GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen any article that says the homicide squad is in on the investigation because they think she is dead... rather they have said that they can find no physical evidence of foul play.

I agree that someone had to see something... the bar however, did not have cctv unfortunately (there is a link upstream)
I can't believe there isn't video from another business. It looks like she passed as many as 50 shops/bars/restaurants if she walked along Sydney Rd to Hope St.

Detective Inspector John Potter, from the homicide squad, said he feared Mrs Meagher, who works as a unit co-ordinator at ABC Radio in Melbourne, had met with foul play.

"We haven’t found anything physical [to suggest violence] but the very circumstances of the case are worrying, so as a result of that, today the homicide squad missing person's unit have taken over the case. We're hopeful for the best obviously, but we have some concerns that she may have met with foul play," he said.
http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/me...akes-over-hunt-for-missing-woman/2625348.aspx

Ok a new hinky -

the husband said she left her purse at home that night, but Police have just found it thrown away near the abduction site.

This article also confirms the "foul play" suspicions held by police.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-...tinues-in-abc-worker27s-disappearance/4278440

ETA - how do they "know" where the abduction site is? I see they have crime scene tape around an alley.

maybe he didn't realize she took it with her? Either way the rules about the husband are bumped up: he is considered a victim until otherwise named a suspect by law enforcement. Thus: no sleuthing or speculation about the husband.

We can still discuss what he's told reporters though right?

Either way, there is now the curiosity of the purse that was apparently not missing, yet has been found.

It raises a question - perhaps she went home after work, and dropped her purse off, then went back out again, maybe with a different purse that her husband didn't know about.

That would be something I would do...admittedly for a special night out though, not just after work drinks with colleagues.

:dunno:

The toxic waste dump at tullamarine is not easily accessed and has been sealed.

If she has been murdered and dumped, there is no real obvious place she could be. That's a pretty dense urban spot with lots of skips (dumpsters) but drive for 20 minutes and it's way more open. There is Merri Creek. If she isn't in the immediate vicinity she will be north to north/west. Possibly around the airport if it is someone who hasn't lived here long.

I have not seen any article that says the homicide squad is in on the investigation because they think she is dead... rather they have said that they can find no physical evidence of foul play.

I agree that someone had to see something... the bar however, did not have cctv unfortunately (there is a link upstream)

I believe the homicide squad is used for these cases because of the kind of investigation it is, needing many detectives and forensic analysts etc. They don't necessarily have to believe there's been a murder. It's unfortunate for family's in a time of crisis to have to hear that name.

The toxic waste dump at tullamarine is not easily accessed and has been sealed.

If she has been murdered and dumped, there is no real obvious place she could be. That's a pretty dense urban spot with lots of skips (dumpsters) but drive for 20 minutes and it's way more open. There is Merri Creek. If she isn't in the immediate vicinity she will be north to north/west. Possibly around the airport if it is someone who hasn't lived here long.

How on earth do you know that?

There are plenty of parks and private gardens around, she could be in any one of those, indeed locked in anyone's shed or house, still alive and very ticked off.

I hope.

Jmo but I think it's too early to start blaming the husband. Tonight on the news he looked defeated, his eyes were popping out of his head. I think that we need to remember that everyone deals with stressful situations differently. Having sudden media swamped in your face can be a rather daunting ordeal, and not everyone responds to it in the same way. Bless this family, seems like they have gone through to much tragedy recently.

Although I said that the husband looked suspicious in the first interview I watched, he certainly looked genuinely devastated in other interviews that I've watched since.

I believe the homicide squad is used for these cases because of the kind of investigation it is, needing many detectives and forensic analysts etc. They don't necessarily have to believe there's been a murder. It's unfortunate for family's in a time of crisis to have to hear that name.

The "homicide squad" works within the CID...a sub-branch.

It is the CID that has the detectives and forensic abilities...as you know we have far, far more generic crime in Australia than we do murders.

Homicide is exclusively for persons who are assumed to be deceased.

I'm confused! I woke up this morning and had lots of pages to catch up on . Obviously there have been lots of mod snips overnight. I looked back at a previous post of mine that had been snipped stating that I had mentioned the dress. I just wanted to clarify that I had not in fact mentioned the dress!! Back to lurking!

How on earth do you know that?

There are plenty of parks and private gardens around, she could be in any one of those, indeed locked in anyone's shed or house, still alive and very ticked off.

I hope.

I should have qualified it. By immediate vicitinty I meant local parks etc. But if a body has been dumped in more open space the quickest fast roads out go north (sydney rd/hume hwy) or to the north/west (ring road, tulla fwy) as the urban sprawl ends earlier to the north and north/west than any other direction.

Although I said that the husband looked suspicious in the first interview I watched, he certainly looked genuinely devastated in other interviews that I've watched since.

Affect means nothing on its own.

You can judge absolutely nothing from it, in isolation. Some people may be screaming inside but look as cool as cucumber.

I should have qualified it. By immediate vicitinty I meant local parks etc. But if a body has been dumped in more open space the quickest fast roads out go north (sydney rd/hume hwy) or to the north/west (ring road, tulla fwy) as the urban sprawl ends earlier to the north and north/west than any other direction.

She could be in the Yarra.

There are a million places to hide a body in plain sight.

We had a memorable case in SA where the murderer actually hid his victim in the bushes outside a police station right in the middle of town. It took days before they found her.

:(

Has this article been linked about other attempts? I think it might be one of those constantly updated articles (they annoy me!)

WOMEN have reported shocking abduction attempts in the vicinity of where Brunswick woman Jill Meagher vanished at the weekend.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tr...tes-in-brunswick/story-fnat7jnn-1226479708333

Further up thread someone wrote about the rare incidents of abductions in Australia in general which leads to a sense of safety. What really bugs me is there is a lot of abduction or assault attempts. I got into a back and forth with a friend over this issue, in regards to kids' safety. That actual abductions seem rare but I read of attempts pretty frequently. Maybe the attempts are abduction per se which we associate with someone being taken and murdered, but sexual assault attempts.

If people are writing about experiences on FB that haven't been reported to police that's very upsetting. It's one thing to make a decision to walk home with an accurate idea of what's been happening in the area, quite another to be unaware of what's been going on :(

We saw the same thing on the Elizabeth Collins/Lyric Cook thread.

All of a sudden there were multiple "abduction attempts" in Iowa.

Most turned out to be either misunderstandings, publicity seeking, or people with other agendas.

The thing to remember is that IF Jill was abducted, it was successful.

The other "attempts" are just that, attempts, which means they were UNsuccessful.

It is a huge leap for me to go from an attempted abduction to a successful one, especially when the successful one occurs with no witnesses at all.

It speaks of an organised offender vs a disorganised offender...two entirely different scenarios.

Of course, opinion only.

Affect means nothing on its own.

You can judge absolutely nothing from it, in isolation. Some people may be screaming inside but look as cool as cucumber.

Like me - always!

A great fictional book to read, regarding this is a classic by Camus - The Stranger. The character's mother dies and he is suspected of foul play because of his affect.

Ok a new hinky -

the husband said she left her purse at home that night, but Police have just found it thrown away near the abduction site.

This article also confirms the "foul play" suspicions held by police.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-...tinues-in-abc-worker27s-disappearance/4278440

ETA - how do they "know" where the abduction site is? I see they have crime scene tape around an alley.

Purse and handbag are two very different and distinct items. A purse is what you carry your money and cards in, also called a wallet. A handbag is a carry all for everything, including a purse, makeup, phone, cigarettes and any other junk us women carry.
The statement by her husband that she left her purse home suggests that she returned home from work before venturing out. (Her husband was still at his work). She then took her credit card out of her purse, leaving the purse and put the card in her handbag, together with phone etc. Not unusual to do, as having 3 daughters, I know they do the same, taking minimal cash with them, as one credit card is sufficient. It was the handbag which was found, together with the credit card inside it.
The confusion re this is to do with terminology, and I think it is very unfair to impute anything other than profound concern and devastation to the husband's demeanour. Just my opinion.

I think it's strange that Jill's bag was found but not the phone. Think about it. The phone may contain incriminating information - i.e. texts to her husband about someone making her uncomfortable at the pub (or similar).

If it were a random attack, I'm sure the phone would be in her bag or found within the vicinity of the bag. What does an unknown perp have to hide in relation to the phone. Someone known to Jill however ............:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shachio8485