Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All that redacted stuff in the police files, stuff they couldn't tell Sally, that's all going to be uncovered at the inquest surely? The answer is already in that file. 30 September! That's a long time to wait. And hopefully it will be worth waiting for. I don't think her disappearance is as convoluted as some make it out to be.

Former Aussie super detective Ron Iddles always says that when a cold case re-opens the answer will already be in the file.

Just listened to conversations and just when I’m interested in this story again, Brian has to go and ruin it. He really needs to be careful with just how much he wants to strongly imply that Ferdinand is behind Marions disappearance. I don’t understand how they can be so adamant that someone else is involved and that she didn’t leave upon her own accord , when they know she purposely didn’t tell Sally so much information that she could have easily told her. Then to draw comparisons to Marions case and Allison Baden-clay, that’s just insulting. I really hope Sally finds the answers but the tabloid style that Brian loves to go down is really disappointing to the whole podcast.

I'm very curious too. But over half the file contents are redacted and the police were extremely reluctant to give anything to the family. I am hoping they did have a reason for that. I remember how cagey the police were at the beginning of the podcast. They definitely had a very important piece of evidence that they couldn't give out. It's just as well the podcast has been able to push this to an inquest inquiry - because otherwise it seems the police would have just sat on any information they had received already. :cool:
It may be a quite simple explanation that the police have someone mentioned in the podcast under investigation due to some other incident not to do with Marion's disappearance.

It may be a quite simple explanation that the police have someone mentioned in the podcast under investigation due to some other incident not to do with Marion's disappearance.

I wholeheartedly agree with you! I believe that in Marion's file for the past 20 years, names have come up that are under investigation for other potential and alleged crimes. Some of these people have been mentioned in the podcast and some have not.

I have noticed a pattern in some of the people surrounding Marion at the time of her disappearance. More on that later ;)

So, there is a pattern I noticed while researching last year, but only felt confident enough to speak about now after listening to the latest conversations episode.

Realising that a ‘Remakel’ worked at the Trendwest opposite the Arts Centre really solidified to me that there was something very fishy going on in the area relating to property investment and potentially... scams.

Curiously, all these instances have some sort of link to Marion… it may just be a coincidence but it is also very hard to ignore.

Trendwest / Worldmark is a resort and property investment business. A ‘Remakel’ is suspected of working there sometime between 2001-04.

Graham Childs was the Senior Constable from Byron Bay Police who took Sally’s original report for her missing mother. According to his LinkedIn, he retired from the police force November 2002 and went on to work in sales for a string of retirement village and resort property investment companies. You can google some of those companies and find they have been in the news for scamming elderly and vulnerable customers/residents.

Graham Patrick Higgins was the former assistant manager of the Commonwealth Bank, Byron Bay branch where Marion withdrew her cash. He went on to be manager at a different Commonwealth Bank branch where he was found guilty of extorting funds from elderly and vulnerable customers. If you Google him, there are news articles detailing what he did.

Fernand Remakel from Luxembourg (mentioned in podcast) plus his wife, sister and brother in law, own several property investment companies around the world.

Here is a public document revealing the company name is Rema Invest SC: www.opengazettes.com/gazette_notices/329965762

Here is another. Notice the very bottom where there are a bunch of similar companies around the world: www.datocapital.lu/companies/Rema-Invest-Sci.html#similar

There are many of these business registration documents for Fernand Remakel, made public online. From there you can google the company websites.

Interesting, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, there is a pattern I noticed while researching last year, but only felt confident enough to speak about now after listening to the latest conversations episode.

Realising that a ‘Remakel’ worked at the Trendwest opposite the Arts Centre really solidified to me that there was something very fishy going on in the area relating to property investment and potentially... scams.

Curiously, all these instances have some sort of link to Marion… it may just be a coincidence but it is also very hard to ignore.

Trendwest / Worldmark is a resort and property investment business. A ‘Remakel’ is suspected of working there sometime between 2001-04.

Graham Childs was the Senior Constable from Byron Bay Police who took Sally’s original report for her missing mother. According to his LinkedIn, he retired from the police force November 2002 and went on to work in sales for a string of retirement village and resort property investment companies. You can google some of those companies and find they have been in the news for scamming elderly and vulnerable customers/residents.

Graham Patrick Higgins was the former assistant manager of the Commonwealth Bank, Byron Bay branch where Marion withdrew her cash. He went on to be manager at a different Commonwealth Bank branch where he was found guilty of extorting funds from elderly and vulnerable customers. If you Google him, there are news articles detailing what he did.

Fernand Remakel from Luxembourg (mentioned in podcast) plus his wife, sister and brother in law, own several property investment companies around the world.

Here is a public document revealing the company name is Rema Invest SC: www.opengazettes.com/gazette_notices/329965762

Here is another. Notice the very bottom where there are a bunch of similar companies around the world: www.datocapital.lu/companies/Rema-Invest-Sci.html#similar

There are many of these business registration documents for Fernand Remakel, made public online. From there you can google the company websites.

Interesting, no?
That is all interesting info and good sleuthing. I can’t pull together in my head what that could mean in relation to marions disappearance though unless you think she might have become aware of something dodgy going on in the industry and was silenced?

All very interesting nonetheless

Well, it’s a few things… investment scammers don’t normally create these investment opportunities out of thin air, from their own brain. They’re often invited to take part in a ‘business opportunity’ by someone they know. It’s not altruistic. You don’t get money making tips for free. Dodgy people seek out like minds to help each other out for a piece of the pie, but also to have a scapegoat and someone else to blame, should they need to. Just like a Ponzi scheme or the mafia.

I think all the possible scenarios about Marion’s disappearance talked about here, remain the same. Marion might have had enough of TSS, she felt lonely, her kids were grown up, she might have been sick (or someone convinced her she was sick to make her more vulnerable and jump into the scam even quicker!), and she potentially got swept away by a Remakel looking for love who promised her companionship, travel and adventure.

She may have been talked into an investment opportunity too. After all, she did rapidly sell her house at a loss and say she wanted to buy something else near the beach… a time share, resort or retirement village with excellent return rates perhaps?

She was still made to change her name to his initials (this might’ve helped him gain control of her finances or the new home?), she still went to Europe, she may have got married (a fake ceremony to further seal her trust?), she returned to Australia to tell her family and ship her container (but in reality he had to come back with her to withdrawer her money because she didn't change her name at bank like he thought she did and therefore couldn't access it from Luxembourg?), her money was withdrawn, and she disappeared.

These new details might shed light on who, why, and how they got away with it - the back end of it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might explain why there were no red flags at the bank and why her money was withdrawn in instalments.

If you read up on Graham Patrick Higgins, his client “entrusted him with a cheque for $78,303 in 2001. This money was to be invested in a fixed-term deposit account. Higgins instead split the cheque into eight bank cheques for $8600 each. He then authorised those cheques to be cashed in. Shortly after these cheques were cashed in, the court heard that money had found its way into Higgins' brother's bank account. Cheques were also issued to Higgins' stock-broker, builder and his computer company.”

It might explain why, as Sally stated, something funny was going on at the bank when she showed the assistant manager her mother’s photo… the closing of the door, etc.

It might explain why Sally’s initial police report was ignored, why the initial file was lost, why up until 2011 some police insisted Marion had been identified while other police were sure she had not (this was verified by the FOI emails).

So, we have a missing woman with drained bank accounts, something funny going on at bank, something funny going on at police, something funny about a Remakel looking for love with links to Luxembourg. Previously, there was no real link between these. Now there might be - investment scams. Might they have known each other? Was Remakel the main culprit and the other two ‘aids’ who got a piece of the pie? It ties a tidy bow.

Or maybe this is just an outlandish reach, lol.

Australian & UK Universal Hermetic Prayer is held by someone called Omi who has been an Alchymeic practitioner for over 20 years and spends most of her time abroad teaching the Alchymie of Hermes Far Eastern Shining. I wonder if Marion ever came across these people whilst she was in the UK.

Wondering if we are been sent down another rabbit hole with the Trendwest / Remakel, Trendwest was located opposite the arts centre that Marion frequented but it did not open until 2000. The person obviously had a tax number to be paid, so presumable the police could easily find if there was a Remakel in the country.

Last edited:
I am guessing that although it didn't open until a few years later, the assumption is after thinking there was nobody of that name residing in Australia at that time or evidence of anyone of thst name coming or going from the country prior or since, other than Florabella.. someone calling themselves remakel at the very least was living in or around the gold Coast vicinity 4 to 7 years later and likely could have been in 1997 aswell. Whether purely for payment purposes, someone in that vicinity held a bank account under the Remakel name and worked for a company involved in property investment, in an area Marion had talked of relocating to to buy a home on the coast just a few years earlier. Perhaps on 1997 this named remakel worked at another similar company in the area? May be worth looking into names of these companies that operated on the gold Coast at that time and any evidence of property investment scams that may have been happening or reported at that time.

Just listened to conversations and just when I’m interested in this story again, Brian has to go and ruin it. He really needs to be careful with just how much he wants to strongly imply that Ferdinand is behind Marions disappearance. I don’t understand how they can be so adamant that someone else is involved and that she didn’t leave upon her own accord , when they know she purposely didn’t tell Sally so much information that she could have easily told her. Then to draw comparisons to Marions case and Allison Baden-clay, that’s just insulting. I really hope Sally finds the answers but the tabloid style that Brian loves to go down is really disappointing to the whole podcast.
I agree, his style is like one of those cheesey ‘a current affair’ style of reporters.
Having said that, my gut tells me that Ferdinand is involved, but Brian should not be voicing that in the media.

I am guessing that although it didn't open until a few years later, the assumption is after thinking there was nobody of that name residing in Australia at that time or evidence of anyone of thst name coming or going from the country prior or since, other than Florabella.. someone calling themselves remakel at the very least was living in or around the gold Coast vicinity 4 to 7 years later and likely could have been in 1997 aswell. Whether purely for payment purposes, someone in that vicinity held a bank account under the Remakel name and worked for a company involved in property investment, in an area Marion had talked of relocating to to buy a home on the coast just a few years earlier. Perhaps on 1997 this named remakel worked at another similar company in the area? May be worth looking into names of these companies that operated on the gold Coast at that time and any evidence of property investment scams that may have been happening or reported at that time.
Sorry I must have missed this. What is the evidence of a Remakel having a bank account in QLD or working for a property investment company?
I take it you realize Ferdinand is involved in property development in Luxembourg?

Sorry I must have missed this. What is the evidence of a Remakel having a bank account in QLD or working for a property investment company?
I take it you realize Ferdinand is involved in property development in Luxembourg?

Todays podcast that someone phoned the tip line and said a Remakel worked at Trendwest on the Gold Coast around 2000 - 2004 the tipster was a payroll lady and said she remembered the name.

Trendwest was timeshare

Interesting, no?

That is very interesting. Is that information about a Remakel working for a property investment business in Australia from the latest Conversations on the podcast?
If that is the case, that does it for. There are no signs of any remakels in Australia and then we have an F. Remakel placing an ad in 2004 with the same birth year as Ferdinand. Ferdinand is involved in property investment in Luxembourg and then there is a Remakel working in property investment just a few years before not far away.
Marion changes her name to Remakel.
That’s it for me, he’s involved. The question is, what happened!

Oh I see there is a Bonus Conversations up!
Wish I had known before I read the posts here.
Couldn't understand why the talk about some Remakel working somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli