Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the most recent posts on the FB MB page, Joni, I think, or someone else posed the question why Burwash. Why did RB move there? Why did MB end up there on her dream tour? Someone has to be there to draw RB there as a safe spot. This a mighty big key.

Also, I wondered if the furniture concern wasn't a front for something shady. Or if it started legit and RB embezzled funding.
No idea why Burwash specifically, but it is a beautiful part of England. Also, RB had a pattern of criminal activity in a country where he did not live..and then running to hide there after offending. Remember he was so adamant that he had not committed any crime in Australia (although it is now proven that he did it with the whole passport/name change debacle, not declaring criminal record in Europe etc.) As he then knew Burwash and the area, logical to get Marion to go there..slight digression, I was in Rye last week and absolutely loved it there.

Now we know his literary infatuation, does that shed more light on the places he mentions connections with authors.. like Burwash and Rudyard Kipling?
Could he have chosen Burwash to act out a fantasy the author may have penned that he was copying?
RBs ethos seems to go directly against the authors sentiments in the poem “If-“.

Now we know his literary infatuation, does that shed more light on the places he mentions connections with authors.. like Burwash and Rudyard Kipling?
Could he have chosen Burwash to act out a fantasy the author may have penned that he was copying?
RBs ethos seems to go directly against the authors sentiments in the poem “If-“.
I guess it's all in your own perspective. He doesn't think like you and I.

Agree I have to battle a wall of adverts before I can even read the posts, some days I cant even read the threads as the amount of ads only allow me to see a few mm's at a time, its ridiculous, my current view has 12 ads in it, never seen anything like this on website. It getting to frustrating to even bother logging on which is a shame.
@KiwiNZ just realized no ads on my phone. I prefer using my laptop but with all the ads I may switch.

Pierre Soupart -

Now the White House post in Knokke-Heist makes sense!

Original newspaper links below the translations.

English translation

Pierre Soupart (60) had been at odds for some time with his 82-year-old mother, Marguerite Petit. The last quarrel arose on June 15 last year in the courtyard of the Rallye pension on the Bayauxlaan in Knokke-Heist. Soupaert has been preying on his mother's property for a long time. But she suspected that he would sell it to developers and refused to leave it to him. An argument over a speck of paint peaked on June 15. Soupaert pushed his mother down a step at the back door of the guest house and then wanted to suffocate her with a wet towel. Passers-by came to the cry for help, who were able to free the woman.

In Bruges, the man was initially given a prison sentence of five years, of which 23 months were suspended. Both Soupaert and the public prosecutor's office of Bruges lodged an appeal against the verdict. Soupaert always claimed that he wanted to wipe the blood from his mother's face with that wet towel, but the court of appeal in Ghent did not believe this story and effectively increased the sentence to ten years.

Soupaert was also not ready for his test piece with the attempt. In 2004, the police had to intervene because he harassed his mother, and in 1997 he threatened to set the hotel on fire.

Knokke-Heist

Pierre Soupart (59) has wanted to take over the pension of his 82-year-old mother Marguerite Petit in the Bayauxlaan in Knokke-Heist for many years. Because she does not want him to sell the property to developers, the elderly woman has never answered that question. This created ongoing tensions between mother and son and on June 15 last year the situation got completely out of hand. After a banal discussion about a paint spot, Soupart pushed his mother down a flight of steps at the back door of the guest house. He then tried to suffocate his fallen mother with a wet towel. The woman defended herself violently and when passers-by came to her cry for help, Soupart had to stop his assassination attempt. The police came to arrest Soupart and he has been in jail ever since.

wipe blood

"He didn't want to kill his mother," Soupart's lawyer tried during the pleadings. "He confesses to the push, but he certainly didn't want to choke her. He wanted to wipe the blood from his mother's face with that towel, but the witnesses misinterpreted it.' Soupart's lawyer wanted to have the facts reclassified as intentional assault and battery, but the judge refused to do so yesterday. Soupart was sentenced to five years in prison, of which 23 months were suspended. He has to pay his mother one euro in temporary compensation.

Alcohol problem

Pierre Soupart – from Tournai – is the eldest of four brothers and is a man of twelve crafts and thirteen accidents. At 59, he is still financially dependent on his mother. Until the day of the incident, he came to her for dinner every afternoon. He struggles with a heavy alcohol addiction and has built up a lot of debts. In March 2004, the police had to intervene when he was drunk and tried to extort money from his mother. A few years earlier, he threatened to burn down the boarding house if he didn't get more money.

"His mother strongly refrains from this situation," says lawyer Koen Van Zandweghe. “She struggles with a sense of failure as a mother. She won't see her son for the time being.' Soupart may appeal.

