GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A woman who tried to walk home from a train station I'll see if I can find a link
Here you are
Murder of Anita Cobby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was all very horrible :(

That's the sanitized version! Point is. Young woman. Walking home late at night. Alone. Only a short distance. And abducted and subsequently raped and brutally murdered. She & Jill even looked a little alike. I thought of Anita as soon as I saw Jill's photo on the news reporting her missing last weekend.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/y...ually-assaulted-after-con-20120801-23dvb.html

This has been posted quite a few times, but with the benefit of hindsight is even more interesting. Happened on July 15. Note description of vehicle.

Why does it take a case like Jill's to bring perpetrators in? Surely the police have undertaken the rape kit procedure on this poor girl. Sadly, I think they may have been unable to extract DNA otherwise I'm sure they would have their man by now.

I hope, as a result of bringing in AEB, that many cold cases are able to be solved.

In the Geelong Advertiser article it said he was 30 years old, so it was 11 years ago - making it 2001. Remembering back to then, the internet was pretty sparse. All I did on the internet in those days was look at baby names (I was pregnant) and search for new recipes to try.

Befpre then, I remember paying to use the microfiche at university to look up news articles of interest.

I've been on the Internet since '94. It was in all the Universities in Sydney at that time, so it was used a lot even back then (anyone remember good ol' Netscape Navigator?). The Geelong Advertiser probably would have had their Website up and running in 2001.

Welcome to WebSleuths Love Coco!

:welcome5:
Thank you summer breeze.

I however no longer feel welcome to be posting as my posts continue to be deleted, without any explanations. If for some reason mods found my posts wrong in any way they could have edited out the offending line, not my whole posts. I don't see how my post was offending anyway, as I have only stated my opinions, corrections, what has been in Victorian media, and my experience last night of seeing the flowers and vigil.

But I expect this post to be deleted too. So I will just stop.

My thoughts to Jill's family, always.

Thank you summer breeze.

I however no longer feel welcome to be posting as my posts continue to be deleted, without any explanations. If for some reason mods found my posts wrong in any way they could have edited out the offending line, not my whole posts. I don't see how my post was offending anyway, as I have only stated my opinions, corrections, what has been in Victorian media, and my experience last night of seeing the flowers and vigil.

But I expect this post to be deleted too. So I will just stop.

My thoughts to Jill's family, always.

Hi Love Coco!

I am an administrator here at Websleuths. The reason your last post was removed was because it was asking about moderation, as is this post. We usually remove these kinds of posts as they are not topical to the thread and need to be discussed in private. You can do that via our Alert feature or Private Message system.

It appears your first post was removed because a fact was stated without a link.

All new members, please review our rules. It really helps! :grouphug:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Rules Etiquette & Information

Selfishly I want to scream about how much more vulnerable it has made women in our city feel because of one man who couldn't control whatever disgusting urge came over him.

I understand the feeling more vulnerable but being Aussie to the bone I believe more than that chivalry will make a huge come back. Just watch the men that start to look out for ladies. That Aussie way will be more evident than ever.

Reclaiming the Night - what a wonderful idea!

I still don't get why she didn't call her husband. I can only think that she didn't think she was in any danger.

I was wondering about that as well, and kept wondering while I kept reviewing that footage. Then I realized that she was standing there looking at her phone for several seconds. It looked like she was using some kind of smart phone. I know in mine that I have to push the screen to get to the actual phone keypad, which brings up either my "recent calls" list or a list of contacts. On my phone, the contacts are automatically organized by last name, or by "business name" if I only entered a single name. For instance, my parents' landline is listed in my phone as "Mom and Dad Home", so it comes up under "M".

I'm thinking it was probably just a fluke... fear, mixed with being a bit tipsy, mixed with wanting to get ANYONE on the phone, mixed with the problems with operating a smart phone in that sort of situation. Maybe that number was the first one she saw at the top of her recent calls, or maybe that was the first that popped up in her contacts when she opened them. I'm thinking that she may have been thinking that she needed to just get someone on the phone, anyone, and maybe that guy would back off.

It really just makes me sick. I just get this overwhelming feeling when watching that video... I just want to DO SOMETHING, but of course, it's just too late. :(

Why does it take a case like Jill's to bring perpetrators in? Surely the police have undertaken the rape kit procedure on this poor girl. Sadly, I think they may have been unable to extract DNA otherwise I'm sure they would have their man by now.

I hope, as a result of bringing in AEB, that many cold cases are able to be solved.

I understand it will never happen but an at birth DNA sample would solve a hell of a lot of rapes and murders and maybe act as a deterrent.

:jail: I'm just over it. :banghead:

And that's what Dan Gregson, the guy in the orange jumper who passed AB and Jill in front of the bridal shop, said - he didn't remember anything special about him, he didn't stand out at all. :(
...But people differ in their ability to perceive this sort of thing. The guy in the video [frontal balding, dark hair, dark jacket and pants] obviously perceived something - enough to take a prolonged look behind. 'Guys get guys' - he was alerted to something, probably saw BH harassing Jill, but decided to leave it. Unless VPolice have another explanation for this man's behaviour. My opinion only.

Hello friends,

Is there a possibility of anyone else that assisted this bloke? I have been intrigued that he could not have done this all by himself alone without an accomplice. There were reports about multiple cars parked by his house in coburg on Saturday morning.

My respects to Jill and condolences to her family and all who have been affected.

Also there may be heaps of cases that go un noticed here, like the Box Hill girl missing.

Also I was following lloyd rayney's case from Perth. His wife went missing after boot scootin classes and found the body in a shallow grave and are holding husband barrister accountable and he is not guilty.Jills case is very similar.

Why doesn't Australia donate an island to the sex offenders with copies of play boy and leave them there? We don't need them in our society. So give them a land to survive on near vanavatu?

I get the impression he pretty much told them the whole story. I just wish that suspects were not allowed to plead "not guilty" once they not only confess but produce the victim's body. Such a waste of funds...

So now I am really confused.

Am I understanding correctly that this man can now plead "not guilty" after confessing and leading police to Jill's body? How in the world is that possible??

:banghead:

Does anyone have a reliable source that explains criminal procedure in Victoria? I'm googling, but I am finding mostly links to law textbooks or websites that do not seem particularly reliable.

Hello friends,

Why doesn't Australia donate an island to the sex offenders with copies of play boy and leave them there? We don't need them in our society. So give them a land to survive on near vanavatu?

Or Tasmania - and give it it's original name Van Diemen's Land :what:

Am I understanding correctly that this man can now plead "not guilty" after confessing and leading police to Jill's body? How in the world is that possible??

Does anyone have a reliable source that explains criminal procedure in Victoria? I'm googling, but I am finding mostly links to law textbooks or websites that do not seem particularly reliable.

Alioop is a verified lawyer and pops in here, the answer will come but my understanding is yes you can.

Just like people that are Not Guilty plea guilty to save a trial or longer sentence or whatever -you can confess and then plea Not Guilty - with reasoning such as insanity.

Hello friends,

Is there a possibility of anyone else that assisted this bloke? I have been intrigued that he could not have done this all by himself alone without an accomplice. There were reports about multiple cars parked by his house in coburg on Saturday morning.

?

whats also baffling is that a news report today says she was raped and murdered down a sidestreet in Brunswick (presumably Hope St)

So did this guy just happn to have his car right next to where he raped her, then resaliseing she was dead/unconscious he just bundled her in and drove to Gisborne to bury her?

Or did he lure her into his car somehow and then drive to a dark alleyway and rape her in the car? Much like the case of the Dutch backpacker in St Kilda

I believe they can do so here in USA as well...try to claim the confession was given under duress or illegally obtained, etc...and if the confession is found to be no good, the fact that the suspect led LE to the body would also be invalid for trial...

I understand it will never happen but an at birth DNA sample would solve a hell of a lot of rapes and murders and maybe act as a deterrent.

:jail: I'm just over it. :banghead:

OMG! I love this! Such a great idea... but too many would argue that their rights were being violated...never mind victims' rights.

I am adamantly against violent sex offenders EVER being released - they cannot be rehabilitated. http://www.vachss.com/av_dispatches/disp_9301_a.html

One strike and you are out... and I feel that if there is irrefutable dna evidence the death penalty (although I realize not in Australia) should be the automatic sentence. So many cases of multiple, escalating offenses...

I agree that the system is flawed and that a serial offender needs to be behind bars.

Most rapist/murderers likely have antisocial personality disorders and I don't think many personality disorders are successfully treatable. There would be little benefit in having people like this on psychiatric wards.

You will find antisocial types in jail mostly as there is no way that you can ever expect these type of people to develop empathy and compassion.

It's my opinion that there are evil people in the world and that when they are sentenced to life imprisonment, it should mean just that and that they should never be released.

I think Germany was really keen on rehabilitation for sex offenders but sadly, this almost always was unsuccessful and once released, the offenders reoffended. Sometimes escalating.
I generally agree with this post. Further the place of Psychology in the Court system is another which needs to be reviewed. If the system continues to deny that some among us cannot be rehabilitated, it will continue to release human beings who do harm to other human beings. Abduction, rape and murder is a violent, brutal crime - totally unacceptable.

Morning all - excellent article by John Silvester in the Canberra Times linked to earlier.

I wonder what the police "trump card" evidence was? Had they found Jill's phone at Bayley's house, or in his car? They had obviously been tracking it before it was switched off. Given that it was ringing when Tom was calling it before going to voicemail, right up until 8am, then it must have been switched on. Maybe it was switched to silent by Jill - just on vibrate for when she was in the noisy pub or bar? So Bayley didn't hear it, but the police were able to track it after the event? Which in some ways is a scary thought that we can all be tracked after the event.....maybe!

Or did they find the blue hoodie, was there evidence of Jill on there - blood etc?

Or maybe the shovel? Or all of the above? Or perhaps Jill's other bag - the ABC bag?

Sheesh - pity we have to wait so long for court to hear more details as to how the police did it, and did it so well.

And I still wonder how many other cases they may get him for? And if there will be any other arrests regarding this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fascist Donald Pig Trump