GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, give me a break, a Buddhist, you have to be joking, he as far from a Buddhist as Mt. Everest is to Africa on a hot day.

:what:

GET IT OFF YOU CHEST BABE -WE'RE HERE FOR YOU

:rocker:
:banghead::jail:

OMG, give me a break, a Buddhist, you have to be joking, he as far from a Buddhist as Mt. Everest is to Africa on a hot day.

<modsnip>
:great::great:

A giggle is good for the soul among mates

:what:

GET IT OFF YOU CHEST BABE -WE'RE HERE FOR YOU

:rocker:
:banghead::jail:

Thank you so much TGY! You are wonderful and I enjoy reading all your posts.
I only have certain days that I get to spend reading and posting, the weekend is when I mainly catch up and sometimes I post. This is very close to my heart, violence in our society can't be totally eradicated as much as I would like to live in a utopian society. Having said that, there is much that can be done and needs to be done. I have not finished. I will continue to rally for victims of crime forever. Again, thank you. :)

Unfortunately sometimes it takes tragedy to create change.

When my daughter & her friends go out together I cringe to see the ultra short skirts, sequins, mega makeup & killer heels. Those girls stick together & always come home together & they allocate 2 drivers to stay totally sober but they look like they are on the make but some girls dress this way to impress girls, not guys. They are in their early 30's, in corporate jobs & dont want boyfriends...yet. I still worry about them & dont need to ask for 2 phone calls throughout the night as she always calls me. They have a great time.

Jill wasn't dressed like that, for Gods sake she was in her work clothes!
She was in corporate clothes & she was being harassed by someone <modsnip>!
<modsnip> tookadvantage of her then stoleher life. I, like you cannot get my head around why the likes of this <modsnip> walks the streets <modsnip>..... same, same but a bit different

<modsnip>

<respectfully snipped> In an email I sent the other day to the Minister for Corrections, I did not receive a reply, I did not expect to receive a reply but just had to get it off my chest. One thing I did add to that email was that I would be happy to attend any forum that they could arrange and that I would appreciate a reply to my email. Guess what? I got nothing. That's exactly what I expected. Hopefully some change can occur and it needs to occur swiftly.

I am not an expert in dealing with politicians (in fact some would argue I'm not an expert in dealing with much at all :lol:) but I do know from experience that writing a "snail mail" letter will always get a response. It seems a physical letter is more real and demands attention more so than words on a screen. It also takes far more effort to write and post a letter than send an email and so a response in kind is expected (in polite society anyway!!!) This is of course just my opinion and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs - just a respectful suggestion. I'm happy to support and get involved in a letter-writing campaign with you!

i completely agree with the sentiments in your entire post - I'm also tired of bleeding hearts jeopardising the safety of our community. It seems from my own experience with crime and extensive reading of criminal cases, the offenders (in solved cases of course) are almost always "known to police". I'm partway through reading Gavin De Becker's "The Gift of Fear" (highly recommended by the way) and the indicators which point to violence seem pretty obvious to me, why doesn't our LE pay closer attention to them and allow offenders back out into society so easily?? Makes my blood boil :mad:

MOO

A reminder folks there'll be no mention of the accused's history & no name calling.

Some Perps should NEVER be released. What to do with them? Well, like you say middle of the Australian Dessert is a good place to start. The government needs to look at overseas models, how they deal with crime, because obviously what Australia is doing isn't working, it's broken and it NEEDS TO BE FIXED. There are people who can't be rehabilitated, they just can't. We don't want them back in Society. We have a RIGHT not to have them back in society. They need to stay locked up for good. I am for Capital Punishment, that's not going to happen in our lifetime, so what's the answer? Short term is to keep them incarcerated, whatever it takes. Then build more prisons, employ more professionals who are accountable for their actions as we are in our positions of employment. We are accountable for everything we do re our employment, why not them? Bottom, line, never to be released. The rest can be worked out.
I agree. Why do people who have done horrendous things get more consideration than good law-abiding people? I know some people can be rehabilitated, but surely prison is meant to be about punishment as well... then there are those who will always be a danger to society.

My thought was to round them up on an island where they can take out their sick tendencies on each other, far away from the public. The Aussie desert would do fine as well.

My thought was to round them up on an island

Like.. sending convicts to Australia? :D

Sorry, I do agree with your sentiment as a whole, but that bit gave me a bit of a chuckle.

My daughter will, in the next few years, be out with friends, maybe clubbing.. she is very pretty and personable, and tends to draw attention. I fear for her. I wish I didn't have to.

I'm only on the net/listening to radio sporadically at the moment, so it;s hard to keep up -- is there any new regarding the trial date or anything yet?

Sorry, I do agree with your sentiment as a whole, but that bit gave me a bit of a chuckle.

My daughter will, in the next few years, be out with friends, maybe clubbing.. she is very pretty and personable, and tends to draw attention. I fear for her. I wish I didn't have to.

I'm only on the net/listening to radio sporadically at the moment, so it;s hard to keep up -- is there any new regarding the trial date or anything yet?

From one of the reports after the accused's appearance in court. We most likely won't hear too much more until the committal hearing which should be some time next year.

September 28, 2012

Bayley was remanded in custody to appear for a committal mention on January 18

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/i...faces-court-20120928-26pqi.html#ixzz28VSdHbG3

Totally agree, very well written piece by Patrick Carlyon.

I was disappointed with the media reporting before the funeral but I have yet to see one piece written or film or photo that has made me cringe or be embarrassed, they did very very well.

I saw two girls here walking in "crazy" shoes and thought of Jill - from this day they will be called "crazy shoes" lol

re shoes - one of the Irish tabloids calls them 'bar to car shoes' :)

Yes that happens too but they have said they are not looking for other people, and they wouldn't attend a private funeral for friends and family only - if they were interested in anyone there they could have got a list. They were there to pay their respects. I noticed in the photos a couple of non ABC media people too that must have been invited.

How would they get a list? Not everyone signs a condolence book. I saw Red Symons there dressed for a blizzard.

Well, then... can't say it hasn't been tried before :giggle:

Another reminder...if any member's have questions...please use either the alert button or send us a PM

Very well said Cyansea. You ask who are the judges accountable to. IMO they are accountable to we the public to ensure that justice is served and that a sentence handed down fits the crime. Sadly it seems that the judges are accountable to no one but themselves. Similarly the Parole Board IMO is also accountable to we the public to ensure that an offender does not ever have the opportunity to offend again.

MOO.

If you really want to do something write a letter to your State MP. Judges are appointed by the Executive (party with majority in the lower house), if we have an abundance of 'lenient' judiciary, thank the Government who appointed them. And maintain the rage at the polling box.

Judges are accountable in that their judgments may be appealed, but politicians cannot interfere or attempt to influence them. They can be removed from office through constitutional processes which vary depending whether the Judge or magistrate is State or Federal.

From a paper given by Sir Anthony Mason, former Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia -
In conforming with s 72 of the Australian Constitution, the Justices of the High Court and other federal courts are appointed by the Governor General in Council. In practice that means an appointment by Cabinet, generally on the recommendation of the Attorney General. The appointment of State judges follows a similar pattern, a Cabinet decision preceding the formal appointment by the Governor in Council. Section 6 of the High Court of Australia Act 1979 (Cth) requires the Attorney General for the Commonwealth to consult with State Attorneys General about the appointment of a High Court Justice. What consultation in this context amounts to we do not know. It is believed that it may amount to no more than the Commonwealth Attorney requesting the State Attorneys to nominate a person for appointment. Consultation may vary from case to case and it would be surprising if the Commonwealth Attorney did not seek the views of other Attorneys on the qualifications of some candidates.

http://www.judcom.nsw.gov.au/publications/education-monographs-1/monograph1/fbmason.htm

I am not an expert in dealing with politicians (in fact some would argue I'm not an expert in dealing with much at all :lol:) but I do know from experience that writing a "snail mail" letter will always get a response. It seems a physical letter is more real and demands attention more so than words on a screen. It also takes far more effort to write and post a letter than send an email and so a response in kind is expected (in polite society anyway!!!) This is of course just my opinion and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs - just a respectful suggestion. I'm happy to support and get involved in a letter-writing campaign with you!

i completely agree with the sentiments in your entire post - I'm also tired of bleeding hearts jeopardising the safety of our community. It seems from my own experience with crime and extensive reading of criminal cases, the offenders (in solved cases of course) are almost always "known to police". I'm partway through reading Gavin De Becker's "The Gift of Fear" (highly recommended by the way) and the indicators which point to violence seem pretty obvious to me, why doesn't our LE pay closer attention to them and allow offenders back out into society so easily?? Makes my blood boil :mad:

MOO

Thank you for the information theblackwatch.
Always learning and happy to do so, any ideas are always welcome :)

I guess the best thing is to petition the Government, then everyone can get them done in their area whichever that is and wouldn't really matter if areas overlap, just means more signatures. (and yes as you say it's the old way that works best, so thank you for the idea!). Step 1 would be getting in touch with local MP and getting advice in relation to getting a Petition up and running. It is a formal means and they can also help with the wording of such. It can only be done by Victorians (unfortunately as we would have many many people out of the state whom I am sure would sign). It could possibly be left with someone in a shopping centre and then would be able to get many signatures. Petitions need everyone who signs name and address details as well.

Petition forms can be downloaded and printed from this website I found, though I'm not sure which Petition is the correct one, but a local MP will know which is the correct one to use.

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/tell/submit-a-petition

I'll also get hold of the book "The Gift of Fear" sounds very interesting. Thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member