Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So why are the police in the room? Doesn’t seem they are required there to be witnesses, seems they are there for RB? And why are the police going to talk to him about “how that is going to happen” in respect of him getting to Byron Bay tomorrow!?
I wonder if he's going into custody now they can pin him on some fraud charges?

So why are the police in the room? Doesn’t seem they are required there to be witnesses, seems they are there for RB? And why are the police going to talk to him about “how that is going to happen” in respect of him getting to Byron Bay tomorrow!?
If a Witness for a Coroners Court is required to give evidence, and they say they cant get there with their own transport / means the Police will drive them to attend the Coroners Court.

Casselden is not Sally's lawyer:

Adam Casselden
– representing the Coroner, puts the inquest together and presents it to the court
Bradley Smith from Addisons – representing Sally Leydon, family of missing person Marion Barter
Kim Burke – representing NSW Police Commissioner, Garry Sheehan and Graham Childs
Sam Saadat / Dan from Khoder – representing Dianne de Hedervary (nee Walker) and kids
Bridget Kennedy / Paul Townsend / ? – representing Ric Blum

Thanks for this. I actually thought that Bradley Smith physically switched places with Adam Casselden to ask for the closure. But I also thought that Sam Saadat was representing the entire family, so I greatly appreciate the breakdown.

Might be wrong but wouldn't it be normal for the police to organise transportation of a witness if the location were changing?

I would bet my house on him not cooperating with reasonable instructions and/or a lack of faith and trust in legal counsel. ALL lawyers have an overriding duty to the court; they cannot be complicit in blatant lying. He probably refused to listen to them when they pointed out the total nonsense that is his story and advised him the court would see straight through it.

Long time lurker, first time poster here (a lawyer too, but in NZ). Agreed, my suspicion is that his counsel knew he was going to lie to the court, which as you say can’t be tolerated- in NZ at least if he insisted on lying, his counsel would be forced to withdraw representation. The reason won’t be made public, but it’ll be likely clear to other counsel and the Judge what’s going on.

Interestingly Aussie court procedure is very similar to NZ which is nice and familiar. The Crown lawyer is doing an amazing job, I would have got a lot more angry a lot quicker in questioning this guy!

Also, since I’m posting for the first time, hello everyone, you guys are amazing at finding stuff out.

So in summing up a part of todays evidence....

RB says he works 6 days a week at the factory and on the Sunday he does the shopping for the factory.....

Then RB says he works at the factory during the week and goes home every weekend to the UK to see his family .... and does the shopping in France for the week ahead for the family on the way home.....

And he either drives using the ferry to / from France or flies via Gatwick...... to get to work at the factory...

Yesterday DDH says RB worked at the factory for periods like 10 days straight and then comes home for 5 days to the UK.......

Have I got that correct????

So in summing up a part of todays evidence....

RB says he works 6 days a week at the factory and on the Sunday he does the shopping for the factory.....

Then RB says he works at the factory during the week and goes home every weekend to the UK to see his family .... and does the shopping in France for the week ahead for the family on the way home.....

And he either drives using the ferry to / from France or flies via Gatwick...... to get to work at the factory...

Yesterday DDH says RB worked at the factory for periods like 10 days straight and then comes home for 5 days to the UK.......

Have I got that correct????

All of the above :)

It's hard to say what they actually have on him.
I don't think you can put someone in jail for simply being a fraud.

They can deport him for all the times he lied on Aus immigration applications and for being convicted overseas.
But they can only charge him for his Australian crimes.

The penalty for a fake driver's license is often just a $1000 fine or so.
The penalty for fake passports can be a couple of years to ten years max of jail time.
He took money from GGB but hard to prove, as she gave it to him willingly.
With JO, they'll need to prove he stole title deeds and jewellery, but there's a possibility for 'kidnapped with intent to financially benefit from'.
Similar with Marion, unless they find her remains and can prove he's connected with them.

Edit: Maybe some kind of money laundering due to the transfer of money and security envelopes.

I think there are much better legal experts here who can give much more accurate and better insight.
Would love to hear what the realistic charges could be :)

@Lemondreams hello and welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads