Australia Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Hedley Thomas and Bravehearts Luncheon 22nd Feb. This event was organised prior to the arrest of CD so our MC cautioned us to be mindful as there are proceedings under way. With that in mind we were sent an email 4 days prior to the event and were asked to submit questions. No questions were taken from the floor

The interview with Hedley was conducted by Zoe from Bravehearts. Hedley had just flown in from Hong Kong. He’s very humble and unassuming IMO and very tall!

Part 1 covered podcasting in general.

Hedley (HT) was inspired by his wife to try podcasting as she listens to crime podcasts

HT reads everything he can about a case and talks to as many as possible and 1st wrote in Courier Mail in 2001 about Lyn’s disappearance where he came away feeling confident that someone had committed a crime

From speaking with Lyn’s friends and family they were very authentic and he felt that a podcast would convey that emotion far more than reading about it

HT now feels podcasting should be a significant part of investigative journalism and he will focus on that in the future

HT knew nothing of audio production when he bought his HZNZ device.

Over 110 gig has been handed to police, there will be a lot of car/road rumble on the tapes as a lot of interviews were conducted when he was on the road. When he 1st went to Bayview the cicada noise was massive

The story of Lyn became bigger than he expected, originally thought 8 episodes now 16

HT had kept letters from former students of Cromer High after 2001 article

Slade Gibson, Audio Engineer was recommended to HT and maintained balance and composure to the podcast( he was not at the event as advertised)

Teachers Pet podcast has reached over 41 million to date

……….

All MOO from attending this event and very happy I did.
I have part 2 but don't want to bombard everyone, so please let me know if you are happy to read a lot. I just can't condense anymore as I took 16 pages of notes over almost 3 hours.

Part 2 Zoe interviewed HT and Michelle Walsh (MW) a former student Cromer High who had CD as a teacher, she had met Lyn and babysat children occ.

HT wanted to infuse voices of friends/relatives on podcast, after 1st episode some students started coming forward who were aware of CD and Joanne’s relationship at school. They wanted to make a difference into the unfolding investigation.

MW became involved after episode 2. On Cromer FB page Phil Webster put a call out to former pupils

MW was taken back to when she was 15 and remembered a Miss Bush (former teacher) crying telling MW Lyn had gone missing

MW adored CD at that stage, CD grilled MW about what she’d been told about Lyn’s disappearance and he told her to shut up.

A number of people started coming forward and filling in parts of the jigsaw

A parallel story of student/teacher culture came out of the podcast. Discussion on predatory behaviour and if grown men can get away with this what else could they get away with.

CD and Joanne often in staff room alone with door closed

Cromer High was “out of control” and multiple teachers involved

Stikeforce Southwood formed to investigate allegations of student abuse

From year 7 onwards MW and her friend M had been driven home after classes by CD and then CD and PD. They felt special but MW now realises it was GROOMING.

HT received criticism about language in early episodes ie: teenage lover, affair etc. He rang Hetty Johnson for advice

HT wonders if someone may know more, not that they were a part of the planning but may know what happened. This will come out in court he believes.

Joanne paid a huge price in life for being a vulnerable 16 year old who was groomed

1990 and 1998 Joanne went to police with her suspicions. She was going to speak with HT but withdrew so HT then relied on her taped interviews with Police from 1998

All MOO and to be continued...

Continuing part 2...

Discussion on vicarious trauma and self care. HT is a good listener and it does affect you. When he spoke with Beverley (former babysitter ) she became very distressed at what she had seen happening between Lyn and CD. HT walks on the beach and goes to the race track to de-stress

Former Cromer High students getting counselling. MW has taken up the cause of grooming and education surrounding that. There are no child “protection” laws just child “reaction” she wants to see a change

HT an introvert and podcasts suit him

Hugh Jackman has called HT many times and wants to help HT navigate through Hollywood should this eventuate

What is Justice? HT expressed for him it was a successful outcome to multiple trials over the next 2 to 3 years. Whilst he respects the presumption of innocence he wants successful outcomes and those who are responsible to pay the price. MW wants the right outcome so other victims anywhere in the world can feel courage to come forward

HT also stated whatever happens, one of the outcomes from the podcast is around the world millions of women/daughters/sons are listening and will have a chance to understand the warning signs re grooming and they will be better prepared for predatory behaviour.

…………………………….

There were almost 200 people in the room and I felt a confidence in the air that there will be a conviction and possibly/hopefully more arrests?? (particularly in relation to sexual misconduct)
This is all MOO and IMO one could not come away from this event and feel anything but Justice is coming albeit a little late.
There is a Facebook page called Teachers Pet Podcast Fangroup that has a lovely photo of HT, MW and Zoe. It's a closed group with over 9000 members.
P.S. I had a champagne for sleuthers and a lovely 2 course meal. I attended by myself but sat at a table with a variety of people, one of whom (a lawyer) thought I was famous..bahahahah..nooooo

I hope Dawson's judge sees things differently.

Dad's pain after daughter's husband cleared of her murder

The father of a mother-of-four killed by her husband says he's devastated that a Supreme Court jury cleared him of murder.

Edmund Ian Riggs killed his wife of 17 years, Patricia, burying her body twice and lying about it for almost two decades.

He was eventually charged by police after his wife’s remains were discovered buried in the backyard of his former home in the Brisbane suburb of Margate.
“It’s innocent until proven guilty, there’s two parties involved in it, one party is dead so you’ve only got one story,” Mr Knowles said.
“I just pushed her away, I just didn't want her in my space,” Mr Riggs told the court.

“She fell backwards and down and the back of her head or neck hit the post of the bottom of the bed rail,” he said.

Mr Riggs didn’t get help or call an ambulance, just bundled her body into the boot of his car and buried her in bushland.

'Callous bloody coward': Dad's pain after daughter's husband cleared of her murder

Thank you so much for your posts regarding the luncheon PI. :)
Great to hear there was an overall feeling that Justice (hopefully in the form of a conviction) would be forthcoming.
Interesting to note that Hedley has other notes from former Croner High students written as far back as 2001. Possibly on their own not significant but fast forward 18 years will certainly help corroborate other students' recent revelations of misconduct by teachers at the Croner High.

Just one question PI, you lost me a little with the Hugh Jackman part though. Can you please clarify what he wants to help him with. Much appreciated, thanks

Thank you so much for your posts regarding the luncheon PI. :)
Great to hear there was an overall feeling that Justice (hopefully in the form of a conviction) would be forthcoming.
Interesting to note that Hedley has other notes from former Croner High students written as far back as 2001. Possibly on their own not significant but fast forward 18 years will certainly help corroborate other students' recent revelations of misconduct by teachers at the Croner High.

Just one question PI, you lost me a little with the Hugh Jackman part though. Can you please clarify what he wants to help him with. Much appreciated, thanks

Thanks C&L, I'm not a wordsmith but did my best, I could have explained the Hugh part better. Apologies.

Just as we were finishing the event somebody asked Hedley if Hugh Jackman was going to play him in the movie? We all looked puzzled until Hedley explained that Hugh Jackman had heard about the podcast and became interested in the whole story. Hugh contacted Hedley on several occasions and from what I understand Hugh felt that this could be a story that Hollywood would make into a movie. If that was to happen Hugh has offered to help Hedley with the ins and outs of dealing with Hollywood.( I actually have the word "avoid exploitation" in my notes) I haven't been able to verify this anywhere else but someone obviously had heard and Hedley responded. I guess time will tell.
All MOO

We live in hope for justice for Lynette.

Edmund Ian Riggs finally tells family where he buried his wife Patricia

After two decades of begging, the family of Patricia Riggs could be one step closer to finding her body after her husband finally spoke.
Edmund Riggs was found guilty on February 13 of the manslaughter of his wife at Redcliffe in 2001.

After 18 years of lying about Patricia’s fate, a sentencing review on Wednesday heard Riggs had finally told authorities where to look for the rest of his wife’s remains.
Killer husband finally reveals wife’s remains

Thanks C&L, I'm not a wordsmith but did my best, I could have explained the Hugh part better. Apologies.

Just as we were finishing the event somebody asked Hedley if Hugh Jackman was going to play him in the movie? We all looked puzzled until Hedley explained that Hugh Jackman had heard about the podcast and became interested in the whole story. Hugh contacted Hedley on several occasions and from what I understand Hugh felt that this could be a story that Hollywood would make into a movie. If that was to happen Hugh has offered to help Hedley with the ins and outs of dealing with Hollywood.( I actually have the word "avoid exploitation" in my notes) I haven't been able to verify this anywhere else but someone obviously had heard and Hedley responded. I guess time will tell.
All MOO

Thanks PI. Hopefully if a movie does ever eventuate the closing scene is Chris sitting alone in his jail cell

Real Crime Profile have done a Part 2 of their profiling of Joanne Curtis. Have listened to both parts and well worth the listen.

They make it quite clear they see Joanne a victim in all of this and make a good fist of justifying why. Here's the shortcut:

Episode 175 - The Teacher's Pet - Profiling Joanne Curtis Part 2

They are really getting their teeth into this case and intend to make a few more pods about it.

The Teacher’s Pet podcast has been taken down as Chris Dawson faces trial for the murder of his wife Lyn.

The Australian said it would be taking down existing episodes in Australia from Friday following a letter from the New South Wales Director of Public Prosecutions.

The letter requested 16 episodes be taken down.

Teacher's Pet podcast taken down as Chris Dawson faces trial

The Teacher’s Pet podcast has been taken down as Chris Dawson faces trial for the murder of his wife Lyn.

The Australian said it would be taking down existing episodes in Australia from Friday following a letter from the New South Wales Director of Public Prosecutions.

The letter requested 16 episodes be taken down.

Teacher's Pet podcast taken down as Chris Dawson faces trial

That's part of the reason I download things of interest and save them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821