Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
From reading the full manifest there were still 300 passengers on board that did not disembark in Australia, some of whom had an address in India so it is possible the Chusan went to India after Australia IMO

Yes possibly.

Wikipedia says: For most of her working life, she carried passengers between London, Bombay, and Japan, but from 1963 also operated to Sydney, Australia. In 1973, she retired from service and was sold to be scrapped at Chou’s Iron and Steel Company Ltd. in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.[2]

Can anyone find the route?

yes I think she said she was coming back from a trip with her parents when she met him
So possibly coming back from a trip with parents and got off somewhere......where they then met....?

P&O Chusan

In January 1970 she had the honour of sailing the final London to India service, leaving Tilbury on the 15th Sep 1970, thus ending P&O’s long association with India. I n July 1971, Chusan suffered a fire in the funnel uptakes while docked in Southampton.

From December 1971 to January 1972, she operated P&O’s first cruise program out of Cape Town, South Africa.

Last edited:
Yes possibly.

Wikipedia says: For most of her working life, she carried passengers between London, Bombay, and Japan, but from 1963 also operated to Sydney, Australia. In 1973, she retired from service and was sold to be scrapped at Chou’s Iron and Steel Company Ltd. in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.[2]

Can anyone find the route?

Haven't quite found the route; but I found this newspaper ad which refers to passengers leaving Adelaide on the Chusan (dates line up) for the "Far East" which I would guess includes India. Looking promising but I am going to do some more checking!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 7.57.46 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 7.57.46 pm.png
    503.6 KB · Views: 18
BBM
From reading the full manifest there were still 300 passengers on board that did not disembark in Australia, some of whom had an address in India so it is possible the Chusan went to India after Australia IMO

In January 1970 she had the honour of sailing the final London to India service

Y
They interview her on the Luxembourg episode.
es I thought that. Time to recap what she said! The plot thickens!
How did they find the money to send David to RMIT University in Melbourne on a pension?
Here’s a curve ball! My sisters theory is that DD was the one that went into the bank to withdraw the money out and the teller sighted her. Plausible??

So if you look at the outward passenger list previously found for passengers embarking from Adelaide, they list the disembarkation points. I am not 100% sure but my guess is:
SG -> Singapore
HK -> Hong Kong
CO -> Colombo
CT -> Calcutta
UK -> UK, pretty self explanatory

If this is correct then yes it did have the last London to India service, and yes the dates line up with DdH's story - except she's not on the passenger list, that I can find.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 8.08.43 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 8.08.43 pm.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 12

11/2/1970
SHIP ENDS AN
INDIAN LINK
BOMBAY, Tuesday (AAP-Reuter). — A 123'
year-old direct sea passenger service between
India and Britain ended on Sunday when the P
& O liner, Chusan, steamed out of Bombay
harbour to a full ceremonial farewell.
An Indian Navy band played as the 24,000
ton liner sailed for ports in East Asia' and
Australia
. P & O Lines, who were the first company to
begin, in 1847, a scheduled passenger service
between Britain and India, were also the last
to break it.

The Chusan must have sailed from India to Australia ....

From Estelle's Link:

The final regular P&O passenger ship sailing from India was on February 8th, 1970, when Chusan departed from Bombay's Ballard Pier - thus ending more than a century of scheduled UK-India main-line voyages.
P&O Chusan (pandosnco.co.uk)

And arrived in Freemantle Aus on 17/02/1970
View digital copy (naa.gov.au)

IMO

From Estelle's Link:

The final regular P&O passenger ship sailing from India was on February 8th, 1970, when Chusan departed from Bombay's Ballard Pier - thus ending more than a century of scheduled UK-India main-line voyages.

IMO
I only see a ‘Miss G Walker’

So if you look at the outward passenger list previously found for passengers embarking from Adelaide, they list the disembarkation points. I am not 100% sure but my guess is:
SG -> Singapore
HK -> Hong Kong
CO -> Colombo
CT -> Calcutta
UK -> UK, pretty self explanatory

If this is correct then yes it did have the last London to India service, and yes the dates line up with DdH's story - except she's not on the passenger list, that I can find.
I am super impressed that you can find the passenger lists!!!!

Do you know if there is a way to find out who boarded the Chusan in the UK ??? The embarkation list for this time period???

Thanks

From Estelle's Link:

IMO

Yes this is the passenger list that was put up yesterday and the only Walker on it is this :

Attachments

• walker 1.jpg
    walker 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 26
  • walker2.jpg
    walker2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics