GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahron Young who reports for Sky News was tweeting that his program manager was inside the court and TM was there. So I guess it's happening...?

ETA: Ahron Young ‏@AhronYoung

Our producer inside the Magistrates court tells me Tomm Meagher is inside the court

Ahron Young‏@AhronYoung

Given the sensitivity of the case, Mr Meagher and Jill's brother are talking with OPP in a separate court at the moment

Hi everyone. Warning - Newbie!

Loose ends for me are 1) did it turn out to be a gun he was pointing at her in the CCTV footage and 2) have we solved the mystery of the handbag?

Thanks
LeoBear

Hey LB,
I don't think we have any further answers at this point. Just waiting to see what happens next, and hope the raving loonies venting their collective spleens on social media don't jeopardise the case.

scary to think jills murderer may have never been caught without the cctv footage, she didnt know him and there would be nothing to link him to the crime unless his dna is on record, but evidence of that would have faded in time.
Bearbear, this is just so true - there would have been nothing to link him to this horrendous crime. We are indeed much more appreciative of CCTV now. If it was not for CCTV - he may never have been caught. He'd buried her where nobody would ever notice. IMO.

September 28, 2012

Victoria Police media unit supervisor Natalie Webster said social media campaigns could assist with highlighting an incident or investigation and take information to an audience that was not engaged in traditional media - the police publish its own press releases and information on Twitter and Facebook.

But Ms Webster warned "it is important that the information on non-official pages is verified and correct, as it may adversely impact an investigation otherwise".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-on-social-media/story-e6frf7kx-1226482993419

Hello everyone - another first timer here. I just discovered your forum yesterday after reading the newspaper article about the enormous number of people following the case online - it mentioned Websleuths and here I have been, madly refreshing the page ever since.
Such a terrible outcome for the Meagher family and everyone involved :(
We feel this so much more personally because of the instant nature of the internet and media coverage in general these days. For all it's faults I am feeling that the internet has enabled some sort of large scale community spirit - and it's a powerful thing for sure.

I think the people on here who originally accused TM and have now apologized are admirable for doing that. The other thousands of people on FB, twitter, who did it now couldn't care less - they're too busy spewing vile at AB.

As much as I am horrified and distraught at this case, I don't see how that helps anyone. If we don't care about justice and a fair trial, that too is a sad indictment on our society, even if the evidence looks pretty clear.

Thanks very much to the mods for keeping everyone in check during those early stages when there were suspicions about TM - obviously your reasons for that are now pretty evident!

I didn't say on here but did originally think TM seemed off, I will admit I was wrong and I was happy to be wrong and I did hope that maybe she was still alive somewhere, until the CCTV footage came out and it seemed less likely :( I do hope the man charged gets his just desserts but I don't think the hate pages on FB about him are very productive and like many I truly hope they don't prevent the course of justice being done by creating some loophole for his lawyer.

I wish TM and Jill's poor family all the sympathies in the world, this would be truly devastating.

I didn't say on here but did originally think TM seemed off, I will admit I was wrong and I was happy to be wrong and I did hope that maybe she was still alive somewhere, until the CCTV footage came out and it seemed less likely :( I do hope the man charged gets his just desserts but I don't think the hate pages on FB about him are very productive and like many I truly hope they don't prevent the course of justice being done by creating some loophole for his lawyer.

I wish TM and Jill's poor family all the sympathies in the world, this would be truly devastating.

Me too. I didn't accuse TM but definitely was questioning some things and now feel truly awful. I guess it's human nature to wonder and question but it just doesn't feel right anymore.

And to all those feeling bad about accusing the husband, dont worry about, human instinct that being a bit suspicous.........On here a couple of times I have been vocal about who I thought was responsible, like we all had and it has been a shock when the truth comes out.

please dont feel guilty....the police look at the spouse immediately...we, the public, know this as well, for an ordinary everyday good man, Tom, I imagine he would understand this...x
An apology is very acceptable, in fact, honourable.... but understanding this if something like this happens to you is be a big ask. That's like saying that Tom and his family, in spite of Tom's innocence, would think it was okay and understable that he was hammered and insulted with fingers pointing to him as the murderer of his own wife in the way he has been in social media.

..... and still, even after the police had cleared him and said he was not a suspect it did not abate much at all. That's also a negative slurr againts the police by implying they are wrong but you (the generalised rhetoric you), are right and know more than the police.

By saying that it's understandable, as I see it, it also carries the implication that with every single murder or missing case it's okay and understable, until they catch the perpriator, to, (without having all the facts at hand), accuse the closest ones, namely the spouse and or family and friends.

I don't mean this to come across as strong as it may sound but I feel quite strongly about kangaroo court, (trial by social media) mentality. Just because in many cases it does end up being someone close, it doesn't mean it does in all cases and it pays to be mindful of that as I see it.

I think people were suspicious of TM - apart from the statistical probability 0 because they were so horrified by the idea of accidentally consoling Jill's murderer - most people are more worried about looking like a sucker than they are of being too cynical.

I certainly think it goes to show that statement analyses are not particularly accurate.

There are people on WS who didn't just have misgivings about TM - but were 100% certain based on that interview that it was him, no further discussion needed.

I can see why you'd want to believe you can tell if someone's really a murderer just by talking to them, because then you'd feel a lot safer, but it's okay that we can't tell, and that we're inclined to trust people automatically. That's part of the whole 'being human' social animal thing, and that's what separates from, eg. Jill's killer.

Coburg neighbour Dale Trotter said he saw at least two cars pull up outside the Coburg house where Bayley lives at about 2am on Saturday morning.

"I saw some cars rock up. I didn't suspect anything of it," Mr Trotter said.

Another neighbour, Trish Murray, said she noticed up to four cars outside the house on Saturday.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-against-suspect/story-e6frf7kx-1226482868669

Strange. Saturday neighbours noticed activity at AB's house????

Hi guys again...just want to say that because I woke up pretty late again (was on here until 1.30am last night) I am just catching up......I did not get to see his supposed facebook photo, but have seen the picture of the healthy, not bad looking guy with the one tattoo.............I am having a big problem with seeing this as the guy who I have in my imagination. Do we know it is him? He looks so normal for a guy who has suppose to have spent a lot of his life in jail...if it is him, he obviously had major problems in the head sexually......

But you know, I dont know if alot of you have heard of Russell Williams in Canada, I was on here when this guy got caught.....he was like a captain or something in the airforce over there, highly decorated, married etc.....there started being a lot of cases of break and enter into womans homes and I think their underwear was stolen (that old snowdropping again!), then one woman was raped and murdered and then another...I think there was only two. Anyhow when they caught him, I am sure everyone on here was so shocked.........he not only looked normal, he looked so damn respectable....

Thanks Maigret :)

Has the hearing been confirmed as 9am at the Magistrate's Court? Walked past it at 8:30am and there was no media circus or anything like that.

Edit: Or is this a time difference thing, where people were actually referring to the 2:30am hearing last night? I took it to mean there would be a second one at 9am today.

The court appearance of the man accused of raping and murdering ABC employee Jill Meagher has been delayed to give her family time to talk to police and the prosecutor.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/court-delay-for-meagher-accused-20120928-26p69.html#ixzz27imbIfR0

I'm no LE expert but confess I'm a little confused about concerns about social media comments contaminating the case. The man confessed. What else needs to be said or proven?

Unrelated but worthy of comment, just saw one of Jill's relatives on TV and my heart broke. This is so tragic. We hear about murders all the time and think that's just someone else's daughter, son, father, mother, sister, brother BUT the ordinariness of the circumstances leading up to this - a person walking home a short distance after a night out - suggests it could have happened to anyone of us or our friends or family. So Jill is not just someone else's daughter or sister. She is like our daughter. Our sister. And I think that brings it home for us.

Tom is finding out from prosecutors about what he may hear, it has been delayed while this is done.

that poor man and his family - my heart aches for him (no link sorry it was in the news bulletin on 3AW)

An apology is very acceptable, in fact, honourable.... but understanding this if something like this happens to you is be a big ask. That's like saying that Tom and his family, in spite of Tom's innocence, would think it was okay and understable that he was hammered and insulted with fingers pointing to him as the murderer of his own wife in the way he has been in social media.

..... and still, even after the police had cleared him and said he was not a suspect it did not abate much at all. That's also a negative slurr againts the police by implying they are wrong but you (the generalised rhetoric you), are right and know more than the police.

By saying that it's understandable, as I see it, it also carries the implication that with every single murder or missing case it's okay and understable, until they catch the perpriator, to, (without having all the facts at hand), accuse the closest ones, namely the spouse and or family and friends.

I don't mean this to come across as strong as it may sound but I feel quite strongly about kangaroo court, (trial by social media) mentality. Just because in many cases it does end up being someone close, it doesn't mean it does in all cases and it pays to be mindful of that as I see it.

And yes, while that is all good and well, on sites like this, we actually do explore all avenues and there have been cases on here, where they have said that the person has been cleared, and it is in fact a ploy to make the perp think the heat has been taken off them, only for the LE to then arrest them later on. I did not think it was him, but can understand others suspicions when the handbag seem planted............but yes I do condone big time people being extremely nasty about it as what was suppose to have happened on some facebook pages....(didnt read it).........and what about people like graham stafford and gordon wood...who I still suspect both of them, and I know a lot of people in the US still suspect one of the Ramsays.....this is an armchair detective site.

Me too. I didn't accuse TM but definitely was questioning some things and now feel truly awful. I guess it's human nature to wonder and question but it just doesn't feel right anymore.

Agree its human nature, but posting it for the world to see is destructive, and really isnt too dissimilar to those that have done the same on social networking.

Thinking is one thing, posting is another.

Props to you for getting back on and saying as much

I'm no LE expert but confess I'm a little confused about concerns about social media comments contaminating the case. The man confessed. What else needs to be said or proven?

Unrelated but worthy of comment, just saw one of Jill's relatives on TV and my heart broke. This is so tragic. We hear about murders all the time and think that's just someone else's daughter, son, father, mother, sister, brother BUT the ordinariness of the circumstances leading up to this - a person walking home a short distance after a night out - suggests it could have happened to anyone of us or our friends or family. So Jill is not just someone else's daughter or sister. She is like our daughter. Our sister. And I think that brings it home for us.

Lovely post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members