GUILTY Australia - Kylie Maybury, 6, abducted & murdered, Preston, Vic, 6 Nov 1984

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been reading here for a while now and I just wanted to comment on a few things that have been mentioned. These streets surrounding the reserve are residential, including the street where Kylie lived, there's no industrial area apart from a few work shops and factories behind shops on plenty rd.

I haven't posted a map ( still getting my head around posting) but If you have a look at the map that Prime suspect posted you'll see that Murray rd, Albert St including wood and Tyler Streets all bring you back to plenty rd in one big circle, these streets are main thoroughfares through this area. Albert St faces the front of the reserve where Kylie was found and on the corner of Albert and Bell St is KFC which was there in 1984 and if you travel back along Bell St it will bring you to the intersection of Plenty Rd. Maybe the murderer lived local or kept Kylie in the car the majority of the time as there wouldn't be much open on Melbourne Cup day back then including Northland Shopping Cntre which leads on to Merri creek. That area would have not had many people around as the shopping centre would have closed early or not been open at all.

Kylie was strangled to death, according to the police. That's a very personal way of killing someone, as opposed to using a knife or a gun. Might help in the psych profile of the killer.

I don't know the statistics but Ive read that a lot of children are murdered by strangulation, just easier

I've been reading here for a while now and I just wanted to comment on a few things that have been mentioned. These streets surrounding the reserve are residential, including the street where Kylie lived, there's no industrial area apart from a few work shops and factories behind shops on plenty rd.

Which is the area she was taken from. I don't think anyone's said she was found in an industrial area. Donald St is clearly residential.

Welcome to the thread!

I don't know the statistics but Ive read that a lot of children are murdered by strangulation, just easier

I thought she was "suffocated in the process of being assaulted" -- I think it's quite important to establish whether it was this, or actual strangulation, as the two are quite different actions.

And yep, I'd agree it doesn't need to be especially personal, kids are easy to strangle and this is why it's such an incredibly common cause of death in murders both by familiar persons and strangers.

Kylie was strangled to death, according to the police. That's a very personal way of killing someone, as opposed to using a knife or a gun. Might help in the psych profile of the killer.

and quiet too. He can walk away with no visible signs of blood on his hands and clothing. His house and car clean also, except for tiny fragments unseen, such as a strand of Kylie's hair or clothing. But they'd have to find a culprit first. :(

The police have indicated it was strangulation. I'd be inclined to discount the newspaper reports about suffocation, given what my cold case squad contact said about cold cases becoming encrusted with mythology thanks to the media.

Hi Ausgirl, about the strangulation, that was just a reply to Paul1980 and about the industrial area it was commented here that she was taken from an industrial area (not by you) I know I waffled on a bit in my first post as I'm not used to putting my thoughts into written words but I thought as Im familiar with this area, that I'd just comment about some things that's been reported in the media in relation to where Kylie went missing from to where she was found. ��

I hope i get some communication from Derryn Hinch and the cold case detective. About Kylie's short hair in the famous photo - that was common for girls in the mid eighties even in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne where i lived.

The police have indicated it was strangulation. I'd be inclined to discount the newspaper reports about suffocation, given what my cold case squad contact said about cold cases becoming encrusted with mythology thanks to the media.

I know the media has a knack for distorting the facts but a newspaper report from 1986 quotes the coroner as saying Kylie died from asphyxiation and was "unlawfully and maliciously suffocated by person or persons unknown". The lengthy article at the beginning of this thread, of which the author seems to have worked with cold case detectives, also says she was suffocated. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but your source is unverified to us whereas the two articles I've mentioned seem relatively reliable.

Well, to speak for myself here... I would not do the same, but plenty of people did back then, was the point of of what I was saying. We were a much more trusting country than we are now.

Thanks to so-and-sos, like the one who took little Kylie. Why we do not treat these criminals - on their first offense - exactly the same way we treat murderers, I will never know. Six months, five years in jail for raping a tiny body, and they're out there doing it all over again only they learn to kill their prey so they don't go back to jail.

Dun get me started. I have an abyss of rage for the way things are.

Ausgirl sadly I agree with you :maddening:
We are out in the sticks now, but still access Melbourne news.
Melbourne really has done a flip (for the worse) over the last 20 -30 years.
Going " Hicksville " was a great way of life for bringing up our 3 kids, but
It's also changing out here as well (drug related crime increasing etc)
We moved late 80s -early 90s, when Mr Cruel was still fresh in everyone's mind.

I'll recheck with the Detective Senior Constable. He seemed keen to help us.
I really resent having my information being questioned by some people on the thread when I've gone to extensive efforts to talk to police involved in the case. I care about Kylie Maybury and i want this solved.

I know the media has a knack for distorting the facts but a newspaper report from 1986 quotes the coroner as saying Kylie died from asphyxiation and was "unlawfully and maliciously suffocated by person or persons unknown". The lengthy article at the beginning of this thread, of which the author seems to have worked with cold case detectives, also says she was suffocated. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but your source is unverified to us whereas the two articles I've mentioned seem relatively reliable.

BBM what made them so sure it was an unknown person i wonder?

I haven't heard back since i gave him a link to the thread here. I hope we haven't freaked them out.

Hi Ausgirl, about the strangulation, that was just a reply to Paul1980 and about the industrial area it was commented here that she was taken from an industrial area (not by you) I know I waffled on a bit in my first post as I'm not used to putting my thoughts into written words but I thought as Im familiar with this area, that I'd just comment about some things that's been reported in the media in relation to where Kylie went missing from to where she was found. ��

Feel free to waffle, though! Gods know, I do often enough. It's nice to have some more people on the thread. :)

Just letting people know that Undercurrents' spiritual successor on the Community Radio network recently advocated "understanding" paedophiles and saying that we should "give consideration" to allowing paedo teachers to teach again after they have been "rehabilitated".

I'm so done with rockspider apologia.

Just a question for the moderator of this thread - I have access to newspaper articles from 1992 onwards through my university. Is it ok to post 1990s articles about Kylie in the thread?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back