Australia Australia - Kathleen Riethmuller, 28, backpack found with personal items, Sydney, 28 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know exactly
what items she purchased at Bunnings (I can confirm the retail store was Bunnings as per photo) Were these items found along with her backpack? was her phone found in close proximity to her backpack? Does anyone know exactly where the bag was found on Centennial Ave? Centennial
is on both sides of Epping road. Was it more closer to Mowbray road (Lane Cove North) or on the other side (south end) of Epping road?

Attachments

• C2A03477-65CA-4212-A24B-9641069B40D5.jpeg
    C2A03477-65CA-4212-A24B-9641069B40D5.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 53
Why is their lack of media attention in this missing person case?
Yes, I know many people go missing every year in this state, but surely the finding of her belongings found on a busy road makes this case disturbing and intriguing (the reason I'm here). This should have made top story on the Sydney evening news and on DT, DM, and SMH etc. As is didn't, it leads me to believe that police know there is nothing sinister about the disappearance. I really hope she is just taking time off the grid to heal and work things out.

If she was not responsible for her own disappearance, then there is the possible scenario she waited for the opportunity to throw her items out the window of the car onto the busy road knowing it would trigger a rapidly evolving investigation into her disappearance once the personal contents in the bag were discovered.

Many people would have seen her on Thursday 28th October (e.g. Drivers of cars and people walking around the locations of interest) but don't follow social media NSW police pages or subscribe/pay to view online news. With the technology we have today, surely there would be a significant digital trail for police to work through. For example, Bunnings' car park CCTV cameras, CCTV cameras of Artarmon and Lane Cove shops + houses (e.g. possibly cloud based cameras), dashcam in passing vehicles (buses/cars).

I wonder if she drove (own car or rental?), took a bus, uber, or someone she knows drove her, or she simply walked. If she walked, it looks like she would have had her hands full with the Bunning items and it would have been an uncomfortable walk given the distance and heat. I wonder if the Bunnings items she purchased were found?

This was the weather on the day she went missing. It was a warm day.
Forecast issued at 4:45 am EDT on Thursday 28 October 2021.
Sydney Forecast

Friends have since launched a social media page dedicated to finding her.

e1b288a023ff05b02951966703631460

“It is possible that she is in need of medical assistance,” a post on the page reads.

“Her family is based in Brisbane and due to Covid restrictions are unable to be on foot in Sydney.

“We are hopeful that reaching out as far and wide as possible can assist in getting her home safely.”

Ms Riethmuller was known to frequent a unit on King St in Sydney and backpacker’s accommodation on Sir John Young Cr in Woolloomooloo in the weeks leading up to her disappearance.
Backpack find after Sydney woman vanished

I have shared on Facebook. Surely police would be able to check if there has been activity on her accounts.

Friends have since launched a social media page dedicated to finding her.

e1b288a023ff05b02951966703631460

“It is possible that she is in need of medical assistance,” a post on the page reads.

“Her family is based in Brisbane and due to Covid restrictions are unable to be on foot in Sydney.

“We are hopeful that reaching out as far and wide as possible can assist in getting her home safely.”

Ms Riethmuller was known to frequent a unit on King St in Sydney and backpacker’s accommodation on Sir John Young Cr in Woolloomooloo in the weeks leading up to her disappearance.
Backpack find after Sydney woman vanished

I think the page referred to I mentioned previously, but here it is again for those interested.

Help FIND Kathleen Riethmuller

In my opinion articles like this may be a distraction to look like maybe this disappearance is deliberate, but leaving backpack in the road for me is very worrying. Im worried there may have been a struggle to get Kathleen in a vehicle.

If she went to Lane Cove from Reserve Road Artarmon, on her own accord, it would be more likely that she passed through Longueville or Burns Bay Road where there are shops, cafes etc.

There is nothing on Centennial Ave for someone not local. Little foot traffic. And in order for her backpack to have landed somewhere over there, she had to be walking on the street, whether she had taken a bus or went by car to get there. Unless, as some of you have suggested, the backpack was thrown out of a vehicle... Or someone else disposed of it there.

I know that area quite well, my sister used to live in Lane Cove.

Centennial Avenue Speedway - In the Cove

This local publication tells you a lot about Centennial Ave. Yes there are cameras, but speed cameras..

Does anyone know anyone with a ring door bell or exterior cameras that could have possibly captured her walking along there?

Maybe you can contact ITC above, and ask them to post that request to their readers? There may also be social media pages for the Lane Cove community.

Glad to read this case is gaining momentum and getting much needed exposure in online news such as Daily Mail & Daily Telegraph.

From the latest police released image (see attached) she looks to be a passenger in a SUV. Was this an Uber (or equivalent ride service) trip. For some reason, the police did not reveal too much about the car. Perhaps, it's not considered to be significant to the case. Who knows, it may well be a confirmed point-to-point Uber (or other ride service) trip that occurred earlier in the day.

If not an uber (or similar ride service), then someone she knows drove her around that hot sunny day. Someone she is comfortable with where she doesn't bother to wear a face mask in the car. That someone either rented or owns a micron grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander badged model^^. In the police released photo, it certainly looks like the top of the range 2018, 2019 or 2020 model Hyundai Tucson.

If Police consider the car significant, providing details about the make/model to the public (via media) may provide some helpful information to those who have dashcam or CCTV/Webcams outside their business or home (around main roads of Lane Cove, Artarmon, North Sydney, Crows Nest, Greenwich, Riverview, and St Leonards). Most popular CCTV/webcams and some dashcams offer cost effective cloud backup subscription service that store video recordings for a month or two (Arlo 30 days and Ring 60 days).
Or there is the possibility of a grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander with NSW number plates cruising the streets of Melbourne. From latest news articles, Police believe she may have traveled there for work opportunities.

@ubair, do you know what side of Centennial drive (Southbound or northbound) her items were found, where exactly on Centennial Dr, and what time?

If northbound (towards Lane Cove North) then she may have come up to Centennial drive from Burns Bay Road. There was a confirmed sighting in North Sydney in the afternoon (Bunnings sighting was in the late morning). The route many would take from North Syd to Centennial drive during the late afternoon would be via Greenwich. Specifically, the route that takes you along River Road, Norwood Road, River Road W, Bridge Penrose Streets, and right onto Burns Bay road.
Or she ended up back in the city after North Sydney and took the Victoria Road route over the Gladesville Bridge to Centennial via Burns Bay Road?
In the comments of a Facebook NSW police post relating to the case, two passing motorists mentioned they saw a similar looking woman sitting under the Hunters Hill overpass on Burns Bay Road around 6.30pm on the day she went missing. They did not say what side of the road. This is an odd place to sit as there is no pedestrian access. The poster of the comment did say they passed on this information to Crimestoppers.

If southbound (heading towards Burns Bay Road), then I would assume Police have checked CCTV of the BP service station on the corner of Epping Road and Centennial drive and other locations between the obvious routes (Pacific Highway or Freeway to Epping road) to Centennial Drive from North Sydney. There is also a Motorcycle dealership on the corner of Epping Road and Centennial and should have CCTV.

Were the items she purchased from Bunnings located also on Centennial drive?

Also, another observation is her Gumtree profile now shows 6 items listed for sale as of today. A few weeks ago, there were 11 or 13 items. Can someone verify if Gumtree pulls seller ads after a period of time, or if a listing can be set to auto delete after the seller sets a duration. If no, then someone has deleted 5 or more ads.

^^ This is just by my observation only and not confirmed. Compare for yourself. If you focus on the antenna, contours of doors, under door side skirting, panoramic sunroof.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 46
  • police supplied photo.jpg
    police supplied photo.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 43
If she went to Lane Cove from Reserve Road Artarmon, on her own accord, it would be more likely that she passed through Longueville or Burns Bay Road where there are shops, cafes etc.

There is nothing on Centennial Ave for someone not local. Little foot traffic. And in order for her backpack to have landed somewhere over there, she had to be walking on the street, whether she had taken a bus or went by car to get there. Unless, as some of you have suggested, the backpack was thrown out of a vehicle... Or someone else disposed of it there.

I know that area quite well, my sister used to live in Lane Cove.

From New twist in case of Kathleen Riethmuller who went missing during a trip to north Sydney shops | Daily Mail Online
  • She was last seen about 11.40 at Bunnings Artarmon and at 2pm in North Sydney

Last edited:
Glad to read this case is gaining momentum and getting much needed exposure in online news such as Daily Mail & Daily Telegraph.

From the latest police released image (see attached) she looks to be a passenger in a SUV. Was this an Uber (or equivalent ride service) trip. For some reason, the police did not reveal too much about the car. Perhaps, it's not considered to be significant to the case. Who knows, it may well be a confirmed point-to-point Uber (or other ride service) trip that occurred earlier in the day.

If not an uber (or similar ride service), then someone she knows drove her around that hot sunny day. Someone she is comfortable with where she doesn't bother to wear a face mask in the car. That someone either rented or owns a micron grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander badged model^^. In the police released photo, it certainly looks like the top of the range 2018, 2019 or 2020 model Hyundai Tucson.

If Police consider the car significant, providing details about the make/model to the public (via media) may provide some helpful information to those who have dashcam or CCTV/Webcams outside their business or home (around main roads of Lane Cove, Artarmon, North Sydney, Crows Nest, Greenwich, Riverview, and St Leonards). Most popular CCTV/webcams and some dashcams offer cost effective cloud backup subscription service that store video recordings for a month or two (Arlo 30 days and Ring 60 days).
Or there is the possibility of a grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander with NSW number plates cruising the streets of Melbourne. From latest news articles, Police believe she may have traveled there for work opportunities.

@ubair, do you know what side of Centennial drive (Southbound or northbound) her items were found, where exactly on Centennial Dr, and what time?

If northbound (towards Lane Cove North) then she may have come up to Centennial drive from Burns Bay Road. There was a confirmed sighting in North Sydney in the afternoon (Bunnings sighting was in the late morning). The route many would take from North Syd to Centennial drive during the late afternoon would be via Greenwich. Specifically, the route that takes you along River Road, Norwood Road, River Road W, Bridge Penrose Streets, and right onto Burns Bay road.
Or she ended up back in the city after North Sydney and took the Victoria Road route over the Gladesville Bridge to Centennial via Burns Bay Road?
In the comments of a Facebook NSW police post relating to the case, two passing motorists mentioned they saw a similar looking woman sitting under the Hunters Hill overpass on Burns Bay Road around 6.30pm on the day she went missing. They did not say what side of the road. This is an odd place to sit as there is no pedestrian access. The poster of the comment did say they passed on this information to Crimestoppers.

If southbound (heading towards Burns Bay Road), then I would assume Police have checked CCTV of the BP service station on the corner of Epping Road and Centennial drive and other locations between the obvious routes (Pacific Highway or Freeway to Epping road) to Centennial Drive from North Sydney. There is also a Motorcycle dealership on the corner of Epping Road and Centennial and should have CCTV.

Were the items she purchased from Bunnings located also on Centennial drive?

Also, another observation is her Gumtree profile now shows 6 items listed for sale as of today. A few weeks ago, there were 11 or 13 items. Can someone verify if Gumtree pulls seller ads after a period of time, or if a listing can be set to auto delete after the seller sets a duration. If no, then someone has deleted 5 or more ads.

^^ This is just by my observation only and not confirmed. Compare for yourself. If you focus on the antenna, contours of doors, under door side skirting, panoramic sunroof.

Hi there first time posting so not sure I’m doing this correctly.

I believe gumtree ads automatically expire after certain periods of time and you then have the option to log on and re-post the ad.

also just taking note of the photo of Kathleen getting out of the car.

IMO if it was an Uber or ride share wouldn’t she be more inclined to sit in the back instead of the front passenger side.

It just seems with Covid and having just come out of lockdown (in Sydney) not to long prior to her disappearing that you wouldn’t want to sit up front next to a stranger. So I could see the driver being someone she may know or is comfortable with MOO

Welcome to all new members posting here :) I should thank you first for your contributions :)

IMO if it was an Uber or ride share wouldn’t she be more inclined to sit in the back instead of the front passenger side.

It just seems with Covid and having just come out of lockdown (in Sydney) not to long prior to her disappearing that you wouldn’t want to sit up front next to a stranger. So I could see the driver being someone she may know or is comfortable with MOO
I may also add that she seemed to get out of the car without her backpack, in that newer photo.

Either she had already disposed of her backpack by then, or she felt comfortable leaving it in the car.

I cannot verify in the media (including NSW police's FB appeals) when and where that photo was taken though. Can we assume that was North Sydney??

ETA: I hope the police are busy checking all CCTV at and around Bunnings and North Sydney for that car

Hi there first time posting so not sure I’m doing this correctly.

I believe gumtree ads automatically expire after certain periods of time and you then have the option to log on and re-post the ad.

Thank you. I noticed this morning that all gumtree ads have now expired. And yeah, spot on regarding Uber. If I were to catch an uber it would be the back seat always (especially with COVID).

Thank you. I noticed this morning that all gumtree ads have now expired. And yeah, spot on regarding Uber. If I were to catch an uber it would be the back seat always (especially with COVID).
In my experience it is very common for the passenger to sit up front with the driver in Australia. I see nothing strange about that at all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*
Back