Australia Australia - Leisl Smith, 23, Wallarah, NSW, 19 Aug 2012 *arrest in 2019, died during trial*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Imperial Night:
Your belief is correct. Also, speculating just adds to rumours and stresses us all out. We are trying to stay positive and remain hopeful that she will return to us and that she simply felt, for whatever reason, that there was no other option.

She was involved with someone and as mentioned, all leads have been investigated, and in some cases are still being investigated.

AS for our mother: She left our family when we were quite young. Her choice and for various reasons, we have nothing to do with her. She chose to make the decision she did and we will leave it at that.

We do believe that she was possibly meeting someone, what we don't know is why and where. Or the reason(s) for not coming home that evening.

Official Page as sanctioned by her family:

www.facebook.com/MissingLeislSmith.

Cheers,
J
Hi, I agree with you about speculation and it can perpetuate and before you know it you are dizzy with confusion and it's so draining.
So sorry to hear that your family went through a split, but you sound very grounded and united where it counts - that comes from getting through tough times coz it brings you closer together.... Hopefully Leisl will draw on that and come back to the ones who truly love her...
Also, I know there was a Bird and Poultry venue Opening Day on the 19th August right next to the Train Station, so maybe someone saw her and maybe she attended?? Maybe you can see if they have CCTV footage? I'd say that area would have been very busy that day.
I do have faith in the Police and they are very thorough and will follow up on everything, but from my experience it can seem frustrating as you wait for progress as the process can be like panning for gold, you get some specks and if you keep it up, you'll get a nugget eventually <3 Take Care

Imperial-Knight

Hi, I agree with you about speculation and it can perpetuate and before you know it you are dizzy with confusion and it's so draining.
So sorry to hear that your family went through a split, but you sound very grounded and united where it counts - that comes from getting through tough times coz it brings you closer together.... Hopefully Leisl will draw on that and come back to the ones who truly love her...
Also, I know there was a Bird and Poultry venue Opening Day on the 19th August right next to the Train Station, so maybe someone saw her and maybe she attended?? Maybe you can see if they have CCTV footage? I'd say that area would have been very busy that day.
I do have faith in the Police and they are very thorough and will follow up on everything, but from my experience it can seem frustrating as you wait for progress as the process can be like panning for gold, you get some specks and if you keep it up, you'll get a nugget eventually <3 Take Care

Imperial-Knight

Essentially there is no other CCTV footage other than what was at the train station and shopping centre.

Yes, it is frustrating! Especially when you hear all the lies and half truths that people seem so intent on spreading for no other reason other than to promote themselves and the associated drama.

We have had some information be passed onto us regarding a person of interest and have asked the person concerned to ring Crimestoppers. Hopefully it will be followed up and something comes of it.

It's always that tiny little detail that people always think is never important.

Essentially there is no other CCTV footage other than what was at the train station and shopping centre.

Yes, it is frustrating! Especially when you hear all the lies and half truths that people seem so intent on spreading for no other reason other than to promote themselves and the associated drama.

We have had some information be passed onto us regarding a person of interest and have asked the person concerned to ring Crimestoppers. Hopefully it will be followed up and something comes of it.

It's always that tiny little detail that people always think is never important.

:bump: Bumping for Leisl :rose:

Hi Everyone,

Our dad went in and spoke to the OIC yesterday. Contrary to other information floating around, there have been NO positive sightings of Leisl. Some information did come through to us and we asked the person concerned to please pass it on to Crimestoppers which they did and we are grateful for.
There is a lot of investigative work going on however, and as much as we would love to share details, the police are currently not at liberty (not even with us) to discuss the ongoing investigation, as it may compromise things. While frustrating, this is understandable.

The webpage that we have set up is:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/MissingLeislSmith

Please join, and help spread the word.

Regards,
J

Just saw Leisl's poster on FB and it prompted me to share it and come in here to check again for updates.
I'm sad that she's not found, but happy to see that the poster is still being shared. ARDC (Australian Roller Derby Coalition) is currently sharing it, so hopefully the very large derby community will get behind it too.

Thinking of you Leisl and your family xo

Just saw Leisl's poster on FB and it prompted me to share it and come in here to check again for updates.
I'm sad that she's not found, but happy to see that the poster is still being shared. ARDC (Australian Roller Derby Coalition) is currently sharing it, so hopefully the very large derby community will get behind it too.

Thinking of you Leisl and your family xo

Hey,
That's great. Have asked a few friends around that play Derby to share, and it's obviously gotten out, so that's a bonus. I love my Derby community!

It would be awesome if they did. It's really hard trying to deal with everything, but Derby at least lets me destress in a good way :0)

Thanks xx

Did the family know anything was wrong before she went missing? It sounds like dad & sister and her were all close

Great new article about Leisl - the text message info was new to me

TWO days after Leisl Smith was last seen, her father received a mysterious text message from her mobile phone which police believe was intended for someone else.
It read: ''F--- you. I can't do this and I'm not going to keep your secret any more.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/agonising-wait-for-leisls-family-20130202-2dr95.html#ixzz2JmHzb98F

Edinburgh Lass, you beat me to it!

There is so much that the police aren't telling us for whatever reasons they see fit. There is stuff that we know, that we are prevented from saying publicly (e.g. the text messages up til now). The information in the article had to get cleared by the police and the newspapers legal department before it could go to press. Very bloody frustrating indeed.

But at the end of the day, all we want is to find out what the hell has happened to her.

In an article on pg 3 of the thread it stated that she had not used her mobile phone since she went missing. We now know that is incorrect. I assume that all incoming and outgoing numbers she called/texted prior and since have been traced back to people!?

Could it be that the text was intended for SS but he just doesn't know why she sent it?

Hi everyone. I have been reading about Leisl both here and in the MSM. I live a few hours north of where Leisl was last seen. In my town, there is restricted parking in a lot of places. Most of the supermarkets have a two hour time limit. If I am going on a day trip with other people I usually meet them at the bus station in town, as I can park my car there all day, or for a few days, without receiving a fine. It is also a fairly visible space, so the car is fairly safe from theft/vandalism. So I am guessing that the station was a convenient meeting place for Leisl to leave her vehicle and meet someone else.

The new info about the SMS's is difficult to define. I was reassured, at first, when the article in todays media stated that the police did not think that the first text her dad received was meant for him- if it was meant for someone who she felt threatened by, at least she wasnt with that person, otherwise she would have just said it, rather than text it. The second one was a bit more worrying. What is she apologising for? Something she has done, or something she is going to do? Or just for disappearing?

Eccsi- is Leisl involved in Derby? Our league resumes this week. I have joined the find Leisl group, and shared the link on our leagues fb page, but I could print out the poster and display at the rink if it a place she might go.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/l...nb3YuYXUlMkZtZWRpYSUyRjI4MzMyLmh0bWwmYWxsPTE=

Investigations continue into disappearance of Leisl Smith - Strike Force Wehl

Monday, 04 February 2013 09:09:35 PM

Police are renewing their appeal for public assistance into the suspicious disappearance of a Central Coast woman last year.

Leisl Smith, 23, left her Wallarah home in her car about 1pm on Sunday 19 August 2012.

Concerned family members alerted police when she failed to return home and she could not be located or contacted.

Extensive searches have been conducted for Leisl; however, police have been unable to locate her.

Strike Force Wehl – comprising detectives from Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command – was subsequently formed to investigate her disappearance.

Leisl’s car, a Honda Accord, was found abandoned at the Tuggerah Lakes Railway Station car park on Wednesday 26 September.

Inquiries revealed that Leisl’s mobile phone was used in the days immediately after she was reported missing; however, she has not accessed her bank accounts or sought any medical assistance since that time.

Strike Force detectives are again appealing for public assistance in an attempt to establish the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

Investigators have also considered the possibility that Leisl may have travelled to rural NSW towns. These inquiries are continuing.

Tuggerah Lakes Crime Manager, Detective Inspector David Waddell, said police are treating her disappearance as suspicious and have serious concerns for her welfare.

“Leisl’s disappearance is out of character and both her family and police are extremely concerned for her welfare,” D/Insp Waddell said.

“If anyone has information about the whereabouts of Leisl Smith, or who may have seen her since she went missing, then we would like to hear from you.”

Anyone who has seen Leisl, or knows her current whereabouts, is urged to contact Tuggerah Lakes Detectives on (02) 4356 6099 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

I live fairly locally and it's nice to see the renewed appeal - all over the local radio this morning.

In an article on pg 3 of the thread it stated that she had not used her mobile phone since she went missing. We now know that is incorrect. I assume that all incoming and outgoing numbers she called/texted prior and since have been traced back to people!?

Could it be that the text was intended for SS but he just doesn't know why she sent it?

Hey Goldilox,
There is information that we are not releasing for various reasons, and in addition, sometimes, the police need to clear it first before we can. Legal bits and all that.

The text was NOT intended for SS, because as soon as he rang back, the phone had been switched off. The second message WAS and again, phone switched off. We have no idea about the first text and even less about why she would apologise in the second.

So please understand that while information that we have we would love to share around, sometimes we are unable to for various reasons, usually legal ones.

Cheers
J

The new info about the SMS's is difficult to define. I was reassured, at first, when the article in todays media stated that the police did not think that the first text her dad received was meant for him- if it was meant for someone who she felt threatened by, at least she wasnt with that person, otherwise she would have just said it, rather than text it. The second one was a bit more worrying. What is she apologising for? Something she has done, or something she is going to do? Or just for disappearing?

Eccsi- is Leisl involved in Derby? Our league resumes this week. I have joined the find Leisl group, and shared the link on our leagues fb page, but I could print out the poster and display at the rink if it a place she might go.

Hi Mel 1303,
The first text was not meant for our dad: both of us have no idea what on earth she was talking about. We have no idea what she was talking about on the first text, and even less of an idea about why she was apologising.

Leisl isn't involved in Derby, but I am. If you would print out the poster it would be greatly appreciated: she may not go to a game locally, but someone who does turn up, may have seen her. PM me, and we could probably supply you with some posters. At any rate, it's a great idea :)

We have a meeting on Fri with the Police and we will pretty much see where things go from there.

Thanks everyone for all your support and ideas. Everything helps.

J.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenabarlow
Back