Note the year he tried to set his mothers Place on fire 1997

Joni, I think, or someone else posed the question why Burwash. Why did RB move there? Why did MB end up there on her dream tour? Someone has to be there to draw RB there as a safe spot. This a mighty big key.
Is there evidence that Marion was ever in Burwash specifically? I didn't think so. For sure she was in Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge, which are a 30-40 minute drive from Burwash.

Is there evidence that Marion was ever in Burwash specifically? I didn't think so. For sure she was in Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge, which are a 30-40 minute drive from Burwash.
There is no evidence Marion ever went to Burwash. Not sure FdeH would have wanted to be recognised there some 11 years after he left. Why Burwash and how did he find such a secluded rental property in East Sussex are questions I would like answered.

There is enough evidence to show Marion was in Tunbridge Wells and the Rye area (Burwash is in-between). I don’t believe Marion found the Oast House B&B she stayed at (probably near Rye) and that at that point she was travelling with someone.

There is no evidence Marion ever went to Burwash. Not sure FdeH would have wanted to be recognised there some 11 years after he left. Why Burwash and how did he find such a secluded rental property in East Sussex are questions I would like answered.

There is enough evidence to show Marion was in Tunbridge Wells and the Rye area (Burwash is in-between). I don’t believe Marion found the Oast House B&B she stayed at (probably near Rye) and that at that point she was travelling with someone.
Did anything more come of E VEREKER family research do you know @Lord Peter Flimsy ?

Her death 1982 and the family owned Mottynsden Lodge on Spring Lane right?

The deH living in Burwash approx 1983 to 1986......
1984 kids baptised in Burwash and living at a property called Mottynsden Lodge on Spring Lane.

Marion did say she stayed at an Oast House....

So many coincidences right :rolleyes:

Apologies if this has already been discussed... I've been listening to the latest TLV podcast episode (over and over again!) and trying to get my head around the supposed theft of RB's 50,000 euros in the car park of the Pacific Fair Shopping Centre in 2012.

I'm trying understand what the benefit of this story is to RB (assuming this theft never happened). Is it a tax scam? It sounded like he declared the money on his arrival in Australia. If the 50,000 is subsequently 'lost', does that mean he doesn't have to declare that as income in Australia? There must be some reason or benefit for him to come to with that story to the police, but what is it??

My only other thought is that if he lost or used the money another way (eg gambling/paying someone he owed money to etc) then it's useful for him to have it on record with the police that the money has gone (ie useful to have an official record in terms of any explanation he has to give his wife about where the money has gone)?

Any thoughts?

Apologies if this has already been discussed... I've been listening to the latest TLV podcast episode (over and over again!) and trying to get my head around the supposed theft of RB's 50,000 euros in the car park of the Pacific Fair Shopping Centre in 2012.

I'm trying understand what the benefit of this story is to RB (assuming this theft never happened). Is it a tax scam? It sounded like he declared the money on his arrival in Australia. If the 50,000 is subsequently 'lost', does that mean he doesn't have to declare that as income in Australia? There must be some reason or benefit for him to come to with that story to the police, but what is it??

My only other thought is that if he lost or used the money another way (eg gambling/paying someone he owed money to etc) then it's useful for him to have it on record with the police that the money has gone (ie useful to have an official record in terms of any explanation he has to give his wife about where the money has gone)?

Any thoughts?
My immediate thoughts were that the 'victim' was insured against money/cash loss either personally or via a business and therefore could claim the money back as compensation after such an attack......

Did anything more come of E VEREKER family research do you know @Lord Peter Flimsy ?

Her death 1982 and the family owned Mottynsden Lodge on Spring Lane right?

The deH living in Burwash approx 1983 to 1986......
1984 kids baptised in Burwash and living at a property called Mottynsden Lodge on Spring Lane.

Marion did say she stayed at an Oast House....

So many coincidences right :rolleyes:
I think our Sussex sleuth Aldona (the sleuth who found the baptism records in Burwash) was going to look into that. They haven’t been on here for a while now so not sure what became of that line of enquiry.

I’m hoping to get to a library soon to have a look at the local papers (for the Tunbridge Wells area) for letting agent ads to see if the Burwash property was in there around 1982/83 and how much the rent was.

I also want to look at the Burwash Electoral Roll (held in Brighton I believe) to see who were their neighbours in the village at the time. We know the deH’s were not on the Electoral Roll but that is probably because they were not entitled to vote in UK elections.

As I’ve said in the past I still believe the Playden Oasts is the B&B that Marion stayed at. It ticks so many boxes. Not far from Burwash on the Tunbridge Wells to Rye main A road coming into Rye. Not many rooms but has a bar/restaurant and was popular with overseas visitors which probably included Dutch dentists!

Do we know if it was actually “declared?” Did the money even really exist? Maybe he owed someone money and this was his reason he couldn’t pay up?
Quite possibly the money didn't exist or it may have been gambled away? If the money could not be reclaimed in any way, any attack would at least provide an excuse for money owed to persons unknown or money expected by DDH/family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27