GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the Women's Weekly have different issues in different states? I saw an article about Jill in the November issue today in Melbourne. As far as I could see there was nothing about the alleged perpetrator not even his name, and certainly no history of him, only a blurred photo of him in the police car. To me we should be focused on celebrating the victim's life in these type of magazines (which I don't buy but sometimes scan in waiting rooms) rather than focussing on info on any alleged offender's life. All my humble opinion.

This could be due to the fact that it is in Victoria? If I remember correctly, there was talk about AB's criminal history, evidence etc and all that jazz, being declared not to be discussed/in MSM in Victoria. I'm not 100% sure but I swear something like this was put in place, but not sure if they would go to the effort of having a different issue just for one state? :dunno: :waitasec:

JMO.

Thats the problem with some areas of the media...they assume ownership of the deceased ...I deliberately avoid the word victim...and forget that 5 weeks ago Gillian was in Perth with her family having fun and loving and being loved.
far too soon to even contemplate doing this story.
But the dollar rules...she is their daughter,sister and wife....not a character in a fictionalized account.
Vile and insensitive.

This could be due to the fact that it is in Victoria? If I remember correctly, there was talk about AB's criminal history, evidence etc and all that jazz, being declared not to be discussed/in MSM in Victoria. I'm not 100% sure but I swear something like this was put in place, but not sure if they would go to the effort of having a different issue just for one state? :dunno: :waitasec:

JMO.
Just checked in the local Newsagent here in Brisbane & yes the Women's Weekly all have the same article (I wanted to check because I was given my copy). It must be to do with the media blackout in Victoria that they are not printing it there with so much detail.
Still in disbelief about the lack of empathy for Jill's family. They live in Perth, so I am assuming they will be able to read this even by accident - perhaps in a Dr's waiting room.
Think it deserves a letter to the editor.

First time poster here.

I was in Brunswick today and we drove down Hope Street. I couldn't stop as a car was close behind me.

I just wanted to say that I would say it is definitely a mini camera on the greenish house mentioned in the other thread. I honestly thought it was too small to be a surveillance camera but seeing it today, I really think it is.

I think it is something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCTV-Mini-S...le-SONY-CCD-Indoor-Home-New-bb6-/110755977072

Like everyone else, I am so saddened by this horrific story. Today made it worse for me. Seeing how incredibly close to home Jill was makes it so hard to comprehend how this happened to her.

The Duchess Boutique is so close to Hope Street. AB could easily have hid in any number of spots to jump out at her. There are all sorts of doorways and alcoves he could have hidden in.

The whole place had such an awful feel. I wanted to look at more but I just had to get out of there. It felt like I was intruding some place I had no right to be.

Just checked in the local Newsagent here in Brisbane & yes the Women's Weekly all have the same article (I wanted to check because I was given my copy). It must be to do with the media blackout in Victoria that they are not printing it there with so much detail.
Still in disbelief about the lack of empathy for Jill's family. They live in Perth, so I am assuming they will be able to read this even by accident - perhaps in a Dr's waiting room.
Think it deserves a letter to the editor.

I haven't seen the article, so I don't know its tone/content but I am sure Jill's family already know all the details about ABs past. Police and prosecuters would have already told them, and probably more information about him, we and the press haven't been privy to.

I must seem like a cold person, because I don't really see the problem of an article mentioning his past, I think the public deserve to know what type of people have been let out on the streets. Is the article any different than if it were published in a newspaper?

First time poster here.

I was in Brunswick today and we drove down Hope Street. I couldn't stop as a car was close behind me.

I just wanted to say that I would say it is definitely a mini camera on the greenish house mentioned in the other thread. I honestly thought it was too small to be a surveillance camera but seeing it today, I really think it is.

I think it is something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCTV-Mini-S...le-SONY-CCD-Indoor-Home-New-bb6-/110755977072

Like everyone else, I am so saddened by this horrific story. Today made it worse for me. Seeing how incredibly close to home Jill was makes it so hard to comprehend how this happened to her.

The Duchess Boutique is so close to Hope Street. AB could easily have hid in any number of spots to jump out at her. There are all sorts of doorways and alcoves he could have hidden in.

