GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is a screencap of the handbag beside the car. IMO this is how it was found because the police are still in the process of photographing it.

sagedusu.jpg

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8537433/abc-radio-employee-missing-in-melbourne

Actually, going back a few pages...Here is the photo of the handbag in the location it was found. It was found on the ground, in between a vehicle and wall.

Now the question begs...why would investigators move the handbag to a chair, possibly contaminating and losing evidence?

Interesting. These things seem to stand out in this case:

* It is doubtful if the handbag was found on the seat it would not have been discovered until Monday. So the question is who put it there and why. Any person involved in criminal activities would not plant evidence at a later date
* While the husband is absolutely innocent until proven otherwise, why would he begin calling her non-stop from 2 am (the exact time she went missing) until 6 am? She would have had to have sent him a message that she was on her way
* The husband claims to have searched for her for four hours. Considering the distance from the bar and the home is a 10-minute walk, where did he actually search?
* Unless there is a police report of the attempted abductions, the claims of women being followed in that area are baseless. Why would someone on Facebook claim to have been so shaken up she left the area and not filed a report? Police surely would have circulated warnings if this was the case

:welcome: Bezerkos! :welcome:

Interesting. These things seem to stand out in this case:

* It is doubtful if the handbag was found on the seat it would not have been discovered until Monday. So the question is who put it there and why. Any person involved in criminal activities would not plant evidence at a later date
* While the husband is absolutely innocent until proven otherwise, why would he begin calling her non-stop from 2 am (the exact time she went missing) until 6 am? She would have had to have sent him a message that she was on her way
* The husband claims to have searched for her for four hours. Considering the distance from the bar and the home is a 10-minute walk, where did he actually search?
* Unless there is a police report of the attempted abductions, the claims of women being followed in that area are baseless. Why would someone on Facebook claim to have been so shaken up she left the area and not filed a report? Police surely would have circulated warnings if this was the case

^^^BBM.

Where did you get this info? Can you please provide a link.

TIA.

Oh and btw

:welcome3:

Just another point of view - I am 29 and live in Sydney. I very rarely take my entire 'wallet' if I am going out and will be drinking. This is so if my bag happens to get stolen or I lose it, I am not going to lose every thing in it. I usually take cash, a bank and/or credit card and my ID. That's pretty much it. However, as it was Friday and she was out for drinks with work people, I am surprised she went home to change her bags over and to leave her purse at home. Most Friday drinks here start straight after work.

Up thread it was stated that the handbag (the term used by police) was found on the ground in the laneway. The handbag in the picture appears to be sitting on top of something other than the ground, like a stool, table or chair. Did the police move it prior to this photo? I would think it would be more visible sitting where it is, as opposed to on the ground between a vehicle and wall, as I had pictured it being earlier.

when it was on the ground it was near the drivers side door which here in australia is nearest the roadway.

It would be easy to spend 4 hours searching, Sydney road, Hope street, Lux way plus all the other side streets and alleys. you would go up and down streets and around the many blocks.

This refers to some discussion a few pages back - the idea that 'she should have let someone walk her home' You all know, I assume, that women are far more likely to be assaulted by someone they know than by a stranger. Therefore statistically a woman is in more danger being accompanied by a male acquaintance than she is alone. I would never let a man I didn't really know and trust walk me home, because that is LESS SAFE. And the more he insisted, the less I would trust him.

As the police said, it's an area they would generally consider safe. Thousands of women walk from the many bars in that area to the train station to their home every weekend, and have done for years and years, and almost none of them have come to any harm. Driving, especially on Friday nights when there are drunk drivers on the road, kills heaps of people every year, and nobody stops driving because of that. The murder rate us much lower than the road toll. It's safer to walk than drive/get a taxi.

So on the balance of probability, she did the most sensible thing by walking home alone. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how sensible you are, bad things can still happen.

(please note that i signed up using my usual username and only just realised it might seem inappropriate. Just a coincidence I promise)

somebody random may have found her bag discarded nearby, hidden, and thoughtfully put it out in the open so whoever lost it would find it easily if they came looking for it. that would explain why the contents remained untouched. her phone was probably taken by the perp.
another far fetched scenario could be she has taken off with somebody else and is miles away?

