Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think the petrol station / maccas sighting was Marion picking him up, taking him to her house, and possibly shipping her things to his house the next day.

And the night Marion didn't sleep at LL's was possibly because she drove him to airport hotel and saw him off in the morning. IMO.

So, do you really believe "the tea chests" story?

Does anyone remember LL saying she knew Marion had a male friend who used to come to the house from time to time? It’s a shame LL gave evidence before RB was discovered, it wouldn’t been good to see whether LL could recall any significant details about the male friend of Marion’s. I suppose the man she was referring to could’ve been GE but maybe she could recall an accent or something like that.

Also discussed in the inquest yesterday was something very interesting:

Marion originally resigned from TSS in April 1997 (please correct me if I am wrong), with her last day being 14 July.

But on the 16 June, she changed her last day to the end of that week, the 20 June.

This is curious considering both their flights.

Why did she resign but not have her ticket yet? Or was the travel date moved forward?

Can’t recall exactly when police re-examined the case (2007 maybe), but thinking had anyone searched the name Remakel in nsw drivers liscences (seems a reasonable police effort), they would have found a Fernand whose license expired and was not renewed in 1997 (and whose NSW address matched a known fraudster). It’s utterly ridiculous that it took this long to identify RB as involved.

Marion originally resigned from TSS in April 1997 (please correct me if I am wrong), with her last day being 14 July.

But on the 16 June, she changed her last day to the end of that week, the 20 June.

Why did she resign but not have her ticket yet? Or was the travel date moved forward?

I think it’s a very common con man tactic to create a sense of urgency. Just guessing here, but wonder if RB was like “We need to leave now if we are going to be able to [fill in the blank].”

Yes - I just cannot get over this part of it either. Leaving suddenly before the end of term was strange and I always thought it might’ve had to do with the school allegations and the fact Sally said she was extremely upset/tired. I have definitely changed my mind about that now we know when RB travelled in 97.

I’ve always wondered whether she booked a round trip ticket or whether she only had a one way ticket. I’ve always wondered how far in advance her flights were booked.

I wonder why RB wanted them to travel on those specific dates instead of a month later when Marion must’ve initially intended to travel.

So, do you really believe "the tea chests" story?
No, not the tea chests per se.

But I do believe she packed her most valuables and placed them in storage for when she returned, and he took them. And also the possibility of her shipping them directly to his house.

His narrative about the tea chests... sometimes you need to reveal a tiny part of the truth to hide the bigger crime. Just in case something comes up later. Or someone saw something... like a neighbour or his kids...

I have full confidence Marion never went to his house three weeks later to pick up the tea chests, or any of her belongings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that her things, or at least some of her things were shipped to his house. She would’ve had valuable things he could’ve sold off for profit.

I certainly don’t believe Marion collected them.

So, perhaps he sorted the most valuable small items from the shipping container within days of it leaving Marion's home and had the boxes delivered to Wollongbar.
That, I can believe
He later invents a fairytale to cover any neighbours who may have seen the delivery.
But I still don't understand why he placed Marion at his home.
Couldn't he have just said he had some books or stuff he bought at a car boot sale delivered?

The boxes have me stumped! At first I thought it was a ploy to redirect attention to this pilot or naval officer but then I thought, why place him at Wollongbar, wouldn't it have been safer to say the pilot arrived at Marion's house as he was leaving for the last time?
Then I thought it was to cover any items that may have been seen at his home. But today he described 'sealed' tea chests that he didn't open.
Why offer an implausible story like the boxes for no reason?
Was it because there was a chance Marion was seen at his house in Wollongbar by a neighbor or passer-by?
Why invent such an unbelievable story that places Marion at his home unless she WAS there? And if she was there, and possibly seen, he had to add the pilot to direct suspicion away from himself.
I’m guessing he didn’t know at the time what police knew. On chance they had evidence of a removalist who dropped all of Marion’s belongings at his house, he created a story to explain why removalist came to his home and why he no longer has to those items.

No, not the tea chests per se.

But I do believe she packed her most valuables and placed them in storage for when she returned, and he took them. And also the possibility of her shipping them directly to his house.

His narrative about the tea chests... sometimes you need to reveal a tiny part of the truth to hide the bigger crime. Just in case something comes up later. Or someone saw something... like a neighbour or his kids...
Yes the part about shipping them overseas makes me think he did that & sold them in europe

So, perhaps he sorted the most valuable small items from the shipping container within days of it leaving Marion's home and had the boxes delivered to Wollongbar.
That, I can believe
He later invents a fairytale to cover any neighbours who may have seen the delivery.
But I still don't understand why he placed Marion at his home.
Couldn't he have just said he had some books or stuff he bought at a car boot sale delivered?
That is purely an opportunity to invent another lover/culprit. After hearing the podcast and how we obsessed over the pilot theory - he inserted it into the story as a way to take the heat off himself. IMO.

Casselden actually asked him today if he made up the tea chest story just to create a another person of interest, hahaha.

Lol, he somehow thinks his testimony is credible and that we would all believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is purely to invent another lover. And after hearing the podcast and how we obsessed over the pilot theory - he inserted it into the story as a way out for himself. IMO.

I agree. His evidence is that he only saw Marion a handful of times in Southport and he was aware Marion knew her neighbours so he couldn’t really spin a tale about meeting a pilot and collecting tea chests there. So he invented this story to kill two birds with one stone 1. To insert the pilot and 2. To ‘explain’ why he might have something of Marion’s if a search of his property was ever to happen. IMO

First time posting but have read the notes in the threads, listened to the podcast & tried to see if I could add any value to so much of the already amazing detective work.

A few comments having lived in German, French speaking countries & apologies if I am repeating anything
• His accent in the live inquest sounds more German than French
• His spelling in some cases and comments in the inquest “How you say in German” … reinforce that

He makes a comment “I left Luxembourg 40 years ago and I never returned there”

In Belgium there is also a town called Luxemburg.

Someone asked about the spelling of the fictitious name that he was unable to change to in 2009. Possibly “Zaccari Zebdel Bozilli” or “Zebdel Zilli”

• For the incoming/outgoing passenger cards, had been curious not just about the handwriting (e.g dot on capitalised i in some cases and unusual ticks in places) but also choice of pen - would a teacher who was quite elegant usually use a sharpie? Or was that something frequently available on flights or at the desk used in advance…

Last edited:
I know I’m a pessimist but I don’t think they have enough to charge him. I think they definitely have evidence that he is a liar, he has coerced and stolen from women, and he knew and had a significant relationship with Marion. I think he murdered Marion but I think the announcement about increasing the reward means they are still searching for a definitive witness leading to definitive evidence that he is guilty not of being a liar and a conman, but evidence that he is a murderer. I also think there are a lot of other victims out there. I think this investigation still has a bit to go yet, but I feel that one thing that has been achieved is plainly revealing that Marion was the victim of a scam. If she left her family “willingly” it was due to manipulate and coercion, with a man who misrepresented his identity. I think it can be acknowledged now by all that she is not living a blissful “new life” somewhere. That at least gives real direction to an ongoing homicide investigation.

They haven't finished with him, yet. They're closing in o
I think Casselden may be doing more than just fishing about a possible night in an airport hotel with Marion before his flight. Whenever Casselden says "are you quite sure about that Mr Bloooom" that makes me think he has evidence/knowledge that we aren't privy to and can't be released yet. IMO
Everytime Casselden says that and RB just flat out denies everything when the evidence is right in front of him. It infuriates me that he's keeping up this charade. I'm hoping, hoping he has a lot more tomorrow and they extend it because of his bumbling answers.

Can’t recall exactly when police re-examined the case (2007 maybe), but thinking had anyone searched the name Remakel in nsw drivers liscences (seems a reasonable police effort), they would have found a Fernand whose license expired and was not renewed in 1997 (and whose NSW address matched a known fraudster). It’s utterly ridiculous that it took this long to identify RB as involved.
The FNR Driver Licence was a Queensland licence. I think in this case AKA has benefitted from the Oz Federal system, that puts transport (and DL issuing) as a state responsibility and lacked any national registration system until late 1997.

Last edited:
So happy to find people talking about this. I’ve watched every day of the inquest and wanted nothing more than to discuss…..

Hoping he is referred to the DPP for prosecution, at the very least for fraud. Deportation, since he fraudulently claimed to have no serious health conditions and no previous convictions when entering Australia. And he can repay centrelink while he’s at it.

I agree. His evidence is that he only saw Marion a handful of times in Southport and he was aware Marion knew her neighbours so he couldn’t really spin a tale about meeting a pilot and collecting tea chests there. So he invented this story to kill two birds with one stone 1. To insert the pilot and 2. To ‘explain’ why he might have something of Marion’s if a search of his property was ever to happen. IMO

I guess so, but there's something not quite right that's bugging me. Ha ha, his whole testimony isn't quite right!
Maybe it's because he described the chests as sealed with metal strips.
It's like when one of your kids tells you a story about where they've been and it all sounds above board but something niggles at you that's not quite right. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth