Australia Australia - Kylie Blackwood, 42, Pakenham, Vic, 1 Aug 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So within the time frame of two hours three attempts were made. As most know, three attempts & you're out if it's the wrong pin#. Sounds like he must have thought he had the correct number.

And where was he when not at the ATM during those two hours.

Maybe someone supplied this perp with the wrong PIN number?

:waitasec:

And then there's this in one of the articles .... very interesting. They could know exactly what has happened, but just cannot prove it all yet.

"Police have interviewed several people of interest but have not laid a charge."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...after-her-murder/story-fni0fee2-1226948551419

Good points....

I think it is interesting that this information is being reported now...

I wonder what prompted the news release?:waitasec:

I am hoping LE is zeroing in on the perp... And need more evidence to make an arrest... :please:

All... JMO...

So this video from Channel 7 makes it seem like she had bought something online with her credit card and then it was laying by the computer when she was killed. They said she made a purchase in the 'afternoon' - and we know now he started trying to use the ATM at 12.30 - so I assume she had just completed that when he came in.

So maybe, as in the video dramatisation here, the killer just grabbed the card as it was laying there in open view. Maybe he didn't rifle through her purse and take only one credit card. That makes more sense to me - I felt the taking of the credit card was opportunistic, rather than the main goal. JMO

And maybe he forced her to tell him her PIN and she gave him a fake one.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/24197989/critical-mistake-leaves-killer-free/

Okay... Now I see that the credit card taken by the guy was probably left out by the computer as Kylie had been making an online purchase....

JMO

This latest story doesn't make any sense! First of all why would the bank say no activity on the account if she'd made on online purchase that day. I really don't believe the banks with todays technology and knowing it was a police investigation would overlook something as significant as three incorrect pin attempts. Also how could a murderer be so stupid to try and withdraw cash at a security monitored ATM yet be so cunning as to get away with this crime. I am also pretty sure ATM's retain your card on the third incorrect pin attempt. I think the police have made up this whole fictitious story to hopefully get the perpetrator to relax thinking the police are on the wrong track or to maybe speak about it if they are being monitored. I recall something similar happening in the Bandali/Debs investigation.

This latest story doesn't make any sense! First of all why would the bank say no activity on the account if she'd made on online purchase that day. I really don't believe the banks with todays technology and knowing it was a police investigation would overlook something as significant as three incorrect pin attempts. Also how could a murderer be so stupid to try and withdraw cash at a security monitored ATM yet be so cunning as to get away with this crime. I am also pretty sure ATM's retain your card on the third incorrect pin attempt. I think the police have made up this whole fictitious story to hopefully get the perpetrator to relax thinking the police are on the wrong track or to maybe speak about it if they are being monitored. I recall something similar happening in the Bandali/Debs investigation.

Thank you, Missjones!!!:seeya:

And welcome to the thread!!!:welcome6:

You are SO right - of course the machine eats your card on the third try!!

None of this latest news has sat right with me.

I seriously hope you are correct re LE doing this as part of some plan.......because none of the present story makes any sense at all!!!

:welcome: Missjones!

You make some great points in your first post on WS!

:seeya:

I don't think an ATM always keeps a card at 3 unsuccessful PIN attempts. Maybe some banks do, but the ANZ, for example, just blocks the card from use until midnight when a reset happens. If you try a 4th time, however, it will take your card.

"The EFTPOS system blocks the card after three incorrect PIN tries, but the card is still usable on the ATM network. If you are an ANZ cardholder and know the original PIN, you can change it at any ANZ ATM. However, changing the PIN at an ATM will not unblock the card from the EFTPOS system until the midnight reset. On the other hand, if you exceed PIN tries at an ATM, your card will be retained by the ATM."

http://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/faqs/security-faqs/

Thank you for the welcome! We have such a great police force here in Victoria. Look how quick they tracked down Jill Meagher's murderer and at that stage it was a missing person investigation. I'm sure the police have some very strong leads but are just making sure they have sufficient evidence before making an arrest. Nothing about this case has made any sense. It really never seemed like a random opportunistic attack and more like a targeted attack. I can't recall once the police urging people to be vigilent and requesting people in the area to take extra care like they usually do when there's a killer on the loose. I believe they had a strong idea from the start who the culprit was and it's taken them this long to gather sufficient evidence. The question is why and who? I'm sure it won't be long until we find out.

I don't think an ATM always keeps a card at 3 unsuccessful PIN attempts. Maybe some banks do, but the ANZ, for example, just blocks the card from use until midnight when a reset happens. If you try a 4th time, however, it will take your card.

"The EFTPOS system blocks the card after three incorrect PIN tries, but the card is still usable on the ATM network. If you are an ANZ cardholder and know the original PIN, you can change it at any ANZ ATM. However, changing the PIN at an ATM will not unblock the card from the EFTPOS system until the midnight reset. On the other hand, if you exceed PIN tries at an ATM, your card will be retained by the ATM."

http://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/faqs/security-faqs/

Thanks for that info. But even if the card was blocked and not retained surely that would have shown up as suspicious activity when they were looking at her account at the police departments request. They were dealing with a murder investigation so surely the bank would have been requested to have a really thorough look into her account not just a quick glance. It just doesn't ring true that the bank could have made such a massive mistake but then months later go "oh actually, someone made 3 attempted withdrawals in Main St Packenham". I just don't buy it. Also, isn't Main St, Pakenham the street where Peter Blackwood's office is?

Thanks for that info. But even if the card was blocked and not retained surely that would have shown up as suspicious activity when they were looking at her account at the police departments request. They were dealing with a murder investigation so surely the bank would have been requested to have a really thorough look into her account not just a quick glance. It just doesn't ring true that the bank could have made such a massive mistake but then months later go "oh actually, someone made 3 attempted withdrawals in Main St Packenham". I just don't buy it. Also, isn't Main St, Pakenham the street where Peter Blackwood's office is?

Yes, I agree. It was a pretty stupid oversight. Apparently they didn’t notice until they were informed a credit card was missing and looked further.

Credit card departments are often run separately from the bank (ever notice how bank staff can’t update your credit card details, or readily access the transaction record, they have to get the credit card area to do it?)

But it is no excuse for them not having the credit card department run a check on any cards in the name of Kylie Blackwood, K Blackwood, Mrs Kylie Blackwood, Kylie Whitta, Kylie Louise Blackwood, etc etc.

Thank you for the welcome! We have such a great police force here in Victoria. Look how quick they tracked down Jill Meagher's murderer and at that stage it was a missing person investigation. I'm sure the police have some very strong leads but are just making sure they have sufficient evidence before making an arrest. Nothing about this case has made any sense. It really never seemed like a random opportunistic attack and more like a targeted attack. I can't recall once the police urging people to be vigilent and requesting people in the area to take extra care like they usually do when there's a killer on the loose. I believe they had a strong idea from the start who the culprit was and it's taken them this long to gather sufficient evidence. The question is why and who? I'm sure it won't be long until we find out.

(bbm) I pray that you are right!!!:please:

It's about time the murderer was brought to justice. :jail:

I'm sure we WSer's all have our suspicions of who it is - let's see if we're right!!!:seeya:

I completely agree with everything you just said. It just wouldn't happen like that IMO.:moo:

So police quietly believe that greed was the motive for Kylie's murder ... and yet only one credit card was opportunistically taken ... nothing else. Kylie always seemed to be wearing jewellery in her photos. So where does the greed come in .. life insurance?

"Publicly, police have not spoken about the motivation for Kylie's murder - privately though, they have always believed this was a crime that came from greed.

The only thing stolen from the Blackwood home on that afternoon was Kylie's credit card."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/24197735/bank-blunder-hampers-murder-investigation/

Yet another thing that doesn't add up! If they were motivated by greed surely they would take jewellery or cash not just a credit card. How would they even know how much credit she had. Would be interesting to know if she had a significant amount of life insurance.

Yet another thing that doesn't add up! If they were motivated by greed surely they would take jewellery or cash not just a credit card. How would they even know how much credit she had. Would be interesting to know if she had a significant amount of life insurance.

Yeah - I'd love to know about life insurance.

Many times on this case I've wished I was a detective with access to the insider info!:banghead:

There's way more going on here than some random intruder stealing one credit card IMO.

Nice first post, Missjones, bit of an 'emperor's new clothes' moment there.

Our cops here in Vic have done such a great job in clearing homicide cases these past few years, both new crimes and old ones. Hoping they'll keep up the good work and catch a break in this case.

I wonder when the credit card realisation happened. It had to have been at least a few weeks after Kylie's murder, as an article said that after a few weeks the CCTV vision was gone.

But ... perhaps there is other CCTV on that street that wasn't erased or recorded over.

I wonder when the credit card realisation happened. It had to have been at least a few weeks after Kylie's murder, as an article said that after a few weeks the CCTV vision was gone.

But ... perhaps there is other CCTV on that street that wasn't erased or recorded over.

Unless there really wasn't any credit card realisation at all......unless it is all just a tactical ruse by LE.........

New accomplice theory and CCTV footage may be key to solving murder of Pakenham mum Kylie Blackwood

June 10, 2014 9:00PM

DETECTIVES investigating the murder of Pakenham mum Kylie Blackwood are scanning hundreds of hours of CCTV footage - retrieving some that had been deleted - in a bid to identify a killer they suspect may be a local.

The homicide squad also suspects the killer may have had an accomplice.

Detectives are reviewing extensive footage from cameras in shops and businesses and on the streets in Pakenham.

A burglary gone wrong is now the inquiry’s focus.

Detectives are also looking into whether there was an accomplice and if a car was used to flee the scene.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...-kylie-blackwood/story-fni0fee2-1226949886254

A photofit of a man police are looking for in relation to the murder. Source: Supplied

887524-9f2575e0-f078-11e3-8da8-726202433ee0.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...-kylie-blackwood/story-fni0fee2-1226949886254

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27
Back