Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned earlier, and according to NAA, the Chusan did depart 10 Jan 1970 and arrive in Sydney 10 March 1970.

Whether they were BOTH actually on that ship is another story. I haven't yet confirmed the port of departure, but so far, her story on this topic checks out. Also keep in mind that they might've named their daughter after this voyage that I suspect at least she was on.

For those asking why the timeline of when they met is so important... it's because many doubt she met him in 1970.

Firstly, it's unusual for 19 year old with choices and her whole life ahead of her, to wait six years for a 31 year old man to get out of jail.

Secondly, WW departed Aus on 15 Feb 1970. How could he be getting on the Chusan on the 10 Jan 1970 in UK? Technically, he was still with wife IK in Australia.

The theory is, they met when he was secretly in Australia in 1974. They can't say they met in 1974 as he hadn't officially entered the country. They can't say they met in 1976 as they just met! And he's trying to hide his history of meeting women, marrying and changing his name (too similar to Marion's case). So, the only answer is to say they met before jail.

15 Feb 1970 – WW and IK depart Aus together, divorced (weren't even married a year!)
Early Jan 1970 – WW and DW meet aboard the Chusan departing Southampton, UK
10 March 1970 – Chusan arrives in Sydney

23 Jun 1971 – WW in prison, France for a long list of charges
21 May 1974 – WW discharged from prison
1974 – Immigration officials suspect WW returned to Aus but no record found
12 Feb 1976 – WW changes name to FDdH
20 Feb 1976 – FDdH marries DW
23 Feb 1976 – FDdH applies for Aus citizenship
25 Mar 1976 – FDdH Aus citizenship granted and Aus passport issued
28 July 1976 – FDdH and DW depart Aus

Please let me know if I got something wrong.

The research skills here are A+++

I've been trying to look myself, and I have found several references to the Chusan departing from London for her final voyage to India in January 1970. I am wondering if anyone knows if it was usual for ships to travel London -> India via Australia? Perhaps this is the reason for the confusion - Australia wasn't its final destination?

At any rate I also cannot find either DdH or RB (or any of his known aliases) on the list.

Honestly you are a gem for this info!
I was wondering WHY ( if she was to be believed) it would be that there was a 6 yr gap from when they met to getting married, given his penance for fast marriages.

She was really insist about the 1970 yr which is why I did believe her. She did travel on that ship coming over,.... but he certainly didnt.
Thank you for clear timelines!

So when they met was probably in 1974 when she was probably 23 or 24yo. But it could also have been 1975 IMO if he didn't come to Australia immediately after leaving prison. He'd have to save up for the airfare or steal to get the money for the flight. They married early 1976 so my guess is they met in 1975 (as he likes quick marriages), he checked out her family's wealth first and realised he could get Australian residence by marrying her in a different name.

I keep going to this archive but it is restricted. Wondering if this ties up with another of his documents that is the ASIO connection....??

Could it have been about possible deportation?

Coroners can withhold evidence in some circumstances (and photos of Marion's stuff at the house would obviously be evidence) but the police don't get to pick and choose what they disclose to the coroner.
My point exactly

You don’t need money upfront to go to rmit uni (hecs loan). Also back then the government would give students (whose parents earned below a certain income) income to study.

You still need to pay for food and accommodation. Even on campus colleges are expensive.

I made an error on my previous post. My screen grab of when the Chusan arrived in Sydney says 10 March 1971 not 1970.

But I think it made these stops:
17 Feb 1970 departed Freemantle
16 Feb 1970 arrived Adelaide
20 Feb 1970 departed Adelaide
23 Feb 1970 arrived Melbourne
4 March 1970 arrived Sydney

In Adelaide (pg 3) I saw Mr & Mrs Walker. Walker is a fairly common name but could be that DdH parent's travelled alone?

The manifests are really messy, I'm still searching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go the date wrong of when the Chusan arrived in Sydney. My screen grab says 10 March 1971 not 1970. But I think it made these stops:

CHUSAN
17 Feb 1970 Freemantle
20 Feb 1970 Adelaide
24 Feb 1970 Sydney

The link does not lead us to Walker. Can you give us the correct link please?
Could be DdH parent's who went on the Chusan - surname Walker

This link does not lead us to Walker. Could you please give us the correct link please?

My theory is that Diane's parents arrived on that ship so she has knowledge of it.
If you've only found the parents on the Passenger List, could Diane have flown out or arrived on another ship later? I think her parents could have been English and they were put on that ship. Did we still have "ten pound Poms" arriving then? I have never heard of that ship before so I think it was an inexpensive way to get here anyway.

Before 1 December 1973, migrants to Australia from Commonwealth countries were eligible to apply for Australian citizenship after one year's residence in Australia. In 1973 the residence requirement was extended to three years, then reduced to two years in November 1984

Last edited:
I go the date wrong of when the Chusan arrived in Sydney. My screen grab says 10 March 1971 not 1970. But I think it made these stops:

CHUSAN
17 Feb 1970 Freemantle
20 Feb 1970 Adelaide
24 Feb 1970 Sydney

Could be DdH parent's who went on the Chusan - surname Walker

yes I think she said she was coming back from a trip with her parents when she met him

This link does not lead us to Walker. Could you please give us the correct link please?

My theory is that Diane's parents arrived on that ship so she has knowledge of it.
If you've only found the parents on the Passenger List, could Diane have flown out or arrived on another ship later? I think her parents could have been English and they were put on that ship. Did we still have "ten pound Poms" arriving then? I have never heard of that ship before so I think it was an inexpensive way to get here anyway.

I think I found her arriving later!

Before 1 December 1973, migrants to Australia from Commonwealth countries were eligible to apply for Australian citizenship after one year's residence in Australia. In 1973 the residence requirement was extended to three years, then reduced to two years in November 1984

Attachments

• ship.jpg
    ship.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 110
  • walker.jpg
    walker.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 102

I've been trying to look myself, and I have found several references to the Chusan departing from London for her final voyage to India in January 1970. I am wondering if anyone knows if it was usual for ships to travel London -> India via Australia? Perhaps this is the reason for the confusion - Australia wasn't its final destination?

At any rate I also cannot find either DdH or RB (or any of his known aliases) on the list.
BBM
From reading the full manifest there were still 300 passengers on board that did not disembark in Australia, some of whom had an address in India so it is possible the Chusan went to India after Australia IMO

Yes, but there is also the possibility only her parent's were on the trip. You would assume her name would be right next to her folks and it isn't.

seems strange that if they were not on that ship why you would give your first born child the middle name which is the name of the ship. I was thinking DdH was a romantic using the ship name as a middle name to reflect where they met. Also being a romantic she would have believed anything FdH told her.

BBM
From reading the full manifest there were still 300 passengers on board that did not disembark in Australia, some of whom had an address in India so it is possible the Chusan went to India after Australia IMO
possibly stopping in NZ?

her name would have been Walker if that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member