The whole place had such an awful feel. I wanted to look at more but I just had to get out of there. It felt like I was intruding some place I had no right to be.

BBM. I had the same awful feeling about this whole area even before what happened to poor Jill, when I spent 4 weeks in Brunswick in Jan this year due to my partner being in the BPH. I was told not to walk alone around Syd Rd and to be cautious. I could not stand the vibe that I got from driving down Sydney Rd and looking at all the off streets, alleyways, old abandoned factories etc. JMO.

http://www.smh.com.au Reclaim the night to bring 1000 out in force, by Jonathan Swan October 27, 2012.

”I think Sydney has been equally outraged and devastated by Jill Meagher’s case,” said Kate O’Brien. At Hyde Park tomorrow night, more than 1000 are expected to attend Sydney’s Reclaim the Night … as Ms Meagher’s death has profoundly affected many people.

I haven't seen the article, so I don't know its tone/content but I am sure Jill's family already know all the details about ABs past. Police and prosecuters would have already told them, and probably more information about him, we and the press haven't been privy to.

I must seem like a cold person, because I don't really see the problem of an article mentioning his past, I think the public deserve to know what type of people have been let out on the streets. Is the article any different than if it were published in a newspaper?

I totally agree Love Coco and IMO you don't seem to be a cold person. It's just a shame that AB's prior history wasn't published in MSM prior to Jill's murder. It is also interesting to note that the Women's Weekly credit the Victorian Police for the images used of AB, which IMO would mean that they have sought and gained permission from Victoria Police to publish the photos.

MOO.

It states what he did to his rape victims and also some of the things he said to them. Without going into too much detail here for obvious reasons, it is fairly explicit in my opinion.

I totally agree Love Coco and IMO you don't seem to be a cold person. It's just a shame that AB's prior history wasn't published in MSM prior to Jill's murder. It is also interesting to note that the Women's Weekly credit the Victorian Police for the images used of AB, which IMO would mean that they have sought and gained permission from Victoria Police to publish the photos.

MOO.

Also WW lawyers would have looked over this story before being printed. WW would not have wanted all the issues to be recalled and trashed. Also at the end of the article it says that the story has not been published in Victoria.

There is nothing new in the story, that we hadn't already seen or read about here anyway.

Also WW lawyers would have looked over this story before being printed. WW would not have wanted all the issues to be recalled and trashed. Also at the end of the article it says that the story has not been published in Victoria.

There is nothing new in the story, that we hadn't already seen or read about here anyway.

Maybe...maybe not...dont forget the first jury in the Cobby case had to be dismissed and the trial aborted due to sloppy reporting of Michael Murphys past

I may have missed it on here....but I have not seen some of these details anywhere else.

It states what he did to his rape victims and also some of the things he said to them. Without going into too much detail here for obvious reasons, it is fairly explicit in my opinion.

If this is the case and the Vic Police & the Vic Govt. knew of his alleged past crimes, I suspect Jill's family could, should sue for allowing/knowing of the danger of this alleged perp walking freely amoung us, unsupervised. I'm sick of the judicial system letting alleged perps out with a 'little cut across the knuckles' to keep doing what they do. I, as a taxpayer, would welcome this and gladly see my taxes go to this grieving family. I know money won't return Jill to their loving arms or sooth their unbearable pain but possibly it could shake up the judicial system. Oh with second thoughts I doubt 'the system' would never learn. :banghead:

On the subject of 'Victim's of Crime' compensation, is hubby eligible?

On the subject of 'Victim's of Crime' compensation, is hubby eligible?
IMO victims of crime compensations just keeps it within the system and is only a 'token gesture' anyway. It does nothing to bring this matter before the Government Law makers for real change. The family have the option to sue if what is written above is correct. This could lead to real changes being made i.e. files marked 'Never To Be Released'. My opinion only.

Slowly slowly here.

Would love it to be a Anita free zone though.

Jill is Jill, god rest her pretty soul

The Anita reference is relevant as I was with the family when the first trial was aborted...it can and does happen...newspapers and magazines are run by human beings that make the odd mistake...that is the point being made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18