Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe, and correct me if I'm mistaken, RB supplied the extra bag for JO's winter clothes to be taken with her. At the inquest AC asked JO if her original bag, the one left in Amsterdam, was locked to which she replied "Oh yes, it had three locks on it". JO never bothered to retrieve this bag as it contained nothing of importance.
The whole bag 'thing' never made much sense to me at all. He had already taken possession of her documents which from memory, he kept in a small case with his initials R.L.W on it. If his testimony is to be believed, all he took with him was a small toiletry bag which leaves the document case and his silver suitcase in the Amsterdam locker with JO's suitcase.
If one of the bags contained something illegal, it wouldn't take a Sherlock Holmes to trace it back to him via JO so it can't be for that.
There IS a reason, I just can't figure it out yet!

Although he might be able to get away with travelling on a ferry with his undies just scrunched up in his hand, he's on his way back to Oz and he needs luggage to look the part.

This is probably unrelated but there is an Armidale Rd near Nymboida. The tip off that said she was in Armidale?? @BonnieB @LEO123 2917 Armidale Road, Blaxlands Creek, NSW 2460 - Livestock for Sale - realestate.com.au this is only 12kms from Nymboida.
Is this a recent sale advert? We need to be looking at a possible sale or rental or vacant property prior to 1997 in this general area. Yes, Armidale Road had me thinking too. A needle in a haystack is going to be difficult to find.

Is this a recent sale advert? We need to be looking at a possible sale or rental or vacant property prior to 1997 in this general area. Yes, Armidale Road had me thinking too. A needle in a haystack is going to be difficult to find.
Yes a recent advert. I did a quick search for sales in the 90's in the area but I need to look further (at work should be working haha) ;)

I’ve always suspected she didn’t fly into Heathrow, although I hate to accuse her of lying. When JO traveled she had no clear itinerary and I’d guess same true to Marion (although she couldn’t exactly tell her family she wasn’t 100% clear where she would be). Her travel cards are labeled Europe, then crossed out replaced with S Korea. If RB said take this flight to S Korea, then meet me at Narita…she may not really have known where they were going next. Her real travel may have more closely mirrored JO, but she just wrote Heathrow b/c that was where her family had expected her to go.
I like your thinking @Meligator, because this goes back to my theory that RB was impersonating an airline pilot and "he could do all the flight arrangements."

I should have qualified that info. I believe it was posted some time ago and quoted from her DC. At least that is what I have in my notes.

I have a copy of the death certificate , I’ll try again to upload it

The car accident info came from RB.

Can’t download it without it attaching my personal details...

Cause of death

Myocardial ischaemia

The coroner Dr HW Pascoe ordered burial of the body without inquest.

Last edited:

Cause of death

Myocardial ischaemia

Excuse me for being ignorant but does 'without inquest' here mean without an autopsy being performed? I don't know how you'd be able to tell that she had plaque build up around her heart without an autopsy. Unless that would show up on an x-ray?

I can't find in this forum if anyone has been able to retrieve "Incoming Passenger List" from the U.K Archives post 1960? I can only find records up to 1960.

Do we know of any occasion when RB flew with anyone else other than DDH? I don't think he would have wanted to fly with MB from Narita if his passport was in the name of RW at that time, so I imagine they would have met up in UK or possibly Amsterdam (where he may have gone on the 'under the radar' Harwich ferry). all MOO obvs.

I was thinking about this and I felt that he could have made sure MB did not see his passport name by:

Saying to her, "I'll queue in this line and you can queue in that line. It'll be quicker that way." I often do that when travelling with someone.

If they did meet in Narita, then he just had to make sure MB didn't see it on his departure at Narita, when filling out his Arrival and Departure cards (fill them out in the toilet) and when he arrived in Amsterdam/London.

Last edited:
In order of likelihood:
1. It was the cheapest way
2.For business, as you say above
47.JO really wanted to go there and he agreed to it.

But that is interesting. He seems to be a total creature of habit and follows the same routes to the same places to the same countries - he has well-travelled rat-runs. Wonder if he's been there before.

Oh, and after the Narita disaster with MB in '97, he couldn't fly JAL anymore or through Narita. Didn't Mr C ask if he flew Garuda and he confirmed it?

Garuda used to be a cheap way of flying to Amsterdam.

Yes and no. Looking at past history, it's a place already somewhat familiar to him where he knows the lie of the land. Ideally one you don't have to pay for if you don't already own it - a distant family member or friend or acquaintance who owes you a favour and you stay for free. There will already be a connection to it.

Excuse me for being ignorant but does 'without inquest' here mean without an autopsy being performed? I don't know how you'd be able to tell that she had plaque build up around her heart without an autopsy. Unless that would show up on an x-ray?
I think it means that a physical post-mortem or autopsy is performed, but any subsequent coroner's inquest or inquiry (like MB's here) to determine the cause of death is not undertaken. Sudden deaths like that usually always provoke an autopsy. Inquests and inquires are sometimes a little harder to come by. Ask SL about that!

Last edited:

Cause of death

Myocardial ischaemia

Hello, can you tell me Is the death cert signed by MJR ? - thanks

RB & JO did go to Bali before Amsterdam (I think Amsterdam was their next stop). Why? Definitely not for vacation. Are Bali/Japan places he hides assets? Sells documents? Place for new scams? There must be a reason.
Does anyone think it’s possible they met up in Korea? and spent time there before continuing to London?

Thanks. I knew I'd heard it somewhere. There's lots of Walkers (of course) but several Lances too.
also one of the RB aliases was Wilson (Wilson Bros. International Exports Ltd)

Last edited:
Yes that really is interesting. Extra expense, very out of character. He's either avoiding someone he knows or something or it's not taking him where he really wants to be. And you didn't need a passport for any ferry at the time, and they were pretty much all the same in terms of security, and cameras etc? And both terminated in the exact same location and he could onward to the same destinations from there? Sorry one last question for the expert! - what was his usual ferry route in and out again? What's your take on it?
There is a Haven Zeebrugge stamp in his passport for 28 Sept 1981 (NAA files)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo