GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for not posting a link - at work on my phone

Police now saying they believe the handbag was not there on Sunday and was planted

I thought it was odd noone had noticed it earlier...

Same here, I thought it was strange about it not being found earlier.

They are an Irish couple, I wonder what the vernacular is in Ireland re purse v handbag.

MOO

i'm from Ireland ... to us a purse is a small cash carrier (we also carry cards in) and a handbag a small or large bag ...a man would have a wallet ...i never heard a women call it a wallet ...hope that helps:seeya:

Although I said that the husband looked suspicious in the first interview I watched, he certainly looked genuinely devastated in other interviews that I've watched since.

I thought he looked a bit together in the interview I saw but havent seen any others.

Go to Ebay Australia.

Search for "ladies purses".

You will get a bunch of HANDBAGS.

I rest my case too...FWIW.

:dunno:

Lol. The purse/wallet/handbag debate has me laughing. You know we are desperate for more leads to follow/investigate when the last 20 posts are dedicated to regional definitions of women's accessories. This group will definitely be on top of anything that comes up. Jill is lucky to have you all looking for answers! Moo

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-25/meagher-facebook-reports/4278772

Updated 14 minutes ago

Homicide detectives are investigating whether the handbag of missing Melbourne woman Jill Meagher was planted by someone involved in her disappearance.

Detective Inspector John Potter says police had already thoroughly searched the same area.

"There's two options, either police in the original search missed the bag or the bag has since been placed at that laneway after the police searched it originally," he said.

"This morning there was a handbag located in a laneway off Hope Street in Brunswick, and we've confirmed that some of the contents belong to Jillian," Detective Inspector John Potter from the homicide squad told ABC Local Radio this morning.
Detective Inspector Potter later warned against rumours appearing on social media about a phone call to Ms Meagher's brother.
"I think there's been a bit of confusion over that phone call, we've spoken to the brother certainly and the subject of their discussion was over the health of their father, who I understand is in poor health," says Inspector Potter.

"I spoke to her on the phone before I left work Friday at 5 o'clock. She was in good spirits, she was going out and she was happy. I also got a text message from her at a quarter to ten," says Thomas Meagher.
He says she has walked home that way 'plenty of times'.
"It's the way we normally walk home," says Thomas.

He says the end of the weekend and the opening of more businesses in the area will assist with ongoing efforts to source any CCTV vision of the night and checking credit card transations.
"We've canvassed what we could on the weekend, hopefully today, once we've had a lot more businesses open we'll be able to make a lot further inquiries today," he says.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/09/24/3596295.htm

Victoria Police Detective Inspector John Potter says police are going through a large number of Crime Stoppers calls in their bid to locate ABC employee Jill Meagher, who disappeared after drinks with colleagues at Brunswick's Bar Etiquette in the early hours of Saturday.

A number of women have also come forward through a Facebook page, set up to find Ms Meagher, to tell of recent scares in the same area, including an alleged attempt by a man to pull a woman into a car.

Det Insp Potter stressed that while the claims were 'a line of inquiry we're following', many had not been reported to police.

'We're actually asking people to make sure they contact Crime Stoppers if they think they have anything they would like to offer,' he told the Nine Network on Tuesday.

'We have to be meticulous here rather than jump to conclusions.'

Police are also urging people not to walk the streets alone at night.

'People should be cautious about where they walk at night ... they should walk in groups, take a cab and so forth,' he said.
http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=798816

The back end of any search engine, Google, Yahoo, Ebays engine will always pick up synonyms of purses, handbags, wallets etc...

Until the Police release information, none of us will really know what was said, wheat was meant etc...

I love semantics

Lol. The purse/wallet/handbag debate has me laughing. You know we are desperate for more leads to follow/investigate when the last 20 posts are dedicated to regional definitions of women's accessories. This group will definitely be on top of anything that comes up. Jill is lucky to have you all looking for answers! Moo

Yeah. well. Unfortunately often it's down a path we cannot go.

It seems definite it is Jills handbag/purse they have found.

Did she go to drinks straight from work, or did she go home first...that is the important question to me at this stage.

What I mean by this is, if she went straight from work she would have maybe had a briefcase as well as a handbag.

I believe she must've gone home first, or else how else did her husband know she just had her card and phone?

Clearly her handbag was not in the house so he didn't know that way. If she went straight from work, common sense dictates she had her handbag with her. If she went home and dropped it off, did he see or speak to her? Or just see her WALLET on the table and assume she'd gone out with no handbag either?

The fact that the handbag was found with other bits and pieces in it identifying it as Jills, implies to me that the handbag was like most womens, a carry around catch all that she'd be lost without.

She would also not take the handbag without the wallet IMO.

Every woman knows that bankcards can be disabled by magnets and most ladies handbags are fastened with magnets (obviously a man designed that one) so you cannot leave a bankcard lying in a handbag or it will not work if it brushes against the magnet.

So....I doubt that she took her handbag but no wallet. Personally.

Haha I'm a 24 year old girl from Melbourne and always called my purse my wallet and so have all my girlfriends, maybe it's the generations gaps?

Yeah. well. Unfortunately often it's down a path we cannot go.

It seems definite it is Jills handbag/purse they have found.

Did she go to drinks straight from work, or did she go home first...that is the important question to me at this stage.

What I mean by this is, if she went straight from work she would have maybe had a briefcase as well as a handbag.

I believe she must've gone home first, or else how else did her husband know she just had her card and phone?

Clearly her handbag was not in the house so he didn't know that way. If she went straight from work, common sense dictates she had her handbag with her. If she went home and dropped it off, did he see or speak to her? Or just see her WALLET on the table and assume she'd gone out with no handbag either?

The fact that the handbag was found with other bits and pieces in it identifying it as Jills, implies to me that the handbag was like most womens, a carry around catch all that she'd be lost without.

She would also not take the handbag without the wallet IMO.

Every woman knows that bankcards can be disabled by magnets and most ladies handbags are fastened with magnets (obviously a man designed that one) so you cannot leave a bankcard lying in a handbag or it will not work if it brushes against the magnet.

So....I doubt that she took her handbag but no wallet. Personally.

at this point they are not saying what exactly was hers only that some of the contents were hers.

Personal items that were located in a laneway off Hope Street, Brunswick this morning have been confirmed as belonging to Ms Meagher.
"This morning there was a handbag located in a laneway off Hope Street in Brunswick, and we've confirmed that some of the contents belong to Jillian,"

not sure if she went home first or not... this says he last heard from her at 5 before he left work saying she was going out

Jill's husband Thomas Meagher confirms he was in contact with Jill through the evening, and that it was not unusual for he and his wife to make the short walk from the bar strip of Sydney Road to their home.
"I spoke to her on the phone before I left work Friday at 5 o'clock. She was in good spirits, she was going out and she was happy. I also got a text message from her at a quarter to ten," says Thomas Meagher.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/09/24/3596295.htm

Haha I'm a 24 year old girl from Melbourne and always called my purse my wallet and so have all my girlfriends, maybe it's the generations gaps?

No, I think you're agreeing with me.

I said in Australia that a purse is a handbag, but a wallet is what you carry your money in.

Everywhere else around the world apparently, a purse=wallet.

In Australia a purse=handbag.

If it was a money purse, we would refer to it as a coin purse. They are small and fiddly and cannot carry bankcards so are generally not used by women in Australia.

To prove my point I told everyone to go to ebay australia and search for ladies purses and a bunch of handbags come up.

If you want a coin purse (eg money container) you have to search for coin purse or wallet.

Either way, it probably doesn't really matter...just semantics.

And NONE of it explains why or how her handbag was planted.

Now I can't wait to see if anyone (not in WS)googles wallet vs. purse vs. handbag... and they need a drink after reading through all these definitions!

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Ms Meagher was initially believed to have left Bar Etiquette in Brunswick about 1.30am (AEST) on Saturday, intending to make the short walk home and refusing a colleague's offer to accompany her.

But she then made a brief phone call to her brother Michael at the family's Perth home about 2am and police now say she may have stayed in the bar on busy Sydney Road.

Edith McKeon said her daughter had rushed home from holidaying in her native Ireland several weeks earlier after her father had a stroke.

'She rang Michael at about 2am on Saturday morning and she sounded worried and there were people in the background, and that's the last we've heard from her,' Mrs McKeon told Fairfax Media.

Michael told his sister he didn't want to wake their father.

'She just went I'm worried, I'm worried' and that really was the last bit of (contact),' Mrs McKeon said.

Ms Meagher then hung up, and Michael's repeated efforts to call her back failed, Mrs McKeon said.

Homicide squad head Detective Inspector John Potter said Ms Meagher and her brother had talked about their father's health.

'We are inclined to think what they were discussing was the health of the dad and the noise in the background was in fact the bar there, which leads us to believe that she stayed on in the bar longer than the last of her colleagues (who) had left, we understand, at about 1.30,' Det Insp Potter told ABC radio.

He said the bag held Ms Meagher's personal identification, but he couldn't say whether it contained her mobile phone.
http://www.skynews.com.au/national/article.aspx?id=798792

Ok now they are saying they are not sure where she was when she made the final call to her brother.

An Irish woman phoned her brother shortly before she vanished but police now aren't sure if she made the call from inside a Melbourne bar or as she made the late-night walk home.
[I]"She just went `I'm worried, I'm worried' and that really was the last bit of (contact)," Mrs McKeon said.
Ms Meagher then hung up, and Michael's repeated efforts to call her back failed, Mrs McKeon said.[/I]

I don't like that "I'm worried" bit. The police are stating she was worried about her father, but her father is alive and well (even if he has recently had a stroke) and 2am seems a very odd time to be so worried about his health.

There's more to this story than meets the eye. As usual.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8537433/abc-radio-employee-missing-in-melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member