Actually, going back a few pages...Here is the photo of the handbag in the location it was found. It was found on the ground, in between a vehicle and wall.

Now the question begs...why would investigators move the handbag to a chair, possibly contaminating and losing evidence?

Thanks for the link to that photo I was trying to find it myself, the latest photo didn't make sense to me at all lol Looks like a mini backpack styled handbag.

Investigators may have moved it to open it a little - get better angle for the camera, they usually move it with minimal touching to preserve prints etc on the purse. Remember it was found Monday and they were assuming it had been there all weekend initially (until talk of it possibly being planted later)

At some stage they will take photos of individual items contained in the handbag.

Just another point of view - I am 29 and live in Sydney. I very rarely take my entire 'wallet' if I am going out and will be drinking. This is so if my bag happens to get stolen or I lose it, I am not going to lose every thing in it. I usually take cash, a bank and/or credit card and my ID. That's pretty much it. However, as it was Friday and she was out for drinks with work people, I am surprised she went home to change her bags over and to leave her purse at home. Most Friday drinks here start straight after work.

This is what I'd like to know.

Did she go home after work, then go back out again?

If she went home, I can fully understand her leaving her wallet at there, for security and convenience.

If she went straight from work, however, she would have had her wallet with her.

In my opinion.

She would also have had a bag, quite possibly an umbrella too - anyone who knows Melbourne in the springtime (heck any time) knows it is prone to four seasons in one day, literally.

She sounded like she was dressed for a night out, also, all in black with patterned stockings, which makes it even more likely she would have her bag and all her kit with her.

:cow:

when it was on the ground it was near the drivers side door which here in australia is nearest the roadway.

LOL that made me smile, it is the same in America (drive different side of the road but on the other side of the car). As an Aussie living in America I often check myself for being on the correct side of the road by ensuring I am closest to the double yellow lines

I went back and added the screen capture that was several pages back in the quote I quoted. It does appear to be on the ground by the driver's side door. However, the vehicle appears to be parked quite close to the wall on the driver's side, barely leaving room to fully open the door.

Here's the pic again..
4anyqu6a.jpg

I just don't understand why investigators would move it, possibly contaminating and losing evidence in the process. I would think it would be photographed and bagged, then taken to a crime lab for processing, not placed on a chair.

Is it even the same handbag?

The one on the chair looks smaller.

She sounded like she was dressed for a night out, also, all in black with patterned stockings, which makes it even more likely she would have her bag and all her kit with her.

That sounds like typical workwear to me. Although also nice enough to wear out. Jill's from a kind of hipster crowd - there is very little distinction between day and night wear.

But there seems still to be conflicting reports over whether the dress was blue or black?

The police should be able to pinpoint Jill's last location by the pings off her mobile phone.

Her brother said he could hear voices in the background (presumably in or near the bar), but when he tried calling her back, he got no response. I can't seem to find out exactly when he called her back. If it was 2 mins later, then she would still be near the bar (or wherever the pings showed her to be) but if it was 10 min later, then she could be anywhere in between the bar and her home.

Hi all, I'm new to the forums but have been following this case and reading all your comments with much interest. :)

To me Jill's behaviour after parting with work colleagues seems really odd.

-Bar closes at 1am, TW and her part company at 1.30am.
-Phone call to brother somewhere around 1.45am to 2am. Voices in the background indicate that at this time she is either still in the bar (which its unlikely given its advertised closing time was 1am?) perhaps is in a different bar or is still somewhere on Sydney road.

If her house was a 5-10 minute walk away from the bar, you would think she would have begun walking at 1.30 and by 1.45am would have already well and truly been home. Why did she hang around for so long afterwards alone in the area before making the phone call? That to me suggests something had already gone wrong before the phone call was made.

If she didn't leave the bar at all then that may be why perp placed handbag in the laneway - to throw police off.

BBM. It's a Handbag purse. Sorry, couldn't resist. The two media photos of the hanursellet,, one from above near the car, and one on the bench, the size looks very different. The one on the ground looks twice the size of the one on the bench. Moo

The what????

Joking aside, the media in Australia can be very dodgy indeed and I wouldn't put it past some lazy journo to just shove a stock file photo in the story.

But maybe she had TWO bags...

Maybe she had a briefcase or gym bag, and a handbag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214