Australia Australia - Jenny Cook, 29, Townsville, Qld, 19 Jan 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm thinking that evidence wasn't preserved because of the hasty suicide finding, which in turn suited the lack of investigation. I guess they can't keep materials from every suicide and accidental death - so determining that Jenny's death was simply a suicide, and totally ignoring other evidence and usual police protocols (you'd think) were serious errors.
Even if powers that be deemed that this case was handled incorrectly and they now suspected murder, I wonder how they could proceed without any evidence at all??

Understand what you're saying, Catwhiskers and yes, it was a hasty and convenient finding of suicide, wasn't it. Who signed off on that, I wonder. Which senior officer gave the ok to release the scene, was so thick as to see nothing suspicious, after which, shuffled along to Subway or something. I'm still shocked and infuriated on behalf of Jenny Cook whom I regard as a victim

Although material evidence was allegedly destroyed, information such as that posted above by Ausgirl, re: the conflicting claims by PC as compared with that of co-worker Maderline Ronan, the disputed email to the computer shop and the rest, you would think it sufficient to re-open the case at least, particularly if the public voiced sufficient concern (?)

I'm thinking that evidence wasn't preserved because of the hasty suicide finding, which in turn suited the lack of investigation. I guess they can't keep materials from every suicide and accidental death - so determining that Jenny's death was simply a suicide, and totally ignoring other evidence and usual police protocols (you'd think) were serious errors.
Even if powers that be deemed that this case was handled incorrectly and they now suspected murder, I wonder how they could proceed without any evidence at all??

To destroy the weapon was a huuuge mistake. Even in my mums case of suicide they still had evidence stored three years later!!

Lots of people get put away without a weapon on evidence - heck, some get sentenced even without a body.

I do feel there's a case here. If only some proper, non-corrupt cops would take it up...

As for the non-identified girlfriend (NFIP):

The NIFP told Ms Ronan that she was spending a lot of time with Mr Cook subsequent to Ms Cook’s death and that he told her that he could give her a better life than her current partner. However, a few months after Ms Cook’s death the NIFP told Ms Ronan that Mr Cook was stalking her and would not leave her alone. Shortly after that Ms Ronan heard that Mr Cook had moved to Brisbane

-- Apparently he got quite nasty and abusive with her. I wonder if she's the one who moved in with him a few months after Jenny died?

To destroy the weapon was a huuuge mistake. Even in my mums case of suicide they still had evidence stored three years later!!

Oh Oddsocks, I'm so sorry

Thank you though for the information re: maintaining of evidence in such cases

Thank you for that info regarding what happens in an uncorrupted case!!

And I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. Much love to you Oddsocks :rose:

Lots of people get put away without a weapon on evidence - heck, some get sentenced even without a body.

I do feel there's a case here. If only some proper, non-corrupt cops would take it up...

The NIFP told Ms Ronan that she was spending a lot of time with Mr Cook subsequent to Ms Cook’s death and that he told her that he could give her a better life than her current partner. However, a few months after Ms Cook’s death the NIFP told Ms Ronan that Mr Cook was stalking her and would not leave her alone. Shortly after that Ms Ronan heard that Mr Cook had moved to Brisbane

-- Apparently he got quite nasty and abusive with her. I wonder if she's the one who moved in with him a few months after Jenny died?

I haven't read that about him stalking etc....do you mind posting the link so I can go look. The NIFP is a mysterious, but important, figure in all of this IMO.

bbm

I agree, Ausgirl

GBC was convicted on circumstantial evidence (no weapon, not even conclusive cause of death) as we've just seen

As to PC -- another baby-face charmer (not)

bbm

I agree, Ausgirl

GBC was convicted on circumstantial evidence (no weapon, not even conclusive cause of death) as we've just seen

As to PC -- another baby-face charmer (not)

Well, I feel better about the whole thing being able to move forward! Thanks Sleuthers!!:seeya:

I do feel there's a case here. If only some proper, non-corrupt cops would take it up

Ausgirl, yes. Wonder why it wasn't taken up? Would have reflected badly on Qld police, perhaps? Was construed as damaging the public's faith in Qld policing? Cheaper, more convenient, less damaging and possibly mates looking after mates, so it was decided to let sleeping dogs lie?

What would it take to put this on the 'to do' list of Qld police? Media spotlight? Public noise?

Wonder how many times this sort of thing occurs?

I have worked with many adolescents who are 'cutters'. Self-harm is very different to attempting suicide or even wanting to die. They cut to relieve emotional pressure - often these people are feeling great emotional pain (or conversely they are feeling numb) and the cutting of their flesh is like an outlet for them to vent emotion. It's hard to explain as it doesn't necessarily 'make sense' to people who aren't into self-harm. I have helped many a teenager clean up after cutting - it's not about wanting to die at all.

Obviously, I'm not aware of the ins and outs of Jenny's psychological state - but if she was cutting as a form of self harm, it doesn't mean she's in any way going to impale herself on a knife to die. JMO.

I am no expert but I have always understood cutting to be an attempt to replace emotional pain with physical pain which can be easier to deal with.

I'm jumping all over the place here. Something else that struck me as odd was that PC said he noticed a knife was missing from the block sometime after he supposedly got home that evening - seems a strange thing to notice and mention up front. My knife block could be empty and I wouldn't notice until I went to use one of them - I sure wouldn't notice when I came in and dropped my handbag on the kitchen bench after work.

I am no expert but I have always understood cutting to be an attempt to replace emotional pain with physical pain which can be easier to deal with.

Ah, you said it so succinctly!! Spot on!

Bottom line - it's all about emotional release, not suicide.

I'm jumping all over the place here. Something else that struck me as odd was that PC said he noticed a knife was missing from the block sometime after he supposedly got home that evening - seems a strange thing to notice and mention up front. My knife block could be empty and I wouldn't notice until I went to use one of them - I sure wouldn't notice when I came in and dropped my handbag on the kitchen bench after work.

Catswhiskers -- odd alright. Too odd. Seems PC could have said and done anything he chose .. would have made no difference. Suicide. Here's your house and crime scene back. Sorry we couldn't release it faster than twenty hours

Super suspicious.

Not just noticed the knife missing -- noticed, had a vast pang of concern for his wife's safety -- and then unloaded the dishwasher. :notgood:

Isis, eating my spag bol dinner atm, will post links after! Omnom...

The weapon has been described as a 'shiv', also described as similar to a prison weapon. How would something like that not be out of place in a household knife block, does anyone know?

Ausgirl, yes. Wonder why it wasn't taken up? Would have reflected badly on Qld police, perhaps? Was construed as damaging the public's faith in Qld policing? Cheaper, more convenient, less damaging and possibly mates looking after mates, so it was decided to let sleeping dogs lie?

What would it take to put this on the 'to do' list of Qld police? Media spotlight? Public noise?

Wonder how many times this sort of thing occurs?

I've even had a bit of a quick google to see if there was anything noteworthy going on in Townsville around the time of Jenny's death. Looking for some reason that the police might have been too busy or preoccupied - some excuse for why her case was dealt with so hastily and carelessly.

I have an enormous amount of respect for our police forces here in Australia btw. Someone dropped the ball here though - either through incompetence or something shady going on.

My husband was just saying that he spent time in Nth Qld about twelve years ago - and that it was like being in another country. He said the police were like a law unto themselves up there - and it really was like places used to be in the earlier part of last century. His words: 'Redneck Wonderland'.

And I've got several friends who were hassled repeatedly by police up there as they travelled through because they looked alternative (dreadlocks, tattoos). Really old-school. One of my friends got seriously beaten up by them for being 'lippy' for asking why the police pulled him over. He was genuinely terrified he was going to get killed.

No wonder they're keeping everything hush-hush. They've evidently been able to do whatever they want for a LONG time!

NB I know there must be decent cops up there as well - I am speaking in generalisations, obviously

I've even had a bit of a quick google to see if there was anything noteworthy going on in Townsville around the time of Jenny's death. Looking for some reason that the police might have been too busy or preoccupied - some excuse for why her case was dealt with so hastily and carelessly.

I have an enormous amount of respect for our police forces here in Australia btw. Someone dropped the ball here though - either through incompetence or something shady going on.

Catswhiskers, unlike you, I haven't researched it, although there were two (?) murders of international students in Townsville that I remember. Don't know if the dates coincide though

Something shady like protecting one or two of their own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back