GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No trial if you plead guilty, but you still go to court for sentencing - the same as other Commonwealth countries.
(I am a law student but it is common knowledge here)

:furious:

Allegedly, this man confessed and led police to Jill's body.

In Australia, is this a reason to not have a trial, "go straight to sentencing"? (Confession) Or does the alleged murderer still have the opportunity for a jury trial?

ALIOOP! Are you here?

FYI - Alioop is a WS verified solicitor/lawyer in Australia....and has been a wonderful and much appreciated resource in the Allison Bayden-Clay thread!

So would he have done this on his own or did he have an accomplice.

Police believe he did this on his own. I'll go find the link and add it here

ETA: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...rs-disappearance/story-e6frg6nf-1226482972990

Homicide Detective Superintendent Brett Guerin said the man did not know Ms Meagher, who was last seen walking home along a busy Melbourne road in the suburb of Brunswick, north of the CBD, after an evening spent drinking with friends and work.

Police believe he acted alone.

This is just so tragic and I feel so sorry for her family, her husband and her friends. It seems so trite to say "rest in peace", especially as she shouldn't have been resting for many, many years yet. I just hope we do go on to somewhere better after this life, and that is where she is now - waiting for her loved ones to join her one day.

If one good thing can come of all this, then I would hope that women will remember Jill when they are on a night out ...... and make their way home safely. Please don't ever walk home alone at night, no matter how near you may live, or how safe you may feel.

Did we ever determine if, in fact, there was a red vehicle shown on CCTV that was made public? I recall talk of a red vehicle, but do not recall what was determined.

This is just so tragic and I feel so sorry for her family, her husband and her friends. It seems so trite to say "rest in peace", especially as she shouldn't have been resting for many, many years yet. I just hope we do go on to somewhere better after this life, and that is where she is now - waiting for her loved ones to join her one day.

If one good thing can come of all this, then I would hope that women will remember Jill when they are on a night out ...... and make their way home safely. Please don't ever walk home alone at night, no matter how near you may live, or how safe you may feel.

I so agree. While the chances may seem slim that something this horrible will happen, it does happen...there are many more unknown sex offenders and potential rapists and killers out there than anyone would like to imagine. And certainly they are looking mostly for a lone, female potential victim.

This case is (sadly yet again) going to shine a much needed light on sentencing laws in Victoria.

People are angry now... when people find out more about him, more so.

The police and reporters who have been working the past 24 hrs have been amazing.

Re getting home safely, my friend and I were talking this afternoon about how many times we had walked home alone through Balmain/rozelle in Sydney after a night out thinking we were quite safe. Good area etc but just goes to show we must always be careful. How awful for Jill and her family. So tragic! I hope her killer gets what he deserves.

I was able to view the previously linked FB page about 30 mins ago and no doubt it was him.

But its been shut down now - that was fast.

RIP Jill

Has the second surveillance video (at an art gallery, I believe) been released? I read about it up-thread somewhere but haven't seen a link. Just curious, I guess.

I was able to view the previously linked FB page about 30 mins ago and no doubt it was him.

But its been shut down now - that was fast.

RIP Jill

Its strange in the cctv he looks thin and gaunt, on the FB photo he was muscly and obviously works out (gym was listed in his interests). Obviously the camera distorts things a bit plus the distance/angle etc.

Its strange in the cctv he looks thin and gaunt, on the FB photo he was muscly and obviously works out (gym was listed in his interests). Obviously the camera distorts things a bit plus the distance/angle etc.

Maybe he used an outdated photo?

My thoughts and prayers go out to her husband, family and friends and law enforcement.
May the Lord hold you, and bring you comfort and strength and may Justice be swift.

So sorry to hear this news today. :( RIP Jill. Thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.

I saw that a few have noticed the ring on his 'wedding ring' finger. After reading that some wonder if AB is the same perp who lured that woman into his car last year to rape her, it got me thinking... I wonder if the wearing of the ring on his wedding finger is/was part of the bait. As in, "I saw someone following you, lady, it's not safe to walk here, look (shows ring), I'm married, I wouldn't want MY WIFE walking these streets alone in the dark, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened to you, come on, hop in, I'll have you home safe and sound in a jiffy."

I have no idea if we know if he's married or not, but I do think a woman would be more likely to misplace her trust in a guy who appears to be/says he's married.

MOO.

So, so sad. R.I.P. Jill. My sincere condolences to her husband and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela