is. The sky hasn't got the smog.
On the 20th the weather was 'clouds racing over a bright moon' - not that pictures do it any justice ;)

Night Sky Katoomba 20th July

I kept a weather report happening on thread one in the beginning
I do remember the moons brightness at the time he went missing. It was LED bright. And I didn't need my outdoor sensor light to see what I was doing. I'm not sure why it was so dazzling - but the mountains does get to see some amazing night time skys. So good we have an Observatory up here on the ridge where the telephone tower is. The sky hasn't got the smog.
On the 20th the weather was 'clouds racing over a bright moon' - not that pictures do it any justice ;)

Night Sky Katoomba 20th July

Figtree, your experience would carry more weight than the theorizing of scientific moon pundits as far as I'm concerned .... because you were, in practice, experiencing how it was to function outside under the moon and close-ish to GT in time and space.

I wonder though, whether you were outside at the same time as GT? Did clouds set in across the moon on the 16th?

(The Kings Tableland Observatory in Wentworth Falls is great. Is it still open to the public? The guy who was running it died about 4-5 years ago. I presume it changed hands. It had fabulously clear projected images from the telescope, dotted around the white walls of a room.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee
Back