Found Deceased Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant first post. Great info Abbstar007!! :goodpost:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ka...y/news-story/e5140ff6f5cc1d49d115942a01e289ad

On Monday, Dean approached police directly at the taped area of Loch Rd where the body was found.
“I would have no problem standing up in a court of law and repeating what I saw,” Dean said.

“I’m quite convinced."

“My only purpose for coming forward to speak to the media is not to get publicity but to make sure the person responsible is caught — to make sure there is justice.”

The local dad and businessman also reported seeing bags of concrete and lime.

Also in July, News photographer Jay Town was walking in bush on the side of Loch Rd, about 40m from where the body would be found, when he came across empty bottles of industrial strength fertiliser.

Feeling uneasy, he phoned police then, and spoke to detectives this week.

http://www.thecorpseproject.net/decompositionscience/

Much research on how animal decomposition affects the soil takes place to help with analysing crime or archaeological scenes. Moisture, temperature and the nature of the soil are key factors in the rate of decay and, if these are understood and taken into account, the forensic scientist can work out how long the body has been there. Soil bacteria and chemical changes are also of interest to the forensic world – what they are and how long they have been there – because these changes can also suggest how long remains have been in place, influencing the microbial and chemical composition of the soil.

http://www.redcross.int/en/eric/eric/screen%20tome%201/09WATscreen/406DCHPLIMEQP5.pdf

Quick lime is used for covering of decomposing organic matters in order to avoid putrefaction smells and attraction of flies and various type scavengers.

On corpses: If deep burial is not possible, first spread quick lime in the pit, then place the corpse and cover it with quick lime (1kg of lime per 10kg of corpse weight).

LINK ORIGINALLY POSTED BY TGY :tyou:

https://bonesdontlie.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/new-morbid-terminology-quicklime/

Quicklime does have uses for burials. In the Red Cross Emergency Relief Items Catalogue, quicklime and lime are listed as a tool for aiding in proper disposal of human remains that cannot be afforded a deep burial. However, the goal of the product is not to destroy the body but rather to prevent putrefaction that create odor, and attracts flies and animals.

Lime is one of the major finds in many forensics cases dealing with clandestine burials due to this popular notion of its ability to remove the identity of the deceased and destroy the remains. A new study by Schotsmans et al. (2012) used pig corpses to test different types of lime to see how it changed the remains. The pigs were put into graves, covered with different types and amounts of lime, buried, and were left for six months. Two pigs were buried with lime as the control group. The pigs buried without lime were mostly skeletonized and highly decayed, the two pigs buried with hydrated lime were very well preserved and had little decay, and the two pigs buried with quicklime were fairly preserved with some decay within the body. In general, they discovered that the lime was highly effective in preventing decay and protecting the body, rather than destroying it.

The logs Karen was buried between does resemble a shallow pit, which would have aided the use of lime in the burial, if used. If lime was used by Borce, he didn't research the forensics enough to understand it would preserve, not destroy and remove Karen's identity.

I did a cyber drive down Loch Road using Instant Google Earth and amazingly the Google car traveled Loch Road in April 2008 (image date). It looked, narrow in some sections but easily travelled.

I'm a touch confused, which section of Lock Road was Karen found, closer to Salisbury or Bruce? Im trying to work out the map.

I did a cyber drive down Loch Road using Instant Google Earth and amazingly the Google car traveled Loch Road in April 2008 (image date). It looked, narrow in some sections but easily travelled.

I'm a touch confused, which section of Lock Road was Karen found, closer to Salisbury or Bruce? Im trying to work out the map.
I understood it was near the corner of Loch and Salisbury; south of Salisbury, east of Loch. ?

Brilliant first post. Great info Abbstar007!! :goodpost:

LINK ORIGINALLY POSTED BY TGY :tyou:

https://bonesdontlie.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/new-morbid-terminology-quicklime/

The pigs buried without lime were mostly skeletonized and highly decayed, the two pigs buried with hydrated lime were very well preserved and had little decay, and the two pigs buried with quicklime were fairly preserved with some decay within the body. In general, they discovered that the lime was highly effective in preventing decay and protecting the body, rather than destroying it.

:thankyou: positivevibes I now remember how interesting this article was.
So if lime actually preserves the body it could've preserved Karen's body.

the lime was highly effective in preventing decay and protecting the body, rather than destroying it.

Now wouldn't THAT be a turn of events!!
It would be shear laziness or stupidity for a murderer to leave those bags of lime there!

the lime was highly effective in preventing decay and protecting the body, rather than destroying it.

It would be shear laziness or stupidity for a murderer to leave those bags of lime there!

Absolutely TGY! Wouldn't that be brilliant!

The pigs were buried. Karen's remains were apparently exposed to the air and summer heat. She was found by the smell.

I understood it was near the corner of Loch and Salisbury; south of Salisbury, east of Loch. ?

I can't work it out because it appears no houses at Salisbury.

My brain hurts
I need a glass of rocket fuel. :D

The pigs were buried. Karen's remains were apparently exposed to the air and summer heat. She was found by the smell.

OK thankyou JLZ. It intrigues me that animals didn't disturb her.
If they did it hasn't been reported YET.

I can't work it out because it appears no houses at Salisbury.

My brain hurts
I need a glass of rocket fuel. :D
There are the houses on Blanche backing on to Salisbury. Further back along Salisbury there are also houses. Maybe you can't see them on street view as they're set back from the road.

Salisbury.PNG

Red Cross Emergency Relief Items Catalogue, quicklime and lime are listed as a tool for aiding in proper disposal of human remains that cannot be afforded a deep burial. However, the goal of the product is not to destroy the body but rather to prevent putrefaction that create odor, and attracts flies and animals.

Thank you JLZ. Would it require constant topping up of lime to avoid the putrefaction and odor? The Red Cross use quicklime when deep burial is not an option. But it would still have helped in preserving Karen in theory.

That would have been the effect of the lime, in theory.

OK maybe rain washed away the lime & it eventually stopped doing its job.

LIME - that's makes me think that could the 2nd location and the van delivered the lime as an afterthought.

I wonder if the Ipad was searched for these facts.

OK maybe rain washed away the lime & it eventually stopped doing its job.

LIME - that's makes me think that could the 2nd location and the van delivered the lime as an afterthought.

I wonder if the Ipad was searched for these facts.
I was thinking the between-logs location might have been chosen to try to hold the lime in place.

I refer to Allison Baden-Clay because that case is so similar in so many ways.

It wasn't until the hearing that we were told there was blood in her car and she had a chipped tooth, injuries. Even so LE still conducted research about if Alison's car travelled the roundabout. IIRC there was another Captiva in the area and they had to eliminate that.

Sounding familiar? We'll know so much more after an arrest and the wheels of justice are set in motion.
I Cant wait!

I was thinking the between-logs location might have been chosen to try to hold the lime in place.

Thinking the same thing JLZ.

From the Redcross website On corpses: If deep burial is not possible, first spread quick lime in the pit, then place the corpse and cover it with quick lime

I am enjoying reading about quick lime but if the lime bags were found with concrete bags, as suggested in the article, isn't it likely that they were just from someone using lime as a concrete additive?
Sadly a lot of lazy people use state forests to dump rubbish..... and occasionally bodies [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am enjoying reading about quick lime but if the lime bags were found with concrete bags, as suggested in the article, isn't it likely that they were just from someone using lime as a concrete additive?
Sadly a lot of lazy people use state forests to dump rubbish..... and occasionally bodies [emoji22]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely Oona. That's definitely a possibility. There were posts in earlier threads discussing how people may have dumped lime, concrete bags and fertiliser as rubbish. Maybe each batch of rubbish was dumped by different people. We don't know. But lime and concrete together definitely make sense.

I guess we won't really know until all the details are released when an arrest is made and goes before the court.

I never thought I'd be googling and reading about lime use in burials in a million years. Gives me the creeps.

But like TGY I'm wondering LIME - that's makes me think that could the 2nd location and the van delivered the lime as an afterthought.

TGY ...

The spot is about 250mtrs in ....on Loch Road .... Salisbury end.

The last lot of houses on Salisbury are just before Loch Road ..... they are set a fair bit back on thr blocks...with their driveways somewhat obscured by the trees...

I'll try to upload a google image of the spot on the road ..... hope it works...

attachment.php
Hoping...it has the long/lat at bottom of pic....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-29-18-10-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-29-18-10-48.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 239
Hi Sleuth team!

I'm new. I have been lurking for a long time and I apologise in advance for the length in my post but Karen is frequently on my mind although I never knew her, I often think about the injustice here for Karen and something compells me to write on here because I do for some reason think of Karen.

I have worked for Mercedes-Benz for 6 years, the last 3 being in the service and repairs department. So I would like to provide my opinion where I can on the car.

- if the fuel gauge wasn't working a fault would be recorded for it in the cars computer. A licensed Mercedes dealership can plug in and provide a printout of the fault code recorded and the amount of times it occurred but not usually the date or time however that info possibly could be accessible from Germany. If the fault occurred as BR describes - the fault "correcting" itself after hitting a bump, it suggests an electrical intermittent issue with the fuel gauge or fuel sender unit so a fault would definately record in the system. If BR visited a dealership and had the codes cleared before police were able to access the vehicle, then there would be no fault showing and this would not work in BR favour to do so. It would be EXTREMELY hard for a person to create the fault themselves as they would virtually need to be an MB Technician.

- Secondly, Mercedes are extremely advanced when it comes to handling, traction control ect. People who do not drive Mercedes or haven't driven them (CR??) would highly under estimate the type of terrain they are capable of driving on/getting out of muddy areas/snow/hard tracks. Yes the car may be low, but definately capable of driving in muddy, bushy areas as they are very robust and I regularly took my C Class off road into 4WD bush areas with no trouble as the vehicles counteracts uneven terrain by electronically allocating more power to the wheel that it in contact with the ground allowing to get yourself out of tricky situations. Also hard to cause damage and scratches as they use quality paint and flexible moulded bumpers that can handle a good amount of roughing it. Which would make sense why a van would easily get bogged in this situation and her Mercedes would not.

I tend to agree that VR is involved and think it is highly possible that BR has dumped Karen early in the day and possibly returning with VR to move her after dark. This would explain the SLK trip early in the day and then the witnesses spotting the van. The fact that the Mercedes stops at different points around diggers rest etc suggests he is not really sure what he is doing or where he is going?

I read here someone said Sarah may be in protective custody I can completely agree with that because if she had nothing to do with her Mums death can you imagine how much her safety is at stake to still be living with BR for this long with no prosecution, no resolution and the pressure on him mounting? When I put myself in her shoes I cannot even imagine what it would be like to have to live with my father whom all evidence points to him killing her? Gosh I cannot even comprehend to wake up every day and go on with your life wondering if you are next? I would not even be able to look him in the eye.

That's an invaluable first post there Abbstar. Thanks so much. We've heard previously that it would be unusual to have a faulty fuel gauge in a Mercedes. Is that correct in your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne